Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...150151152153154155156157158159160...LastNext
Current Page: 155 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 20, 2015 11:27

Turner68
I think Substantial Damage sounds great not too derivative at all
We must remember "Tell Me"'and "Brown Sugar" et al were also derivative to a point
There is nothing retreaded about this album in my opinion.

A couple of people seem to think spotting familiar melodies and riffs in these tracks is some kind of put-down.
That's not what I mean at all. Music is related to other music. I'm delighted to hear
Demon's offspring dating Randy Whore. I'm glad the IYCRM has reappeared, revved up and serving a completely new cause.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 20, 2015 11:51

Doxa
Okay, now since the thing is finally officially released, let's say a few words about it.

The great thing about the record is that it shows that Keith Richards is finally matured up as an artist. One in content with himself, not needing Mick or the Stones to fulfill his musical visions. CROSSEYED HEART is pure Keith Richards, exercising in the musical waters he is in love with. A man in his autumn years, not having any need to 'prove' anything for anyone, all that is said and done years ago. Now it really is: I just play whatever I want and just for my own fun. The music sounds so relaxed, just like it was done: no deadline, no more endless saturdays night sessions, but just some nice little Sunday afternoon fun with friends. It is the genuine, effortless feel in the album that charms me most. Probably something to do with him playing with the idea of retirement, and dropping the guitar playing for a year or so - it all sounds so fresh; the guy restarting and rethinking his own game.

The album works best when listened as a whole. Individually the songs are not very memorable (I don't think there is any striking song in the album). But the songs support nicely each other, and make together a coherent musical statement of its own. That is: this is kind of rootsie, genuine, authentical (whatever you call it) music Keith Richards loves most (or only), and wants to share with us. A kind of text book of the old musical genres that took before the late-seventies (the last being that of reggae), and before all new music turned out to be 'crap' (if we are to believe Keith Richards' teachings). Uncle Keith now really put into action all those talks he has said along the years. In a way Keith is in the same place as he once started with Brian Jones and Mick Jagger: introduce the 'world' of this wonderful, authentic music one couldn't see much - or at all - at the pop charts of the day. Or if we like: CROSSEYED HEART is 'old man's (using 'poor man' here sounds inappropriate) EXILE ON MAIN STREET' - a new, updated interpretation of Americana.

But probably because Keith Richards is not any longer hungry or needing to make music for living or anything, but just entertaining himself, the music in CROSSEYED HEART has no ambition, or the drive he, with his old pals, once had. It is a kind of lazy man's music, almost muzak - Keith sounds like a kid in the candy shop - taking the genres and characterics he most likes, and without any hesitation or second-thought, shares those sweets with us. We are not EXILE-like developing those into something novel and unique, but like staying there as close to the original sources as possible.

Here comes the dilemma of authenticity: Keith is genuine and does music he loves, but that is doomed to be replica or pastishe-like. The title song - a good introduction to theme and feel of the album - is a charming Robert Johnson-pastishe. But the question arises: for what we actually need this piece, if we already have all those Robert Johnson records? Ironically, decades ago this same man took one of Johnson's own pieces, added there a chord, and come up with an original sound rock classic. And that also added people at the time to know about this wonderful musician (like Keith with his pals helped them to know people like Muddy Waters and Jimmy Reed). But now we all - who might be interested in Keith's album - do know Robert Johnson, and now we recognize "Crosseyed Heart" being a reference to him.

Probably it is that Keith is so deep in his own musical world and has so many decades loved and studied so much these authentic genres that he has lost some of his own originality? (And among that, a helluva lot of his skills as an interesting song-writer).

Probably that is the biggest problem I have with the album. I love each and every of the 'authentic' genres that are presented in the album, but since I am familiar with the originals, Keith's efforts are doomed to be a bit generic. He doesn't really add anything to what I already 'know' (and many time is just a lame copy). I am rather sure that Keith will not charm any 'real' C&W, blues, reggae, etc fans, but probably 'just' Keith Richards - and to an extent Rolling Stones/rock - fans.

So the issue finally is: how much we adore/appreciate/stand Keith's personal sound or ability to interpret? The attraction is "Keith Richards doing blues, country, reggae, etc.' It is his persona, his sound, his voice at stake... how much we all are in love with that/him... I think Keith plays (surpisingly) fine, and sings alright, but that's about it. Probably I am just too tired with his cliche-like pirate persona that the music that comes across, no matter how genuine his feelings are, does not much talking to me. Keith, no matter how much charisma he has, has no as a solo artist a Bob Dylan-like presence. I find the album an easy-listening one (even a bit too much), but not very memorable. It is a bit too obvious, and I think it lacks some depthness and strong, serious song-writing, to really charm one's imagination.

