Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...155156157158159160161162163164165...LastNext
Current Page: 160 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: September 21, 2015 20:55

Hairball
Not to butt in, but from what I've read the consensus is quantity vs. quality (you can skip, pick and choose, and/or edit if you happen to not like something),
It just happens though that most have given the quantity a high quality grade.
So it's really the best of both worlds for most - high quantity + high quality.
A win-win situation by most standards.

Yes, this isn't really a situation where the "quality over quantity" argument seems to apply. It's not like Keith went into a studio, cut a bunch of tracks, and then neglected to do any editing of his own work. These are all songs that either formed organically during the long recording process or that Keith has been living with for years.

In other words, it's exactly what the artist wanted to create and I don't think you need to hack it up just to fit a preconceived idea of what an "album" should be. I think that's supported by the fact that no clear consensus has formed on which tracks could be labeled "filler".

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 21, 2015 21:05

GetYerAngie

Nice review, Doxa. I think your discription of the pastiche-originality-dialectic would do for every Dylan-cd since Time Out of Mind too, though. winking smiley

Please, take a look at my reply to bitusa2012 above. (And thanks for that insight!winking smiley)

- Doxa

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: September 21, 2015 21:06

Wild Slivovitz
mnewman505
Illusion is wonderful, Nora has a gorgeous voice.
+1
+1
Beautiful, mellow flow, harmony of the voices & singing.
Playing day 4 today and it's getting better & better. All this little discoverings in all the songs. Some lyrics make me cringe though like Shaking - Breaking rhymes. But then again parts or Suspicious are flooring me. Guess my very personal top album of the year.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 21:06

Doxa I read everything you wrote and it makes sense although I personally like it more and don't find it to be a pastiche.
The one thing I wanted to respond to is whether Keith is adding something "new" to the old classics...
My feeling is that he certainly isn't as much as the great examples you cite
However his crazy sense of rhythm and timing do for me put his own very unique stamp on things - for the rockers, that classic stones sense that it's all about to fall apart (because of how he plays around the beats) but never does and for the ballads the crazy bridges and breaks where things go off in a completely new direction and then amazingly land back just in time for the song to continue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-21 21:07 by Turner68.

Date: September 21, 2015 21:12

Doxa
What Keith Richards here now doing, decades later, is something different. Different times, different context. He is not taking an old authetic genre as an inpiration to do something of its own - to 'develop' it further, to make it current or things that. No, he goes back and tries to be as similar ('authentic') as those genre representatives he loves so much, are.

It's a fair point, but also one that is likely unavoidable. Keith is expressing who he is today through the music he loves. The difference between 2015 and 1971 is that, obviously, Keith is no longer the same person. I get the sense that that's what a lot of fans are having trouble with. They want him to still be this rogue musician creating the soundtrack of their lives.

But Keith is not Dylan and has never even aspired to be a true solo artist. A better standard might be to compare Crosseyed Heart to what Keith's influences were doing at a similar point in their own careers- most of which were either re-recording their past hits or relying on all-star albums to justify a new release.

I think all we can really ask is that Keith be honest with his music and to hold himself to the same standards that he does the Stones. In that respect, Crosseyed Heart succeeds admirably. It's a work that not only contains the kind of vulnerability that made his first unofficial solo album (the Toronto recordings) so legendary, but also manages to equal or even surpass much of the Stones' output over the past three decades.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 21, 2015 21:14

Doxa
bitusa2012
Doxa

Here comes the dilemma of authenticity: Keith is genuine and does music he loves, but that is doomed to be replica or pastishe-like. The title song - a good introduction to theme and feel of the album - is a charming Robert Johnson-pastishe. But the question arises: for what we actually need this piece, if we already have all those Robert Johnson records? Ironically, decades ago this same man took one of Johnson's own pieces, added there a chord, and come up with an original sound rock classic. And that also added people at the time to know about this wonderful musician (like Keith with his pals helped them to know people like Muddy Waters and Jimmy Reed). But now we all - who might be interested in Keith's album - do know Robert Johnson, and now we recognize "Crosseyed Heart" being a reference to him.

Probably it is that Keith is so deep in his own musical world and has so many decades loved and studied so much these authentic genres that he has lost some of his own originality? (And among that, a helluva lot of his skills as an interesting song-writer).

Probably that is the biggest problem I have with the album. I love each and every of the 'authentic' genres that are presented in the album, but since I am familiar with the originals, Keith's efforts are doomed to be a bit generic.

