Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...208209210211212213214215216217218...LastNext
Current Page: 213 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 21, 2015 15:19

DandelionPowderman
I think the people who supposedly get taken aback by the Exile-comparison are «writing before thinking». Very few have disagreed with me when I have elaborated on what I'm actually basing the comparison on.

Nobody is saying that CH is just as good as Exile. They are saying that the album gives a similar experience, because it's coherent, long and diverse - without hits - and has an incredible flow. These are also important qualities, but in a different way than summing up the works to decide which is the «better one», of course.

At the moment I find CH superior to the albums I mentioned in my earlier post. There are many reasons for that. It's still fresh, it's a more complex piece of work that takes time to fully grasp and it's a more complimenting collection of songs than that of the other solo albums, even Slide On This, Talk is Cheap and Wandering Spirit, imo.

People are saying «the best Stones-related album since Tattoo You». Why not? As a statement / piece of work it's more monumental and impressive, imo, even though TY may have some stronger songs on it.

Very well said.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 21, 2015 15:28

Doxa
Green Lady
MonkeyMan2000
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
IT'S
ONLY
A
GOOD
ALBUM
AND
WE
IT

Yeah, that collective "we" strikes again...

But I guess the term "we" should be interpreted as "those who like me see it as only a good album"... or "We DandelionPowderman"..grinning smiley

- Doxa

We = Los Richardos

(Don't forget Las Richardas, too - much nicer than those tacky Keithettes!)

I need to apologize, Green Lady. I just did some research of the history of the term "Keithette" in the archives, and it was actually you, years ago, using it, and you use it in a positive, appropriate way in self-description. It is lem motlow who is the father of the pejorative use (also some years ago), and I picked it from him and applied here...

Sorry for causing such a bad connotation for your nice and harmless term...

- Doxa

Good grief! Was that me? Please accept my profound apologies for creating such a Frankenstein - and for getting angry with those who use it. I am ashamed of myself.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 21, 2015 15:30

DandelionPowderman
What should we name «The Active Keith Resistance Front», then, the Whinos? grinning smiley

If you all in "we" just would replace "Keith" with "Keithette", that is, "The Active Keithette Resistence Front" you could put it simply "Doxa"...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 15:41 by Doxa.

Date: October 21, 2015 15:38

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 15:46

The pendulum swings back and forth. Not long ago the consensus on this board seemed to be that Keirh should stop playing his 2 song set at Stones concerts and opinion was divided as to whether he should stop playing altogether or the Stones needed a full time third guitarist to cover for him. And then the "shock" that the man could be petty at times when "Life" came out.

Now that Keith has produced a very strong album and there is no other stones news or solo effort from Jagger this year it is natural that the most active members here are Keith fans and he is receiving a lot of praise.

Does he walk on water? No. Is he the reason the Stones have been creatively bankrupt for the past 37 years? No. Has he bounced back tremendously from a rather weak period? Absolutely.

When you hear two extreme points of view, more often than not the truth lies somewhere in between.

Date: October 21, 2015 15:46

DandelionPowderman

So, it's the fans here you don't like, not Keith? smiling smiley

Surely not Keith, and not actually fans either (this should not be personal), but a certain kind of ideology that has shown its ugly head quite a much here lately and in which dissing and belittlening a certain very important figure in The Rolling Stones is a special feature... Thankfully, a rather small portion of actual Keith Richards fans are "Keithettes"...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 15:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 21, 2015 15:48

I knew CH was a great record when songs like Amensia conjure up Dylan for me and Something for Nothing conjure up Warren Zevon. For me its a great easy record to listen to and and its been three weeks for me and have not listened to any other stone record or any MT. Keith came up for me with two masterpieces(Amensia and Lover's Plea).

play the guitar boy

Date: October 21, 2015 15:48

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 21, 2015 15:54

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Surely not Keith, and not actually fans either (this should not be personal), but a certain kind of ideology that has shown its ugly head quite a much here lately and in which dissing and belittlening a certain very important figure in The Rolling Stones is a special feature... Thankfully, a rather small portion of actual Keith Richards fans are "Keithettes"...

- Doxa

I think it is possible you are overreacting. The activity on this board seems to be related to who is making news. For a time it was mick Taylor and the Taylor fans were in full force and Ronnie was the target of a lot of disparagement. It is natural that the mick fans would sit back when he is not actively releasing anything new and the Keith fans would be verbose with the release of his first album in over two decades. More balance will come when the South American tour kicks in.

