Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...205206207208209210211212213214215...LastNext
Current Page: 210 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: October 19, 2015 21:06

Doxa
Witness
DandelionPowderman
with sssoul
I suppose Doxa realizes the "-ette" ending indicates a female,
so he must be referring to the miles of Keithbabes
(the preferred term)
who have been furiously pounding on anyone who says anything negative about the album.
Except that we haven't been. But since Doxa hasn't read the thread he doesn't know that.
I suspect he's just off his feed. Maybe some light therapy and some popcorn would help.

Of course he does. And the female ending is added for belittling the Keith fans, who, in his opinion, never are critical of Mr. Richards (mainly directed at me...).

I cannot know, of course, but I doubt that Doxa reflected, whether his term was female or male, when he sought a noun corresponding to "taylorite". A tentative "male" noun like Keithet" or "Keith'et" looks strange. Then it probably became "Keithette" without so much deliberation about the term's grammatical form. I guess.

Yeah, like always, the aesthetical side comes first ("Keithet" or "Keithist", "Keithite" just look stupid and boring), but I admit I also like that belittlening sexist vibe in it when directed to the mostly male macho audience.. (And what Jagger once said, "if you can't taka a @#$%& joke blah blah blah...")

- Doxa

How about keefer as an alternative, if you don't like keithite or keithist

?

although i'm not sure why you say keithite and keithist look stupid and boring -- in comparison to what?
oh, that's right!
keithette looks so finely crafted and interesting eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-19 23:28 by CloudCat.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 19, 2015 21:12

Redhotcarpet
keefriffhards
Redhotcarpet
keefriffhards
Redhotcarpet
I give it one out of ten.grinning smiley

Look why just say I give it one out of ten. Use some intelligence and at least try to explain why you give it one out of ten. Thanks

Well I think Keith missed an opportunity to do something different and interesting. I dont like his singing except for parts of Trouble. I dont like the drums. I dont think the songs are up to par. His voice was perfect on little Red Rooster (2014?). Same old tired riffing on the uptempo songs. Pity.

Thanks for explaining, he did sound good on little red rooster, maybe mick and Keith will do a blues album together that would be off the chart, I for one would love that, it's way overdue.
Id love that. A blues album but Mick must do what he does best: real emotion and a nice harmonica. Real down dirty blues. Revisit Brian if you like. Go down the road to the debut album or the late 60s/early to mid 70s.

Yeah now we're cooking on gas, that is what Mick was born to do , bring it on smoking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 19, 2015 21:24

Yes. I mean think of Still a fool 1968. Or Mona or King Bee 1964. That sort of stuff. BUt I think theyd have to find a new common ground first. Try and meet and be personal, private even. Too feel vulnerable. Keith said something close to that of Bob Dylan in a 1973 interview I just read in "The First 20 years" (Dalton). Love that book.

Date: October 19, 2015 21:29

Keiths guitar playing sounds better. He sounds sharper. Not the production but his abilities. He does sound like he's having a fresh start. Question is what to fill it with. Where to go.

Date: October 19, 2015 21:33

Redhotcarpet
Keiths guitar playing sounds better. He sounds sharper. Not the production but his abilities. He does sound like he's having a fresh start. Question is what to fill it with. Where to go.

You know Redhotcarpet i think you may secretly like this album a wee bit more than you let on winking smiley

Date: October 19, 2015 21:36

Redhotcarpet
Yes. I mean think of Still a fool 1968. Or Mona or King Bee 1964. That sort of stuff. BUt I think theyd have to find a new common ground first. Try and meet and be personal, private even. Too feel vulnerable. Keith said something close to that of Bob Dylan in a 1973 interview I just read in "The First 20 years" (Dalton). Love that book.

This is the very reason i get down about Mick, that he turned his back on this music, he just lost the passion somewhere along the way. Its never too late for him to get back to his roots. He can sing the blues for as long as he lives, and everyone will love it

Date: October 19, 2015 21:37

Spot on and amen.

Date: October 19, 2015 21:37

keefriffhards
Redhotcarpet

You know Redhotcarpet i think you may secretly like this album a wee bit more than you let on winking smiley

Im trying ok? grinning smiley

Date: October 19, 2015 21:41

Redhotcarpet
keefriffhards
Redhotcarpet

Im trying ok? grinning smiley

Lol grinning smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 19, 2015 21:43

Hairball
I'm hoping that some day there will be a Super Deluxe release of Crosseyed Heart with various demo's, outtakes, extended versions, etc.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the journey thus far of fully absorbing the album and discussing various nuances (positive and negative), etc.,
but as of last week have come to the point that I don't listen to it every day. Now it's just every other day... smiling smiley

I can only magine what the thread will look like when the Super Deluxe is released!

