Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...154155156157158159160161162163164...LastNext
Current Page: 159 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 21, 2015 17:53

Doxa
People seem to take very seriously those review ratings... I haven't since the 80's...

But another issue talked here, the length of the album. I am generally with JumpingKentFlash that this is a kind of disease of CD era that 'the quantity over quality' since there is a lot of space for that. But I'm with georgelicks as well that so it goes these days, and we should adjust ourselves to the reality of the things as they are today; this is what CDs are like today, the days of vinyl format and the way to listen the albums, each track having a bigger identity in the whole, is long gone. Now you just pick up the ones you like, and skip the others. If you bother.

But that said, I don't think the length of CROSSEYED HEART is any problem. Yeah, it is a long album, but I don't hear there any song I could call a filler. It flows naturally, the tracks follow each other nicely, each having a 'point' in the whole. I guess if I had the vinyl version, the impression would be even better (I assume it is a double album).

To use the analog I did earlier: not also having such Americana feel of that classic album, CROSSEYED HEART is also 'old man's EXILE' in the sense that the wholeness is build with the same kind of policy, having left nough room for different musical exercises, and which together give the album a certain identity and feel, a musical statement. Without that policy we wouldn't have had "Just Wanna See Your Face" released ever. I think there are pieces like that many in Keith's album (like "Goodnight Irene"), which in some other could might be called a filler, but being now there, as a part of the whole, make sense. (Probably we could also offer one more EXILE-feature: not much absolute highlights or turds, but the quality over-all being a rather standard).

The contrast is huge to the previous Rolling Stones albums, especially A BIGGER BANG; those really are just senseless - and endless - collections of arbitrary songs, of which I wouldn't hesitate to call many fillers.

- Doxa

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 21, 2015 17:59

I'm not sure it's been posted yet, but I just noticed it's NUMBER 1 in the overall music category on Amazon.com and .ca...pretty damn good.

I'll let George comment on how it's doing on billboard.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 18:02

treaclefingers
I'm not sure it's been posted yet, but I just noticed it's NUMBER 1 in the overall music category on Amazon.com and .ca...pretty damn good.

From Bob Lefsetz this morning (and we all know how reliable HE is):

" ... Keith Richards, whose album is sinking like a stone, despite all the fawning press."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 21, 2015 18:05

LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers

" ... Keith Richards, whose album is sinking like a stone, despite all the fawning press."

maybe he meant 'went down like a lead balloon'?!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 18:11

I posted this a couple days ago but since the topic came up again - cross eyed heart is the #5 album on iTunes.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 18:13

treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers

maybe he meant 'went down like a lead balloon'?!

He probably saved that line for the Zeppelin reissues!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2015 18:21

Wild Slivovitz
Great album, much better than expected. It's almost one hour of pure, unadulterated Keith. I think the old-school blues numbers("Crosseyed heart" and "Blues In The Morning" ) are perfect. Some of the rockers are excellent ("Amnesia" ), other nice ("Heartstopper", which I would have liked to listen performed by the Stones), and Others not so good ("Trouble" and "Nothing on Me" ). The ballands are mostly excellent ("Robbed Blind" is awesome). "Suspicious" is one of the best tracks of the album, and is another song that I would have liked to be performed by the Stones. The highlight of the album is "Illusion": great song, great arrangement, fantastic guitar parts and Norah Jones really raises the level here. To me it's already a classic. "Goodnight Irene" is just wonderful, and Keith's guitar part is once more awesome. "Lover's Plea" is just beautiful.

As a final note, the record sounds fantastic: if it's true that the Stones will soon be back in studio, please let Keith be the one in charge of the production!!

Nice review Wild Slivovitz.
As for Keith being in charge of the production on any future Stones release, I've been saying that for years!!!
Based on the sound of his first two solo albums, and perhaps just going on a hunch, this new release has convinced me that would be the best way to go.
Keith doesn't need all the bells and whistles to express himself, and the results speak for themselves.
To paraphrase Doxa, even if the songs on a new Stones release are inferior, at least they would sound right. lol

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 21, 2015 18:35

Fantastic record - Anyone know the details how Keith got Larry Campbell to play on the record.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 21, 2015 18:36

What about the extra track with Lee Scratch Perry,how is it?

Where can you get the cd and/or vinyl with the extra track from?

