Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...196197198199200201202203204205206...LastNext
Current Page: 201 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 15, 2015 16:10

kammpberg
I don't get the anti-Jagger at all. Crosseyed Heart is a good album - no doubt. Not classic and not fantastic but a good solid album. Jagger's done some great solo stuff and some shitty solo stuff, as has Keith. But these overall generalizations are immature and stupid. And you know what...Jagger's mediocre so called "Dogshit in the Doorway" album is not a great album either, but it's got some really good stuff on it. In fact if you listen with a non-biased ear "God Gave Me Everything", "Don't Call Me Up" and "Too Far Gone" are far superior than anything on Crosseyed Heart.

Let me preface my comment by saying that I've never listened to all of Goddess in the Doorway as I'm not a completest and what I head of the previews at the time didn't inspire me to go out and buy the album.

After reading your post, I went to youtube to listen to the three songs you mentioned. "God Gave Me Everything" was my favorite of the bunch. The other two would be not much more than "filler" on any playlist I would create. While trying, as you stated to "listen with a non-biased ear", I came to the personal conclusion that, not only were none of them "far superior to anything on Crosseyed Heart", but also concluded that I wouldn't replace any of the songs on Crosseyed Heart with any of those three songs.

Glad you enjoy them and thanks for turning me on to "God Gave Me Everything" but, my ears don't hear them, or "Crosseyed Heart" the same way yours apparently do.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 15, 2015 16:16

Come On
It almost sounds as if it is time for a voting round Keith vs Jagger...who's the most important guy for Stones over the years..

JAGGER
just votin'

Both of them are the Rolling Stones
They would of been great on their own, but not the Rolling Stones
And the Rolling Stones is why we are all here

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 15, 2015 16:17

DandelionPowderman
RipThisBone
OpenG:
"I was sort of disappointed that Nothing On Me was from Bigger Bang Sessions and not from CH sessions".

Where did you get this information from? Did Keith say this in an interview?

Yes, he said that Illusion and Nothing On Me were from the ABB sessions.

He said so during an interview for BismarckTribune.com

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 15, 2015 16:23

DandelionPowderman
Try Primitive Cool..

Not sure why he's even bringing up jagger in this thread -- but since we're on it, nothing wrong w/ Primitive Cool, in my book. It does have the horrible Let's Work, but there are some really great tunes, particularly Peace For The Wicked and Radio Control. Oh, and for those praising Robbed Blind (including me), how about the fantastic country Party Doll track ... superb!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 15, 2015 16:31

As said: Superb! Just as this ballad:

2 1 2 0

Date: October 15, 2015 16:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 15, 2015 16:35

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 15, 2015 16:45

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
Try Primitive Cool..

Not sure why he's even bringing up jagger in this thread -- but since we're on it, nothing wrong w/ Primitive Cool, in my book. It does have the horrible Let's Work, but there are some really great tunes, particularly Peace For The Wicked and Radio Control. Oh, and for those praising Robbed Blind (including me), how about the fantastic country Party Doll track ... superb!

Agreed.

But generally, many fans tend to think PC was Mick's poorest album.

Mick's poorest album is She's the Boss/Primitive Cool/Goddess/Alfie/Superheavy

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 15, 2015 17:10

I am actually a huge fan of Goddess in the Doorway. I think Visions, Joy, Dancing, God, Hideway, Don't Call, Too far, Brand New are all really good tunes. Dont like the title track, Lucky Day, Everybody, and Gun especially. Although I am a big fan of that album it does not evoke the same emotions as a classic Stones album which Crosseyed Heart does for me. CH does not stand up there with the big four, but to my ears it's as good as Some Girls, and Tattoo You and that says a ton in 2015.

Date: October 15, 2015 17:14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 15, 2015 17:14

kammpberg
There's a ton of anti-Jagger within these 199 pages. And I feel it's unnecessary. I picked Goddess In The Doorway, because it seems to be Jagger's worst rated album here on IORR and my point is even on Jagger's worst album, there are some better songs than the best of Crosseyed Heart.

I've got all 4 of Jagger's solo albums. All of them have good songs on them. All of them have horrible songs on them, with WANDERING SPIRIT being the least offensive album of all of them ie the best.

