Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...152153154155156157158159160161162...LastNext
Current Page: 157 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:04

It sort of reminds me of Julian Schnabel's album, although that's admittedly unfair.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:07

72hotrocks
THe lyrics throughout this record are pretty bad. Such tired 'moon,June,spoon' rhymes and 'She's so (good,bad,nice,nasty take your pick).

Every time I hear Keith sing "Knockin' on my head" in "Amnesia" I expect to hear "Nobody's home."

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:11

Turner68
indeed one of the biggest criticisms of this album is that one more shot wasn't included lol.

Good point. LOL

I don't believe there's any one "right" way to make an album. Some albums are better suited to choosing only the strongest tracks, while others benefit from including everything recorded at the sessions.

I've already tried my hand at reducing Crosseyed Heart to a 10 or 11 song playlist and it just doesn't feel as satisfying. It's one of those albums where the sum ends up being greater than its parts. It's true you wouldn't need to include so many ballads on a Stones album, but it works for Crosseyed Heart because that's Keith.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:11

Title5Take1
It sort of reminds me of Julian Schnabel's album, although that's admittedly unfair.

I only know Julian Schnabel as a visual artist - had no idea he made music, but just found this brutal review on Amazon:

Schnabel

Julian Schnabel is the successor to Andy Warhol as a Manhattan painter turned celebrity, and he has used that media clout to secure a recording contract even though he has no discernible talent for making music. He could be described as a cross between Michael Bolton and Leonard Cohen, but unfortunately he writes songs like Bolton and sings like Cohen instead of the other way around. The combination of his treacly sentiment, pretentious poesy, tuneless croaking, and minimalist melodies is comic for a short time but soon turns annoying. Typical of the album is "I Tried," which finds a self-pitying Schnabel nasally whining over folk-rock guitars: "I know I drive you crazy with all the love that I have, but if you remember, there was some good times." Schnabel's debut recording actually boasts terrific backing tracks, thanks to the all-star band assembled by his co-producer and bassist Bill Laswell. Funkadelic keyboardist Bernie Worrell, Golden Palomino drummer Anton Fier, and jazz arranger Henry Threadgill create a glittering frame for Schnabel's musical canvas, but the songs themselves belong in the bottom of a bird cage. --Geoffrey Himes

Good lord remind me to never listen to this album!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:12

Title5Take1

you mean it reminds you of art ??
thats nice if it does

Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:40

CROSSEYED HEART-some nice acoustic Robert Johnson,for almost 2 minutes before Keith says 'That's all I've got' Perhaps a foreshadowing of things to come.
HEARTSTOPPER and
AMNESIA: the main bodies of these 2 are so similar to my ears with AMNESIA being more brittle and harsh in the breaks with probably better lyrics.I like HEARTSTOPPER better though
TROUBLE:Just what it is.Paint by numbers.
LOVE OVERDUE:Keith loves Reggae,but seldom does it as well as Jamaicans.This is a nice enough cover.
NOTHING ON ME;great sounding guitars playing pretty filler.
SUSPICIOUS:boring filler.
BLUES IN THE MORNING:uninspired,rote,"dirty blues" Dylans' band has been doing this thing better for the last 5 albums.
SOMETHING FOR NOTHING:how great players can make something from nothing.Great guitars,nothing of substance,and the organ at the end saves the day.Probably my favorive tune on the record.
ILLUSION: Make no MIstake dedux.Nice enough but i prefer MNM.Noras sweet voice is a nice break after all the gravel.
JUST A GIFT:nap time.
GOODNIGHT IRENE:goodbye patience.
SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE:Yeah Keith,I like Tom Waits too.You are Keith Richards though.What are you doing?
LOVERS PLEA:dreck.unlistenable dreck.

Your mileage may vary as,like,these are just my opinions,man.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:49

72hotrocks
CROSSEYED HEART-some nice acoustic Robert Johnson,for almost 2 minutes before Keith says 'That's all I've got' Perhaps a foreshadowing of things to come.
HEARTSTOPPER and
AMNESIA: the main bodies of these 2 are so similar to my ears with AMNESIA being more brittle and harsh in the breaks with probably better lyrics.I like HEARTSTOPPER better though
TROUBLE:Just what it is.Paint by numbers.
LOVE OVERDUE:Keith loves Reggae,but seldom does it as well as Jamaicans.This is a nice enough cover.
NOTHING ON ME;great sounding guitars playing pretty filler.
SUSPICIOUS:boring filler.
BLUES IN THE MORNING:uninspired,rote,"dirty blues" Dylans' band has been doing this thing better for the last 5 albums.
SOMETHING FOR NOTHING:how great players can make something from nothing.Great guitars,nothing of substance,and the organ at the end saves the day.Probably my favorive tune on the record.
ILLUSION: Make no MIstake dedux.Nice enough but i prefer MNM.Noras sweet voice is a nice break after all the gravel.
JUST A GIFT:nap time.
GOODNIGHT IRENE:goodbye patience.
SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE:Yeah Keith,I like Tom Waits too.You are Keith Richards though.What are you doing?
LOVERS PLEA:dreck.unlistenable dreck.

Your mileage may vary as,like,these are just my opinions,man.

