Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...124125126127128129130131132133134...LastNext
Current Page: 129 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:05

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Keith and his people have been smart in selecting songs to unlock. Only a couple of nuggets compared to most of the other ten songs, imo.

I love the strategy of trickling them out like this. I've listened to some of them more carefully than I would've if they'd just been dumped out all at once

Yes it is a great strategy for reasons you stated Turner.
As a matter of fact I might utilize this strategy when the album is officially released...ONE SONG per week at a time.
Just kidding - that would be impossible. thumbs up

Other than the official four released, still haven't heard any other snippets and/or boots intentionally, and that's probably the most restraint I can muster.
When I have the whole package in my hands and play it loud from start to finish repeatedly, the whole western part of the United States will surely know about.

Are we almost there yet?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:10

Hairball
As I predicted somewhere at the beginning of this thread (before anything had been released):
"Keith will show who is the mastermind behind the Stones", and it's been proven that my prediction was correct (imo).
Diversity, authenticity, sincerity, creativity...these are a few of the things lacking when I hear a Mick solo album.
Not to bash Mick as he's obviously the greatest front man in rock and roll as part of the Rolling Stones,
but when it comes to doing something new and 'creative' on his own, we get something like 'Let's Work' or Superheavy.
Sometimes I just wish Mick would know his place and stick to his role as the singer/lyricist,
and let Keith take the lead when it comes to knowing and writing great music.
If that were the case, we could have ended up with a great Stones album!

With that said - looking forward to hearing the new Mick/Don Henley collaboration. eye rolling smiley

Keith is about to release a really nice album, but he is not proving anything except just showing he can still produce nice, but rather obvious roots-based music with good variance, which seemingly resonates very well with the taste of the people who already love him dearly. Forget all those "mastermind" or anything that sort of. That bus has long gone. We are not actually talking about "Gimme Shelter" - or anything close to the work to the Stones at their best - here.

But I think the best feature with CROSSEYED HEART is that Keith really sounds like an autonumous artistic individual who doesn't need Jagger and the Stones any longer to accomplish his ideas and visions. Nor the Stones are missing here anything.

- Doxa

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:12

I can't wait for this release! I've only heard Trouble so far, which I think is great ... I've avoided the other tracks as I want to hear the rest with the full album. I imagine we'll have a leak within 5 days or so. **edit** I mean 'real' cd leak ... i tried listening to the other briefly but the quality was too poor that I stopped myself and decided to wait

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 20:13 by LeonidP.

Date: September 8, 2015 20:16

Hairball
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Keith and his people have been smart in selecting songs to unlock. Only a couple of nuggets compared to most of the other ten songs, imo.

I love the strategy of trickling them out like this. I've listened to some of them more carefully than I would've if they'd just been dumped out all at once

As a matter of fact I might utilize this strategy when the album is officially released...ONE SONG per week at a time.

Other than the official four released, still haven't heard any other snippets and/or boots intentionally, and that's probably the most restraint I can muster.
When I have the whole package in my hands and play it loud from start to finish repeatedly, the whole western part of the United States will surely know about.

Are we almost there yet?

I think that is a bad strategy. Had I not had that bootleg into my hands, and just listened these 'unlocked' tokens, I probably had lost my interest by now. The album works nicely as a whole - like the albums did ages ago - making a certain kind of general musical statement, but individual tracks doesn't stand by their own, me thinks.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 20:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:23

[www.youtube.com]

i heard it in the radio and thought it has some similarities with Robbed Blind grinning smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:24

Hairball
Naturalist
I think sticking to the music instead of slagging others for their opinions because they don't match your own is probably pretty good policy.

Yeah that sounds like a great policy, but...

Natuarlist
if people want to use this track to judge the reggae genre in any way I can only suggest they go put on a Bob Marley record,
Survival perhaps, and then revisit this Keith tune with a bit of proper reggae perspective. lol

While perhaps not 'slagging' others for their opinions, it does comes across as a bit condescending at the least.
If you want to base your opinions on Reggae solely on Bob Marley (who I also love) thats great,
but your missing a whole world of diversity out there.

Bob Marley is just the tip of the iceberg as far as great Reggae is concerned.

