Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 18
Re: OT: RIP Lou Reed
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 28, 2013 19:21

seitan
His Majesty
Can someone give us non Swedes a brief run down on what the interviewer is saying in his little solo spots?

"I was scared and nervous, cause I didnt know anything about Lou Reed."

Yup, that's the essence of it. He was 22 by the time he made the interview, he was nervous and it went badly from the start, partly because Lou Reed's replies were so short and made follow-up questions difficult (or rather, badly needed). The interviewer said he felt the 30 minute interview felt like a lifetime and he wanted it to end sooner. Towards the end, he said, Lou Reed seemed to develop a liking for him (because he was so naive and different from most journalists) but by that time he felt so broken down that he had a hard time appreciating that fact.

Personally, I enjoyed the interview. It was little awkward but not horrible, and I think the interviewer -- unknowingly -- gets something out of it that a confident and professional reporter probably wouldn't have. You can tell that Lou is enjoying it, a little bit, because of that.

Compare it to for example this interview, where the journalists seem totally oblivious to Reed's nonsensical answers:

It does remind me of a certain interview with the Stones in the same country the year before, which was partly about the same subject (drugs).

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 28, 2013 19:24

His Majesty,

Here's the same Swedish interview with English subtitles:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 28, 2013 19:46

Thanks.

thumbs up

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: October 28, 2013 20:11

loog droog
BroomWagon
I was reading another forum and one of the commenters said there was a poster in the '70s shown on this page.

[dontforgetthesongs365.wordpress.com]

It's the Lou Reed Wanted Dead or Alive poster. Publicity or who put it out I wonder?? It's on that webpage.

It was a joke in Creem magazine. I'm pretty sure it appeared with a Lester Bangs article. The two of them had a famous "feud." (See the American Masters documentary that I posted earlier. )

Thanks. thumbs up

Logical Explanation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-28 20:22 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 28, 2013 21:07

Lou Reed - See that my grave is kept clean

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 21:15

I still can not believe it ...
...one of my favorites

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: October 28, 2013 21:17

He's being called a poet in many articles, that's what I always liked about him.

Of interest to people, I came across lyrics to his song

"The Day John Kennedy Died"

[www.songlyrics.com]

This is interesting:

"I remember where I was that day, I was upstate in a bar
The team from the university was playing football on TV
Then the screen went dead and the announcer said,
"There's been a tragedy
There's are unconfirmed reports the president's been shot
And he may be dead or dying."

------------

JFK was shot on a Thursday I thought, Nov. 22, 1963. This jumped out at me as normally, Football, American Football that is, Gridiron would not be being played at that time of day.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 21:27

Stone601
I still can not believe it ...
...one of my favorites

Yep, + the tandem Hunter/Wagner!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 28, 2013 21:27

BroomWagon
He's being called a poet in many articles, that's what I always liked about him.

[www.songlyrics.com]

This is interesting:

"There's been a tragedy

------------

JFK was shot on a Thursday I thought, Nov. 22, 1963. This jumped out at me as normally, Football, American Football that is, Gridiron would not be being played at that time of day.

Well, he did say he was at a bar....

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 21:40

The very definition of iconoclast. He was rock star without all the pretentions and poses. His coolness came from his authenticity.
I loved this album, a very underrated period.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 28, 2013 21:53

"Without all the pretension and poses..." It would be nice to think so but there are many who knew him well who would not agree.

Lester Bangs had Lou pretty well-pegged.

I truly hope he finds more peace in death than he did in life.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 28, 2013 21:59

Nice tribute at end of The One Show on BBC1 tonight.
Played the song and video of Perfect Day that raised so much money for Children in Need many years ago.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2013 22:19

stupidguy2
The very definition of iconoclast. He was rock star without all the pretentions and poses. His coolness came from his authenticity.

Love this album too...I didn't think it was underrated though, it seemed to do well critically at the time.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 28, 2013 22:26

Neil Young, Elvis Costello, My Morning Jacket, Jenny Lewis & others performing "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'" in tribute to Lou Reed on October 27, 2013 at Shoreline Ampitheatre, Mountain View, California.