I don't feel sorry for mick or Keith when the extreme sides knock the other. The mick/Keith rivalry is something they have both milked for decades in a rather transparent (and successful) means of keeping the band in the news and the fans engaged.

Come the opening night of the South American tour mick fans will be in full force and everyone will be Rolling Stones fans first and foremost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 15:55 by Turner68.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 21, 2015 15:56

Turner68
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

I think it is possible you are overreacting. The activity on this board seems to be related to who is making news. For a time it was mick Taylor and the Taylor fans were in full force and Ronnie was the target of a lot of disparagement. It is natural that the mick fans would sit back when he is not actively releasing anything new and the Keith fans would be verbose with the release of his first album in over two decades. More balance will come when the South American tour kicks in.

I don't feel sorry for mick or Keith when the extreme sides knock the other. The mick/Keith rivalry is something they have both milked for decades in a rather transparent (and successful) means of keeping the band in the news and the fans engaged.

Come the opening night of the South American tour mick fans will be in full force and everyone will be Rolling Stones fans first and foremost.

thumbs up

Date: October 21, 2015 15:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 21, 2015 16:02

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 21, 2015 16:08

DandelionPowderman
OpenG
I knew CH was a great record when songs like Amensia conjure up Dylan for me and Something for Nothing conjure up Warren Zevon. For me its a great easy record to listen to and and its been three weeks for me and have not listened to any other stone record or any MT. Keith came up for me with two masterpieces(Amensia and Lover's Plea).

play the guitar boy

WOW! grinning smiley

That must be the biggest and most convincing compliment so far, especially the MT part...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: October 21, 2015 16:14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 21, 2015 16:23

Doxa, DP - we are all starving for new music and for me Keith hit a home run. My only negative was all the songs did not from the CH sessions.

play the guitar boy

Date: October 21, 2015 16:25

Just a gift and goodnight Irene are the songs I have never been able to warm up to.

Heart stopper and trouble are not all time greats but refreshing fun rockers for sure. Done by the stones they would probably sound like stones by numbers but in this context they sound fresher.

illusion, and suspicion are excellent slower songs.. I think more time is needed for full evaluation.

Something for nothing, love overdue, cross eyed heart and substantial damage are high quality filler.

I love amnesia but don't listen to it a lot.

Robbed blind and lover's plea are true classics in my opinion.

But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts - best way to listen is all the way through :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 16:26 by Turner68.

Date: October 21, 2015 17:00

Turner68
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Surely I am overreacting - on purpose. I just saw not just the reception of CROSSEYED HEART being a bit one-sided, and missing some critical voices to make the discussion a bit more diversive, but the whole board having a bit too much Keith-Richards-biased interpretation of THe Rolling Stones lately, with such an aggressive tone (that Jagger guest performance thread was a disaster). Plus there is some history... As I don't see my views anything extraordinary or unique, but as typical, if some impression occurs to me, probably there are people out there thinking the same, so I decided to say something. I probably made a misjudgment by interventing this very "celebrational" thread, but due to moderator policy I thought better to keep it economical...

Anyway, I hope I have got my 'point' across, so I don't see much reason to continue interrupting the lovefest.. I am Sorry if I spoiled anyone's joy with CROSSEYED HEART. That was not my intention.

You are absolutely right about the tendencies here changing according to their activities. I probably just don't like too much the latest turn of events. Never seen such a strong and one-sided "group-thinking" - to use Dandie's word - here before.

- Doxa

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 21, 2015 17:18

Foremost i am a Stones fan, as often stated, since 1976. Have been critical of Jagger. Still am, and i surely love Keef far more.(Charlie and Ronnie too) Crosseyed heart is a great great album and dearly love it.

Went to see the stockholm gig last year, 2nd row in front of the stage, and was VERY impressed by Jaggers presence.

My God, or Buddha i LOVE the Stones to bits. Dont have the money to go to the S-American gigs, but hope they will return to Europe in 2017.

yeah, i have my personal preferences regarding the Stones members. i am only human. But i agree, its not totally right to diss and dismiss Jagger.

But....Keith has delivered an album, thats mostly daily on my stereo, or playing in my car.
And i am very happy with it.

One Love

Jeroen

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 21, 2015 17:31

There is something about this album that prevents me from really like it and I don't know yet what it is. I mean, it is great that Keith made an album and released it, and it sounds really nice and alive. But still for me there is something that I cannot put my finger on.

I remember when Trouble came out it was on repeat the whole time in my car stereo and I couldn't wait for the rest of the songs.

