Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...198199200201202203204205206207208...LastNext
Current Page: 203 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 16, 2015 12:48

kammpberg
I guess that's what makes music so great... yet so individual. I love both Mick and Keith, yet for me what really counts is "turntable" time - what I actually play and I play all four of Micks solo albums way more than Keith's three. I like Talk Is Cheap the best of Keiths with the new one a close 2nd. I understand some of the comparisons of Keith's new one to EOMS. Not really that they're at all similar or equal in quality (not even in the same ballpark to me), but that they're both growers over time. That they have legs and sound better and better with more listens - agreed. Main Offender to me is largely grooves in search of a song with a couple of exceptions - love 999, Wicked As It Seems and the classis Hate It When You Leave....
By the way, regarding Jaggers vocal style over the last decade - I agree - I HATE it, though I don't hear it so much on his four solo albums. Where I do hear it and HATE it is on the Alfie soundtrack which has some great songs absolutely ruined by his vocals and especially SuperHeavy which has great songs and performance absolutely ruined by Jaggers vocals - absolutely squirm inducing. In fact Jaggers vocals ruin some of A Bigger Bang - especially to me Laugh, I Nearly Died.
Mick should stop trying to be a "singer" and go back to his voice being another instrument in the Rolling Stones mix. Best mix low. Ya know I've heard Tumbling Dice a thousand times and still don't know the words....and that makes it so awesome. His vocals are mixed low...another instrument in the sound of the Stones.....that's the way it should be. Hope you're reading this Mick. You're the most talented in the band (sorry Keith), but you'll never be a great singer, nor do we want you to be.....go back to being Mick Jagger.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: October 16, 2015 12:53

Hairball
DeanGoodman
Naturalust
DeanGoodman
Grammy nominations - December 7.

They're going to have to make another category for Keith I'm afraid. Rock?, Pop?, Americana?, it's hard to categorize this one.

* American Roots Song (songwriter's award)
* American Roots Performance
* Americana Album

- Rosanne Cash swept these categories last year. Other nominees included John Hiatt, Gregg Allman, Keb Mo, i.e. people in Keith's demo. These are his best bets.

* Blues album + Folk Album would be outside bets.

His record did not have enough traction to justify inclusion in rock (which has been trimmed to 4 categories from 7 a few years ago).

Actually, Keith's best bet is the politically connected Steve Jordan, who gets involved in Grammy events and can spread the word among voters.

How about Producer...

Here's a few of Producer awards over the years:

Grammy Producer

Stevie Wonder
Bee Gees
Michael Jackson (and Quincy Jones)
Toto
Phil Collins (and Hugh Padgham)
Don Was
Babyface
among many others....

Surely if they can win, Keith (and Steve Jordan) can win! thumbs up

Don Was could win the 'best muffled/sterilized sound' category.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 16, 2015 13:02

DandelionPowderman
But this is a Keith / CH-thread!

After transferring CH to reel to reel-tape I hear some nuances that I didn't hear on the vinyl. One of the things I hear is more acoustic guitars on Just A Gift. Those guitars sound so beautiful. This is the track that has grown the most on me lately thumbs up

Just A Gift, for me is the best song on any album since Locked Away and You Don't Move Me on TIC.
I can't pick a winner

Date: October 16, 2015 13:16

DandelionPowderman

After transferring CH to reel to reel-tape I hear some nuances that I didn't hear on the vinyl. One of the things I hear is more acoustic guitars on Just A Gift. Those guitars sound so beautiful. This is the track that has grown the most on me lately thumbs up

Hi DP, me too!
I've noticed more acoustic guitar on JAG listening it on SHM-Cd.
What a great song!

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: October 16, 2015 14:49

I'm 52, have almost 300 Rolling Stones albums and singles and been a dye hard Stones fanatic since 1973. I don't expect Mick to sound exactly like he was in 1972. Of course his voice will change. But the way he sings he has control over. It's not so much his "phony" affectations (he did it on Dear Doctor, Far Away Eyes) - he's done that for a long time - for certain songs it works great. It's his recent effort (most notably on A Bigger Bang, Alfie and especially SuperHeavy) where he uses vocal inflections, trying to "Sing" - you know like trying to pull a Mariah Carey in spots. Maybe hard to explain, but it is squirm inducing. I play every stones related release to death, but Mick killed SuperHeavy and it's actually got good songs on it. He makes it unlistenable. Alfie also get's ruined. Old Habits Die Hard is an AWESOME song with a shitty vocal. And yes the mix is important. His vocals are now way to prominent and high. Should be back low in the mix. My favorites are SF, EOMS and GHS - I like that kind of mix - and it has nothing to do with Mick's age.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 16, 2015 15:02

Maybe things started to go wrong with Jagger, when he started to take singing classes?