Thanks in advance

Date: September 21, 2015 18:36

gwen
Hairball
Reading through credits and see Blondie Chaplin on backup vocals on Illusion.
Evidently Keith is still friends with him, so wonder why he no longer sings live backup (and plays guitar under stage lol) with the Stones...
Did he quit? Was it health issues? Was he fired?

This was done years ago...

Not sure I get what you mean...what was done years ago?
Pondering why he's no longer with the Stones?
Or the fact that he's no longer with the Stones?
Obviously I've been aware of the latter, but do you know the reason why he was left out?
I don't recall reading about that....

Date: September 21, 2015 18:40

Hairball
gwen
Hairball
Evidently Keith is still friends with him, so wonder why he no longer sings live backup (and plays guitar under stage lol) with the Stones...

Obviously I've been aware of the latter, but do you know the reason why he was left out?

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 21, 2015 18:50

Ordered from keiths store. have not received it yet. Anyone else has not received it yet ??

jeroen

Date: September 21, 2015 18:59

Turner68
Hairball
gwen
Hairball

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks Turner68 - interesting thread.
Lots of speculation and a variety of different theories - many of them amusing.
Anyways, he certainly hasn't been missed with the Stones the last few years - I almost forgot about him!
Nice to see Keith invited him to be on the new album, no matter how small his contribution may have been.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 21, 2015 18:59

Hairball
gwen
Hairball

Sorry, I meant Blondie overdubbing his parts on Crosseyed Heart.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 21, 2015 19:23

Hairball
Wild Slivovitz
Great album, much better than expected. It's almost one hour of pure, unadulterated Keith. I think the old-school blues numbers("Crosseyed heart" and "Blues In The Morning" ) are perfect. Some of the rockers are excellent ("Amnesia" ), other nice ("Heartstopper", which I would have liked to listen performed by the Stones), and Others not so good ("Trouble" and "Nothing on Me" ). The ballands are mostly excellent ("Robbed Blind" is awesome). "Suspicious" is one of the best tracks of the album, and is another song that I would have liked to be performed by the Stones. The highlight of the album is "Illusion": great song, great arrangement, fantastic guitar parts and Norah Jones really raises the level here. To me it's already a classic. "Goodnight Irene" is just wonderful, and Keith's guitar part is once more awesome. "Lover's Plea" is just beautiful.

As a final note, the record sounds fantastic: if it's true that the Stones will soon be back in studio, please let Keith be the one in charge of the production!!

As for Keith being in charge of the production on any future Stones release, I've been saying that for years!!!
Based on the sound of his first two solo albums, and perhaps just going on a hunch, this new release has convinced me that would be the best way to go.
Keith doesn't need all the bells and whistles to express himself, and the results speak for themselves.
To paraphrase Doxa, even if the songs on a new Stones release are inferior, at least they would sound right. lol

Well Keith has been deeply involved in the production on most Stones records. Check out the Tip of The Tongue documentary and you can see Keith in action telling mixer Ed Cherney just what he wants to hear. I seriously doubt Keith would ever be able to get Mick to sit out and take a lesser production role than him, but perhaps they could both give it up to a third party.

Perhaps Steve Jordan is the missing link here and would be able to help get a similar production sound on the next Stones record. As I've said before they have had some success with drummer/producers in the past. I'm not fond of everything Jordan does, but based on this record, I'd be more than willing to give him a shot producing the Stones.

Date: September 21, 2015 19:32

Naturalust
Hairball
Wild Slivovitz

Well Keith has been deeply involved in the production on most Stones records. Check out the Tip of The Tongue documentary and you can see Keith in action telling mixer Ed Cherney just what he wants to hear. I seriously doubt Keith would ever be able to get Mick to sit out and take a lesser production role than him, but perhaps they could both give it up to a third party.

Perhaps Steve Jordan is the missing link here and would be able to help get a similar production sound on the next Stones record. As I've said before they have had some success with drummer/producers in the past. I'm not fond of everything Jordan does, but based on this record, I'd be more than willing to give him a shot producing the Stones.

Unfortunately that is probably true, and unfortunately the results usually end up sterilized imo...but one can hope and dream.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 21, 2015 19:34

But we all know that there is no way that Jordan would ever be allowed near a Stones project.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 19:49

Three short video from Italian Radio
Sorry if it's already been posted

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-21 19:51 by Stone601.

