Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...119120121122123124125126127128129...LastNext
Current Page: 124 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 02:18

thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 6, 2015 02:36

KRiffhard
Bashlets
so what is the prediction for the final song to be released this coming Monday?
Georgelicks posted some remark a couple of weeks back that HEARTSTOPPER would be the key to sell this album. So im hoping this is unleashed on the world on 7th of September. We are now less than 2 weeks away.

I think it will be 'Nothing on me'...what a song, i love it!

Nothing on Me would be a good choice, I need hear it in good quality. Honestly it doesn't much matter any of the remaining songs will be great to hear!!

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: September 6, 2015 04:43

Bashlets
so what is the prediction for the final song to be released this coming Monday?
Georgelicks posted some remark a couple of weeks back that HEARTSTOPPER would be the key to sell this album. So im hoping this is unleashed on the world on 7th of September. We are now less than 2 weeks away.

Based on the previous 3 unlocks, Illusion or Love Overdue would both be good choices if they're trying to show how eclectic the album is. Goodnight Irene would fit that criteria too.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 6, 2015 08:29

Rolling Hansie
tumbled
We are so lucky keith lived this long and made these trax I can't pick them apart they are gems to me

Right on

You're right...all gems.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 6, 2015 09:34

My Cat, my Keith.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 6, 2015 09:34

Keith was in Paris (look FB page)
Promotion LP I guess

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 6, 2015 12:49

Maybe Keith was in Paris to set up the next plaque, after he realized his team was useless smiling smiley

Date: September 6, 2015 12:59

gwen
Maybe Keith was in Paris to set up the next plaque, after he realized his team was useless smiling smiley

..or maybe to start the Stones Paris sessions!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 14:06

+1thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beersmileys with beer

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 6, 2015 14:41

ohmercy61
we are another great album

I'm not;
I am jus a fellah...
(with a one-track mind)

Date: September 6, 2015 18:48

Now #6 on Amazon's top 10 rock charts and good reviews all over the world!
[www.amazon.com]

Old lion roar again! smileys with beer

Posted by: Amy340 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 19:13

[pcrichardandson.votigo.com]

I don't know if the above link will work but PC Richard and Son is running a contest for a Q&A event with Keith, two tickets for an event Sept 15th at the I Heart Radio Theater in NYC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-06 19:13 by Amy340.

Date: September 6, 2015 20:32

Amy340
[pcrichardandson.votigo.com]

I don't know if the above link will work but PC Richard and Son is running a contest for a Q&A event with Keith, two tickets for an event Sept 15th at the I Heart Radio Theater in NYC.

...only interview?! eye rolling smiley

Keith interviewed in today's LOS ANGELES TIMES
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 20:52

[www.latimes.com]

Keith Richards on his own again with new solo album, 'Crosseyed Heart'

By Randy Lewis, September 4, 2015 [I saw it in today's print edition]
REPORTING FROM NEW YORK

Keith Richards had just picked up a pack of cigarettes from the coffee table in front of him, skillfully removed the cellophane and fired up the first of a string of smokes while talking about "Crosseyed Heart," his first solo album in nearly 25 years and a rare venture away from his musical identity as guitarist, songwriter and periodic lead singer with the Rolling Stones.

Despite having been finished for some 18 months, the album will finally be released this month.

"I've been on this [Rolling Stones' Zip Code] tour, and that's Numero Uno — the Gig!" Richards, 71, said good-naturedly while sitting recently on a sofa in his manager's office in SoHo.

But now that the Stones are between tours, Richards' wait is coming to an end. The album is due Sept. 18, and he's eyeing the possibility of solo shows this fall, maybe even a short tour now that the Stones' next round of shows, in South America, has been pushed from October and November into January.

Richards started working on what would become "Crosseyed Heart" in 2011, about the time his autobiography, "Life," was becoming an international bestseller.

"The book was the hardest thing I ever did in my life," said Richards, shaking his head. "And you think the record world is bad? The book world is incredible — they've been at it longer."

The process of retracing his life dovetailed neatly with writing new songs with his co-producer and main collaborator, drummer Steve Jordan. Richards began flexing the compositional muscles he hadn't used much with the Stones since the band's most recent album of new material, 2005's "A Bigger Bang."