Well I didn't mean to come off as condescending, my apologies. I certainly don't base my opinions of reggae on just Bob Marley but if I had to list one artist that defines the genre, for me, he is certainly the one. His music certainly got me into reggae and is my favorite reggae artist to this day. I guess my intention was just to point out what I thought was "pure" reggae and that I didn't think Keith's tune was a particularly good example of it from that "perspective". It's just an opinion not meant to offend in any way. Again, my apologies.

I think I'll avoid these genre discussions from now on because they tend to bring out some wicked passion and strict judgments, mine included.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:28

Doxa
Hairball
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

Are we almost there yet?

I think that is a bad strategy. Had I not had that bootleg into my hands, and just listened these 'unlocked' tokens, I probably had lost my interest by now. The album works nicely as a whole - like the albums did ages ago - making a certain kind of general musical statement, but individual tracks doesn't stand by their own, me thinks.

- Doxa

To each his own Doxa thumbs up.

I'm also of the old school where an entire album means more than the sum of it's parts, but somehow this strategy has become intriguingly successful.
With four great tunes already etched in my mind my interest is at a peak, I'm now looking forward to hearing the new release in it's entirety!
And with various hints coming from DandelionPowderman, I'm sure I will not be let down.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:28

Doxa
Hairball
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

Are we almost there yet?

- Doxa

I haven't listened to the bootleg and am hearing these tracks for the first time and think it is great. I am looking forward even more to hearing them all together.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:53

Turner68
I haven't listened to the bootleg and am hearing these tracks for the first time and I think it is great.
I am looking forward even more to hearing them all together.

100% likewise

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: September 8, 2015 21:13

Love Overdue is no more "pure" Jamaican reggae than Sweet Virginia or Dead Flowers were "authentic" American country that would've been heard blasting out of a radio in the Deep South during the 1950s.

And they're not supposed to be.

This is Keith and the Stones interpreting musical influences in a way that makes it uniquely their own. To that end, all of these tracks fit their respective albums perfectly, in a way that makes them feel of a piece. Indeed, one of the strengths of Crosseyed Heart is the way is manages to weave such diverse styles throughout the album- from reggae to soul to folk.

Judging by the existence of a Lee Perry mix, Keith had a chance to include a version of Love Overdue that was closer to the song's Jamaican roots but opted not to take it. I assume he wanted to maintain that balance the album enjoys with all these various styles creating a distinct blend. He wanted that undercurrent of the blues extending out from the title track and running through to the end. Taken in that light, you begin to realize that something like, say, that brief breakdown in Love Overdue isn't all that different from the one Keith employs similarly in Amnesia. It's not a feeble attempt to try and imitate something he's heard others perform. It's just part of his musical DNA and how he interprets things at this point.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 8, 2015 21:20

Doxa
Hairball
As I predicted somewhere at the beginning of this thread (before anything had been released):
"Keith will show who is the mastermind behind the Stones", and it's been proven that my prediction was correct (imo).
Diversity, authenticity, sincerity, creativity...these are a few of the things lacking when I hear a Mick solo album.
Not to bash Mick as he's obviously the greatest front man in rock and roll as part of the Rolling Stones,
but when it comes to doing something new and 'creative' on his own, we get something like 'Let's Work' or Superheavy.
Sometimes I just wish Mick would know his place and stick to his role as the singer/lyricist,

With that said - looking forward to hearing the new Mick/Don Henley collaboration. eye rolling smiley

Keith is about to release a really nice album, but he is not proving anything except just showing he can still produce nice, but rather obvious roots-based music with good variance, which seemingly resonates very well with the taste of the people who already love him dearly. Forget all those "mastermind" or anything that sort of. That bus has long gone. We are not actually talking about "Gimme Shelter" - or anything close to the work to the Stones at their best - here.

But I think the best feature with CROSSEYED HEART is that Keith really sounds like an autonumous artistic individual who doesn't need Jagger and the Stones any longer to accomplish his ideas and visions. Nor the Stones are missing here anything.

- Doxa

So where are the really great albums coming from these days? Who's making them in 2015? Please help me because I still buy really good music that I like but don't consider nothing more than very enjoyable. How many Gimme Shelter's does an artist have in them? I would rather compare Crosseyed Heart to what's older artists have released for comparison and it compares very favorably. The great news is a lot of Keith's contemporaries are still burning out rather than rusting!!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 8, 2015 21:22

howlingmad
Love Overdue is no more "pure" Jamaican reggae than Sweet Virginia or Dead Flowers were "authentic" American country that would've been heard blasting out of a radio in the Deep South during the 1950s.