Maybe I'm just trying too hard to like it, maybe I was expecting something else, I don't know. And that's ok.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 21, 2015 19:07

Doxa

Surely I am overreacting - on purpose. I just saw not just the reception of CROSSEYED HEART being a bit one-sided, and missing some critical voices to make the discussion a bit more diversive, but the whole board having a bit too much Keith-Richards-biased interpretation of THe Rolling Stones lately, with such an aggressive tone (that Jagger guest performance thread was a disaster). Plus there is some history... As I don't see my views anything extraordinary or unique, but as typical, if some impression occurs to me, probably there are people out there thinking the same, so I decided to say something. I probably made a misjudgment by interventing this very "celebrational" thread, but due to moderator policy I thought better to keep it economical...

Anyway, I hope I have got my 'point' across, so I don't see much reason to continue interrupting the lovefest.. I am Sorry if I spoiled anyone's joy with CROSSEYED HEART. That was not my intention.

You are absolutely right about the tendencies here changing according to their activities. I probably just don't like too much the latest turn of events. Never seen such a strong and one-sided "group-thinking" - to use Dandie's word - here before.

- Doxa

Yes, I think you're overreacting a bit too.
I have seen more (but way way way more) bashing of Ronnie than I have ever seen any Mick bashing. Including this thread.
If we assume that most people on IORR are Stones fans, I think we can also safely assume that most people like Jagger, his voice, his way of performing, his contribution to some of the best works of the Stones. A lot of people on IORR also very much like Wandering Spirit. I recall only a few months ago, a thread about Wandering Spirit, where the general consensus seemed to be that that was a wonderful album.
However, I think most people would also agree that the Stones output post-Tattoo You, as much one might like bits and pieces, has been below the earlier standards. And, whereas I have often seen people blaming Ron for this (which I find a dubious statement) or even claiming that with Mick Taylor this would not have happened (which I find an outright ridiculous statement) I have not seen anyone blaming solely Mick Jagger for this. But since clearly Mick and Keith are the main decision makers within the band, for a large part it's their responsibility, don't you think? And probably not the fault of either, but simple a matter of having out-grown a symbiotic taste.
Keith, for a while, because of the booze and/or the fall out of the tree and/or living too much up to his image, had a weak period of bad playing live and embarrassing interviews. I think I have read a lot of posts on IORR criticizing him about that. However, he has undeniably made a very good record now, which is much better than most people expected. Whether it's "as good as EOMS" is a meaningless thing to say, but I like Dandelion's comparison between the two albums. So, for the moment, there is not much to critisize Keith for (until the next Stones album comes out, I am afraid).
What I do hope is that for the next Stones album, Keith and Mick are able to work together, based on a mutual and shared understanding and taste for "what is good music". Because I honestly don't think there is a point in making another sub-average Stones album. Mick has the absolute right to follow his tastes, as Keith has his, but then I prefer both of them just keep on making solo albums.
But yes, personally, I like Keith's solo albums a lot more. I don't like any of Mick's solo-work, and I felt the same way 6 months ago. I do think he's great on a lot of post-Tattoo You Stones stuff, but unfortunately, on a lot of it, he does this "new kind of singing" which I don't like. And if that's considered Mick bashing, fine, so be it, and if that makes me a Keithrino (is that a fermion or a baryon?), then, fine with me too. Even so, I doubt very much that this is a "majority" opinion. The "we" you seem so upset about is more related to the large group of people who like Crosseyed Heart, which is maybe no surprise given that this thread is about that album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2015 19:27

Doxa
Turner68
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

- Doxa

Maybe the benefit of doubt should be given to the to those who really appreciate this album. It seems you 'intervening' in this thread has turned into a sour note. Rather than offering more constructive criticism (or a "diversive" voice) ) of the album itself, you are somewhat belittling most everyone who likes and discusses it by labeling them "keithettes" who are "group thinking" involved in a "lovefest". Maybe it's spurred on in your quest to defend Mick Jagger, but since when is any member of the Stones NOT the target of criticism. And why is it necessary to have a mocking/belittling/derogatory tone to those who sincerely like it? It's not some deep psychological experiment going in here - it boils down to some Rolling Stones fans happy with something that resonates with them. The discussion can take many turns, not all of which everyone will agree with, but certainly shouldn't take personal or feel the need to intervene.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 19:30 by Hairball.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 19:55

Hairball
Doxa
Turner68
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

- Doxa

Maybe the benefit of doubt should be given to the to those who really appreciate this album. It seems you 'intervening' in this thread has turned into a sour note. Rather than offering more constructive criticism (or a "diversive" voice) ) of the album itself, you are somewhat belittling most everyone who likes and discusses it by labeling them "keithettes" who are "group thinking" involved in a "lovefest". Maybe it's spurred on in your quest to defend Mick Jagger, but since when is any member of the Stones NOT the target of criticism. And why is it necessary to have a mocking/belittling/derogatory tone to those who sincerely like it? It's not some deep psychological experiment going in here - it boils down to some Rolling Stones fans happy with something that resonates with them. The discussion can take many turns, not all of which everyone will agree with, but certainly shouldn't take personal or feel the need to intervene.