But CROSSEYED HEART is a coherent piece of work, much better than I expected, and adds nicely to Keith's legacy as now this old spokes-man of roots music. Three out of five.

- Doxa

Thanks DOXA i really enjoyed reading that but i have to say you sound at odds with yourself, almost schizophrenic. Are you two people fighting against yourselves
You almost sound guilty for liking it, and then you slap yourself in the face and say to Doxa, 'but its Keef', it cant be that good
I will just say this, its the best piece of work i have listened to by any artist in a very long time
I know what you mean when you say its not what Keith is best at, i mean where is that pounding rhythm guitar hammering through the songs like it does in exile
But just as a complete album from any artist, (not keith) it stands out as a fine body of work, i would think it very harsh to pick holes in anything this good
I'm not being biased, the feed back from the world at large is very positive and when it gets played more and more you will see and hear many stand out tracks
It takes time to fall in love, instant attraction is just physical, this album is not love at first sight, it rarely is with Keith, his music slowly gets under your skin, it bewitches you and in the end you never want to escape
That is Crosseyedheart, the love of a lifetime..

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 20, 2015 12:07

DandelionPowderman
Doxa, some interesting reflections there, but it seems you are leaning on the pr hype rather that the songs? Because there are only a few pure roots songs on this album.

CH is pure blues, LO is pure reggae, RB is pure country, LP is pure soul, GI is pure folk and BITM is pure r&b.

What's important to me is that the rest of the album, those nine original songs, are, well, just songs... They are heartfelt, with lyrics from real experiences, fragile and honest. I belive Keith used the "tip of the hat"-songs to structure the album. They ARE not the album, like you're portraying here.

So, what we're left with then, if you take this from a different perspective, is Keith telling stories, in a singer/songwriter way, really. Much like a deeper continuation of Life.

The hailed Talk Is Cheap may be purer, but CH gives us a more profound and honest picture, imo.

Some of the lyrics are heartwrenching (Just A Gift, Suspicious). Others, like Amnesia, we can just imagine the frustration. Nothing On Me takes us back to 1977 and 1967.

Expecting more than this from Keith Richards (71) is pretty demanding. He could retire tomorrow with a smile on his face after leaving us this statement, imo. Because that's what it is: a musical statement and a very personal one, too.

Well, having six out of 15 to be called "pure", makes him a rather "purist" in my book. And the amount of songs is actually bigger in my book as well.

But I am with you thinking that this not any longer the Human Riff, a Rolling Stone here, but a singer-songwriter by his own terms. I left that term out, but tried to explain it by other means. It is precisely that category as a solo artist I judge him. I rate him up against people like Dylan, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits. With TALK IS CHEAP and MAIN OFFENDER I would have never done that. Like I tried to emphasize he is genuine - a kind of continuation of LIFE (good point!) - but there also lies the weakness/greatness in the album. I simply find Keith Richards rather 'thin' singer/songwriter- that is: his genuine reflections, feelings etc. do not move me very much (but I see that it works for many people here). I don't find his voice particularly expressive to carry the duty. The best thing is the music, his all-over playing, the drive to authenticity, to roots (whatever it is). But even there, most of it some sort of sketching, which in the case of Keith is surely intentional. Simply as a song-writer I hope he had written better songs. In that department I find the album probably a bit too relaxed and lazy.

But with its ups and downs I agree that CROSSEYED HEART is a fine musical statement he - and his fans - should be proud of. I didn't expect that much of maturity, artistic independence and autonomy from him at all. I surely don't expect from him any more (quality-wise). Actually I was stunned how good the album was when I first heard it. But probably because he surprised me so positively, I took his musical statement seriously, and put my genuine feelings and impressions - to be objective actually - there when writing about it.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 12:13 by Doxa.

Date: September 20, 2015 12:15

Excuse me Doxa SO WHY THE 3 out of 5

Your showing yourself up, and making a fool of yourself

You lose all credibility when you say you were stunned how good the album was when you first heard it , you say it surprised you so positively

Take back the 3 out of 5 please

Posted by: redowen66 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 12:41

I cannot quite believe what I'm reading in some of these posts. I had completely given up on Keith; I thought he'd shot his bit creatively. But this album is astonishingly good. The ballads are things of true organic beauty, the rockers rock like bastards. What more do you want? The arrangements make use of every drop of Keiths experience and the lyrics slip down like a good bourbon. Even Keith's singing is as good as we've heard.
I got misty eyed listening to 'Blues in the Morning' - pure joy. And there isn't another white guy on the planet who can pull off a reggae track as convincingly.
I am over the moon that a musical hero I had written off has come back from the dead in such an authentic, moving and stirring manner. Huge respect to keith Richards!