"We actually didn't start off to make an album, per se," he said. "We said, 'Let's go in and cut a few tracks and see what happens.'

"After about three or four months — we could only do this once a week, sometimes once a month, really, there was no 'project' — we suddenly realized we had half an album. At that point," Richards said through what often sounds like a bucket of gravel in his throat, "we said, 'We might as well go in for the whole hog.'"

Richards' raspy voice and signature hook-heavy guitar work are front and center on "Crosseyed Heart," and he plays bass and keyboards on some of the tracks. He's also tapped some of the same musicians who played on his previous solo outings backed by the band he dubbed the X-Pensive Winos: guitarist Waddy Wachtel, keyboardist Ivan Neville and singer Sarah Dash. Guests include Aaron Neville of New Orleans' celebrated Neville Brothers, longtime Stones saxophonist Bobby Keys (who died in December) and singer Norah Jones, who duets with Richards on "Illusion. "

The latter is one of half a dozen ballads on the album, a shift in pacing that marks one of the major differences between a Richards solo effort and his work with the Stones.

"Mick is not a big one for ballads," he said with a chuckle. "But I do love ballads. Always have. I didn't write 'Angie' for nothing, or 'Ruby Tuesday.'"

Richards' honesty about his longtime bandmate and songwriting partner carries through to his assessment of his own strengths and weaknesses. About his vocal limitations, Richards said: "I'm always dodgy about my voice. It's usually because I don't sing a lot.

"I realize my range is fairly limited, but at the same time, so is Bob Dylan's."

He also includes a hauntingly spare version of blues singer and songwriter Leadbelly's song "Goodnight Irene." Richards, not surprisingly, has turned to the original lyrics, which paint a more harrowing picture than the song gets in the usual campfire sing-along renditions.

I love Irene, God knows I do

Love her till the seas run dry

If Irene ever turns me down

I'm gonna take morphine and die

Richards, of course, has notoriously imbibed more than his share of substances — legal and illegal — over the course of his storied life with the Stones. Yet he's still here, in great spirits, laughing easily, and often, during an interview to discuss how a couple of decades had slipped by without realizing he hadn't made a record apart from the Stones since 1992's "Main Offender."

That was just his second solo effort, after "Talk Is Cheap" in 1988, which belatedly established his solo identity a quarter century after the Stones emerged during the British Invasion as the dark and dangerous counterpart to the Beatles.

Topics on "Crosseyed Heart" run the gamut from lustful romance (the title track) to forgiveness and renewal ("Heartstopper" ) to near-comic real-life mishaps ("Amnesia" ) and the importance of honesty in a relationship ("Illusion" ).

"Amnesia" references a tumble Richards took in 2006 while he was in Fiji, where it was widely reported that he'd fallen out of a tree. "Knocked on my head/ Everything went blank/ I didn't even know the Titanic sank/ How can I regret/ It's so easy to forget.... I can't recall the past, I'm nowhere."

Asked if there are things about his life he regrets, at first he jokes, "I don't know — I forgot them!"

Then he pauses, his voice dropping into a more somber tone. "I lost a son," he said referring to his 2-month-old son, Tara Jo Jo Gunne, who died of sudden infant death syndrome in 1976. "But I don't know if that comes in the realm of regret. It's a sorrow."

'Under the Influence'

Richards' unguardedness about virtually any subject also struck documentary filmmaker Morgan Neville, who has directed a companion Netflix film, "Keith Richards: Under the Influence," that premieres the same day "Crosseyed Heart" is scheduled for release.

"What made the film so much fun," Neville said from his office in L.A.'s Echo Park, "is that he's in such a good place now. He doesn't worry about anything. He's such an honest person; it's rare for a famous person to be that open and honest. That's liberating."

Neville took an Academy Award for his 2013 documentary "20 Feet From Stardom," a homage to backup singers who often remain in the shadows of various rock stars — including the Stones.

With "Under the Influence," Neville said his aim was "to make sure the documentary was timeless in its own way, that it wasn't rooted in the album."

"In fact, I realized later, we don't even mention the name of the album in the film — it's not tied to it in that way," he added. "It's more about where he's at and the process of making the album and the process of making music."

