Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 18
Re: OT: RIP Lou Reed
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2013 06:25

RollingFreak
Anyone know of a good place to get Lou Reed bootlegs? I was particularly looking for one of the New York performances from 2003, but anywhere that would just have a ton of stuff archived for download.

Wouldn't it be nice if a video of the December 21, 1973 Concert (R&R Animal y Live) surfaced? That concert should have been taped.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 3, 2013 06:31

Chris Fountain
RollingFreak
Anyone know of a good place to get Lou Reed bootlegs? I was particularly looking for one of the New York performances from 2003, but anywhere that would just have a ton of stuff archived for download.

Wouldn't it be nice if a video of the December 21, 1973 Concert (R&R Animal y Live) surfaced? That concert should have been taped.
I'd literally die. It would be incredible. I question if it was, just because of that time it doesn't seem professionally filming gigs was a typical thing. Obviously it was recorded, and we have the whole thing out already in two CDs, and I'd be surprised if they did anything else other than just that. God I would love to be proven wrong. That would be the holy grail.

I think the closest there is to that is some show from Paris from the next year, where the arrangements are similar, Lou Reed looks similar to how he did on Animal but its a slightly different band.

Date: November 3, 2013 06:47

RollingFreak
Chris Fountain
RollingFreak

I'd literally die. It would be incredible. I question if it was, just because of that time it doesn't seem professionally filming gigs was a typical thing. Obviously it was recorded, and we have the whole thing out already in two CDs, and I'd be surprised if they did anything else other than just that. God I would love to be proven wrong. That would be the holy grail.

I think the closest there is to that is some show from Paris from the next year, where the arrangements are similar, Lou Reed looks similar to how he did on Animal but its a slightly different band.

You are correct - Hunter & Wagner shortly left the band after that historic performance. The 1974 concerts, where Lou Reed's hair is dyed blonde are with a different musical lineup.

What makes this situation frustating is the fact there are many many videos on You Tube of 1974 Lou Reed. However, there are are soundboards of the Euro 1973 Euro tour (Hunter& Wagner) available. They are damn good.

Also, on You Tube you can hear Wagon Wheel Sound Board 1973 and it kicks ass. The band is Tots? I'm not sure who is backing up Lou. In other words, I'm not sure the time frame of what Lou Reed did in year 1973

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-03 06:50 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2013 06:56

I've always liked the Lou track "Wild Child"...anyone familiar with it?

Here it is:

From abc news I came across this list of his 7 'essential' songs. Lists are stupid but Wild Child happens to be on it:

[abcnews.go.com]

Lou Reed Set His Poetry to Rock: 7 Songs to Hear
LOS ANGELES October 28, 2013 (AP)
By SANDY COHEN AP Entertainment Writer
Associated Press
Lou Reed wasn't as much a hit maker as he was a rock 'n' roll poet who influenced and inspired generations of musicians and artists. His one Top 20 hit, 1972's "Walk on the Wild Side," tops this list, but all are essential listening.

1. "Walk on the Wild Side," 1972: "Shaved her legs and then he was a she; she says hey babe, take a walk on the wild side." This trampy transvestite and her key catchphrase became part of pop culture.

2. "Sweet Jane (live)," 1974. Originally a Velvet Underground song, this track got new life when Reed performed it live, and again in 1994, when Cowboy Junkies' sweet cover version was included on the "Natural Born Killers" soundtrack.

3. "Satellite of Love," 1972. Whether it's the gentle melody or the lulling "bum bum bum" of the background singers, this love song remains one of Reed's best.

4. "Wild Child," 1972. A vivid portrait of vibrant life in New York with snarly rock guitars, includes the lines "suicides don't need notes" and "life is a theater, certainly fraught with many spills and chills."

5. "Dirty Blvd.," 1989. Almost as though no time has passed, Reed waxes poetic about the rich and poor on this track that channels the energy of his 1972 solo debut.

6. "Perfect Day," 1972. An ironic ode to drugs or sincere reminiscence of time with a loved one? Either way, this song, revived on the soundtrack of 1996's "Trainspotting," is classic, melancholy Reed.

7. "Coney Island Baby," 1975. Reed's muted delivery matches the tender message and melody of this coming-of-age classic.