SHE'S THE BOSS is horrible - the production is atrocious. But there are songs that I like, the best being Lucky In Love and Secrets. Half A Loaf is hilarious. Running Out Of Luck is hilarious. They're not good by any means but they're entertaining.

PRIMITIVE CONTROL is a little bit better (sonic wise especially) but still, some of the songs are just awful (Let's Work, Radio Control, Primitive Cool, War Baby). Jeff Beck ruins what he plays on.

GODDESS is OK... if you like or can tolerate the new modern sound. It has some decent songs on it - Visions Of Paradise, God Gave Me Everything, Don't Call Me Up, Too Far Gone. But it's just not very good.

Keith, on the other hand, has organic sounding albums and they don't have a triteness to them that Mick's have. It's a huge difference. Yeah, sure, Mick didn't want to sound like the Stones. Some of Keith's tunes sound like the Stones a bit but he is the sound of the Stones, really, so probably hard to avoid. Unlike being a singer doing push button music.

I wouldn't call it negative Jaggerness or whatever... it's just the truth: Mick's solo albums are not enjoyable, Keith's are. I might play a Jagger solo tune once or twice a year at best; Keith's albums I listen to every year.

Date: October 15, 2015 17:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 15, 2015 17:31

keefriffhards
Come On
It almost sounds as if it is time for a voting round Keith vs Jagger...who's the most important guy for Stones over the years..

JAGGER
just votin'

Yes, I think we need to vote on which half is more important.

Date: October 15, 2015 17:37

DandelionPowderman
<PRIMITIVE CONTROL>

Yeah, that's a good one winking smiley

...not as good as Radio Cool!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 15, 2015 18:00

After playing Crosseyed Heart three times this afternoon now it's time for Sticky Fingers Live. Goes down very well with some Mick vocals for a change. Two great releases in one year!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 15, 2015 18:14

RipThisBone
After playing Crosseyed Heart three times this afternoon now it's time for Sticky Fingers Live. Goes down very well with some Mick vocals for a change. Two great releases in one year!

Agree! Listened to Sticky Fingers Live Fonda yesterday working out, my God that band sounds good live '15!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 15, 2015 20:04

Green Lady
keefriffhards
Come On

JAGGER
just votin'

Yes, I think we need to vote on which half is more important.

OK a vote . I vote Mick as the most important singer and Keith as the most important musician

Mick is the voice Keith is the sound.

I honestly don't see how you can compare or vote on one or the other, they are completely different in every way.
I guess they both have stage presence, they have that in common

Push me to a vote i say keith is more important because he sticks to the Stones sound and Mick wants to be something he is not all the time.
So i vote KEITH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 20:14 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 15, 2015 21:26

Grammy nominations - December 7.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 15, 2015 21:32

DeanGoodman

They're going to have to make another category for Keith I'm afraid. Rock?, Pop?, Americana?, it's hard to categorize this one.

Date: October 15, 2015 21:34

I vote for this song...a real gift:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: October 15, 2015 21:46

Turner68
Still have "crosseyed heart" in my CD player in my car and we aren't sick of it yet... always something refreshing, a new "go-to" song every couple of days. Interestingly, "goodnight irene" is just about the only one that hasn't been a favorite at any point.

I'm really re-thinking the last 30 years of Stones history and wondering how much of the problem with song-writing has been the lyrics and the lame attempts at sounding modern. Crosseyed Heart sounds so refreshingly simple, in the same way that the Stones' best work does.

Absolutely, CH has made me think what might have been.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 15, 2015 21:51

GasLightStreet
kammpberg
There's a ton of anti-Jagger within these 199 pages. And I feel it's unnecessary. I picked Goddess In The Doorway, because it seems to be Jagger's worst rated album here on IORR and my point is even on Jagger's worst album, there are some better songs than the best of Crosseyed Heart.

I've got all 4 of Jagger's solo albums. All of them have good songs on them. All of them have horrible songs on them, with WANDERING SPIRIT being the least offensive album of all of them ie the best.

SHE'S THE BOSS is horrible - the production is atrocious. But there are songs that I like, the best being Lucky In Love and Secrets. Half A Loaf is hilarious. Running Out Of Luck is hilarious. They're not good by any means but they're entertaining.