Back to Crosseyed Heart, I don't know if it's because of singing classes or quitting too many drugs or more self-assurance, but Keith is singing much better on CH than on his previous solo effors, as much as I like those albums too.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 16, 2015 16:07

Coney Island Baby....is the album that comes Close to this one by Keith...Reed was a cool @#$%&...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 16, 2015 16:42

matxil
Maybe things started to go wrong with Jagger, when he started to take singing classes?

Back to Crosseyed Heart, I don't know if it's because of singing classes or quitting too many drugs or more self-assurance, but Keith is singing much better on CH than on his previous solo effors, as much as I like those albums too.

You picked up on an interesting point there, Micks voice has lost its Rock grunt and Thickness since the late 70's, could it be due to his clean living , on the other hand Keith's voice has got better since his recent clean living, and most importantly for him, no coke, and his wife Patti said at round about the making of this album that Keith was embracing a life of sobriety. On tracks like Goodnight Irene Keith almost has the tone he had in the 70's

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 16, 2015 17:34

Just listening to CH again, musically there is so much going on, you can find new details every time you listen to it. The guitars on the album are awesome. And yes, Keith´s voice is better than before!

Btw, maybe someone should open a thread on Mick´s voice... I don´t dare...

post scriptum: Still dont like Goodnight Irene.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 16, 2015 17:46

HMS
Just listening to CH again, musically there is so much going on, you can find new details every time you listen to it. The guitars on the album are awesome. And yes, Keith´s voice is better than before!

Btw, maybe someone should open a thread on Mick´s voice... I don´t dare...

post scriptum: Still dont like Goodnight Irene.

it disturbs me that you and i agree on this album so much. almost makes me think you're joking when you talk about dirty work...hmm....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 16, 2015 17:55

Naturalust
DeanGoodman
Naturalust
DeanGoodman
Grammy nominations - December 7.

They're going to have to make another category for Keith I'm afraid. Rock?, Pop?, Americana?, it's hard to categorize this one.

* American Roots Song (songwriter's award)
* American Roots Performance
* Americana Album

- Rosanne Cash swept these categories last year. Other nominees included John Hiatt, Gregg Allman, Keb Mo, i.e. people in Keith's demo. These are his best bets.

* Blues album + Folk Album would be outside bets.

His record did not have enough traction to justify inclusion in rock (which has been trimmed to 4 categories from 7 a few years ago).

Actually, Keith's best bet is the politically connected Steve Jordan, who gets involved in Grammy events and can spread the word among voters.

Yeah those seem like decent categories for Keith although I don't see them all in the list published by grammy.org.

[www.grammy.org]

This record needs to be honored as a whole, just like it needs to be experienced. The performance category seems out because he has not really performed these songs outside of the studio. And none of the songs are truly stand outs in the grammy sense so that leaves Best Americana Album. Certainly a contender as far as I'm concerned although the continued irony of an English rock star teaching us about Americana is not lost on me. LOL

It's getting about time for a Lifetime Achievement award for Keith although that would be a bit hollow without Mick by his side.

Although I loathe the term perhaps Americana is the 'genre' (is it a genre? It's not really a 'thing', is it?) CROSSEYED HEART fits in with.

Date: October 16, 2015 17:58

DandelionPowderman
georgelicks
The album is a ROCK album, no americana, blues or country.
The only chance to get a nomination is for BEST ROCK ALBUM, but chances for a nomination is 1/10, too many rock albums to choose.

That's correct. First and foremost it's a rock album. But it could be represented in americana as well. Baffling that there isn't a «roots» cathergory..?

The roots music thing is stupid. What the hell is that? Is there a Robert Johnson trophy? A Hank Williams trophy? Are those roots as in the founding fathers of blues and country? It's just a bullshit term. If you are whoever and record a blues album some moron will call it a roots album.

STOOPIT.

Date: October 16, 2015 18:02

keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

Just A Gift, for me is the best song on any album since Locked Away and You Don't Move Me on TIC.
I can't pick a winner

Locked Away is brilliant. That song kills me everytime I listen to it. Another one that does that is Demon.

I love Aaron Neville's backing vocals on Nothing On Me. They pop perfectly. I'm really digging that tune. Just A Gift is similar in that feeling.

Robbed Blind is probably the killer on CH for me.

Date: October 16, 2015 18:04

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
georgelicks
The only chance to get a nomination is for BEST ROCK ALBUM, but chances for a nomination is 1/10, too many rock albums to choose.