Date: November 3, 2013 06:59

Lol, seems he was all over the map in 2003. He had the Tots, which I believe is like 72-73. Then from the late summer to the end of the year Rock And Roll Animal gig, he had the Animal band (which I believe are all different people from the Tots). Then some of them left, some of them stayed, and you get what he had in 74. It all sort of bleeds together. The telling sign (as it usually was with Lou) is whatever run he did, he typically had the same setlist. So all those Animal gigs basically have the same set, all those Tots shows have similar sets, and the ones after Animal also are a hybrid of new Sally stuff and what he was doing on Animal. You can't say the man stayed stationary!

I agree it is frustrating seeing those videos from 74, and having perfect audio from the year before and no video. Maybe since most of the 73 shows were in America the US hadn't quite caught onto filming show? Maybe Europe tended to film more at the time? I'm just spitballing as I don't entirely know why, but it is annoying to a point.

I'm gonna have to look up that Wagon Wheel that you mentioned. One of my favs from Transformer that no one ever talks about and I don't know if I've ever heard it live. Guess I'll also have to look for my personal favorite Lou Reed song Hangin Round which I guess is possible he played at that time. And Animal Language while I think of it lol. I love those hard rockers that Lou did so uniquely.

Date: November 3, 2013 07:09

RollingFreak
Lol, seems he was all over the map in 2003. He had the Tots, which I believe is like 72-73. Then from the late summer to the end of the year Rock And Roll Animal gig, he had the Animal band (which I believe are all different people from the Tots). Then some of them left, some of them stayed, and you get what he had in 74. It all sort of bleeds together. The telling sign (as it usually was with Lou) is whatever run he did, he typically had the same setlist. So all those Animal gigs basically have the same set, all those Tots shows have similar sets, and the ones after Animal also are a hybrid of new Sally stuff and what he was doing on Animal. You can't say the man stayed stationary!

I agree it is frustrating seeing those videos from 74, and having perfect audio from the year before and no video. Maybe since most of the 73 shows were in America the US hadn't quite caught onto filming show? Maybe Europe tended to film more at the time? I'm just spitballing as I don't entirely know why, but it is annoying to a point.

I'm gonna have to look up that Wagon Wheel that you mentioned. One of my favs from Transformer that no one ever talks about and I don't know if I've ever heard it live. Guess I'll also have to look for my personal favorite Lou Reed song Hangin Round which I guess is possible he played at that time. And Animal Language while I think of it lol. I love those hard rockers that Lou did so uniquely.

Ok - the Tots must have been early 1973. By the way, Although different than H&W they match up better with Lou - this is darn good music

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-03 07:16 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 3, 2013 08:29

Those Wild Child quotes are all wrong. It's "the way suicides don't leave notes," and "a life in the theatre is certainly fraught with many spills and chills." That last bit was about his first wife Bettye who was an aspiring actress.

Also, Lou was even more all over the map in '73 to '74 in terms of live musicians than was mentioned. The Tots played with him from July of '72 until April of '73, when he fired them. Moogy Klingman then put together a band featuring several soon-to-be members of Todd Rundgren's Utopia to finish out his American tour. This more elaborate and slightly progressive group, with keyboards, pointed toward the arrangements that were furthered with the Hunter/Wagner lineup. Steve and Dick left at the end of the U.S. leg of the tour supporting Berlin, soon to tour with Alice Cooper (after Steve turned down Bowie's invitation to do the Diamond Dogs tour) leaving the rhythm section (which had already undergone a change in bassist the week before Rock and Roll Animal was recorded). Danny Weis came in on guitar for the blonde haired European tour and stayed as they recorded and promoted Sally Can't Dance. Lou's lineups continued this churning of musicians, with Doug Yule even returning in 1975, though some stayed longer than others, like members of the Everyman Band, until the 80's, when his groups generally featured Robert Quine and Fernando Saunders, and then the late 80's through the 90's, when he generally had Mike Rathke, Fernando Saunders and Tony Smith. Steve Hunter returned in 2008 and 2009.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-03 08:42 by TeddyB1018.

Date: November 3, 2013 08:43

Wow, that Wagon Wheel is excellent! Yeah, the Tots are underrated. I believe they are on the American Poet bootleg concert from late 72 I think. Basically the group he went to most during his early solo years, and they definitely had a good feel for his early solo and VU stuff. They played great setlists back then. Some stuff he'd never do again. Walk It Talk It, I'm So Free, etc. Great great stuff.