Very well said Hairball

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 21, 2015 19:58

This album just keeps growing on me.I got the Japanese edition and the Lee Scratch contribution is well cool!

Date: October 21, 2015 20:16

I think it's logical that most fans enjoy Keith's solo stuff more than Jagger's. I mean, what would have a stones-fan in the 70s thought, when he would have heard Jagger's solo stuff or Streets of Love or Superheavy? I think Keith is just more appealing to fans of the classic stones era, just in terms of sound...

But I don't want to start the Keithosauri vs Jaggerists fight again! smileys with beer

Date: October 21, 2015 20:27

Back on topic: I love Amnesia so much! It's like you're diving in an ocean of sound with notes swimming by like fishes: There's a classic Keith lick from one side and suddenly you hear some Spanish guitar from the other! And that groove, terrific!
(i'm getting too poetic)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 20:30 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 21, 2015 20:39

MonkeyMan2000
I think Keith is just more appealing to fans of the classic stones era, just in terms of sound...

I respectfully disagree. Sound wise this album is very modern, I hear no similarities with the "sounds of the 70s". But it's all in the ear of the beholder. smoking smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 21, 2015 20:40

MonkeyMan2000
Back on topic: I love Amnesia so much! It's like you're diving in an ocean of sound with notes swimming by like fishes: There's a classic Keith lick from one side and suddenly you hear some Spanish guitar from the other! And that groove, terrific!
(i'm getting too poetic)

+1
Amnesia is one of the best tracks of this album.
But in general this album has got a particular atmosphere. I think there is no bad song.It flows well. I say this after listening to lately. It was weeks since I I resumed this songs.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2015 20:50

MonkeyMan2000
I think it's logical that most fans enjoy Keith's solo stuff more than Jagger's. I mean, what would have a stones-fan in the 70s thought, when he would have heard Jagger's solo stuff or Streets of Love or Superheavy? I think Keith is just more appealing to fans of the classic stones era, just in terms of sound...

But I don't want to start the Keithosauri vs Jaggerists fight again! smileys with beer

Yes very logical for most Stones fans.thumbs up

And yeah, be careful with the this vs. that... the Captain of the "Mickettes" team might shoot you right down. winking smiley

MonkeyMan2000

Nice description - and several good lyrics in there as well.
The guitar tones on the entire album, whether acoustic or electric, sound so pure and organic.
It's not only a rarity on Stones related releases in 'recent years', but a rarity in general.
I think Dylan was onto something back in the the early '90's with his acoustic covers albums Good as I've Been To You and World Gone Wrong.
He continued in this similar vein with a full band and an album of originals with '97's Time Out of Mind, and then 2001's Love And Theft.
Simple production with no bullcrap. I hear alot of the same values when listening to Crosseyed Heart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 20:50 by Hairball.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 21, 2015 20:51

pepganzo
MonkeyMan2000
(i'm getting too poetic)

+1
Amnesia is one of the best tracks of this album.
But in general this album has got a particular atmosphere. I think there is no bad song.It flows well. I say this after listening to lately. It was weeks since I I resumed this songs.

I agree plus i have never owned an album or CD and loved every track like on CH. Not even Hits albums.
The only track that has taken a while to love is Goodnight Irene and now i can't get enough of it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 21, 2015 20:54

Koen
MonkeyMan2000
I think Keith is just more appealing to fans of the classic stones era, just in terms of sound...

I respectfully disagree. Sound wise this album is very modern, I hear no similarities with the "sounds of the 70s". But it's all in the ear of the beholder. smoking smiley

Yes I agree the overall sound and clarity is modern, but the production, instrumentation and song construction is pure retro. I think that is one of the things that make the record so welcome after so many overproduced, over layered, overly modern sounding records from the Stones. Probably the best adjective I can think of for the record is "authentic". No tricks, just songs that sound like Keith is sitting in front of you, genuinely doing his best to turn his emotions into something more tangible.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...208209210211212213214215216217218...LastNext
Current Page: 213 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1471
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home