- Doxa

Nice review, but trying a bit too hard I think. By your own arguements here, no need for The Stones to do Little Queenie or Carol. We already know Chuck's versions. Love in Vain? No, don't do it. Johnson has already done it. Time is on my Side... Nope, done. Wilds Horses? Nope, others have done country. Let's face it... Every genre HAS already been done to death. So, best everyone stop making music, so we can all go back and listen to the originals then.

I think you are putting too many things together here, and most of them have nothing to do with what I talked about in regards Keith's doings here. BUt thank you for your reply - an excuse for me to reflect this thing a bit further...grinning smiley

First thing is to notice that the 'problem' is not about making covers of other people's songs. That's how the Stones started and put their own stamp on their versions (sometimes probably co-incidently, since not able to really sound like an authentic Chicago blues band they tried to be - thankfully). Besides, the early Stones were not really any archive seekers yet - they were 'aping' the sounds that were still rather current - the electric blues they covered was about ten years old genre when they started. It was the hottest thing they, as many other cool people like them in Britain, could find at the moment. But rather quickly something original was born out of this 'wanna-be-blues-men' genre, which changed the face of rock music forever.

It was later, starting with BEGGARS BANQUET, when the band really started paying attention to old dusted music. But at the same time the band had matured so much that their experiments, even covers, with older genres, were married with their own original sound and song-writing. The band was so inspired that is no wonder the four albums they made from 1968 to 1972 are ranked among greatest rock albums of all-time. A good example is the song you mentioned (and I also referred without mentioning its title), "Love In Vain" - they took a rather little-known Robert Johnson piece, enrichened its musical structure by one chord, and created a haunting version of their own, a piece of rock history, like, say, the Cream did with some other Johnson song.

The point is that at those peak years The Stones 'used' different American genres, some old (a'la delta blues), some younger (a'la country rock), for their - and our - benefit, by making original sounding music out of it.

What Keith Richards here now is doing, decades later, is something different. Different times, different context. He is not taking an old authetic genre as an inpiration to do something of its own - to 'develop' it further, to make it current or things that. No, he goes back and tries to be as similar ('authentic') as those genre representatives he loves so much, are. It could be that Keith is so expert in those things nowadays - he probably have spent half-century doing his research and almost lived his life within that music - that he succeeds in being 'authentic' almost too well. And with that has lost some of his own authenticity and originality to actually make the difference. To my ears the results are doomed to sound like a pastishe. At best I think it like a message to us 'listen how good music used to sound like'. But still that sounds a bit pointless - why I just don't go directly to the masters themselves - why to use a 2015 replica or reminder of that? The 'original' music of theirs exists there, and all we represenatives of rock and roll generations are awere of them, and can easily reach them (one could add, people like Keith educated that to us a long time ago).

But I hope I don't sound too critical. What I made above was just one observation - and actually directed to all of these 'back to roots' or 'to the old forms or almost forgotten genres' attempts to go back in time. Dylan is another example. But I think Dylan manages to have that original voice (not just metaphorically) in whatever he does. He alwys seem to have some point, something to say or to add. Unfortunately I can't say that of Keith. Funnily, Dylan always sounds a bit 'outsider' in regards to whatever genres, like him just making some sort of interventions on those areas, wheras Keith is so much 'insider', living and breathing there. (Probably Dylan is a bit more like Jagger in that sense)

- Doxa

Doxa, respectfully I really feel you are so full of yourself within the context of your dialogue that it's become an illusion.

Posted by: M4rkRNR ()
Date: September 21, 2015 21:16

corriecas
Ordered from keiths store. have not received it yet. Anyone else has not received it yet ??

jeroen

Got the same problem. Based on your name, are you from Holland? Because i am. Got a email last week that the order was shipped but didnt receive it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 21, 2015 21:31

When watching "Under The Influence", I wondered about a guest role of Tom Waits on Cross eyed Heart. That would have been a great project.

Date: September 21, 2015 21:32

corriecas
Ordered from keiths store. have not received it yet. Anyone else has not received it yet ??

jeroen

I should have mine today jeroen. My guitar picks order is backordered though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-21 21:33 by Maindefender.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 21, 2015 22:06

M4rkRNR
corriecas

jeroen

Got the same problem. Based on your name, are you from Holland? Because i am. Got a email last week that the order was shipped but didnt receive it.

yeah, i am. maybe tomorrow. send them an email already. Lets hope for tomorrow.

jeroen

Posted by: keefriffhards ()

Maindefender
Doxa
bitusa2012
Doxa

Here comes the dilemma of authenticity: Keith is genuine and does music he loves, but that is doomed to be replica or pastishe-like. The title song - a good introduction to theme and feel of the album - is a charming Robert Johnson-pastishe. But the question arises: for what we actually need this piece, if we already have all those Robert Johnson records? Ironically, decades ago this same man took one of Johnson's own pieces, added there a chord, and come up with an original sound rock classic. And that also added people at the time to know about this wonderful musician (like Keith with his pals helped them to know people like Muddy Waters and Jimmy Reed). But now we all - who might be interested in Keith's album - do know Robert Johnson, and now we recognize "Crosseyed Heart" being a reference to him.

