Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...207208209210211212213214215216217...LastNext
Current Page: 212 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 21, 2015 01:52

LeonidP
HMS
Imo, Exile was at some point of time artificially hyped by critics, somebody starts praising and many fall in, that´s the way it goes...

that's because you're obviously clueless about it's history. Exile was not at all praised by the critics, and most of us are old enough that we fell in love w/ Exile before we knew any others felt the same way, i.e. before internet etc.

Correct but Dande is right, CH has so much in common with EOMS because the more you listen, the more you realise and see it has so much going on, so much more music behind the music with each and every play.. I would take just a gift as a stand out track above the whole of Exile.. Just saying, that's what this song means to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 01:56 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 21, 2015 01:57

keefriffhards
Maindefender
Redhotcarpet
Just a reminder. I think this thread needs one.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Yeah I pulled mine out today, so sweet. Time in a bottle…..thumbs up

Jezz i forgot how out of this world this is, Time in a bottle indeed, timeless

This is the Stones we all want and never get, but i have a feeling that the next Stones album will be Exile revisited, but shit then i wake up sad smiley

....and it reminds us of Begger's Banquet!! hot smiley

Date: October 21, 2015 02:00

Maindefender
keefriffhards
Maindefender
Redhotcarpet

Yeah I pulled mine out today, so sweet. Time in a bottle…..thumbs up

Jezz i forgot how out of this world this is, Time in a bottle indeed, timeless

This is the Stones we all want and never get, but i have a feeling that the next Stones album will be Exile revisited, but shit then i wake up sad smiley

....and it reminds us of Begger's Banquet!! hot smiley

Your longbeachrevisited lol i would like to re name you mainoffender lol

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 21, 2015 02:01

keefriffhards
LeonidP
HMS
Imo, Exile was at some point of time artificially hyped by critics, somebody starts praising and many fall in, that´s the way it goes...

that's because you're obviously clueless about it's history. Exile was not at all praised by the critics, and most of us are old enough that we fell in love w/ Exile before we knew any others felt the same way, i.e. before internet etc.

Correct but Dande is right, CH has so much in common with EOMS because the more you listen, the more you realise and see it has so much going on, so much more music behind the music with each and every play..

Put the bottle down riffhards and back slowly away from the keyboard.....

You guys want to talk about Exile, here is the proper thread. smoking smiley

[www.iorr.org]

Date: October 21, 2015 02:07

Naturalust
keefriffhards
LeonidP
HMS

Correct but Dande is right, CH has so much in common with EOMS because the more you listen, the more you realise and see it has so much going on, so much more music behind the music with each and every play..

[www.iorr.org]

The end of Just A gift Just fills my soul.. now i will listen to your link NL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 10:56 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 21, 2015 02:13

keefriffhards

[www.iorr.org]

The end of Just A gift Just feels my soul.. now i will listen to your link NL[/quote]

Try the end of Let It Loose and report back on the Exile thread. smoking smiley

Date: October 21, 2015 02:13

keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards
LeonidP
HMS

[www.iorr.org]

The end of Just A gift Just feels my soul.. now i will listen to your link NL

Who is this man they call Doom And Gloom, he knows his stuff real heavy. Thanks NL

Date: October 21, 2015 02:32

Naturalust
keefriffhards

[www.iorr.org]

The end of Just A gift Just feels my soul.. now i will listen to your link NL

Try the end of Let It Loose and report back on the Exile thread. smoking smiley[/quote]

yes if you remember i got converted to Let It Loose from you guys, i used to skip it and could not for the life of me know what you was on about, Then i played it like ten times then it hit me << Micks best most passionate vocal ever. let it loose is divine ( but how many people do you know that ever admit they got it wrong )

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 03:50

I love Crosseyed Heart but there is other genius at work on Exile, not least of which is the writing and performance of Mick Jagger.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: October 21, 2015 04:33

Highly recommend the record if you didn't buy it. I have listened on Spotify, but much prefer the vinyl- warmer.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 21, 2015 09:11

keefriffhards
keefriffhards
Redhotcarpet

Thanks for the reminder redHotcarpet i been listening to Exile while postin, you are right in one way EOMS is the dogs bollocks but i notice the same flow of inspiration in CH . Damn now i pissed off 35love lol

Redhot you win, EOMS is better than i remember because i just played it all the songs all the way through, i used to jump bits i thought i didn't like but now i love it all, indeed a master piece . thanks for jogging the memory, the ears get better sounding with age 'Im the man that gives you roses when you an't got none wow what a beauitifull buzz

Thanks to that album were all winners! Yes it's great album and I too have to listen to it as a reminder. Actually my favorite is Let it bleed but maybe Exile as a whole, is the best one. Maybe it really is. Now Ill try the two last numbers on Crosseyed Heart again.