It's hard to imagine Keith didn't use just about everything they recorded for this record when you get somewhat incomplete songs like CrossEyed Heart and less developed jams like Substantial Damage. Perhaps there are some good outtakes, that would be nice indeed but it seems unlikely.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 19, 2015 21:56

According to Steve Jordan on the Netflix Doc Substantial Damage was banged out in 15 minutes. I love that!!

BTW I really can't buy into the EOMS references being made, CH still needs much more time for me to go there

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 19, 2015 22:11

Well, I'm glad that's all settled then.
By the way, I am not sure anybody mentioned this already, but I think Crosseyed Heart is a wonderful album. EOMS comes to mind.

Date: October 19, 2015 22:13

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 19, 2015 22:15

Maindefender
According to Steve Jordan on the Netflix Doc Substantial Damage was banged out in 15 minutes. I love that!!

BTW I really can't buy into the EOMS references being made, CH still needs much more time for me to go there

If Keith can bang out a track like Substantial Damage in 15 minutes, it really goes to show the potential that Keith holds within himself. I often wonder why Keith does not write music and produce for other singers like Barry Gibb has done for instance. Had Keith had more discipline in his make up,and less loyalty to the Stones, who knows what he may have achieved ( not that he has not achieved about as much as one man can in a lifetime anyway lol )

Date: October 19, 2015 22:20

DandelionPowderman
There are many similarities with EOMS apart from the quality of the material, which obviously isn't as strong on CH.

- Double album
- The variety
- The listening experience of a rootsy album with an incredible flow
- Focus on song order, a wholeness rather than pushing hits
- Some of the musicians played on both albums
- Amnesia, Crosseyed Heart and Blues In The Morning all have that basement sound
- Both albums are hard to categorise musically
- Both albums took the fans by surprise
- Both albums are heavy on high quality acoustic songs

etc..

Well that's settled then. Is it December 18th yet?

Date: October 19, 2015 22:21

Date: October 19, 2015 22:25

Dare I mention listening to Little T&A over the weekend the drums reminded me of Amnesia. (The song from CH)

Date: October 19, 2015 22:27

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 19, 2015 22:32

DandelionPowderman
There are many similarities with EOMS apart from the quality of the material, which obviously isn't as strong on CH.

- Double album
- The variety
- Amnesia, Crosseyed Heart and Blues In The Morning all have that basement sound

etc..

it's just not in the same league as exile on main street. it's not even close. and i think it's a very good album, the best since tattoo you.

Date: October 19, 2015 22:55

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

- Double album
- The variety

etc..

it's just not in the same league as exile on main street. it's not even close. and i think it's a very good album, the best since tattoo you.

Of course it isn't in the same league. Although DP has some good points and I could add that it is a grower like Exile I think the mass appeal Exile has is somewhat missing from CEH. I could go into plenty of detail and list some pretty major differences but I think most people can see (hear) that this comparison is a bit over the top.

Date: October 19, 2015 22:58

Naturalust
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

- Double album
- The variety

etc..

Of course it isn't in the same league. Although DP has some good points and I could add that it is a grower like Exile I think the mass appeal Exile has is somewhat missing from CEH. I could go into plenty of detail and list some pretty major differences but I think most people can see (hear) that this comparison is a bit over the top.

Well exile was not well received at its time of release. So CH goes one up over Exile in that respect.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 19, 2015 23:00

LeonidP
Hairball
My main negative and critical reaction towards the album continues to be that it isn't long enough.

Agreed, there should have been 25 songs on 2 CDs: Crosseyed Illusion I and Crosseyed Illusion II.

Or 20 cd's like Dylan's the biggest version of Cutting Edge? Nothing could be more fitting. It's not just a Goddess in the doorway, it's Messiah reborn. And we want every note.

Date: October 19, 2015 23:23

I really believe its impossible for any album to have the impact of Exile in 2015 , its been done, it cant be undone and re done now. Exile is what it is, and was what it was. CH is what it is, and does to the ears what it does now. The only complete significance these two albums have in common is that Keith Richards pretty much made them, give or take a few arguments. Put it this way they are two of keith's finest creations.. That's enough for me, what's the point in comparing the man to himself. At almost 72 even the most cynical of people have to admit CH a glorious victory against the odds. Keith seemed creatively a spent force and appeared to many on iorr as washed up, and keith himself admitted he was on the verge of retirement at the making of this album. This is the icing on Keiths incredible cake as far as i am concerned..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-19 23:30 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: October 19, 2015 23:57

Very good album

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2015 00:40

Naturalust
Hairball
I'm hoping that some day there will be a Super Deluxe release of Crosseyed Heart with various demo's, outtakes, extended versions, etc.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the journey thus far of fully absorbing the album and discussing various nuances (positive and negative), etc.,
but as of last week have come to the point that I don't listen to it every day. Now it's just every other day... smiling smiley

I can only magine what the thread will look like when the Super Deluxe is released!