Date: September 20, 2015 12:50

keefriffhards

You lose all credibility when you say you were stunned how good the album was when you first heard it , you say it surprised you so positively

Never mind the numbers... I probably had a bit tougher criterion and context in my mind. Add there an extra one if you like... In the category of Keith Richards solo albums I would give it a four, TALK IS CHEAP five and MAIN OFFENDER one or two.

Well, the album surprised me positively because, firstly, in the long run, I didn't expect anything from him at all, and secondly, in the short run, from the base of "Trouble", I was afraid we are going to get another, boring MAIN OFFENDER 'keeping up appearances' kind of album. I always salute novelty, and ability to reinvent oneself, to come up with something new.

Losing my credibility? From when on I have had any credibility?grinning smiley

Besides, I am not any 'real fan', if that's the issue. Especially in regards to Keith Richards if the criterion is the one I see prevailing much here. I guess I once was, but that was a long time ago...

I just preach here, against all the winds, the holy art of criticism, trying to find some other descriptive means to talk about things I am, seemingly and unfortunately, obsessed with, than just stating 'man, that is wonderful, I love it ' and 'that sucks, I hate it'... It is a bit tough job in the middle of True Believers.... But I'm used to it...winking smiley

- Doxa

Date: September 20, 2015 12:53

redowen66
I cannot quite believe what I'm reading in some of these posts. I had completely given up on Keith; I thought he'd shot his bit creatively. But this album is astonishingly good. The ballads are things of true organic beauty, the rockers rock like bastards. What more do you want? The arrangements make use of every drop of Keiths experience and the lyrics slip down like a good bourbon. Even Keith's singing is as good as we've heard.
I got misty eyed listening to 'Blues in the Morning' - pure joy. And there isn't another white guy on the planet who can pull off a reggae track as convincingly.
I am over the moon that a musical hero I had written off has come back from the dead in such an authentic, moving and stirring manner. Huge respect to keith Richards!

Oh man thanks redowen66 high five's to you
People are buzzed about it, its so exciting, i'm soo pleased for Keith
I think it's his masterpiece

Date: September 20, 2015 12:57

Doxa
keefriffhards

Never mind the numbers... I probably had a bit tougher criterion and context in my mind. Add there an extra one if you like... In the category of Keith Richards solo albums I would give it a four, TALK IS CHEAP five and MAIN OFFENDER one or two.

Well, the album surprised me positively because, firstly, in the long run, I didn't expect anything from him at all, and secondly, in the short run, from the base of "Trouble", I was afraid we are going to get another, boring MAIN OFFENDER 'keeping up appearances' kind of album. I always salute novelty, and ability to reinvent oneself, to come up with something new.

Losing my credibility? From when on I have had any credibility?grinning smiley

Besides, I am not any 'real fan', if that's the issue. Especially in regards to Keith Richards if the criterion is the one I see prevailing much here. I guess I once was, but that was a long time ago...

I just preach here, against all the winds, the holy art of criticism, trying to find some other descriptive means to talk about things I am, seemingly and unfortunately, obsessed with, than just stating 'man, that is wonderful, I love it ' and 'that sucks, I hate it'... It is a bit tough job in the middle of True Believers.... But I'm used to it...winking smiley

- Doxa

Bless your heart Doxa sorry i got a bit excited there, i dont mean it
I have always valued your input and words so felt disappointed with how you reviewed it.
its all good take care smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 12:58 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 20, 2015 13:00

Remember they all canned Exile for months .... Then they paraded through the streets holding it high above their heads.....HHHHaaaaaaaHHHeeeHaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: September 20, 2015 13:06

keefriffhards

Thanks DOXA i really enjoyed reading that but i have to say you sound at odds with yourself, almost schizophrenic. Are you two people fighting against yourselves
You almost sound guilty for liking it, and then you slap yourself in the face and say to Doxa, 'but its Keef', it cant be that good

Man, you really got me! smileys with beer I guess it is always two things fighting in me, a cheerleader fanboy and a tough critic.... And I do feel schizo sometimes!

An addition: the worst are those moments when I theoretically (critically) thinking find something great or having no faults at all, and I supposed to like it, but still I don't.... With Keith Richards I have these feelings sometimes, and that makes me wonder do I appreciate the man anymore at all... Then I put, say, EXILE on to remind me why I respect this man so much....

