Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 18
Re: OT: RIP Lou Reed
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: October 29, 2013 04:13

I've heard a lot not all of Lou's releases, wasn't a fan of "Sally Can't Dance'.

The original Berlin, the way it was packaged, the booklet was really like a poetry book. He was a bit of an enigma, did you read he said he didn't like the cover of Transformer because he said it didn't look like him?? And then he turns around and that same image is on the cover of Blue Mask.

[cdn.7static.com]

That Kennedy song is very compassionate, nice tribute to JFK on Blue Mask.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Didn't think of Lou Reed as being ordinarily political but it's a good song.

Of course, Mott the Hoople performed Sweet Jane, something about Ian and Lou seems to remind me of the other. Just some of the best music.

Lou seems very much like what one would expect a Pisces to be like, not saying I believe in that but if it is true, he seems to be a good example.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-29 04:51 by BroomWagon.

Date: October 29, 2013 06:34

tatters
MKjan
BroomWagon
He's being called a poet in many articles, that's what I always liked about him.

Of interest to people, I came across lyrics to his song

"The Day John Kennedy Died"

[www.songlyrics.com]

This is interesting:

"I remember where I was that day, I was upstate in a bar
The team from the university was playing football on TV
Then the screen went dead and the announcer said,
"There's been a tragedy
There's are unconfirmed reports the president's been shot
And he may be dead or dying."

------------

JFK was shot on a Thursday I thought, Nov. 22, 1963. This jumped out at me as normally, Football, American Football that is, Gridiron would not be being played at that time of day.

Well, he did say he was at a bar....

Kennedy was shot on a Friday at 1:30 PM Eastern Standard Time. College football is normally played on Saturdays. Maybe Lou really didn't remember where he was that day. Great lyrics, though. The line I really like is, "I dreamed that I was young and smart and it was not a waste."

Had to add one thing to this, the album "Blue Mask" came out in 1982 that has the song "The day John Kennedy died".

John Lennon died, was assassinated in 1980 (in NYC of course), interestingly, that news broke to a lot of people on Monday Night Football.

Just a curious happenstance.

Back to the song, [www.songlyrics.com]

Though you could say the "I dreameds" happen early in the song,

I dreamed I was the president of these United States
I dreamed I replaced ignorance, stupidity and hate

I think one could envision the narrative to be en todo a bit of a dream even if literally he says he was in an Upstate NY bar at 1:30 PM on a Thursday afternoon.

And then a guy in a Porsche with his radio hit his horn
And told us the news
He said, "The president's dead, he was shot twice in the head

Okay, I'm sure there were Porsches around.

The latter here is speculation and perhaps the John Lennon part is totally irrelevant as well. Coincidence.

A very heartfelt song however, I saw at Youtube someone fixed it up as a JFK tribute.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-29 06:35 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: bluesno1fann ()
Date: October 29, 2013 07:46

I still cannot believe it. It's very unexpected and sad. R.I.P.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 29, 2013 08:55

One of his last great recordings.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 29, 2013 14:34

It's very, very sad. First heard the news yesterday afternoon on CNN. They did about a five-minute segment on him. Not nearly enough. Some old footage of him and Andy Warhol. Not to be negative, but we've lost so many artists recently who really weren't that old; and it makes scared for the Stones, especially for Mick T. and Keith. I mean Andy Johns was only 62 when he passed.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 29, 2013 15:47

I read the short announcement and was shocked. Dead at 71? He didnt seem 71, he was one of those artists who never age or maybe he was always 71. Swedens only decent newspaper, Svd, had a good and proper article but I havent really heard anything on radio and almost nothing on TV. Really really weird. Maybe Lou Reed remains underknown in Sweden. Like Chandler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-29 15:48 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 29, 2013 16:07

Iggy Pop's statement on the death of Lou Reed.

It's been the day's biggest news story. The death of Lou Reed closes the book on a true iconoclast, a musician who tore up the rulebook and established a unique voice which still resonates.

Tributes are pouring in for the songwriter, with some close friends and collaborators paying their respects. Iggy Pop was championed by Lou Reed, and the pair grew to become close friends.

Upon learning of Reed's death, Iggy Pop said simply: "devastating news". After taking a few hours to compose his thoughts, the proto-punk legend has now issued the following statement:

"I loved Lou. I admired Lou very much. He was a very genuine person. He was always decent to me. His talent was so wonderful in my life and it gave me great pleasure and guidance. I am sure that his was a worthwhile life, and one he would have enjoyed had it continued longer. He and his wife Laurie were such a good couple. - Iggy"

[www.clashmusic.com]

Posted by: Niebla ()
Date: October 29, 2013 21:30

So sad.
Met him twice and he was really nice.