PRIMITIVE CONTROL is a little bit better (sonic wise especially) but still, some of the songs are just awful (Let's Work, Radio Control, Primitive Cool, War Baby). Jeff Beck ruins what he plays on.

GODDESS is OK... if you like or can tolerate the new modern sound. It has some decent songs on it - Visions Of Paradise, God Gave Me Everything, Don't Call Me Up, Too Far Gone. But it's just not very good.

Keith, on the other hand, has organic sounding albums and they don't have a triteness to them that Mick's have. It's a huge difference. Yeah, sure, Mick didn't want to sound like the Stones. Some of Keith's tunes sound like the Stones a bit but he is the sound of the Stones, really, so probably hard to avoid. Unlike being a singer doing push button music.

I wouldn't call it negative Jaggerness or whatever... it's just the truth: Mick's solo albums are not enjoyable, Keith's are. I might play a Jagger solo tune once or twice a year at best; Keith's albums I listen to every year.

How come no mention of Wandering Spirit? I sampled it on I-Tunes yesterday and was impressed with most of the tunes and production.

Date: October 15, 2015 21:57

DandelionPowderman
<PRIMITIVE CONTROL>

Yeah, that's a good one winking smiley

HA HA! Shit! I didn't notice that!

Date: October 15, 2015 21:59

Maindefender
GasLightStreet
kammpberg

How come no mention of Wandering Spirit? I sampled it on I-Tunes yesterday and was impressed with most of the tunes and production.

Uhhh... in bold?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2015 22:02

KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
Try Primitive Cool..

Agreed.

But generally, many fans tend to think PC was Mick's poorest album.

Mick's poorest album is She's the Boss/Primitive Cool/Goddess/Alfie/Superheavy

cool smiley

I see that Mick's 'God Gave ME Everything' has been mentioned several times as being "great".
Isn't that just a Lenny Kravitz tune with Mick on vocals?

"...the Kravitz-produced (and almost self-performed) "God Gave Me Everything" was put forward as the lead single that October".

Goddess=dogshit?

Sounds like typical generic schlock rock to me.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: October 15, 2015 22:03

Maindefender
GasLightStreet
kammpberg

Wandering Sprit is the only one worth bothering with

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 15, 2015 22:13

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
GasLightStreet
kammpberg

Uhhh... in bold?

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 15, 2015 22:14

But the songs arent that good are they? I like the idea of the album but I dont think the material is good.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 15, 2015 22:15

Naturalust
DeanGoodman

They're going to have to make another category for Keith I'm afraid. Rock?, Pop?, Americana?, it's hard to categorize this one.

* American Roots Song (songwriter's award)
* American Roots Performance
* Americana Album

- Rosanne Cash swept these categories last year. Other nominees included John Hiatt, Gregg Allman, Keb Mo, i.e. people in Keith's demo. These are his best bets.

* Blues album + Folk Album would be outside bets.

His record did not have enough traction to justify inclusion in rock (which has been trimmed to 4 categories from 7 a few years ago).

Actually, Keith's best bet is the politically connected Steve Jordan, who gets involved in Grammy events and can spread the word among voters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2015 22:16

DeanGoodman
Naturalust
DeanGoodman

* American Roots Song (songwriter's award)
* American Roots Performance
* Americana Album

- Rosanne Cash swept these categories last year. Other nominees included John Hiatt, Gregg Allman, Keb Mo, i.e. people in Keith's demo. These are his best bets.

* Blues album + Folk Album would be outside bets.

His record did not have enough traction to justify inclusion in rock (which has been trimmed to 4 categories from 7 a few years ago).

Actually, Keith's best bet is the politically connected Steve Jordan, who gets involved in Grammy events and can spread the word among voters.

How about Producer...

Here's a few of Producer awards over the years:

Grammy Producer

Stevie Wonder
Bee Gees
Michael Jackson (and Quincy Jones)
Toto
Phil Collins (and Hugh Padgham)
Don Was
Babyface
among many others....

Surely if they can win, Keith (and Steve Jordan) can win! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 22:18 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...196197198199200201202203204205206...LastNext
Current Page: 201 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2010
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home