Date: September 21, 2015 19:50

As I pondered and posted somewhere back in this thread - maybe Mick will listen to and actually like Crosseyed Heart, and just maybe the overall vibe will rub off on him.
Might be expecting a bit much though...

Date: September 21, 2015 19:52

Naturalust
Hairball
Wild Slivovitz

I agree - you have to spread the responsibility equally between Mick and Keith for the quality (or lack) of production on the Stones' albums.
Very impressed with Steve Jordan. It is clear from the movie that he is a very positive influence on Keith.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: September 21, 2015 19:57

Man I simply Love IT! Let it Play through out the house all day and night Saturday. Its like Keef picked up right where he left off and those 23 years in between releases had vanished. Rock On'

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 21, 2015 19:59

Turner68
I posted this a couple days ago but since the topic came up again - cross eyed heart is the #5 album on iTunes.

# 3 album in iTunes top 40 US Rock Albums [www.itunescharts.net]
# 1 album in Amazon's rock charts
[www.amazon.com]
# 1 album in Amazon's general album charts
[www.amazon.com]

Go Keef!! smileys with beer

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 20:01

Illusion is wonderful, Nora has a gorgeous voice.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 21, 2015 20:09

After 3 days (Friday-Sunday) the album is #6 on the UK midweek chart selling around 7,500 copies so far, so the album should end around #6-8 by Thursday with about 10k.
The US numbers should be around the 30-35k mark closing the Top 10 on a big week of new releases, around 8 albums could land on the US Top 10 this week and about 12-13 on the Top 20.

Date: September 21, 2015 20:13

georgelicks
After 3 days (Friday-Sunday) the album is #6 on the UK midweek chart selling around 7,500 copies so far, so the album should end around #6-8 by Thursday with about 10k.
The US numbers should be around the 30-35k mark closing the Top 10 on a big week of new releases, around 8 albums could land on the US Top 10 this week and about 12-13 on the Top 20.

I don't know how you do what you do but thank you.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 21, 2015 20:23

Turner68
JumpingKentFlash
Turner68
JumpingKentFlash

The time it took you to press the quote button, then writing that sentence, then post it..... You'd have been at least 1/3 through it. Just read it if it has any interest.

Ok, I read 1/3 of it. I stopped here.

"I don't know why this is a problem for this album, and the aforementioned Stones albums, but it just is."

Good for you. Now are you done highlighting yourself?

if you figure out why having 15 tracks is a problem, other than that "it just is" i'd love to hear.

Try reading the rest of the review man. You just might find out why 15 tracks is a problem. Also, read this thread. Multiple people are writing about it. The consensus is most likely "Quality over quantity", which you'd have seen had you bothered reading my review.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 21, 2015 20:31

JumpingKentFlash
Turner68
JumpingKentFlash
Turner68
JumpingKentFlash

The time it took you to press the quote button, then writing that sentence, then post it..... You'd have been at least 1/3 through it. Just read it if it has any interest.

"I don't know why this is a problem for this album, and the aforementioned Stones albums, but it just is."

if you figure out why having 15 tracks is a problem, other than that "it just is" i'd love to hear.

Try reading the rest of the review man. You just might find out why 15 tracks is a problem. Also, read this thread. Multiple people are writing about it. The consensus is most likely "Quality over quantity", which you'd have seen had you bothered reading my review.

Not to butt in, but from what I've read the consensus is quantity vs. quality (you can skip, pick and choose, and/or edit if you happen to not like something),
It just happens though that most have given the quantity a high quality grade.
So it's really the best of both worlds for most - high quantity + high quality.
A win-win situation by most standards.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 21, 2015 20:32

mnewman505
Illusion is wonderful, Nora has a gorgeous voice.
+1

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 21, 2015 20:45

Hairball
JumpingKentFlash
Turner68
JumpingKentFlash
Turner68
JumpingKentFlash

Not to butt in, but from what I've read the consensus is quantity vs. quality (you can skip, pick and choose, and/or edit if you happen to not like something),
It just happens though that most have given the quantity a high quality grade.
So it's really the best of both worlds for most - high quantity + high quality.
A win-win situation by most standards.