Date: October 28, 2013 22:46

treaclefingers
stupidguy2

Love this album too...I didn't think it was underrated though, it seemed to do well critically at the time.

It was very well-recieved. But it gets overshadowed by the VU/Rock and Roll eras.....
Late 80s Lou was as potent as an artist as ever.

stonesrule,
When I first 'got it' - it was in the mid-late 80s, and at the time, he seemed like a jolt of realness to me.

Date: October 28, 2013 22:52

Nick Cave made a deeply moving tribute to Lou Reed during his performance at Hammersmith Academy last night, 27 October, 2013, the day Lou Reed passed away.
"I want to dedicate this song to the great Lou Reed", he said launching into the track, 'Push the Sky Away'.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: October 28, 2013 23:01

PJ last night, I'm waiting for my man . . .

Date: October 28, 2013 23:24

Patti Smith remembers the first time she saw Lou Reed in person. It was 1970 and Reed and the Velvet Underground were performing at the Manhattan club Max's Kansas City.

"I was so taken with their music," she said Monday as she spoke of her friend, inspiration and fellow poet-musician, who died Sunday at 71. "I made it my business to study him. His process completely spoke to me, the process of merging poetry with these surf rhythms, this pulsing loop. You could get into a trance listening to 12 minutes of 'Sister Ray.'"

Interviewed by phone, Smith said that Reed brought "the sensibility of art and literature" to rock music, a sensibility she has long shared. When she and Reed would see each other, they often talked about poetry, about Hart Crane or Walt Whitman or Federico Garcia Lorca.

"He could speak articulately about any poet," she said.

Smith said she was pleased by the global impact of Reed's passing and by the stories of how his songs affected people's lives. She cited "Pale Blue Eyes" as a personal favorite. She said that the fragile, weary ballad reminded her of her late, blue-eyed husband, guitarist Fred "Sonic" Smith.

"I never fail to think of him and his gaze when I'm singing that or hear that song," she said. "Lou had a gift of taking very simple lines, 'Linger on, your pale blue eyes,' and make it so they magnify on their own. That song has always haunted me."

Smith also praised Reed's romantic "Perfect Day." She sings it often in concert and finds herself moved when audiences join in on the chorus.

"So many of us have benefited from the work he has done," she said. "We all owe him a debt. Most of us that owe a debt are not very happy to own up to it. Sometimes you like to imagine that you did everything on your own. But I think with Lou that everyone will stand in line to say thank you, in their own way."

[abcnews.go.com]

Date: October 28, 2013 23:36

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 29, 2013 00:27

This a very sad day for Rock & Roll itself. The news took me off guard and made me remember what he has brought to the music we love. I've must have listened to R & R Animal and Lou Reed Live (same concert -Academy of Music NYC Dec. 21, 1973) a zillion times. It doesn't end there: Transformer, Berlin , NY, Legendary Hearts, Sally etc... are all good albums... He will be missed - No Doubt. I'm going to post one of my favorite songs by him that slippped the radar (It's about drinking, spousal problems, and self destructive behavior).

RIP Lou -I love ya

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-29 00:54 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 29, 2013 00:34

Nice one, Chris (good to see you back, btw). Thats an overlooked gem I've always liked too.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 29, 2013 00:44

stonesrule
"Without all the pretension and poses..." It would be nice to think so but there are many who knew him well who would not agree.

This will never matter to those of us who never knew him. I for one have never met or known any of the musicians and artists I admire, and for that I am fortunate. It means I can just take the music at face value, to allow it to enrich my personal life rather than having my appreciation of their talent sullied by instead being forced to take the artist personally.

The greatest, most meaningful art is centered around tension and conflict--which is probably why so many musicians create their best work before age 35. Once you become complacent or content in middle age, the hunger to resolve that inner fire diminishes.

Likewise, the lives of the greatest, most meaningful artists are typically set to a backdrop of tension and conflict. Whatever it took for an artist like Lou Reed to accomplish what he did is reflected in the type of life he had to live to express it.