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 13:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 20, 2015 13:09

Overall, a record that fans and critics alike should be satisfied with. There are some genuinely wonderful moments, the occasional so-so and, thankfully, only one absolute stinker in Goodnight Irene; it's just turgid. To summarise, a very good effort. 3.5 stars.

Date: September 20, 2015 13:44

Doxa
keefriffhards

Man, you really got me! smileys with beer I guess it is always two things fighting in me, a cheerleader fanboy and a tough critic.... And I do feel schizo sometimes!

An addition: the worst are those moments when I theoretically (critically) thinking find something great or having no faults at all, and I supposed to like it, but still I don't.... With Keith Richards I have these feelings sometimes, and that makes me wonder do I appreciate the man anymore at all... Then I put, say, EXILE on to remind me why I respect this man so much....

- Doxa

lol its the same with me the other way around
Keith can do no wrong with me, but i see his mistakes, his fluffed lines and missed notes
All the mistakes and cringy keithisms turn into realness, a sort of purity within imperfection
it just makes him like life itself, full of love and promise but somehow ultimately flawed
Its hard to explain lol
Cheers Doxa smileys with beer

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 20, 2015 13:46

Crosseyed heart is like a box of chocolates with diverse flavours.
a bit of everything, and all Keith.
it's great to listen to it in it's entirety , start to end. thumbs up

Mon plaisir

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 13:55

keefriffhards
Doxa
keefriffhards

- Doxa

lol its the same with me the other way around
Keith can do no wrong with me, but i see his mistakes, his fluffed lines and missed notes
All the mistakes and cringy keithisms turn into realness, a sort of purity within imperfection
it just makes him like life itself, full of love and promise but somehow ultimately flawed
Its hard to explain lol
Cheers Doxa smileys with beer

Very well said and I think that for those of us who are no longer in our teens or 20s or even 30s seeing Keith age has a similar dichotomy - we are amazed at what he can still do and yet frustrated and sad that he does not combine the wisdom of old age with the fresh inspirations, energy, and physical prowess he had when he turned 30. Not to sound too pretentious, but it can be a like a mirror.

Sometimes when I read people complaining about how a 70 year old man doesn't play like he is 28 I wonder if a big part of the energy isn't coming from their own frustration at growing old.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 14:00 by Turner68.

Posted by: Jackda ()
Date: September 20, 2015 13:58

Rockers are perfect and varied (Heartstopper, Trouble, Blues in the Morning)
Pure Soul tune is perfect (Lover's plea)
Duet is perfect (Illusion)
Blues tune is perfect and fun (Crosseyed Heart)
Country tune is excellent (Robbed Blind)
Reggae is perfect (Love Overdue)
Mid Tempo Rockers are excellent (Nothing On Me, Something for Nothing)

Only Just a Gift seems a bit under and should have been replaced with a faster tune ( pure Keith/Jordan version of One More Shot ?)

What else ?

It deserves 4.5/5 stars for me (-0.5 for the balance between ballades and Rockers)

Date: September 20, 2015 14:40

Jackda
Rockers are perfect and varied (Heartstopper, Trouble, Blues in the Morning)
Pure Soul tune is perfect (Lover's plea)
Duet is perfect (Illusion)
Blues tune is perfect and fun (Crosseyed Heart)
Country tune is excellent (Robbed Blind)
Reggae is perfect (Love Overdue)
Mid Tempo Rockers are excellent (Nothing On Me, Something for Nothing)

Only Just a Gift seems a bit under and should have been replaced with a faster tune ( pure Keith/Jordan version of One More Shot ?)

What else ?

It deserves 4.5/5 stars for me (-0.5 for the balance between ballades and Rockers)

Oh thats funny because Just A Gift is my favourite track
Makes some of us cry on here
Straight up
But its cool you like the rest of it thumbs up

I have a feeling One More Shot will turn up somewhere before long
I also think Keith will do some gigs eventually when he see's how well received this album is
How did he keep it under wraps so long
I would of said sod the Stones i'm releasing it now lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 14:48 by keefriffhards.

Date: September 20, 2015 15:09

keefriffhards

I also think Keith will do some gigs eventually when he see's how well received this album is

I really hope he read this winking smiley
But I doubt he would came to France. I was a bit too young to go to Paris alone in 1993.
At least there is still a little hope, few monthes earlier I wouldn't have expected to have any chance see him without the Stones in my life.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 20, 2015 15:31

Turner68
Sometimes when I read people complaining about how a 70 year old man doesn't play like he is 28
I wonder if a big part of the energy isn't coming from their own frustration at ...