I meant the consensus between the people that think it's too long. Still a very enjoyable album though.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 21, 2015 20:52

bitusa2012
Doxa

Here comes the dilemma of authenticity: Keith is genuine and does music he loves, but that is doomed to be replica or pastishe-like. The title song - a good introduction to theme and feel of the album - is a charming Robert Johnson-pastishe. But the question arises: for what we actually need this piece, if we already have all those Robert Johnson records? Ironically, decades ago this same man took one of Johnson's own pieces, added there a chord, and come up with an original sound rock classic. And that also added people at the time to know about this wonderful musician (like Keith with his pals helped them to know people like Muddy Waters and Jimmy Reed). But now we all - who might be interested in Keith's album - do know Robert Johnson, and now we recognize "Crosseyed Heart" being a reference to him.

Probably it is that Keith is so deep in his own musical world and has so many decades loved and studied so much these authentic genres that he has lost some of his own originality? (And among that, a helluva lot of his skills as an interesting song-writer).

Probably that is the biggest problem I have with the album. I love each and every of the 'authentic' genres that are presented in the album, but since I am familiar with the originals, Keith's efforts are doomed to be a bit generic.

- Doxa

Nice review, but trying a bit too hard I think. By your own arguements here, no need for The Stones to do Little Queenie or Carol. We already know Chuck's versions. Love in Vain? No, don't do it. Johnson has already done it. Time is on my Side... Nope, done. Wilds Horses? Nope, others have done country. Let's face it... Every genre HAS already been done to death. So, best everyone stop making music, so we can all go back and listen to the originals then.

I think you are putting too many things together here, and most of them have nothing to do with what I talked about in regards Keith's doings here. BUt thank you for your reply - an excuse for me to reflect this thing a bit further...grinning smiley

First thing is to notice that the 'problem' is not about making covers of other people's songs. That's how the Stones started and put their own stamp on their versions (sometimes probably co-incidently, since not able to really sound like an authentic Chicago blues band they tried to be - thankfully). Besides, the early Stones were not really any archive seekers yet - they were 'aping' the sounds that were still rather current - the electric blues they covered was about ten years old genre when they started. It was the hottest thing they, as many other cool people like them in Britain, could find at the moment. But rather quickly something original was born out of this 'wanna-be-blues-men' genre, which changed the face of rock music forever.

It was later, starting with BEGGARS BANQUET, when the band really started paying attention to old dusted music. But at the same time the band had matured so much that their experiments, even covers, with older genres, were married with their own original sound and song-writing. The band was so inspired that is no wonder the four albums they made from 1968 to 1972 are ranked among greatest rock albums of all-time. A good example is the song you mentioned (and I also referred without mentioning its title), "Love In Vain" - they took a rather little-known Robert Johnson piece, enrichened its musical structure by one chord, and created a haunting version of their own, a piece of rock history, like, say, the Cream did with some other Johnson song.

The point is that at those peak years The Stones 'used' different American genres, some old (a'la delta blues), some younger (a'la country rock), for their - and our - benefit, by making original sounding music out of it.

What Keith Richards here now is doing, decades later, is something different. Different times, different context. He is not taking an old authetic genre as an inpiration to do something of its own - to 'develop' it further, to make it current or things that. No, he goes back and tries to be as similar ('authentic') as those genre representatives he loves so much, are. It could be that Keith is so expert in those things nowadays - he probably have spent half-century doing his research and almost lived his life within that music - that he succeeds in being 'authentic' almost too well. And with that has lost some of his own authenticity and originality to actually make the difference. To my ears the results are doomed to sound like a pastishe. At best I think it like a message to us 'listen how good music used to sound like'. But still that sounds a bit pointless - why I just don't go directly to the masters themselves - why to use a 2015 replica or reminder of that? The 'original' music of theirs exists there, and all we represenatives of rock and roll generations are awere of them, and can easily reach them (one could add, people like Keith educated that to us a long time ago).

But I hope I don't sound too critical. What I made above was just one observation - and actually directed to all of these 'back to roots' or 'to the old forms or almost forgotten genres' attempts to go back in time. Dylan is another example. But I think Dylan manages to have that original voice (not just metaphorically) in whatever he does. He alwys seem to have some point, something to say or to add. Unfortunately I can't say that of Keith. Funnily, Dylan always sounds a bit 'outsider' in regards to whatever genres, like him just making some sort of interventions on those areas, wheras Keith is so much 'insider', living and breathing there. (Probably Dylan is a bit more like Jagger in that sense)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-21 21:00 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...154155156157158159160161162163164...LastNext
Current Page: 159 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home