Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...195196197198199200201202203204205...LastNext
Current Page: 200 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Date: October 15, 2015 10:10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 11:00

I think, if you understand what's so good about EOMS, you will understand what's so good about CH!

200 pages for Mr Richards!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 11:04 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 15, 2015 11:01

kammpberg
There's a ton of anti-Jagger within these 199 pages. And I feel it's unnecessary. I picked Goddess In The Doorway, because it seems to be Jagger's worst rated album here on IORR and my point is even on Jagger's worst album, there are some better songs than the best of Crosseyed Heart.

I'm not anti-Jagger as such; there is only one singer in the world who can convincingly sing Start Me Up, or Jumping Jack Flash or Slave or, hell, even Angie, and loads of other great Stones songs.
But I find it such a pity that somewhere starting from the 80's, Mick Jagger lost some of his sincere, youthful enthusiasm, his fun, his talent for taking a song out of traditional rock/blues/soul and give it an exciting turn, something half tongue-in-cheek, half sexy, half challenging. Instead, he seems to continuously "try something". Trying to be young, trying to be Prince, trying to be cool, trying to be loud, trying to be angry, trying to be political, trying to be ironic, ... Lots of people like Wandering Spirit, and I'm sure the songwriting is fine, but his delivery, the fake accent, the "grawwwwlihng", the selfconscious emotional trembling in the ballads, it all sounds so fake to me, that I cannot listen to it. I like Miracle Worker of SuperHeavy, I like Doom and Gloom, but I find that unfortunately on a lot of Jagger's output, both solo and with the Stones, there is this fakeness, which I find such a pity.
Whereas of Crosseyed Heart, you could say it's not "modern" or that there are "no hits" on it, but to me, it's like "Exile on Main Street", or some of the best albums of Tom Waits: an album of "just good music", someone who has the peace of mind, the self-reliance, the joy of discovering great songs and playing them with as much joy and fun and trueness as possible.
Sorry for all the hyperboles, but that's the closest as I can get to an explanation.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 15, 2015 11:02

I think this album sounds like something to frighten disobedient children with ...grinning smiley

Jagger is Always a excellent singer on all of his songs from solo-albums...Just saying...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: October 15, 2015 11:15

Date: October 15, 2015 11:28

DandelionPowderman
Come On
I think this album sounds like something to frighten disobedient children with ...grinning smiley

Jagger is Always a excellent singer on all of his songs from solo-albums...Just saying...smoking smiley

The Stones's danger is back!

Not even a new born baby would raise an eyebrow to Let's Work, no matter how the vocal is. Just saying smiling smiley

No, but his mother would...Just repeeting..smiling smiley BTW just listening to this new Keith-album for the first time and 'Robbed Blind' is a real nice song...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 11:31

yeah robbed blind is one of the stand-outs for me too.

Date: October 15, 2015 11:35

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 12:42

Rockman
'Substantial Damage' hitting me anew,

Highly influenced by Steve Jordan's production
and participation on the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion albums Plastic Fang and Damage

That's for sure. And the riff is basically the same as the one in the breakdown section of 'If you can't rock me'.

Just sayin' eye rolling smiley

Date: October 15, 2015 12:48

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 12:55

DandelionPowderman
Roll73
Rockman
'Substantial Damage' hitting me anew,

Highly influenced by Steve Jordan's production
and participation on the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion albums Plastic Fang and Damage

That's for sure. And the riff is basically the same as the one in the breakdown section of 'If you can't rock me'.

Just sayin' eye rolling smiley

...which is just another variation of the breakdown section in CYHMK, only faster.

Just sayin' winking smiley

As Neil Young once said (about his own stuff admittedly),

"It's all one song!"

Date: October 15, 2015 12:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 15, 2015 13:14

matxil
kammpberg
There's a ton of anti-Jagger within these 199 pages. And I feel it's unnecessary. I picked Goddess In The Doorway, because it seems to be Jagger's worst rated album here on IORR and my point is even on Jagger's worst album, there are some better songs than the best of Crosseyed Heart.