Like the album, the film came together serendipitously. Neville said Richards' manager, Jane Rose, had commissioned him to film an interview in lieu of asking the musician to undertake an extensive round of media sessions to promote the album.

But it's not a major undertaking for Richards to swing by Rose's office for selected interviews, since it's just a few hours from Connecticut, where he lives with his wife of 31 years, former model Patti Hansen.

"As a music geek," Neville said, "it was kind of the documentary I've been training for my whole life. If you started out trying to make a documentary like this, to do all the research you'd need to do to prepare for it, you couldn't. You have to have spent 20 or 30 years as a music obsessive to play in the same game as Keith."

Neville showed up for the first film session with a stack of vinyl records and started mining Richards' passion for old blues, rock, R&B, country, folk and gospel music.

"We weren't trying to tell Keith's life story," Neville said, because Richards had done that himself in his book. "Basically, we were just trying to emulate the experience of hanging out with Keith."

Does that mean Neville can now check "hanging out with Keith" off his own bucket list?

"There's the bucket list," Neville said, "and there are other things too unimaginable to even make your bucket list. This is one of those."

Twitter: @RandyLewis2

Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 7, 2015 01:38

I looked up Keith being in Paris and got this... from 1992!!!!

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 7, 2015 01:43

bye bye johnny
Photo's from the same round of press as other recent shots, the ones where *somebody* said he wasn't looking so well...

Yes and im very pleased to say i was wrong smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 7, 2015 02:32

keefriffhards
bye bye johnny
Photo's from the same round of press as other recent shots, the ones where *somebody* said he wasn't looking so well...

where ya been?

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: September 7, 2015 05:49

Contest
Eligibility: P.C. Richard & Son Keith Richards Sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes”) is open to legal residents of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut who are 18 years of age or older.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-07 05:51 by Librarian.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 7, 2015 10:33

Turner68
keefriffhards
bye bye johnny

where ya been?

I'm still around, just giving you guys a rest from me lol

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: September 7, 2015 13:15

It's Keef unlock day. What time do the web guys wake up ?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 7, 2015 14:14

Probably not until 9 a.m. New York time.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 7, 2015 15:41

Deathgod
Probably when the preferred pub opens. drinking smiley

Green Lady
Probably not until 9 a.m. New York time.

New York time? that's a nice service for our friends from the usa but...
What time would that be in greenage meantime?
It is happening in London and Deathgod is in down-under. winking smiley

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: September 7, 2015 16:01

Substantial damage. I like it. But The riff is the middle part of "if you can't rock me". Surely Keith knows this ? What gives

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 7, 2015 16:05

Deathgod

Last week it was 5PM British time, which may well be 9AM in NYC
I hope the fact that it's a holiday in the US doesn't stop them

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 7, 2015 16:48

Anitapal82
Substantial damage. I like it. But The riff is the middle part of "if you can't rock me". Surely Keith knows this ? What gives

Nothing gives. He always says that all songs are relatives of each other. JJF is Satisfaction backwards, etc.

Date: September 7, 2015 17:19

Sure. But satisfaction doesn't sound like jumpin jack flash , substantial damage sounds like the middle riff from if you can't rock me

Date: September 7, 2015 17:24

Also while we are at it , in " trouble " I can hear the intro riff from "can't you hear me knocking " . The point is surely Keith can hear these similarities too , and why bother rehashing these great riffs again

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 7, 2015 17:26

Substantial Damage to me sounds like nothing but chaos.smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 7, 2015 17:30

C'mon, Anitapal81 - there's only so many ways you can combine three chords! :E

Seriously, though: I have to strain to hear a similarity between Trouble and CYHMK,
so they're not close enough to fret about. In Substantial Damage he seems to be deliberately quoting IYCRM,
and I reckon he has his reasons. I wonder if the songwriting credit on that one will be Jagger/Richards/Jordan?

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 7, 2015 17:31

Anitapal82
Also while we are at it , in " trouble " I can hear the intro riff from "can't you hear me knocking " . The point is surely Keith can hear these similarities too , and why bother rehashing these great riffs again

No, the point is, Keith has done this since forever, so why start being bothered by it now?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...119120121122123124125126127128129...LastNext
Current Page: 124 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home