And they're not supposed to be.

This is Keith and the Stones interpreting musical influences in a way that makes it uniquely their own. To that end, all of these tracks fit their respective albums perfectly, in a way that makes them feel of a piece. Indeed, one of the strengths of Crosseyed Heart is the way is manages to weave such diverse styles throughout the album- from reggae to soul to folk.

Judging by the existence of a Lee Perry mix, Keith had a chance to include a version of Love Overdue that was closer to the song's Jamaican roots but opted not to take it. I assume he wanted to maintain that balance the album enjoys with all these various styles creating a distinct blend. He wanted that undercurrent of the blues extending out from the title track and running through to the end. Taken in that light, you begin to realize that something like, say, that brief breakdown in Love Overdue isn't all that different from the one Keith employs similarly in Amnesia. It's not a feeble attempt to try and imitate something he's heard others perform. It's just part of his musical DNA and how he interprets things at this point.

hot smileysmileys with beersmiling bouncing smiley
One Love
jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 8, 2015 21:23

with sssoul
Turner68
I haven't listened to the bootleg and am hearing these tracks for the first time and I think it is great.
I am looking forward even more to hearing them all together.

100% likewise

Even after I buy it I try not to overplay an album, but this will get more play than usual >grinning smiley<

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 8, 2015 21:38

Turner68
with sssoul
No one's ruining any songs for me.
Genres are always fuzzy, and reggae is a very diverse style.
Love Overdue is now my second-favourite of the five tracks Keith's released.

my top:

1. robbed blind.
2. amnesia
3. trouble.
4. love overdue
5. substantial damage

my top:

1. substantial damage
2. robbed blind.
3. trouble
4. amnesia
5. love overdue

smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 8, 2015 21:46

For me it's
1 Substantial Damage
2 Love Overdue
3 the other three

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 8, 2015 21:48

Maindefender
Doxa
Hairball

- Doxa

So where are the really great albums coming from these days? Who's making them in 2015? Please help me because I still buy really good music that I like but don't consider nothing more than very enjoyable. How many Gimme Shelter's does an artist have in them? I would rather compare Crosseyed Heart to what's older artists have released for comparison and it compares very favorably. The great news is a lot of Keith's contemporaries are still burning out rather than rusting!!

there's plenty of great music in any kind of genre out there
it depends on one's curiosity i guess
music industry landscape has changed dramatically of course (at least from napster on for sure) so that album, single, promotion etc have changed completely too
but still there's a huge lot of great new music for anyone's taste

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 21:51 by maumau.

Date: September 8, 2015 21:51

DandelionPowderman
I'm looking forward to people telling me that the title track isn't a real blues smoking smiley

Well, here here!grinning smiley

Not really, but let's put it this way: One could put the title track into text books with a guidance 'Uncle Keith is here showing how to play a pure Delta blues'...

But then again, if one is actually into 'real' country blues, why not listen to Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc. than listen to a rather straight-forward, obvious - and a lame - mimic of that by a British rock star? That he plays the stuff roots-friendly and damn (too) closely to traditional arrangements, doesn't make it 'authentic'...

Let's say, it is always nice to hear Richards playing the blues, but the blues fan me in me is not very impressed always... I think "Crosseyed Heart" (the song) is a bit cheap shot, rather light-weight stuff individually, but as nice introduction to theme of the album, it has a point (the point of the whole album, for me, simply is: 'here Keith Richards is playing music, including different kind of genres, he admires and loves to play')

I know I do belong to the minority here, but despite some romantic flavor, I have never considered Keef as any 'blues man' or 'reggae brother' but an unique rock star who has a very good taste in music... If I want to listen some good blues or reggae I probably go to the records he is also crazy for, not any of his...

- Doxa

Date: September 8, 2015 22:08

Turner68
Doxa
Hairball
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

Are we almost there yet?

- Doxa

I haven't listened to the bootleg and am hearing these tracks for the first time and think it is great. I am looking forward even more to hearing them all together.

Well, that's good for you. I probably don't have such strong appetite for Keef's idiosyncracies any longer. The first track I hear was "Trouble" and I wasn't impressed at all. I thought that this must be the most distinctive song in the album, since they release it as a first single, and what that tells about the rest of them... Anyway, when I get to hear the whole album, I realized it wasn't so (there are more memorable tracks), but even more: the song itself suited nicely to the flow of the album.

