Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 12
Undercover -A really great L.P
Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 20, 2013 13:24

I find it hard to believe many Stones fans don't really like this album. I think it is one of the best things they have done. As the years go by this album still holds up. If you haven't played this album in years , please play it again. I think Stones fans that haven't given this L.P. much thought, will find a better appreciation for it.(IMHO)

Re: Undercover -A really great L.P
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 20, 2013 13:26

It's great frisbee - nothing more. I've seen it go straight out of my window, beautifull..

I wish I had a gun, it would have been fun to do some target practise !!!

( album lacks energy, balls and there's no dirty rock n roll guitars and the songs suck, cover is ugly, production is nerdy and dated, and it's one of the worst things that ever came out in the eighties, - it's more fun to listen to the drill at the dentist)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-20 13:28 by seitan.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 20, 2013 13:39

I love it!The last Stones album really creative!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 20, 2013 13:40

ROCKMAN

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: October 20, 2013 13:40

thumbs up

...and it was my very first studio album...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 20, 2013 13:49

Feel On
Too Tough
She Was Hot
Wanna Hold You

I like the entire album. These four are my fav.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: October 20, 2013 14:00

The last album by The Stones that was good from start to finish and it doesn't have any poor fillers (okay, perhaps couple of less than great fillers but still not poor).

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 20, 2013 14:07

Great one. My copy is damaged. To get Must Be Hell to play, I have to spit on the CD. It's only Rock and Roll.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 20, 2013 14:31

If you like Undercover...then this is right up your alley - production on Undercover sounds like this to me:

Chipmunks plays the rolling stones:

Ok they that was cruel for chipmunks. _ i think chipmunks have a bigger balls than stones on undercover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-20 14:33 by seitan.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 20, 2013 14:41

Fantastic album, for sure in my top three of best Stones albums.

Mathijs

Date: October 20, 2013 14:51

I think it's the last time they took a chance. I have always liked it. Undercover is a great song and she was hot was excellent in shine a light. For obsecure song I like must be hell.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 20, 2013 14:59

It's mostly shite. grinning smiley

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: October 20, 2013 15:59

His Majesty
It's mostly shite. grinning smiley
>grinning smiley<

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2013 16:04

shattered
Great one. My copy is damaged. To get Must Be Hell to play, I have to spit on the CD. It's only Rock and Roll.

What I'd like to know is how you actually figured that out.

This is the best post Tattoo Album, wicked singles, great groove, a bit dark, great overall feel. Definitely in my top 10 of all RS albums.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 20, 2013 16:17

I truly like Pretty Beat Up and the beats in Tie you up.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:02

Tie You Up is really good. I like some of it. She Was Hot is great, Pretty Beat Up, Wanna Hold You, Too Tough. Good stuff but it is not great. It might be the last Stones album that was really relevant. I also like Too Much Blood.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:07

Dunno...was the first LP I waited for too, remember calling record shops around my town sometime in April, hehe...

Some good songs, UC, SWH, FOB, TMB, some pretty bad fillers too, ATWD, TT, etc...it came at the wrong time I think, Mick was thinking about his next move, he didn't get on with Keith and the mixing was horrendous (Kimsey nearly went crazy to the point that he had to be coaxed back into the fold by Mick for SW in 1989).

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:13

A few good things. The rest so-so . .
You can still listen to that album but to say it's among the best.Come on . .

Date: October 20, 2013 17:21

CousinC
A few good things. The rest so-so . .
You can still listen to that album but to say it's among the best.Come on . .

It's a top ten.

You've got your big four, Tattoo You, Some Girls, Between The Buttons, Aftermath, Black and Blue, Undercover.

I can see an argument though for including one or two of the first three albums (UK) in the top ten as well though. It's a bit fuzzy once you get out of the top 6 or 7.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:23

Too Much Blood is the only highlight on this album

Date: October 20, 2013 17:25

NICOS

Seriously? I mean if you like Too Much Blood, how is it that you don't like Undercover of the Night, or Pretty Beat Up or Tie You Up?

I can get not liking the album, but to like that song and not the rest is perplexing to me.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:39

U is the last album that mattered. The last creative album that The Rolling Stones made. Great cover.

UOTN is a huge tune. The sounds in this track - the guitar tone, the vocals - set the tone for the LP. It's out of context on all the hits albums it's on.

She Was Hot is the sleeper classic on this record though. Somehow it went over the heads of a lot of people - it's a funny song. Great guitar tones.

Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) is one of the best things they've ever done. That song is stellar and probably the best track on the LP. The guitar work on this track is outstanding.

Wanna Hold You is nice. Almost a un-Keith Keith tune.

Feel On Baby is awesome. A lot going on that is mysterious.

Too Much Blood is hilarious. It's over the top gawdy dance music with a leering lyric. It's excellent.

All The Way Down has always been one of my faves. There's clearly a bit of a snicker with this song. Great vocals by Jagger.

It Must Be Hell - how they got away with this one is hilarious. Clearly stolen from EXILE's Soul Survivor. A serious yet hilarious lyric and vocal delivery.

Lastly, the videos done for the UNDERCOVER singles were genius.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:43

treaclefingers
NICOS

Seriously? I mean if you like Too Much Blood, how is it that you don't like Undercover of the Night, or Pretty Beat Up or Tie You Up?

I can get not liking the album, but to like that song and not the rest is perplexing to me.

Maybe I expressed my self wrongly ......and should remove "the Only" Undercover of the Night will do too.....that's all for me

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:47

It's a piece of garbage. A low point in The Stones history.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:50

Apart from ABB it's easily the worst album...production is horrific. I hate it. It does have redeeming qualities in the shape of Harlem Shuffle and Keith's stuff, other than that - yuk.

Posted by: bernard90mike ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:59

I bought a second-hand vinyl of Undercover yesterday for a few euros.
Listened to it twice - I don't like it either. In my opinion only Dirty Work and Bridges To Babylon are worse...

Date: October 20, 2013 18:02

crumbling_mice
Apart from ABB it's easily the worst album...production is horrific. I hate it. It does have redeeming qualities in the shape of Harlem Shuffle and Keith's stuff, other than that - yuk.

Que?

Are you thinking of Dirty Work? If so, I'm in agreement...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 20, 2013 18:19

treaclefingers
crumbling_mice

Que?

Are you thinking of Dirty Work? If so, I'm in agreement...

Ha ha ...yes, just ignore me today doh!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 20, 2013 18:24

Loved it from the first play.............esp. Tie you up............just so loose and sleazy............ imo Mick's always at his best when doing sleazy...........(Brand new car could have been on this.........but when Keith & Ron are in on it too...............MMMMMAH!.......musicical heaven

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 20, 2013 18:32

About half of this LP has aged quite well, while the other half is simply boring.

Undercover of the Night, Pretty Beat Up, Too Tough, She Was Hot, and Too Much Blood are good tracks, with UOTN and Pretty Beat Up being great trax.

Wanna Hold You, All the Way Down, and Feel On, Baby are b-o-r-i-n-g!

Tie You Up and It MUst Be Hell are merely a great band treading water. Any other band would love these trax, but on these 2, the Stones sound like they are dialing it in.

I think if one took 1/2 of this LP and combined it with 1/2 of Dirty Work, one would have a GREAT Stones' 80s LP.

Side 1

Undercover of the Night
Dirty Work
Pretty Beat Up
Had It With You
Too Much Blood

Side 2

One Hit
Too Tough
Too Rude
She Was Hot
Harlem Shuffle

Title of the LP - While We Were Making Other Planz (and Spending Your Bread)

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home