Probably it is that Keith is so deep in his own musical world and has so many decades loved and studied so much these authentic genres that he has lost some of his own originality? (And among that, a helluva lot of his skills as an interesting song-writer).

Probably that is the biggest problem I have with the album. I love each and every of the 'authentic' genres that are presented in the album, but since I am familiar with the originals, Keith's efforts are doomed to be a bit generic.

- Doxa

Nice review, but trying a bit too hard I think. By your own arguements here, no need for The Stones to do Little Queenie or Carol. We already know Chuck's versions. Love in Vain? No, don't do it. Johnson has already done it. Time is on my Side... Nope, done. Wilds Horses? Nope, others have done country. Let's face it... Every genre HAS already been done to death. So, best everyone stop making music, so we can all go back and listen to the originals then.

I think you are putting too many things together here, and most of them have nothing to do with what I talked about in regards Keith's doings here. BUt thank you for your reply - an excuse for me to reflect this thing a bit further...grinning smiley

First thing is to notice that the 'problem' is not about making covers of other people's songs. That's how the Stones started and put their own stamp on their versions (sometimes probably co-incidently, since not able to really sound like an authentic Chicago blues band they tried to be - thankfully). Besides, the early Stones were not really any archive seekers yet - they were 'aping' the sounds that were still rather current - the electric blues they covered was about ten years old genre when they started. It was the hottest thing they, as many other cool people like them in Britain, could find at the moment. But rather quickly something original was born out of this 'wanna-be-blues-men' genre, which changed the face of rock music forever.

It was later, starting with BEGGARS BANQUET, when the band really started paying attention to old dusted music. But at the same time the band had matured so much that their experiments, even covers, with older genres, were married with their own original sound and song-writing. The band was so inspired that is no wonder the four albums they made from 1968 to 1972 are ranked among greatest rock albums of all-time. A good example is the song you mentioned (and I also referred without mentioning its title), "Love In Vain" - they took a rather little-known Robert Johnson piece, enrichened its musical structure by one chord, and created a haunting version of their own, a piece of rock history, like, say, the Cream did with some other Johnson song.

The point is that at those peak years The Stones 'used' different American genres, some old (a'la delta blues), some younger (a'la country rock), for their - and our - benefit, by making original sounding music out of it.

What Keith Richards here now is doing, decades later, is something different. Different times, different context. He is not taking an old authetic genre as an inpiration to do something of its own - to 'develop' it further, to make it current or things that. No, he goes back and tries to be as similar ('authentic') as those genre representatives he loves so much, are. It could be that Keith is so expert in those things nowadays - he probably have spent half-century doing his research and almost lived his life within that music - that he succeeds in being 'authentic' almost too well. And with that has lost some of his own authenticity and originality to actually make the difference. To my ears the results are doomed to sound like a pastishe. At best I think it like a message to us 'listen how good music used to sound like'. But still that sounds a bit pointless - why I just don't go directly to the masters themselves - why to use a 2015 replica or reminder of that? The 'original' music of theirs exists there, and all we represenatives of rock and roll generations are awere of them, and can easily reach them (one could add, people like Keith educated that to us a long time ago).

But I hope I don't sound too critical. What I made above was just one observation - and actually directed to all of these 'back to roots' or 'to the old forms or almost forgotten genres' attempts to go back in time. Dylan is another example. But I think Dylan manages to have that original voice (not just metaphorically) in whatever he does. He alwys seem to have some point, something to say or to add. Unfortunately I can't say that of Keith. Funnily, Dylan always sounds a bit 'outsider' in regards to whatever genres, like him just making some sort of interventions on those areas, wheras Keith is so much 'insider', living and breathing there. (Probably Dylan is a bit more like Jagger in that sense)

- Doxa

Doxa, respectfully I really feel you are so full of yourself within the context of your dialogue that it's become an illusion.