- Doxa

Date: September 8, 2015 22:15

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
I'm looking forward to people telling me that the title track isn't a real blues smoking smiley

Well, here here!grinning smiley

Not really, but let's put it this way: One could put the title track into text books with a guidance 'Uncle Keith is here showing how to play a pure Delta blues'...

But then again, if one is actually into 'real' country blues, why not listen to Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc. than listen to a rather straight-forward, obvious - and a lame - mimic of that by a British rock star? That he plays the stuff roots-friendly and damn (too) closely to traditional arrangements, doesn't make it 'authentic'...

Let's say, it is always nice to hear Richards playing the blues, but the blues fan me in me is not very impressed always... I think "Crosseyed Heart" (the song) is a bit cheap shot, rather light-weight stuff individually, but as nice introduction to theme of the album, it has a point (the point of the whole album, for me, simply is: 'here Keith Richards is playing music, including different kind of genres, he admires and loves to play')

I know I do belong to the minority here, but despite some romantic flavor, I have never considered Keef as any 'blues man' or 'reggae brother' but an unique rock star who has a very good taste in music... If I want to listen some good blues or reggae I probably go to the records he is also crazy for, not any of his...

- Doxa

By that logic Johnson and Jefferson were copycats, too.

Keith can't help being born in the 40s. He plays and writes the music he loves. Who are we to question "pureness" or to ridicule something as "quasi-reggae, LOL".

Either we like it or we don't. Nobody questioned Hank Williams purity because he didn't play "country music" the way the old irish folk singers did before settlers came to the US. It's a useless debate, imo.

What else can uncle Keith do, but to play the blues, btw? smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 22:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 8, 2015 22:34

DandelionPowderman
Keith can't help being born in the 40s. He plays and writes the music he loves. Who are we to question "pureness" or to call something "quasi-reggae, LOL".

Either we like it or we don't. Nobody questioned Hank Williams purity because he didn't play "country music" the way the old irish folk singers did before settlers came to the US. It's a useless debate, imo.

Well I'm glad you've come to that conclusion after defending the pureness of Keith's reggae track in this thread with such passion. LOL Obviously the argument goes both ways, my friend. We are both listening to the same piece of music, who the heck cares what we call it? Sounds the same even it someone calls it polka.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 22:36

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Keith can't help being born in the 40s. He plays and writes the music he loves. Who are we to question "pureness" or to call something "quasi-reggae, LOL".

Well I'm glad you've come to that conclusion after defending the pureness of Keith's reggae track in this thread with such passion. LOL Obviously the argument goes both ways, my friend. We are both listening to the same piece of music, who the heck cares what we call it? Sounds the same even it someone calls it polka.

i don't think the argument started because dandelion was forcing everyone to say that it was pure reggae, i think the argument started when people started to criticize those who did choose to call it reggae.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 22:38 by Turner68.

Date: September 8, 2015 23:04

Turner68
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

i don't think the argument started because dandelion was forcing everyone to say that it was pure reggae, i think the argument started when people started to criticize those who did choose to call it reggae.

Not worth looking back to find out really, could be just the opposite. But statements like "Who are we to call something quasi reggae" infers that people don't have the right to call it whatever they want. If I say song X is quasi reggae it's just my opinion, much different than saying "you don't have the right to call it "pure reggae".

The difference is expressing an opinion and telling others they don't have the right to do so. One comment is directed at the song, one at the poster. Again I apologize for suggesting people should put on a Marley record to gain perspective on pure reggae. That was an example of a comment directed at other posters, I should have worded it differently, my bad.

I like others here are looking forward to having the whole record in hand and listening to it from beginning to end. I've just got a feeling I will end up appreciating it more that way, for it's diversity, Keith obvious creativity and the way it was recorded which so far I'm generally impressed with.

Date: September 8, 2015 23:22

Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Not worth looking back to find out really, could be just the opposite. But statements like "Who are we to call something quasi reggae" infers that people don't have the right to call it whatever they want. If I say song X is quasi reggae it's just my opinion, much different than saying "you don't have the right to call it "pure reggae".

The difference is expressing an opinion and telling others they don't have the right to do so. One comment is directed at the song, one at the poster. Again I apologize for suggesting people should put on a Marley record to gain perspective on pure reggae. That was an example of a comment directed at other posters, I should have worded it differently, my bad.