Date: October 21, 2015 10:02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2015 10:50

thumbs up

I listened to entire cd twice tonight while driving to and from the Hollywood Bowl.

I've coined a new term for Crosseyed Heart: Exile-esque. smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 21, 2015 13:23

Hairball
That's right Bashlets...sometimes these things take time for some people to fully appreciate.
Maybe this Keith sticky thread will go on for 4 more years so we can get a true and honest consensus on Crosseyed Heart. smiling smiley

Hah, I don't it needs any four years for a die-hard Keith Richards fanbase section in a Rolling Stones fan site to come into conclusion that CROSSEYED HEART is a masterpiece - I guess you guys have already achieved that...

More seriously, I think the famous reception of EXILE starts to be a kind of myth these days (or have been long that) - that is first got not so praising reviews, and its historical value was to be seen only in some years later - like any decent release today could follow such a model, being a potential EXILE if it will be given time to "grow".

About any Stones-related releated item since, say, UNDERCOVER - has got very nice reviews, and hurrayed by the fans by the time of its release, but a very few of them seem to have passed the test of time, to be really remembered as an important relaese after its heyday. The reception of CROSSEYED HEART is no any exception - only time will tell how it is to rated among other Stones-related items.

As far as I can see many people here have already rated it damn high - "best since TATTOO YOU", comparing it even to EXILE, etc. That kind of reception is really 'anti-Exile' (and, ironically, follows the reception of many post-TATTOO YOU items, if we look at the reviews...)

Honestly, I don't think CROSSEYED HEART will be ever gathering much status or recognition outside the devoted Keith Richards fan club - that the people who doesn't see the light now, will some day... And I don't see why it should need to more than a kind of 'cult' item... Those who find it a masterpiece now, be happy - and don't worry what other people say or think now or in future (its their lossgrinning smiley)...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 13:28 by Doxa.

Date: October 21, 2015 13:31

Date: October 21, 2015 13:46

DandelionPowderman
IT'S
ONLY
A
GOOD
ALBUM
AND
WE
IT

Yeah, that collective "we" strikes again...

But I guess the term "we" should be interpreted as "those who like me see it as only a good album"... or "We DandelionPowderman"..grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 13:49

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
IT'S
ONLY
A
GOOD
ALBUM
AND
WE
IT

But I guess the term "we" should be interpreted as "those who like me see it as only a good album"... or "We DandelionPowderman"..grinning smiley

- Doxa

We = Los Richardos

Date: October 21, 2015 13:53

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 21, 2015 13:58

MonkeyMan2000
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
IT'S
ONLY
A
GOOD
ALBUM
AND
WE
IT

- Doxa

We = Los Richardos

Or the Keithrinos, which would make it sound as some kind of elementary (high energy) particle.

Date: October 21, 2015 14:05

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 21, 2015 14:06

TeddyB1018
I love Crosseyed Heart but there is other genius at work on Exile, not least of which is the writing and performance of Mick Jagger.

Bless you, TeddyB.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 14:08

DandelionPowderman
What should we name «The Active Keith Resistance Front», then, the Whinos? grinning smiley

The Donotwantotherstoenjoycrosseyedheardists

Date: October 21, 2015 14:10

DandelionPowderman

It's simply a very good and exciting album, and there was a lot of unexpected stuff on it, which really triggered my ears again in a way not even Main Offender did.

The closest to this quality for a Stones-related release the last 20 years is Ronnie's I Feel Like Playing and Slide On This, followed by Wandering Spirit, which was great as well, imo.

This is a kind of contextualisation in quality I find approapriate - especially comparison to Ronnie's albums - which I don't think anyone has yet done in this 200 plus page mega thread! - WANDERING SPIRIT and MAIN OFFENDER being natural point of references as well.

You Dandie asked some pages ago people to give reasons why don't they "like" the album (I would say: not being so excited about or so fond of) - I guess you could ask similar question about Ronnie's albums you seem to like very much - which actually aren't stylistically that far more Keith's album - as well. Ronnie's musical world is pretty similar to Keith's, but seemingly manages to reach much smaller section of Rolling Stones fanbase. Probably in both cases there is something missing that makes The Stones so capturing, and playing nice guitar and being rootsy-friendly is not enough...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 14:14 by Doxa.

Date: October 21, 2015 14:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 21, 2015 14:23

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 21, 2015 14:31

MonkeyMan2000
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
IT'S
ONLY
A
GOOD
ALBUM
AND
WE
IT

- Doxa

We = Los Richardos

(Don't forget Las Richardas, too - much nicer than those tacky Keithettes!)

Date: October 21, 2015 14:44

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

It's simply a very good and exciting album, and there was a lot of unexpected stuff on it, which really triggered my ears again in a way not even Main Offender did.

