Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...199200201202203204205206207208209...LastNext
Current Page: 204 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 16, 2015 20:13

Hairball
Naturalust
It is an eclectic mix of roots music which touches on folk, country, blues and rock

I'd also add R&B as well as Soul to the eclecticism of the album.
I hear some Al Green as well as Otis Redding (amongst other musical references) on several occasions throughout the album.

Yes I was actually going to include those two references too! Eclectic is certainly the best way to describe the record, it's all over the place genre wise. It's one of the things that makes the record so endearing, no sticking to formulas or record company or band preconceptions about categorizing it. Just the songs which happened to be in Keith's heart at the time with a screw 'em if they don't get it attitude.

I guess there is some risk involved in making a record like this, most new artists wouldn't be given the opportunity and I think the success of it might just pave the way for others to take a similar approach.

I recall the first time I heard people describing Americana, it kind of came from the alt-country bands like Wilco and Son Volt and some other more folk based singer songwriters in the mid to late 90's. I think it was just a way to group all these bands together who weren't playing pop or straight ahead rock but were taking their influences from a wide range of American roots music. I've actually come to like the term because I love the fact that America has given the world the gift of great music more than any other country. It is our saving grace in these troubled times when we are trying to give the world an unneeded policeman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 16, 2015 20:14

CH is a great record - my only negative is all the songs did not come from the CH sessions with two from ABB sessions. I think Nothing on Me has the melody from Allmost Hear You Sigh which came from the talk is cheap sessions. You get the impression from all the interviews and under the influence that all the ideas came from CH sessions.

Date: October 16, 2015 20:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 16, 2015 20:15

Hairball
Dylan's first Grammy win was in 1980 for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Male "Gotta Serve Somebody".

Here's a list of all his nominations and wins:

Dylan Grammy

My mistake, thanks for pointing it out

However it also kind of makes my point about the Grammys don't you think? :-)

Date: October 16, 2015 20:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2015 20:20

Turner68
Hairball
Dylan's first Grammy win was in 1980 for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Male "Gotta Serve Somebody".

Here's a list of all his nominations and wins:

Dylan Grammy

My mistake, thanks for pointing it out

However it also kind of makes my point about the Grammys don't you think? :-)

What was your point? haha just kdding...

Yes it makes your point, had it been up to me Dylan would have won every nomination! smoking smiley

But still, I believe there's some importance to the Grammy Awards despite some of the inconsistencies throughout the years.
What else is there to acknowledge music and musicians?

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 16, 2015 20:26

Turner68
Simple example: bob Dylan never won a Grammy (unless you count traveling wilburys and concert for Bangladesh) until he got a lifetime achievement award.

The lifetime achievement awards are to be respected. They are basically the apologies for not rewarding the best music when it actually came out.

He got a gospel rock one in his own right, same with Elvis, for gospel. The myriad oversights are old news. Lifetime achievements used to be part of the ceremony. Now they are a very low-key event a few days before, and barely acknowledged on the telecast.

The Grammys are a huge deal for the talented folks who write songs, play instruments, design album packages, engineer, produce and mix records in a vast range of nonclassical and classical fields. Some chamber music group from Ohio or @Hairball's favorite Hawaiian music combo will enjoy major pre$tige with a Grammy win. At the other end, when Neil Young finally won for the first time a few years ago, he made sure to be there and accept with much gratitude.

But back to Keith, I'd say his chances of a nomination and especially a win are slim. Much depends on competing projects, and I am bit out of the loop on that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-16 20:28 by DeanGoodman.

Date: October 16, 2015 20:27

Hairball
But still, I believe there's some importance to the Grammy Awards despite some of the inconsistencies throughout the years.

Exactly. thumbs up As I said as soon as Keith wins one these grammy detractors will be praising their importance. But if he doesn't at least receive a nomination even I will be questioning them this year. lol

Posted by: keefriffhards ()

GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
But this is a Keith / CH-thread!

After transferring CH to reel to reel-tape I hear some nuances that I didn't hear on the vinyl. One of the things I hear is more acoustic guitars on Just A Gift. Those guitars sound so beautiful. This is the track that has grown the most on me lately thumbs up

Just A Gift, for me is the best song on any album since Locked Away and You Don't Move Me on TIC.
I can't pick a winner

Locked Away is brilliant. That song kills me everytime I listen to it. Another one that does that is Demon.

I love Aaron Neville's backing vocals on Nothing On Me. They pop perfectly. I'm really digging that tune. Just A Gift is similar in that feeling.

Robbed Blind is probably the killer on CH for me.

Wow nothing on me, i had no idea that was Aaron's backing vocals, would you agree that the only problem with Robbed Blind is the fact that the lyric don't fit the song. The song sounds beautiful and romantic, but the lyric is about someone with 200 million pounds being robbed, someone stole his money WTF its not viable

1964 song of the year - "Hello Dolly"
1965 - "The Shadow of Your Smile"
1966 - "Michelle"
1967 - "Up, up and Away"
1968 - "Little Green Apples"
1969 - "Games People Play"

The Stones have won one grammy for best album.... for "Voodoo Lounge" Does anyone think it's their best album, or in the top 5 of 10 of their best albums?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-16 20:29 by Turner68.