That is a very odd list, in that Wild Child is such an out there choice! Amazing song, as that whole first album is. I guess its mostly VU outtakes, although I never knew that so I know them as Lou Reed solo songs. But Wild Child, Going Down, I Can't Stand It, Berlin are all really great tracks. Whole album kicks front to back and its sad that its so criminally underrated. I don't think Lou ever really took it seriously because of that, which is sad because its a really good album. He didn't do that early straight rock stuff very long so I cherish that stuff. Albums like New York and Ecstasy are great, but my holy grail is that old rock stuff he did.

"Always back to Lorraine..." lol! Killer track.

Date: November 3, 2013 08:53

Qoute:

The Tots played with him from July of '72 until April of '73, when he fired them.

Why? I do not know who they were or even existed. I have researched via internet the Tots to no avail.

1972-1973 must've been a very challenging time.

Date: November 3, 2013 09:14

Chris Fountain
Qoute:

The Tots played with him from July of '72 until April of '73, when he fired them.

Why? I do not know who they were or even existed. I have researched via internet the Tots to no avail.

1972-1973 must've been a very challenging time.
Yeah, I knew the Tots with him but just in the very early days. Otherwise, no idea who they are. This is from Wikipedia:

Touring in support of Transformer posed the challenge of forming a band for the first time since joining the Velvets. Reed hired an inexperienced bar band, the Tots. Reed spent much of 1972 and early 1973 on the road with them. Though they improved over the months, criticism of their still-basic abilities ultimately led Reed to fire them mid-tour. He chose keyboardist Moogy Klingman to come up with a new five-member backing band on barely a week's notice. Thus the tour continued with a denser, bluesier and tighter sound that presaged the very successful live albums Reed would record with all different musicians in December.

Here's a more detailed account from Wolfgang's were the previous thing comes from:

Touring to support the album presented Reed with serious challenges: the most daunting was assembling his first post-Velvets band. Following the reactions to his solo debut, Reed knew that comparisons with his former band were inevitable and he wisely chose not to replicate the artistic and experimental approach of The Velvets. Instead he went in the opposite direction, hiring The Tots, who were essentially a bar band of young inexperienced rock musicians. In many ways The Tots were the perfect starting point for Reed. They brought a straightforward guitar driven accessibility to his songs and little stage presence allowing the focus to remain on Reed. The touring repertoire would rely on the strength of Reed's new material, with several choice Velvet's songs scattered throughout the set. He toured with The Tots for much of 1972 and early 1973 and delivered many fine live performances with the oft-bootlegged 1972 set from Ultrasonic Studios in Hempstead, NY being a prime example. Regardless, criticism of the band was relentless and this eventually took its toll. Despite a tour scheduled, Reed would unceremoniously fire his band.
Enter Mark "Moogy" Klingman, who with little more than a weeks notice was handed the responsibility of assembling a new band in time to fulfill the obligations of the remaining leg of Reed's tour.

[www.concertvault.com]

Sad that they got so much crap. They were really good having to learn all Lou's stuff I thought!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 3, 2013 12:06

Now as he has crossed it:

What a great song!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 3, 2013 17:36

RollingFreak
Chris Fountain
RollingFreak

Here's a video from the Paris concert in 1974 that I haven't see until now:

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 3, 2013 17:43

I haven't looked through this entire thread (ooooops!) but did anyone here see the Daniel Richler interview with Lou Reed way back when? It's classic in that Lou and Daniel really didn't get along. I think the interview took place in Toronto. confused smiley

I'll continue to search for it and if I find it, I'll post it here. If memory serves, it was on the first version of MuchMusic perhaps in the late '70's/early '80's. Not certain though........

smoking smiley

Date: November 3, 2013 17:57

Cocaine Eyes
I haven't looked through this entire thread (ooooops!) but did anyone here see the Daniel Richler interview with Lou Reed way back when? It's classic in that Lou and Daniel really didn't get along. I think the interview took place in Toronto. confused smiley

I'll continue to search for it and if I find it, I'll post it here. If memory serves, it was on the first version of MuchMusic perhaps in the late '70's/early '80's. Not certain though........

smoking smiley

Here's a snippet of this Daniel Richler interview: [blog.muchmusic.com]

And here's a kind of documentary about an interview Lou gave to a young sweden journalist who didn't know nothing about him:

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 3, 2013 18:32

Interesting cover version. Bombastic, to say the least.