I like others here are looking forward to having the whole record in hand and listening to it from beginning to end. I've just got a feeling I will end up appreciating it more that way, for it's diversity, Keith obvious creativity and the way it was recorded which so far I'm generally impressed with.

It's more about questioning why you feel the need to "teach" us about reggae, as you diss the track the very minute it was released. It has nothing to do with what you're entitled to or not - or your opinion per se.

Your criticism gave you away as a reggae novice, hence my comment (and others).

But that's okay. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, of course. Like we agreed on, "purity" is a useless debate. Let's move on.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 23:32

MonkeyMan2000
[www.youtube.com]

i heard it in the radio and thought it has some similarities with Robbed Blind grinning smiley

At least the melody of the verse...

Date: September 8, 2015 23:42

Naturalust

We are both listening to the same piece of music, who the heck cares what we call it? Sounds the same even it someone calls it polka.

Exactly. Besides, Robert Johnson knew his polka; he used to play at Polish parties. Probably didn't even have a clue that he was a "blues man"...

- Doxa

Date: September 9, 2015 00:24

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

It's more about questioning why you feel the need to "teach" us about reggae, as you diss the track the very minute it was released. It has nothing to do with what you're entitled to or not - or your opinion per se.

Your criticism gave you away as a reggae novice, hence my comment (and others).

But that's okay. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, of course. Like we agreed on, "purity" is a useless debate. Let's move on.

confused smiley You are obviously mistaking me for someone else. Never dissed the track, in fact pretty sure I said I liked it. I think your jab at my being a reggae novice is both insulting and probably the furthest from the truth you could imagine. And how could I possible teach you anything? Don't you already know it all? winking smiley

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 9, 2015 00:25

This is a very dangerous album for me......

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 9, 2015 00:26

DandelionPowderman
Isn't it a bit boring to be a Stones fan if not even Keith's guitar moves you?

I'm just trying to see it from your perspective, LongBeachArena72. It's probably been 42 years since the Stones did something interesting, their sound nowadays is boring, Mick makes lousy records, Keith stinks. What DO you like?

I'll assume you're asking "what DO you like from the last 42 years?"

Here goes:

--About half of GHS, IORR, B&B, SG, and TY
--About a third of ER, UNDERCOVER
--None of DIRTY WORK
--"Mixed Emotions" and "Almost Hear You Sigh"
--"Love is Strong" and "Thru and Thru"
--"Flip the Switch" (can't resist that "little shaving kit" line)
--"Let Me Down Slow," "It Won't Take Long," and "Dangerous Beauty"

That's about it. Can't listen to any post-L&G live albums.

Other than that, I mostly listen these days to Bach and Charlie Parker. And I can't get the theme song from Thomas the Tank Engine out of my head, either, since my 22-month-old freak of a son is addicted to that damn show!

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 9, 2015 01:01

There are a lot of words here but nothing of any meaning talk is definitely cheap

Date: September 9, 2015 01:14

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
Isn't it a bit boring to be a Stones fan if not even Keith's guitar moves you?

I'm just trying to see it from your perspective, LongBeachArena72. It's probably been 42 years since the Stones did something interesting, their sound nowadays is boring, Mick makes lousy records, Keith stinks. What DO you like?

I'll assume you're asking "what DO you like from the last 42 years?"

Here goes:

--About half of GHS, IORR, B&B, SG, and TY
--About a third of ER, UNDERCOVER
--None of DIRTY WORK
--"Mixed Emotions" and "Almost Hear You Sigh"
--"Love is Strong" and "Thru and Thru"
--"Flip the Switch" (can't resist that "little shaving kit" line)
--"Let Me Down Slow," "It Won't Take Long," and "Dangerous Beauty"

That's about it. Can't listen to any post-L&G live albums.

Other than that, I mostly listen these days to Bach and Charlie Parker. And I can't get the theme song from Thomas the Tank Engine out of my head, either, since my 22-month-old freak of a son is addicted to that damn show!

See, that wasn't so hard? Good to see that you still find pieces of joy in your favourite (?) band smiling smiley

I use to play Inventions on the piano. Sweet stuff indeed. Bach and Bartok for me thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...124125126127128129130131132133134...LastNext
Current Page: 129 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home