I'm not anti-Jagger as such; there is only one singer in the world who can convincingly sing Start Me Up, or Jumping Jack Flash or Slave or, hell, even Angie, and loads of other great Stones songs.
But I find it such a pity that somewhere starting from the 80's, Mick Jagger lost some of his sincere, youthful enthusiasm, his fun, his talent for taking a song out of traditional rock/blues/soul and give it an exciting turn, something half tongue-in-cheek, half sexy, half challenging. Instead, he seems to continuously "try something". Trying to be young, trying to be Prince, trying to be cool, trying to be loud, trying to be angry, trying to be political, trying to be ironic, ... Lots of people like Wandering Spirit, and I'm sure the songwriting is fine, but his delivery, the fake accent, the "grawwwwlihng", the selfconscious emotional trembling in the ballads, it all sounds so fake to me, that I cannot listen to it. I like Miracle Worker of SuperHeavy, I like Doom and Gloom, but I find that unfortunately on a lot of Jagger's output, both solo and with the Stones, there is this fakeness, which I find such a pity.
Whereas of Crosseyed Heart, you could say it's not "modern" or that there are "no hits" on it, but to me, it's like "Exile on Main Street", or some of the best albums of Tom Waits: an album of "just good music", someone who has the peace of mind, the self-reliance, the joy of discovering great songs and playing them with as much joy and fun and trueness as possible.
Sorry for all the hyperboles, but that's the closest as I can get to an explanation.

thumbs up
...and i would add his nasal, thin and too forced voice.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 15, 2015 13:17

There,s tons of anti Jaggers all over Iorr fight now.You can,t Vardøy open snu topic without ready anything negative comments about Jagger.So here we have all Anti Jaggers connected om the same forum.And to say Keith,s new album is the new Exile,that sums IT up all.Plain stupidity

Date: October 15, 2015 13:23

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 15, 2015 13:40

This is Keith's best album this far...almost sayin'

2 1 2 0

Date: October 15, 2015 13:48

Date: October 15, 2015 13:50

Date: October 15, 2015 13:53

DandelionPowderman
CH IS the new Exile! Thank you, Keith thumbs up

It's the Sound! Have to agree for using this producer to make Stones next one..
thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Date: October 15, 2015 14:00

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 15, 2015 14:05

DandelionPowderman
CH IS the new Exile! Thank you, Keith thumbs up

Yes - I have not listened to a stones record since I got CH - play it all day while I work. I was sort of disappointed that Nothing On Me was from Bigger Bang Sessions and not from CH sessions.

play the guitar boy

Date: October 15, 2015 14:15

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 15, 2015 14:52

OpenG:
"I was sort of disappointed that Nothing On Me was from Bigger Bang Sessions and not from CH sessions".

Where did you get this information from? Did Keith say this in an interview?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 14:53 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 15, 2015 14:53

KRiffhard
matxil
kammpberg

thumbs up
...and i would add his nasal, thin and too forced voice.

thumbs up +1

Date: October 15, 2015 15:15

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 15, 2015 15:19

harlem shuffle
There,s tons of anti Jaggers all over Iorr fight now.You can,t Vardøy open snu topic without ready anything negative comments about Jagger.So here we have all Anti Jaggers connected om the same forum.And to say Keith,s new album is the new Exile,that sums IT up all.Plain stupidity

When so many people complain about Mick, then maybe not without any reason.

Crosseyed Heart has not much in common with Exile, but it is the better album, imo. CH is loaded with excellent songs, there are 15 songs and you have to look hard to find a filler. I only found "Goodnight Irene" but other people love it. Good advice for people who think, CH is nothing special or average: Listen to it at least a dozen times, then make your final judgement. It took me some time to fully appreciate this wonderful new album, but now I am an addict!

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 15, 2015 15:43

I aggree that Keith's album is very good'but no anything nearbye Exile.But what's the pointer to putte Jagger name in everywhere?And Just only for putte inn som negative comments.I really can't see the point.Dandelion powderman'Fansince 64 can probably tell us all why they dont like Jagger

Date: October 15, 2015 15:55

It almost sounds as if it is time for a voting round Keith vs Jagger...who's the most important guy for Stones over the years..

JAGGER
just votin'

2 1 2 0

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 15, 2015 15:58

harlem shuffle
I aggree that Keith's album is very good'but no anything nearbye Exile.But what's the pointer to putte Jagger name in everywhere?And Just only for putte inn som negative comments.I really can't see the point.Dandelion powderman'Fansince 64 can probably tell us all why they dont like Jagger

There are two points:
1) Jagger might read this and one day he might see the light, and sing like he used to do without trying to be something that he's not.
2) in case 1) fails: it might be better if instead of making another Stones album, Keith would just tour on this new album, and make another one in - say - another 5 years. (It seems that just as good wine and good whiskey, Keith's albums need time).

Of course, most likely, none of the Stones could give a flying toss about what we think here on IORR, but oh well...
With enough perspective everything is pointless since one day our entire galaxy will turn into a black hole, including Crosseyed Heart.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 15, 2015 15:59

I like all the songs from CH - I think Lover's Plea and Amensia are masterpieces - something for nothing conjures up Warren Zevon for me. Nothing on me - has a little of the melody of All Most Hear You Sigh.

play the guitar boy

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...195196197198199200201202203204205...LastNext
Current Page: 200 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home