And another one ....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-04 04:26 by tatters.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 3, 2013 18:34

Here's a snippet of this Daniel Richler interview: [blog.muchmusic.com]

Oh, thank you so much. Very much appreciated.

grinning smiley

Date: November 3, 2013 18:52

Cocaine Eyes

Oh, thank you so much. Very much appreciated.

grinning smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 3, 2013 21:32

treaclefingers
I've always liked the Lou track "Wild Child"...anyone familiar with it?

Here's the live acoustic Velvet Underground version--that is, Lou Reed and John Cale--live at the Bataclan, Paris, 1972.

You hear his Dylan influence in this one--listen to how he phrases "then we talked about Lorraine, it always gets back to Lorraine...."

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 3, 2013 22:52

Garage punk band from Finland did a great cover version of "Leave Me Alone" - the orginal version is on Lou Reed's Street Hassle album

FLAMING SIDEBURNS - " Leave Me Alone" ( Lou Reed Cover)

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 3, 2013 23:15

Lou Reed-Street Hassle

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 4, 2013 00:32

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 4, 2013 03:17

i wrote a short lou thing with a photo i took- [www.therockrag.com]

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: November 4, 2013 04:35

One of the more interesting things I've read about Lou, from Newsweek magazine of all places.

[www.newsweek.com]

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 4, 2013 04:56

and it turns out that it was cancer that killed him

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 4, 2013 05:35

the track I've been listening to this week more than ever is "I can't Stand It".

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 4, 2013 08:04

I've always had mixed feelings about Rock 'n' Roll Animal. On one hand, it's my favorite heavy metal record ever. On this other, it's Lou Reed at his most wasted and disengaged. His record company bought the best band money could buy and propped him up out front. Lou's a mess, slurring his words at times and not playing a note of guitar. I prefer the records where he's playing guitar, clear-eyed, and totally involved (e.g., New York and The Blue Mask).

Date: November 4, 2013 08:43

Its still so unbelievable how sad I am. Its been a week, and I wasn't near the Lou Reed I am of people like the Stones or others yet I'm still so upset. I still don't think its actually sunk in that Lou Reed won't be making new music anymore or continually pissing people off. It sounds overly dramatic, but I genuinely haven't figured out how to live in a world accepting that fact yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-04 08:43 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 4, 2013 12:00

hbwriter
i wrote a short lou thing with a photo i took- [www.therockrag.com]

That's a great read, Chris!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 4, 2013 14:07

ab

I prefer the records where he's playing guitar, clear-eyed, and totally involved (e.g., New York and The Blue Mask).

Imo when he cleaned up his act (1980 or so) his shows became bland and boring. Check any 1984 gigs : all the songs have an FM-ish mainstream arrangement to them : HORRIBLE!

I much prefer this show : >grinning smiley<

"Lou Reed
Live at the Miller Theater, Columbia University
Friday, 21 September 1979

This was the rehearsal show for the Autumn 1979 European leg of Lou Reed’s “The Bells” Tour, and even more significantly, this was a historic show for fans of Suzanne Vega.
Suzanne has repeatedly regaled audiences and interviewers alike with tales of a date who took her to her first rock concert, a 1979 Lou Reed perfomance.

Though she claims she was appalled by his on-stage behavior -- swearing and flicking lit cigarettes into the audience -- the show still impressed her: "Suddenly it hit me that I could write about things I had experienced without softening up the edges or apologizing for it or putting it in a nice package necessarily," recalled Vega in the Los Angeles Times.

And this was the very show that gave Suzanne that revelation, made her a fan of Mr. Reed, and eventually influenced her composition of her most notable hit, "Luka" -- two decades later, Suzanne admitted she "was listening to Lou Reed’s ‘Berlin’ album on the day that I wrote ‘Luka’, probably to sharpen and focus myself."

Disc One
1. Sweet Jane 5:20
2. I’m Waiting for the Man 7:23
3. I’ll Be Your Mirror 6:36
4. Perfect Day 5:42
5. Leave Me Alone 8:56
6. Men of Good Fortune 4:48
7. The Kids 5:28
8. The Bed 5:32
9. Caroline Says II 4:50
10. Looking for Love 6:41
11. Coney Island Baby 12:10

Disc Two
12. All Through the Night 15:19
13. Street Hassle 11:57
14. Rock and Roll / You Keep Me Hangin’ On 14:10
15. Heroin 18:00"

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 4, 2013 15:08

By Patti Smith

[www.newyorker.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home