It's hard to imagine Keith didn't use just about everything they recorded for this record when you get somewhat incomplete songs like CrossEyed Heart and less developed jams like Substantial Damage. Perhaps there are some good outtakes, that would be nice indeed but it seems unlikely.

Disagree 100%. grinning smiley

I imagine there's stockpiles of recorded material, and it's highly likely there is much more imo.
Demo's, outtakes, extended versions, not to mention Keith's original superior version of One More Shot!
Substantial Damage is meant to be the way it is - had it been 'developed' any further it wouldn't have the urgency and angst that it does.
Less developed jam? I don't think so...banged out in 15 minutes...boom, done, next!

As for the inevitable Super Deluxe of Crosseyed Heart, some may not like it,
some may not get it, some may not want it, and others could care less one way or the other.
At the same time, there's many that would want to hear everything - warts and all.
Based on the Stones' recent habit of releasing Super deluxe this and super deluxe that,
it's highly likely that something else will eventually result from the Crosseyed Heart sessions.
We can only hope!

Date: October 20, 2015 00:49

Your optimism is delightful Hairball. I hope you are right of course. Perhaps some of the unused ideas from CEH will be brought in as Keith song demos for the next Stones record. I'm just thinking with all the Stones activity planned and expected for the next year, CEH (deluxe) will be the last thing Keith is thinking about and The Stones will get the most of his energy and attention for the next couple years.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 20, 2015 01:01

Naturalust
Your optimism is delightful Hairball. I hope you are right of course. Perhaps some of the unused ideas from CEH will be brought in as Keith song demos for the next Stones record. I'm just thinking with all the Stones activity planned and expected for the next year, CEH (deluxe) will be the last thing Keith is thinking about and The Stones will get the most of his energy and attention for the next couple years.

It's sad he didn't tour.

I'm not eager to hear the outtakes. Keith is good at putting together an album. I think he put his best foot forward.

I would love to see him do a song off "Crosseyed Heart" during the "keith" section on the South American tour.

I can see 400,000 brazilians singing along: "baby trouble is your middle name". Naturalist would love it.

Date: October 20, 2015 01:04

Naturalust
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

- Double album
- The variety

etc..

Am I missing something? It looks to me that DP is not saying Crosseyed Heart is better, in fact he makes it a point to say the quality of the material on CH isn't as strong as that of Exile.
Whatever one thinks about Crosseyed Heart, the similarities that DP listed seem quite accurate and ring true for me.

It's a hard comparison to make, sort of like comparing a masterpiece painting by a young Rembrandt at the height of his talent, to one of his latter day paintings when he was old and no longer the talk of the town. Both are considered masterpieces, but both were painted in a completely different context. If I had to pick one for a desert island, I'd be foolish not to pick Exile. But of I were given a 2nd choice of anything Stones related since Tattoo You, Crosseyed Heart would be the obvious choice.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 20, 2015 01:07

I mentioned first my opinion that 'Something For Nothing' did ring like Exile to me, perhaps it was the choir, etc. (Exile is my Holy Grail)
I am not a musician, and obviously the glory of MT, Nicky Hopkins, Wyman, Jagger young and drinking just enough hard alcohol, cannot ever come back. And part of the magic of Exile is that particular essence of time and place.
Some similarities to me however (and I hope this is not too 'female')
as a 35+ year close follower of Keith Richards,
both Exile and CH capture his creativity at seemingly happiest times- perhaps expressing from a free-er place within
(KR claims the outstanding thing about CE for him- no deadline. And we can't deny since recovering from his accident/ new lease/ completing 'Life' he indeed is pleased.)
I also stated at the begin Yes, I missed Jagger- felt the absence- until, like Exile, I got taken over- by the nuances, extremely thoughtful layering, guitar beauty, fun, and ballads to the heart as well.
Crosseyed Heart has had a huge impact for me, I truly think it's a treasure, with golden, special songs, like Exile.
But that's just how it's hitting ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-20 01:55 by 35love.

Date: October 20, 2015 01:12

Turner68
Naturalust

It's sad he didn't tour.

I'm not eager to hear the outtakes. Keith is good at putting together an album. I think he put his best foot forward.

I would love to see him do a song off "Crosseyed Heart" during the "keith" section on the South American tour.

I can see 400,000 brazilians singing along: "baby trouble is your middle name". Naturalist would love it.

Yes Turner, very sad no tour.

And you're right Naturalust regarding Keith being pre-occupied with all the Stones activity planned and expected for the next year.
I wasn't suggesting a Super Deluxe any time in the near futuree, but perhaps somewhere down the road.

And back to Turner - that would indeed be incredible for Keith to do during the S.A. tour,
but then Mick might demand he slip in one of his own solo songs as well. angry smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...205206207208209210211212213214215...LastNext
Current Page: 210 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home