Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12
Re: Undercover -A really great L.P
Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: October 20, 2013 18:33

Only LIB is slightly better.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 20, 2013 20:39

I can't believe this subject is back already. It's like a boring zombie that just won't go down. What's next, Dirty Work is the best album of all time? Undercover of the Night is a great song that should be yanked off the Undercover album, and then flush the rest. And yes, I tried to listen to a couple of the other tracks and yes, they still sucked. I'll give you an update if that should ever change.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 20, 2013 21:12

treaclefingers
NICOS
Too Much Blood is the only highlight on this album

Seriously? I mean if you like Too Much Blood, how is it that you don't like Undercover of the Night, or Pretty Beat Up or Tie You Up?

I can get not liking the album, but to like that song and not the rest is perplexing to me.

You just listed your top stones albums above, and put Tattoo You and Undercover above albums like Sticky and Exile ... and you question where this guy is coming from??? (although I do have to agree with one thing, as Too Much Blood is the only bad song on this album).

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 20, 2013 21:19

24FPS
I can't believe this subject is back already. It's like a boring zombie that just won't go down. What's next, Dirty Work is the best album of all time? Undercover of the Night is a great song that should be yanked off the Undercover album, and then flush the rest. And yes, I tried to listen to a couple of the other tracks and yes, they still sucked. I'll give you an update if that should ever change.

Dirty Work? NOW you're talking!grinning smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 20, 2013 21:34

A great, versatile and daring album.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 20, 2013 22:08

A decent-enough release, I think. It contains some rather excellent moments in the form of Undercover Of The Night, Tie You Up (Pain Of Love) etc, but there is filler as well: Keith's I Wanna Hold You and a couple of other generic rockers. It's certainly a lot better than it's predecessor, Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 20, 2013 22:13

You moaners moan more than my mother in law on a bad day (and I tell you, on a normal day she already is one hell of a moaner).

Of course Undercover is a masterpiece. It is not historically relevant, but who cares? I like it more than let it bleed or fingers. WAY more than GHS.

And yes, Dirty Work is very good too. Not a masterpiece, but a very good LP.

C

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: October 20, 2013 22:13

I find that interesting...

"Keith didn´t have many songs on Undercover. During this period there would be just the one token Keith song on every album...."

Ron Wood, 2003

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: October 20, 2013 22:25

I like the first five songs, but none of the rest. 'Pretty beat up' is o.k.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 20, 2013 22:48

I will always love Too Much Blood because of the Rewind video. Last album that mattered yes. Not great of course but last grasp of the real band.

Posted by: jackblitz ()
Date: October 20, 2013 23:12

The last good Record of the real Rolling Stones !!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2013 23:19

GasLightStreet

UOTN is a huge tune. The sounds in this track - the guitar tone, the vocals - set the tone for the LP. It's out of context on all the hits albums it's on.

I'll second to this sentiment. When I put UNDERCOVER on, I'm mentally repeared to listen the album, and the title song sounds like a huge number, a classic-like, setting the whole atmosphere for the album, and, in the end, easily the most distinguished song in it. But whenever it pops up in some hit collection album, it sounds rather lame and forced effort. It is not dated very well compared to many other supposedly big Stones tunes, which makes me wonder if it never was so big song it supposedly intended to be, and probably sounded at the time. Probably the same thing is to do with the whole album: if one can program one mind's to the zeitgeist of the time (which is easier if one were a just-born Stones fan at the time, like me), the album is easier to dig. If not, it most likely is rather forgettable album, compared to its predecessors, and a mark of serious artistic decline.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-20 23:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 21, 2013 00:12

jackblitz
The last good Record of the real Rolling Stones !!

I'll give you that it's the last record of the real Rolling Stones, but no way is it really great or even good for that matter.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 21, 2013 01:00

elunsi

"Keith didn´t have many songs on Undercover. During this period there would be just the one token Keith song on every album...."

Ron Wood, 2003

Which makes this statement ironic, because Undercover was the point where Keith was emerging from his decade-long "fog" and was interested in exerting greater creative control over the direction of the band, and with Keith's focus being more rootsy in contrast to Mick's approach being more trendy, there was inevitable tension building between Mick and Keith. WWIII had its origin in the Undercover sessions.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: October 21, 2013 01:51

I really like Keiths song. Want to hold you.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 21, 2013 03:26

All the way down Rocks

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 21, 2013 03:58

Doxa
GasLightStreet

UOTN is a huge tune. The sounds in this track - the guitar tone, the vocals - set the tone for the LP. It's out of context on all the hits albums it's on.

I'll second to this sentiment. When I put UNDERCOVER on, I'm mentally repeared to listen the album, and the title song sounds like a huge number, a classic-like, setting the whole atmosphere for the album, and, in the end, easily the most distinguished song in it. But whenever it pops up in some hit collection album, it sounds rather lame and forced effort. It is not dated very well compared to many other supposedly big Stones tunes, which makes me wonder if it never was so big song it supposedly intended to be, and probably sounded at the time. Probably the same thing is to do with the whole album: if one can program one mind's to the zeitgeist of the time (which is easier if one were a just-born Stones fan at the time, like me), the album is easier to dig. If not, it most likely is rather forgettable album, compared to its predecessors, and a mark of serious artistic decline.

- Doxa

Seeing (hearing) past The Big 4 plus Some Girls and Tattoo You is obviously very difficult for some Stones fans. Rather a bit snotty actually. They need a good trollop to get over theyselves.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 09:27

GasLightStreet
Doxa
GasLightStreet

- Doxa

Seeing (hearing) past The Big 4 plus Some Girls and Tattoo You is obviously very difficult for some Stones fans. Rather a bit snotty actually. They need a good trollop to get over theyselves.