Date: October 16, 2015 20:28

Naturalust
Hairball

Exactly. thumbs up As I said as soon as Keith wins one these grammy detractors will be praising their importance. But if he doesn't at least receive a nomination even I will be questioning them this year. lol

I pledge to be embarrassed if he wins a grammy.

Date: October 16, 2015 20:30

Turner68
Naturalust
Hairball

Lol you been on grandpa's cough medicine again turner

Date: October 16, 2015 20:33

keefriffhards
Turner68
Naturalust
Hairball

LOFLL

Date: October 16, 2015 20:42

Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68
Naturalust
Hairball

LOFLL

If keith win we both celebrate turner smileys with beer

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 16, 2015 20:48

keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68
Naturalust
Hairball

LOFLL

We all meet somewhere and open a bottle of Dom Perignon!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 16, 2015 20:50

MonkeyMan2000
keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68
Naturalust
Hairball

LOFLL

Since it's Keith and I'm not that much of a fan of "Dom" could we use either Jack Daniels or whatever his favorite brand of Vodka may by instead?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 16, 2015 20:58

mr_dja
MonkeyMan2000
keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68
Naturalust
Hairball

LOFLL

Since it's Keith and I'm not that much of a fan of "Dom" could we use either Jack Daniels or whatever his favorite brand of Vodka may by instead?

To keep you both happy i will be only too pleased to drink JD and 'Dom' at the same time smoking smiley

Date: October 16, 2015 20:59

mr_dja

When you mix it with orange soda it doesn't really matter that much, no? There was an article a while back where someone wrote about Keith's assistant making his drinks from a case of little airplane bottles of Absolut Stoli. Two shots and the orange soda.

edit: corrected per DP's remembering the brand. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-16 21:12 by Naturalust.

Date: October 16, 2015 21:04

Naturalust
mr_dja

When you mix it with orange soda it doesn't really matter that much, no? There was an article a while back where someone wrote about Keith's assistant making his drinks from a case of little airplane bottles of Absolut. Not sure about the brand but it was mentioned. Two shots and the orange soda.

Yeah vodka, lots of it, and sunkist orange. But i wonder why the hell does he like it so much. Knowing keith he did his research, its probably the healthiest drink in the world, but we don't know yet lol

Date: October 16, 2015 21:09

Date: October 16, 2015 21:10

Date: October 16, 2015 21:19

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

After transferring CH to reel to reel-tape I hear some nuances that I didn't hear on the vinyl. One of the things I hear is more acoustic guitars on Just A Gift. Those guitars sound so beautiful. This is the track that has grown the most on me lately thumbs up

Just A Gift, for me is the best song on any album since Locked Away and You Don't Move Me on TIC.
I can't pick a winner

Locked Away is brilliant. That song kills me everytime I listen to it. Another one that does that is Demon.

I love Aaron Neville's backing vocals on Nothing On Me. They pop perfectly. I'm really digging that tune. Just A Gift is similar in that feeling.

Wow nothing on me, i had no idea that was Aaron's backing vocals, would you agree that the only problem with Robbed Blind is the fact that the lyric don't fit the song. The song sounds beautiful and romantic, but the lyric is about someone with 200 million pounds being robbed, someone stole his money WTF its not viable

He still loves her, though, riffhards smiling smiley

oh yeah for sure he still loves her, but i want him to love the woman who he wants to meet at the bottom of the stairs, to take him away from the shooting stars like justin barber lol

Date: October 16, 2015 21:26

Date: October 16, 2015 21:32

DandelionPowderman
grinning smiley

failing that i also want him to meet with the woman who is making him suspicious in his dreams lol. if i were patie i would be worried especially as today someone on here said suspicious is about mick lolfl

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 16, 2015 21:42

Since Keith said that "You Dont Move Me Anymore" is about Mick, some people think every song Keith writes is about Mick... Maybe Keith was robbed blind by Mick.

Date: October 16, 2015 21:43

HMS
Since Keith said that "You Dont Move Me Anymore" is about Mick, some people think every song Keith writes is about Mick... Maybe Keith was robbed blind by Mick.

Hehe mick nicked keiths birds wallet

Date: October 16, 2015 22:51

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

I can't pick a winner

Yes.
Riffhards - for me the discrepancy you mention is what makes it a great song instead of just another ballad.

Date: October 16, 2015 23:50

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

I can't pick a winner

Yes.
Riffhards - for me the discrepancy you mention is what makes it a great song instead of just another ballad.

Arr young turner you have a valid point there

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: October 17, 2015 00:11

I wish there was some way to separate the different layers of the songs so you can hear the different instruments more clearly. Its really nice layering on this album!!

Date: October 17, 2015 00:15

tumbled
I wish there was some way to separate the different layers of the songs so you can hear the different instruments more clearly. Its really nice layering on this album!!

Bloody hell that big writing, what's all that about lol

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...199200201202203204205206207208209...LastNext
Current Page: 204 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2362
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home