That's correct. First and foremost it's a rock album. But it could be represented in americana as well. Baffling that there isn't a «roots» cathergory..?

The roots music thing is stupid. What the hell is that? Is there a Robert Johnson trophy? A Hank Williams trophy? Are those roots as in the founding fathers of blues and country? It's just a bullshit term. If you are whoever and record a blues album some moron will call it a roots album.

STOOPIT.

The Grammys are stupid. Not sure why we are even discussing them.

Date: October 16, 2015 18:09

Turner68
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
georgelicks

STOOPIT.

They're just a stroke. Perhaps they meant something, back when all of this stuff was an actual art. It's not so much anymore, in fact, it hardly is in terms of the eye of culture that's more interested in listening to garbage through tiny ear buds and acting like songs are not even worthy of the price of a shitty cup of coffee that people gladly pay way too much money for.

Nowadays it's used strictly as a way to hype something that labels AB&CDE want to get more sales for another week.

Date: October 16, 2015 18:10

Back when all this was art, it was the schlock that wasn't art that was winning the Grammys

Date: October 16, 2015 18:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 16, 2015 18:45

Haven't checked this thread for some time, and seemingly the fanaticism just seem to go more and more out of hand... A few loud-voiced Keithettes having an competition how to praise Keith and CROSSHEARTED EYE more than the next one, ending up making good old Taylorites to sound common sensical and diplomatic...

Keith yeah yeah yeah... gotta have a grammy, gotta have a grammy... gotta have a recognition.... poor those so called "Stones fans" who don't realize that there is a new EXILE in our hands now... Stupid Mick, can't you see?

This thread makes Jane Rose very, very happy. A mission accomplished.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-16 18:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2015 19:11

No offense Doxa, but why is it important for you to rain on the parade?
Like the Grinch - perhaps you're cynical heart may eventually grow fonder and larger,
and you'll be willing to accept the celebration and those who celebrate.
And like the Grinch, you may even want to join in the festivities someday!

smileys with beer

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 16, 2015 19:14

Doxa
Haven't checked this thread for some time, and seemingly the fanaticism just seem to go more and more out of hand... A few loud-voiced Keithettes having an competition how to praise Keith and CROSSHEARTED EYE more than the next one, ending up making good old Taylorites to sound common sensical and diplomatic...

Keith yeah yeah yeah... gotta have a grammy, gotta have a grammy... gotta have a recognition.... poor those so called "Stones fans" who don't realize that there is a new EXILE in our hands now... Stupid Mick, can't you see?

This thread makes Jane Rose very, very happy. A mission accomplished.

- Doxa

Maybe you should request that bv merge it with the small-talk thread.

Also, I'm confused by your reference to Jane Rose. Although I haven't read every page in this thread, I have posted in it a few times and I was never aware that the mission of this thread was to make her "very, very happy". Silly me, I thought it was so IORRians could have a consolidated thread to discuss Keith's new album. eye rolling smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 16, 2015 19:20

GasLightStreet
Turner68
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
georgelicks

STOOPIT.

They're just a stroke. Perhaps they meant something, back when all of this stuff was an actual art. It's not so much anymore, in fact, it hardly is in terms of the eye of culture that's more interested in listening to garbage through tiny ear buds and acting like songs are not even worthy of the price of a shitty cup of coffee that people gladly pay way too much money for.

Nowadays it's used strictly as a way to hype something that labels AB&CDE want to get more sales for another week.

LOl. I must say I completely disagree about the grammys. Music is an industry which has obviously effected all of us deeply at one time or another and the grammy's, while not perfect, are the best way the industry has to honor and appreciate the artists, producers, songwriters and behind the scenes people who make it happen. The R&R Hall of Fame is somewhat of joke these days but the grammys are the real deal. Or at least the best honorary event I can think of.

Perhaps you may have had to work in that industry to truly appreciate it but I assure you it is regarded highly by many insiders and artists. Perhaps if Keith wins one and delivers a knockout speech of how appreciative he is you guys will change your mind a bit about their importance.

As far as "Americana" goes it is of course just a genre defined by Merriam-Webster in 2011 as "...American music with roots in early folk and country music." I guess as music becomes more homogenized and cross pollinated it becomes necessary to label it since it doesn't fit neatly in the previous definitions. Obviously there are marketing benefits for doing so but it doesn't really change the music, it is what it is, good or bad, who really cares how it is defined? Here is an article about Americana I got from the grammy.org site:

[www.grammy.com]

Keith's record seems to fit this category better than any other. CrossEyed Heart is hardly a "rock" record. It is an eclectic mix of roots music which touches on folk, country, blues and rock. If the record was released in the height of the rock era in the 70's nobody would call it rock, imo. Americana is probably the best way to describe it. Lets hope it is at least nominated in this category.

