Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Jagger + Water
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 10, 2013 00:26

I always loved Mick's ceremonial dousing of the crowd, then himself. For me, it kind of humanized him up there; made him more one with the masses, even though he clearly was/in not. But what a beautiful, satisfying illusion. Aquatic bonding.

Very few stars back then would ever risk looking cool and composed. For Jagger, the water seemed like an extra exclamation. His own little extra mile. Daltrey, Bowie, Clapton - can you even imagine? I can't.

What I also found intriguing was how the buckets seemed weightless, especially the ones over his own head. Have you hoisted buckets of water? Heavier, and more cumbersome than you might think. But he made it seem so effortless.

Just an observation...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-10 00:31 by hbwriter.

Re: Jagger + Water
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 10, 2013 00:32

That second photo looks like something straight out of Ringling Brothers' Barnum & Bailey circus. Just a prop to amuse the masses. One of the reasons why The Stones lost that element of danger onstage.

Could imagine the water bucket being trotted out during a club or theater show? But the bigger the crowds got, the more Jagger felt he had to keep the crowd entertained with showbiz props like the water bucket. Rock n Roll Circus indeed!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 10, 2013 00:33

I dunno- there was water in 72 and 73 - not so much a prop as a baptismal party.... smiling smiley

Date: November 10, 2013 00:38

Exactly. That was where the shows got to be just light entertainment. No more screaming, no more riots, just the slick and professional rock n roll circus in motion.

Not that I'm being critical, mind you. But that tour was the turning point of something for sure.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 10, 2013 00:55

I get your point stonehearted, but I like the lighthearted (pun intended) water bucket Mick moments.

Cathartic for both the audience and him...and, who but Mick Jagger could still manage to look sexy sopping wet with a bucket over his head? smiling smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 10, 2013 00:57

stonehearted
Could imagine the water bucket being trotted out during a club or theater show?

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 10, 2013 01:04

He was just so hot!!! No better way of cooling himself downhot smiley

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: November 10, 2013 01:13

Keen observations here, post 1 and others, have to think about it.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 10, 2013 01:55

And there was me thinking it was Jagger tormenting the audience.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 10, 2013 02:21

Good observation hb. The Mick the Baptist years.

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: November 10, 2013 02:33

In the 78 video it shows the beginning of JJF. We see that the song is in full attack mode, and Ronnie is walking around drinking something. In his glory days did Keith really need any others?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 10, 2013 02:40

BroomWagon
Keen observations here, post 1 and others, have to think about it.
thumbs up

Date: November 10, 2013 02:46

bye bye johnny
stonehearted
Could imagine the water bucket being trotted out during a club or theater show?

Yes, well, by 1978 the circus was coming to town.

And it wouldn't be much longer before the bright lemon yellow tights would be making their oft-lamented appearance. Oh yeah, and the balloons as well.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 10, 2013 03:29

Yeah I go with the baptism bit hb...

But I bet Mick wished he'd had one of these babies at Altamont ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 10, 2013 03:29

I thought this was going to be a thread about Mick Jagger and Roger Waters doing a duets album for Christmas.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 10, 2013 03:30

Following The River...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 10, 2013 03:38

treaclefingers
I thought this was going to be a thread about Mick Jagger and Roger Waters doing a duets album for Christmas.

I thought that HB had maybe done an interview with Waters about Jagger, but forgot to add the "s." I wasn't going to say anything treacle, cause I felt stupid, but heck, you were just as stupid. We must not have had enough coffee today.

Date: November 10, 2013 03:39

latebloomer
treaclefingers

I thought that HB had maybe done an interview with Waters about Jagger, but forgot to add the "s." I wasn't going to say anything treacle, cause I felt stupid, but heck, you were just as stupid. We must not have had enough coffee today.

even stupider...I substituted green tea as a health drink and now I have a caffeine hangover.

I NEED A COFFEE...I'm a bit acerbic at the moment.

Date: November 10, 2013 03:50

treaclefingers
latebloomer
treaclefingers

even stupider...I substituted green tea as a health drink and now I have a caffeine hangover.

I NEED A COFFEE...I'm a bit acerbic at the moment.

Sounds like you need to douse yourself with coffee in Mick's bucket, or river.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 10, 2013 04:05

In '72, wasn't he tossing roses and no water? Maybe both.

Anyway, I love that story about the road crew putting a pig liver in the bottom of the rose bucket at one gig on that tour.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 10, 2013 04:07

Perhaps you're overthinking this a teeny tiny bit. Just a thought.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 10, 2013 04:09

And I love how Mick walks around with pots and pans, squirting water in this video ... so campy and childish. smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 10, 2013 04:14

Cool topic! We did get a bit of water from Mick at the end of the Trabendo show too...from a bottle, hehe...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 10, 2013 04:48

I seem to have a memory of Mick throwing a bunch of fluid out there into the pit from his water bottle,
maybe for the first Newark show. Not directly in the line of fire, I started laughing, he was laughing in my direction...:-)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: November 10, 2013 05:13

Awesome

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: November 10, 2013 06:44

Didnt he throw a bucket of confetti over Keith in 75 or 76?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-10 06:47 by klrkcr.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: November 10, 2013 07:40

Got my first horse as a child & hoisted hundreds of thousands of buckets of water (with ice in winter) & uphill thru snow & ice over the years.. usually one in each hand (two at a time) before & after school.....so, to me, this is nothing a young child couldn't (and I did not) do...Jagger is a grown man in these photos...
sorry, unimpressed....sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-10 07:42 by owlbynite.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: November 10, 2013 08:32

In Chicago, during the 72 tour, a few of us in front of the stage, who were drenched in sweat, got a doucing by Mick from a gallon jug of cold water, after Midnight Rambler.
In 1981, got soaked again, from a bucket of water he aimed at me after
a show at the Rosemont Horizon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-10 08:35 by 3DTeafoe.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 10, 2013 08:50

They said in Crossfire Hurricane that when they got to the mid 70s, it all got more fun. Same in 78, but they had something to prove there too, and that's probably also a reason why so many ppl dig the 78 tour.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 10, 2013 08:52

3DTeafoe
In Chicago, during the 72 tour, a few of us in front of the stage, who were drenched in sweat, got a doucing by Mick from a gallon jug of cold water, after Midnight Rambler.
In 1981, got soaked again, from a bucket of water he aimed at me after
a show at the Rosemont Horizon.

So...what are you saying...mick get's you wet?!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home