Had he found too much peace in his life, I suspect a certain dullness would have crept into his work, at some point. He might have just stopped creating altogether.

And all Lester Bangs ever created with his life was a point of view. Give me Lou Reed over Lester Bangs any day of the year and my life will be the richer for it.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 29, 2013 00:45

Just got the call that he made the front page of the New York Times. As he rightfully should. The man was New York. Horrible circumstances but happy to see the outpouring of respect. He would have hated it, but he was always big enough that we were going to ignore what he wanted lol.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 29, 2013 00:51

MKjan
BroomWagon

[www.songlyrics.com]

This is interesting:

"There's been a tragedy

------------

Well, he did say he was at a bar....

Kennedy was shot on a Friday at 1:30 PM Eastern Standard Time. College football is normally played on Saturdays. Maybe Lou really didn't remember where he was that day. Great lyrics, though. The line I really like is, "I dreamed that I was young and smart and it was not a waste."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-29 00:52 by tatters.

Date: October 29, 2013 01:08

stonehearted
stonesrule

This will never matter to those of us who never knew him. I for one have never met or known any of the musicians and artists I admire, and for that I am fortunate. It means I can just take the music at face value, to allow it to enrich my personal life rather than having my appreciation of their talent sullied by instead being forced to take the artist personally.

The greatest, most meaningful art is centered around tension and conflict--which is probably why so many musicians create their best work before age 35. Once you become complacent or content in middle age, the hunger to resolve that inner fire diminishes.

Likewise, the lives of the greatest, most meaningful artists are typically set to a backdrop of tension and conflict. Whatever it took for an artist like Lou Reed to accomplish what he did is reflected in the type of life he had to live to express it.

Had he found too much peace in his life, I suspect a certain dullness would have crept into his work, at some point. He might have just stopped creating altogether.

And all Lester Bangs ever created with his life was a point of view. Give me Lou Reed over Lester Bangs any day of the year and my life will be the richer for it.

Excellent post!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 29, 2013 01:32

Joining in late with sadness at the passing of an original whose musical influence was major.
I will miss knowing he's alive and among us.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 29, 2013 01:56

Likewise, the lives of the greatest, most meaningful artists are typically set to a backdrop of tension and conflict.

wish Bonnie & Clyde had of cut an album ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 29, 2013 01:59

LieB
seitan
His Majesty
Can someone give us non Swedes a brief run down on what the interviewer is saying in his little solo spots?

"I was scared and nervous, cause I didnt know anything about Lou Reed."

Yup, that's the essence of it. He was 22 by the time he made the interview, he was nervous and it went badly from the start, partly because Lou Reed's replies were so short and made follow-up questions difficult (or rather, badly needed). The interviewer said he felt the 30 minute interview felt like a lifetime and he wanted it to end sooner. Towards the end, he said, Lou Reed seemed to develop a liking for him (because he was so naive and different from most journalists) but by that time he felt so broken down that he had a hard time appreciating that fact.

Personally, I enjoyed the interview. It was little awkward but not horrible, and I think the interviewer -- unknowingly -- gets something out of it that a confident and professional reporter probably wouldn't have. You can tell that Lou is enjoying it, a little bit, because of that.

Compare it to for example this interview, where the journalists seem totally oblivious to Reed's nonsensical answers:

It does remind me of a certain interview with the Stones in the same country the year before, which was partly about the same subject (drugs).

It's a good example of a product of the educational system in Sweden. The reporter wasn't familiar with Raymond Chandler.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 29, 2013 02:17

I think LR reacted extremely dull on all the questions ..........maybe I should projected in the time it was recorded......... sad smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 29, 2013 02:39

stonehearted

Give me Lou Reed over Lester Bangs any day of the year and my life will be the richer for it.

Give me both of them and life is richer still. Speaking of Lester, if you've read his stuff on Lou, you're bound to remember the name of Lou's doomed acolyte, Peter Laughner. I thought these were interesting. It's Laughner, covering a couple of VU classics.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-29 03:02 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home