Date: October 16, 2015 19:34

Naturalust
It is an eclectic mix of roots music which touches on folk, country, blues and rock

I'd also add R&B as well as Soul to the eclecticism of the album.
I hear some Al Green as well as Otis Redding (amongst other musical references) on several occasions throughout the album.

Date: October 16, 2015 19:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: fela ()
Date: October 16, 2015 19:53

yes cheers to an excellent album !! fresh first listen now..and its really good, thank you keith, bravo!

Date: October 16, 2015 19:56

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
Turner68
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
georgelicks

STOOPIT.

LOl. I must say I completely disagree about the grammys. Music is an industry which has obviously effected all of us deeply at one time or another and the grammy's, while not perfect, are the best way the industry has to honor and appreciate the artists, producers, songwriters and behind the scenes people who make it happen. The R&R Hall of Fame is somewhat of joke these days but the grammys are the real deal. Or at least the best honorary event I can think of.

Perhaps you may have had to work in that industry to truly appreciate it but I assure you it is regarded highly by many insiders and artists. Perhaps if Keith wins one and delivers a knockout speech of how appreciative he is you guys will change your mind a bit about their importance.

As far as "Americana" goes it is of course just a genre defined by Merriam-Webster in 2011 as "...American music with roots in early folk and country music." I guess as music becomes more homogenized and cross pollinated it becomes necessary to label it since it doesn't fit neatly in the previous definitions. Obviously there are marketing benefits for doing so but it doesn't really change the music, it is what it is, good or bad, who really cares how it is defined? Here is an article about Americana I got from the grammy.org site:

[www.grammy.com]

Keith's record seems to fit this category better than any other. CrossEyed Heart is hardly a "rock" record. It is an eclectic mix of roots music which touches on folk, country, blues and rock. If the record was released in the height of the rock era in the 70's nobody would call it rock, imo. Americana is probably the best way to describe it. Lets hope it is at least nominated in this category.

I remember playing in the Americana Festival in Nashville - in a rock-blues band - wondering what the hell Americana was and why country and rock music was... being played at an Americana festival when the whole thing was a huge mystery.

And it didn't exactly attract the record label and producers of Nashville to hang out. Out of towners showed up but it was basically a step up from the normal 8 bands in one night Nashville.

I get your take on the Grammys but it really has just become a tool for the past few years. I'm sure they're all grateful to be acknowledged for 45 seconds but the fact that they promote all of these Grammy Nominee albums as if they should all be #1 LPs is absurd. Months of hype but only a few seconds to acknowledge people? Billy Joel... I have a friend that won 3 Grammys (last that she told me anyway)... one of them got ruined by some nasty flood water. The Academy refused to help her replace it or do anything with it.

I guess it's incredibly difficult to, I dunno, make a statue.

So it may be a gleam in someone's eye but it's all just overblown hype.

Date: October 16, 2015 20:04

Look at the Grammy winners in the 50s 60s and 70s and tell me again it is a serious award to be respected.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: October 16, 2015 20:06

Has anyone noticed that if you turn to total Right Balance you get a breakdown of instruments. Left balance is bass. well its fun to play around with the balance and fade because the instruments are significantly separated.eye popping smileythumbs up I should add that I am talking about the title of this topic which is CROSSEYED HEART!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-16 20:07 by tumbled.

Date: October 16, 2015 20:07

Simple example: bob Dylan never won a Grammy (unless you count traveling wilburys and concert for Bangladesh) until he got a lifetime achievement award.

The lifetime achievement awards are to be respected. They are basically the apologies for not rewarding the best music when it actually came out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-16 20:10 by Turner68.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 16, 2015 20:11

Turner68
Simple example: bob Dylan never won a Grammy (unless you count traveling wilburys and concert for Bangladesh) until he got a lifetime achievement award.

The lifetime achievement awards are to be respected. They are basically the apologies for not rewarding the best music when it actually came out.

Apart from the Lifetime Achievement, the Traveling Wilburys and the Concert for Bangladesh, he won another 8 Grammys for his own albums and compositions. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-16 20:13 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: October 16, 2015 20:13

Dylan's first Grammy win was in 1980 for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Male "Gotta Serve Somebody".

Here's a list of all his nominations and wins:

Dylan Grammy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-16 20:13 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...198199200201202203204205206207208...LastNext
Current Page: 203 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home