That's how it sounds most of the time when people (usually males of a certain age) are tearing and nagging at any of the Stones:
frustration over various disappointments in their own lives. Sometimes it's almost funny how revealing it is.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 20, 2015 15:49

open-g

Mon plaisir

WELL SAID. Best Album anyone has done in many years.
Proves Keith still has it. Love the Entire album.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 20, 2015 15:52

Jackda, NO NO NO
Dont dismiss JUST A GIFT. My wife and I are already booked to see a psychologist over this one. LOL.

Date: September 20, 2015 16:10

Bashlets
Jackda, NO NO NO
Dont dismiss JUST A GIFT. My wife and I are already booked to see a psychologist over this one. LOL.

Sorry guys, I meant no offense to anyone smiling smiley

That's a good thing everybody has its favourite tune in the album. That does just prove it's a masterpiece.
I know Keith's music for 25 years now, and It's totally possible this tune will grow on me with the time. Too many stuff to discover in this album, I have to force myself not to switch repeat on every tunes after each listening...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 20, 2015 16:22

hot stuff
open-g

Mon plaisir

I think Forest Gump said it best. grinning smiley

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 16:55

Marhsall
I bought the BestBuy version today...since my Pre-order from last month has yet to arrive.
On top of that I did the bundle package with pic's only to be informed they are out of those so I have to wait an additional 30 days!

Anyone else dissatisfied with their preorder

Very. I live in the US. Still no vinyl (that I preordered around the time that preordering became available) and guitar picks on backorder. I emailed customer service to ask when the records might show up yesterday morning, but haven't received an answer. I've noticed that people who got the guitar picks, rather than a shirt or hoodie, seem to be the people who haven't received their CDs / records. I really hope they don't plan on waiting to send us the album until next month when they send the picks.

Date: September 20, 2015 17:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 18:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 20, 2015 18:05

Bashlets
Jackda, NO NO NO

I have got my wife to hide the album from me for a week lol
It makes me feel so deep and i feel so high
Its very strange, its like a spell
I don't want to ever become bored of it so i have to ration myself

Date: September 20, 2015 18:08

Jackda
keefriffhards

I really hope he read this
But I doubt winking smiley he would came to France. I was a bit too young to go to Paris alone in 1993.
At least there is still a little hope, few monthes earlier I wouldn't have expected to have any chance see him without the Stones in my life.

Jane reads it !!
Oh well mate, you can by the DVD if he does some gigs

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 20, 2015 18:31

I can't shake Suspicious out of my head...hauntingly beautiful.
While the tune itself might be considered simple* by some, the lyrics are deep as a gorge.
The chick singing/echoing/whispering along with Keith's words 'break up' and 'shake up' is perfection.

*“Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity” - Plato

And simplicity is part of the reason this entire album works so well for me.
No over the top production and no BS.

Looking forward to more individual tunes getting stuck in my head, but the album as a whole has already become somewhat of an obsession.

And while it's no secret I think the album is astonishingly brilliant,
for what it's worth I do have a little input (not a criticism) at this time.

Perhaps Crosseyed Heart could have been a minute longer, and Substantial Damage possibly a minute shorter...or maybe not...

That's all I've got....

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 20, 2015 18:37

Been listening to this nonstop
Best Stones-related album in such a long time.

Date: September 20, 2015 19:23

Hairball
I can't shake Suspicious out of my head...hauntingly beautiful.
While the tune itself might be considered simple* by some, the lyrics are deep as a gorge.
The chick singing/echoing/whispering along with Keith's words 'break up' and 'shake up' is perfection.

*“Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity” - Plato

And simplicity is part of the reason this entire album works so well for me.
No over the top production and no BS.

Looking forward to more individual tunes getting stuck in my head, but the album as a whole has already become somewhat of an obsession.

And while it's no secret I think the album is astonishingly brilliant,
for what it's worth I do have a little input (not a criticism) at this time.

Perhaps Crosseyed Heart could have been a minute longer, and Substantial Damage possibly a minute shorter...or maybe not...

That's all I've got....

Yep suspicious going through my head all day
Incredibly deep moving music
I'm in awe of this album, not felt this way since i was 18 when i heard Gimme Shelter for the first time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 19:46 by keefriffhards.

Date: September 20, 2015 20:04

latebloomer
hot stuff
open-g

Mon plaisir

I think Forest Gump said it best. grinning smiley

wouldn't you just love to be that stupid latebloomer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 20:11 by keefriffhards.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...150151152153154155156157158159160...LastNext
Current Page: 155 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2260
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home