Lou Reed remembered on Fresh Aire NPR today
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 29, 2013 18:04

today on Fresh Aire interviews replayed, etc.

Re: Lou Reed remembered on Fresh Aire NPR today
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 29, 2013 18:07

Thanks for the update... Just turned on our local station and will be able to catch most of the broadcast.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Re: Lou Reed remembered on Fresh Aire NPR today
Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 18:13

If you miss it, check here tomorrow.....

[www.npr.org]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 29, 2013 23:21

Sad news indeed. The intro to Sweet Jane on Rock n Roll Animal changed me forever.
Steve Hunter really nailed that one.RIP Mr. Reed. peace

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 30, 2013 02:05

RIP Lou Reed passed on the same day as entitled in one of his classic songs-

Sunday mornin', praise the dawnin'
It's just a restless feelin', by my side
Early dawnin', Sunday mornin'
It's just the wasted years so close behind

Watch out, the world's behind you
There's always someone around you, who will call
It's nothin' at all

Sunday mornin' and I'm fallin'
I've got a feelin', I don't want to know
Early dawnin', Sunday mornin'
(Early dawnin')
It's all the streets you crossed, not so long ago

It's nothin' at all

It's nothin' at all

Sunday mornin'
Sunday mornin'
Sunday mornin'
Sunday mornin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-30 02:18 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 30, 2013 05:10

Can't decide whether this is hysterically funny or heartbreakingly beautiful. Maybe it's both.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 30, 2013 18:47

More Homage - Thank You Lou for this song - A true Gem

"You gotta live your life as though you're Number One" You gotta live your life and make a point of having some fun" You certainly did!!!

Date: October 30, 2013 18:51

Salon published this piece which is not to be missed by real Reed-ites.

[www.salon.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 30, 2013 20:40

When I do hear Lou Reed I always think of the Velvets and of course Andy Warhol who gave them a platform during his exhibitions and Nico. I have read countless books and seen films about Andy Warhol / Factory / and The Velvet Underground. In 2007 Lou Reed opened the Andy Warhol exhibition "Other Voices, Other Rooms in Amsterdam, unfortunately I was not there, despite the ban photo engrave the next day I did my thing while I listened to the music of the Velvets in the Museum.

Velvet Underground & Nico-Sunday Morning

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-30 20:48 by runaway.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 30, 2013 21:44

A great song as well

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2013 21:57

Thx for posting a vid with Robert Quine! thumbs up

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 30, 2013 22:08

Without question, my favorite Lou Reed song. And I knew he'd NEVER play it if I saw him:

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 30, 2013 22:15

dcba
Thx for posting a vid with Robert Quine! thumbs up

dcba,

Check out page 3, toward the bottom. I posted the full 1-hour video of Reed's 1983 performance at The Bottom Line in NYC, which has Robert Quine on guitar. The coolest bald guy in rock ever!cool smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 30, 2013 22:16

BroomWagon
Salon published this piece which is not to be missed by real Reed-ites.

[www.salon.com]

I saw that one yesterday, and while I thought the guy certainly has bragging rights for seeing the Velvets a jaw-dropping 350 times, that's a strange kind of "tribute" where the focus is on ME-ME-ME!

Date: October 30, 2013 22:21

Lou Reed song used on Miami Vice? Damn, I never knew that.

[miamivice.wikia.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-30 22:22 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 30, 2013 23:49

Nick Cave talks about Reed

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 31, 2013 00:40

He was a great person, clever, rarely snooty and one of the few sober people that didn't care what you did or were about to do. He loved running around New York, literally.... After John Lennon was shot Lou somehow thought he would be a target. He was a little stingy and way too proud for a bodyguard so instead he ran full speed from store to store when he shopped in the Village. I'd see him running top speed to D'Agostinos, I'd say hey Lou and he'd rashly shove a melon in my face "Is this ripe?" "Looks good" and then he'd dash off. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was not likely an assignation target...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 31, 2013 00:42

DoomandGloom
He was a great person, clever, rarely snooty and one of the few sober people that didn't care what you did or were about to do. He loved running around New York, literally.... After John Lennon was shot Lou somehow thought he would be a target. He was a little stingy and way too proud for a bodyguard so instead he ran full speed from store to store when he shopped in the Village. I'd see him running top speed to D'Agostinos, I'd say hey Lou and he'd rashly shove a melon in my face "Is this ripe?" "Looks good" and then he'd dash off. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was not likely an assignation target...

I didn't expect to laugh while reading this thread but thanks for that...a good story!

Date: October 31, 2013 00:47

Date: October 31, 2013 00:47

Date: October 31, 2013 00:48

Date: October 31, 2013 00:49

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1659
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home