I even don't agree with the big four. To me there are the big two: Sticky Fingers and Exile - studio albums. smiling smiley

Date: October 21, 2013 09:44

stonehearted
elunsi

Ron Wood, 2003

Which makes this statement ironic, because Undercover was the point where Keith was emerging from his decade-long "fog" and was interested in exerting greater creative control over the direction of the band, and with Keith's focus being more rootsy in contrast to Mick's approach being more trendy, there was inevitable tension building between Mick and Keith. WWIII had its origin in the Undercover sessions.

That was Emotional Rescue, hence the "fights" (power grabs) during the recording...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 21, 2013 09:46

I think it's Stones second weakest...but it could indeed be great anyway..we're talking Stones-albums...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Date: October 21, 2013 10:08

stonehearted
elunsi

Ron Wood, 2003

Yes, it is ironic, because later it will be Keith who claims that Mick did not like it, that Keith became too sober.
Ron talks about albumS, and that was the reason I wanted to quote that remark here, because Mick Taylor said the same thing about the seventies, that most songs were written by M.Jagger. But the majority of fans believe, that Mick started to write more songs only in the nineties and that Keith always was the main songwriter.

Date: October 21, 2013 10:16

elunsi
stonehearted
elunsi

Ron Wood, 2003

Yes, it is ironic, because later it will be Keith who claims that Mick did not like it, that Keith became too sober.
Ron talks about albumS, and that was the reason I wanted to quote that remark here, because Mick Taylor said the same thing about the seventies, that most songs were written by M.Jagger. But the majority of fans believe, that Mick started to write more songs only in the nineties and that Keith always was the main songwriter.

Ronnie is not that trustworthy to begin with smiling smiley

I'm pretty sure Keith was involved with Feel On Baby, Tie You Up and Too Tough as well.

It was indeed Emotional Rescue that was the first album where Keith was more or less ready to "take the burden off Mick's shoulders"...

Date: October 21, 2013 10:21

DandelionPowderman
elunsi
stonehearted
elunsi

Ron Wood, 2003

I'm pretty sure Keith was involved with Feel On Baby, Tie You Up and Too Tough as well.

It was indeed Emotional Rescue that was the first album where Keith was more or less ready to "take the burden off Mick's shoulders"...

which underlines Mick Taylor´s quote.

Date: October 21, 2013 10:23

<But the majority of fans believe, that Mick started to write more songs only in the nineties and that Keith always was the main songwriter.>

Who believe this??
Most fans know that it was around 1967 that Mick started to write whole songs confused smiley

Date: October 21, 2013 10:26

elunsi
DandelionPowderman
elunsi
stonehearted
elunsi

Ron Wood, 2003

So?

As Mick has said himself. Before They Make Me Run was the first whole song Keith wrote since Happy. It's common knowledge.

My point was that it was during the ER-sessions Keith was back with several songs, but then he had to start fighting to get them in on the album.

The same was obviously the case on Undercover. Probably a fight Keith lost as well, when we look at the outtakes - Chainsaw Rocker (brilliant, btw) comes to mind here, among others...

Date: October 21, 2013 10:34

DandelionPowderman
<But the majority of fans believe, that Mick started to write more songs only in the nineties and that Keith always was the main songwriter.>

Who believe this??
Most fans know that it was around 1967 that Mick started to write whole songs confused smiley

Munichhilton, to begin with grinning smiley

yes, everbody knows, that Mick started to write whole songs around 67 and not only the lyrics, but he started to write more songs than Keith, that´s the point.

Date: October 21, 2013 10:36

DandelionPowderman
elunsi
DandelionPowderman
elunsi
stonehearted
elunsi

Ron Wood, 2003

So?

As Mick has said himself. Before They Make Me Run was the first whole song Keith wrote since Happy. It's common knowledge.

My point was that it was during the ER-sessions Keith was back with several songs, but then he had to start fighting to get them in on the album.

The same was obviously the case on Undercover. Probably a fight Keith lost as well, when we look at the outtakes - Chainsaw Rocker (brilliant, btw) comes to mind here, among others...

Do we really know that this was the exact reason the fights were about, that they fought about how many numbers each of them has on an album?

Date: October 21, 2013 10:44

elunsi
DandelionPowderman
elunsi
DandelionPowderman
elunsi
stonehearted
elunsi

Ron Wood, 2003

So?

Do we really know that this was the exact reason the fights were about, that they fought about how many numbers each of them has on an album?

I think that was just ONE aspect of what they were fighting about. It was probably a control/power/leadership-thing...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:59

Basically theres Undercover, Too much blood and She was hot by Jagger/Wood/Kimsey(?), Jagger/Kimsey(?) and Jagger (with perhaps a riff by Keith).

And Keiths song Wanna hold you (forgettable). Too Tough is a remake of Im goin down with Ronnie on guitar. It must be hell is a remake of Soul Survivour. All the way down is not even a song, it's a joke. Pretty beat up is a Ron Wood song. Tie you up is a little fun, with an inserted horrible Duran Duran attempt.

I still like the album or the idea and that's just because of Rewind and She was hot and Too much blood.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 21, 2013 12:04

DandelionPowderman

I don't think Keith lost the battle neither in EMOTIONAL RESCUE or UNDERCOVER - I have a picture both albums were kind of compromises each boss having a say - but he lost the war. Jagger fed up fighting with Keith artistically any longer, and alienated from him. And when Jagger was interested in the Stones again, everything was done under his terms.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home