The closest to this quality for a Stones-related release the last 20 years is Ronnie's I Feel Like Playing and Slide On This, followed by Wandering Spirit, which was great as well, imo.

This is a kind of contextualisation in quality I find approapriate - especially comparison to Ronnie's albums - which I don't think anyone has yet done in this 200 plus page mega thread! - WANDERING SPIRIT and MAIN OFFENDER being natural point of references as well.

You Dandie asked some pages ago people to give reasons why don't they "like" the album (I would say: not being so excited about or so fond of) - I guess you could ask similar question about Ronnie's albums you seem to like very much - which actually aren't stylistically that far more Keith's album - as well. Ronnie's musical world is pretty similar to Keith's, but seemingly manages to reach much smaller section of Rolling Stones fanbase. Probably in both cases there is something missing that makes The Stones so capturing, and playing nice guitar and being rootsy-friendly is not enough...

- Doxa

Maybe you misunderstood my post? I didn't say «the last 20 years» because I find all the work prior to that superior to that of CH, quite the contrary.

However, I find Talk Is Cheap interesting, too, but for different reasons. I think CH is far superior as a coherent piece of work, although there are some killer songs on TIC. It's comparable with Let It Bleed and Exile. There are superior stuff on the former, but Exile as an album trump those shining moments of LIB because of the total experience.

I know I have ranked LIB before Exile in the past, but that's because I had played it to death when I ranked it. The week after it would be different again smiling smiley

No, I did not. I just took from there something I saw important and also common-sensical - the kind of constext we should rank this album in quality. (I have to admit that I was one of the first who was making comparisons to EXILE by pointing out certain similarities - like you have also done lately - but I thought any similarities in actual quality was such an absurd idea that I didn't even cared to mention it...)

Anyway, I like you analogies between BLEED vs. EXILE and TALK IS CHEAP vs. CROSSEYED HEART (actually is damn apt one!) but we should be careful not implying anything else...

- Doxa

Date: October 21, 2015 15:00

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 21, 2015 15:04

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Maybe you misunderstood my post? I didn't say «the last 20 years» because I find all the work prior to that superior to that of CH, quite the contrary.

However, I find Talk Is Cheap interesting, too, but for different reasons. I think CH is far superior as a coherent piece of work, although there are some killer songs on TIC. It's comparable with Let It Bleed and Exile. There are superior stuff on the former, but Exile as an album trump those shining moments of LIB because of the total experience.

I know I have ranked LIB before Exile in the past, but that's because I had played it to death when I ranked it. The week after it would be different again smiling smiley

No, I did not. I just took from there something I saw important and also common-sensical - the kind of constext we should rank this album in quality. (I have to admit that I was one of the first who was making comparisons to EXILE by pointing out certain similarities - like you have also done lately - but I thought any similarities in actual quality was such an absurd idea that I didn't even cared to mention it...)

Anyway, I like you analogies between BLEED vs. EXILE and TALK IS CHEAP vs. CROSSEYED HEART (actually is damn apt one!) but we should be careful not implying anything else...

- Doxa

I think the people who supposedly get taken aback by the Exile-comparison are «writing before thinking». Very few have disagreed with me when I have elaborated on what I'm actually basing the comparison on.

Nobody is saying that CH is just as good as Exile. They are saying that the album gives a similar experience, because it's coherent, long and diverse - without hits - and has an incredible flow. These are also important qualities, but in a different way than summing up the works to decide which is the «better one», of course.

At the moment I find CH superior to the albums I mentioned in my earlier post. There are many reasons for that. It's still fresh, it's a more complex piece of work that takes time to fully grasp and it's a more complimenting collection of songs than that of the other solo albums, even Slide On This, Talk is Cheap and Wandering Spirit, imo.

People are saying «the best Stones-related album since Tattoo You». Why not? As a statement / piece of work it's more monumental and impressive, imo, even though TY may have some stronger songs on it.

drinking smileyVery well put, Dandelion.
Jeroen

Date: October 21, 2015 15:14

Green Lady
MonkeyMan2000
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
IT'S
ONLY
A
GOOD
ALBUM
AND
WE
IT

- Doxa

We = Los Richardos

(Don't forget Las Richardas, too - much nicer than those tacky Keithettes!)

I need to apologize, Green Lady. I just did some research of the history of the term "Keithette" in the archives, and it was actually you, years ago, using it, and you use it in a positive, appropriate way in self-description. It is lem motlow who is the father of the pejorative use (also some years ago), and I picked it from him and applied here...

Sorry for causing such a bad connotation for your nice and harmless term...

- Doxa

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...207208209210211212213214215216217...LastNext
Current Page: 212 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home