To be honest Dylan's music is complete bollocks compared to Crosseyed Heart

You would have to take the the last three Dylan albums and put them all together to come even close to Keith's album as far as genius or quality goes
I'm a big Dylan fan and the best he has come up with in the last 2 decades is Its Not Dark Yet. About Ten of Keith's tracks exceed that level of brilliance
I agree with you Doxa about Keiths album having no fillers and it does flow nicely
Since Tattoo You the Stones have had 3 or 4 fillers on each album that i just skip through
Over to Naturalust, if you think for one single second that Mick Jagger would have Steve Jordan produce the next Stones album you have gone one flew over the cuckoo's nest lol

Posted by: runrudolph ()

Maindefender
corriecas

jeroen

Well, i will be happy when i get it tomorrow.
jeroen

Date: September 21, 2015 22:27

corriecas
Maindefender
corriecas

jeroen

Well, i will be happy when i get it tomorrow.
jeroen

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 21, 2015 22:38

Doxa

That's right. Time, space and causality. Still, we are talking about popular music. Even if you have heroes or idols you must add something to the soup to make it interesting. Otherwise it's a museum piece. If even that. Crosseyed Cat has recieved bland reviews here in Sweden. Which, I recon, is a quite fair statement.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 21, 2015 22:41

At last, it's arrived after a re-order from Amazon, and a refund.

It's a great album, and bears repeated listens.

Date: September 21, 2015 22:53

Stoneage
Doxa

That's right. Time, space and causality. Still, we are talking about popular music. Even if you have heroes or idols you must add something to the soup to make it interesting. Otherwise it's a museum piece. If even that. Crosseyed Cat has recieved bland reviews here in Sweden. Which, I recon, is a quite fair statement.

Beat's dog shit in the doorway though winking smiley

I got a challenging question for you and Doxa
What living musician on this earth right now is more organic or authentic than Keith Richards. Only include people that still release albums or CD's in the present or last 5 years
Keith wrote the book man, he is MR rock & roll
They Don't come more great, a legend cant be, and never will be more authenticated than MR RICHARDS
He has lived and breathed and exhaled its tradition and re-invented it into what we call Rock today

KR . 'Just A Gift'. From Crosseyed Heart
Date: September 21, 2015 02:31

Just A Gift
It sounds very personal
The shooting stars line could be about the wannabe pop stars that hang around the bars where Keith drinks at Parrot Cay Island. He's saying they bore him
I wonder who it is that he is missing and wants to see again
Love this Track

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-21 22:39 by keefriffhards.

Re: track talk . 'Just A Gift'. From Crosseyed Heart
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:33

Yeah one hell of a track .... At that Shooting star line is a favourite...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 21, 2015 02:40

Feels like a Ripple from American Beauty. Very heartwarming

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:43

Yeah..it's great but this thread will suddenly self-destruct and be mysteriously moved to....

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:56

you'r not rene

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:57

don't tread on rene dude

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 21, 2015 03:00

Great tune. Very emotional and Dylan like. I've already told the folks here that this song will have both my wife and I in therapy.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 21, 2015 04:08

Let rene do these topics

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: September 21, 2015 06:06

I think the song is partly truth, partly fiction. I know that every time there's a meteor shower his platonic friend sends him a fax to watch it, but the bars line is probably in there to rhyme with the stars, and then stars becomes a pun for celebrities he runs into in bars...

Date: September 21, 2015 06:31

keefriffhards
The shooting stars line could be about the wannabe pop stars that hang around the bars where Keith drinks at Parrot Cay Island. He's saying they bore him.

It's clearly about Justin Bieber. LOL

This one reminds me of a track that could've been on Voodoo Lounge...something about how organic it feels and how it builds at the end with Larry Campbell's violin.

Keith's "that's all ri-ight ba-ae" also evokes How Can I Stop and I like the little "Whew" at the beginning...almost like an old bluesman beginning a song with "Oh Lord..."

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 07:14

for me, robbed blind is the best ballad on here, but i think this track is nice. thanks to your posts i will check out the lyrics more closely.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 21, 2015 08:09

I Like it! Great song.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 21, 2015 09:22

More Hot Rocks
you'r not rene

Dear Track Talk police: Even Rene isn't Rene any more, if you've been paying attention [www.iorr.org] , and he doesn't do solo tracks anyway, so this isn't likely to get confused with one of his (especially as it will get merged as soon as bv wakes up).

Yes, a lovely track - clearly has some personal inspiration like a lot of Crosseyed Heart,and guessing is half the fun. Keith isn't ever going to tell us, after all.

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 09:56

Nice song, sounds to me like sitting somewhere and singing
about whats on his mind right now...
he's not really a brilliant singer, at least not in the conventional
way, but I love his unique style, very personal and emotional...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...155156157158159160161162163164165...LastNext
Current Page: 160 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home