Oh well mate maybe they will grow on you
Im sorry you don't like it

Date: September 21, 2015 01:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 18:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:04

Lover's Plea ... Wonderful homage to the Stax sound ... Mr Redding and a lot of others would be grinning

ROCKMAN

Date: September 21, 2015 02:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 18:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 21, 2015 02:21

DandelionPowderman
Rockman
Lover's Plea ... Wonderful homage to the Stax sound ... Mr Redding and a lot of others would be grinning

thumbs up

Yep sweet stuff. thumbs up

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:22

most the fans are not keen on jagger as solo but his wandering sprit cd sold well over 2 million brilliant cd more than some of the stones cds and superheavy cd has got lot good tracks most of the stones fans do not give jagger time to listen to his music and KEITH is great with his music but he is always putting jagger down like he has lost his lolipop,he still behaves like a guy who is 21 and thinks everything he does is right and jagger is wrong. JAGGER was there when he was on drugs and was caught in canada and all the stones pulled together to play concert to bail him out,keith is jealous cause jagger like doing other projects too,outside of the stones,keith new cd is good. In most of the interviews he puts jagger down,jagger is grown up and keeps his thoughts to himself,no point barking at a dog,nice to talk with music rather than words,sorry guys i am big fan of jagger so i am sure i will get lot flack just like jagger does.
ITS ONLY ROCK-ROLL BUT WE LIKE IT

Date: September 21, 2015 02:23

I forgot to mention how much I cringe at the end of BLUES IN THE MORNING when Keith sings "i don't care,cause I'm a Millionaire" because,yes.Obviously.

LOVE it on SOMETHING FROM NOTHING the nod to Warren Zevon.

I listened again to LOVERS PLEA and my description might have been rash.There are indeed some lovely sounds on that track,and the arrangement is quite nice.I just feel like it would be better if ALL of the vocals were wiped.the male chorus makes me cringe.

Going to move my rating from a 2 to a 2.5 star out 5.After a few more spins it might climb if you're keeping track at home.

Date: September 21, 2015 02:24

Live with it for a month and get back to us 72 ..... hhhhaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: September 21, 2015 02:30

awwww yeah and buy the way it billionaire ... lets get these figures right.....HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:39

I played the cd this morning at home. Every song had me grooving to the music, even suspicious and just a gift. This is a dance record and yes a rock album. Goodnight Irene sounds like the outro song to the Bands The Last Waltz. Still wonderful. >grinning smiley<

Date: September 21, 2015 02:47

Reading through credits and see Blondie Chaplin on backup vocals on Illusion.
Evidently Keith is still friends with him, so wonder why he no longer sings live backup (and plays guitar under stage lol) with the Stones...
Did he quit? Was it health issues? Was he fired?

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:54

Lovers plea
Suspicious
Just a gift
Should of been left of the album!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2015 03:18

howlingmad
Turner68
indeed one of the biggest criticisms of this album is that one more shot wasn't included lol.

Good point. LOL

I don't believe there's any one "right" way to make an album. Some albums are better suited to choosing only the strongest tracks, while others benefit from including everything recorded at the sessions.

I've already tried my hand at reducing Crosseyed Heart to a 10 or 11 song playlist and it just doesn't feel as satisfying. It's one of those albums where the sum ends up being greater than its parts. It's true you wouldn't need to include so many ballads on a Stones album, but it works for Crosseyed Heart because that's Keith.

I don't notice One More Shot not being on it and no one should give a shit. It's an excellent album.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 21, 2015 03:18

Rockman

They would indeed. Otis was the first thing that came to mind with this track and I love it for that.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2015 03:19

Anyone that doesn't like this album is ORDERED to listen to nothing but DIRTY WORK for 31 days in a row anytime there is time to breathe.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 21, 2015 03:23

ohmercy61
Lovers plea
Suspicious
Just a gift

Hmmmm, let me guess....grinning smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 21, 2015 03:24

ohmercy61
Lovers plea
Suspicious
Just a gift

Why?
The Stones (or Keith in this case) are not releasing albums every 2 or 3 years as 25 years ago, they are taking 11 FREAKING YEARS (OR 20+ ON KEITH'S CASE) so the album should be long, then you can delete the songs for yourself.
A Bigger Bang had 16-18 songs, too long, too much filler, but you can't find 2 people with the same 10-11 song tracklist, for some people Streets Of Love is terrible, for others the highlight of the whole album, I love Driving Too Fast, for some other people is a bad song, on today's digital era you can make the album for yourself, no one cares about full albums anymore so I can't see the problem with long albums.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 21, 2015 03:37

Hahahaha no problem with long cds just programe what tracks you want to play,i would rather have more than less,some fans will go out to buy BOOTLEG with rubbish sound,SOME HAVE FANS ARE NEVER HAPPY WHATEVER THE STONES DO.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 21, 2015 06:34

Turner68
JumpingKentFlash

The time it took you to press the quote button, then writing that sentence, then post it..... You'd have been at least 1/3 through it. Just read it if it has any interest.

Ok, I read 1/3 of it. I stopped here.

"I don't know why this is a problem for this album, and the aforementioned Stones albums, but it just is."

Good for you. Now are you done highlighting yourself?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 06:50

JumpingKentFlash
Turner68
JumpingKentFlash

The time it took you to press the quote button, then writing that sentence, then post it..... You'd have been at least 1/3 through it. Just read it if it has any interest.

Ok, I read 1/3 of it. I stopped here.

"I don't know why this is a problem for this album, and the aforementioned Stones albums, but it just is."

Good for you. Now are you done highlighting yourself?

if you figure out why having 15 tracks is a problem, other than that "it just is" i'd love to hear.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 21, 2015 08:08

GasLightStreet
Anyone that doesn't like this album is ORDERED to listen to nothing but DIRTY WORK for 31 days in a row anytime there is time to breathe.[/quote

...or A Bigger Bang, in particolar Sweet Neo Con and Look what the cat dragged in.

Date: September 21, 2015 08:20

RollingStone magazine gives it 3.5 out of 5 so,by that metric,I am comfortable with my rating of 2.5

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 21, 2015 09:19

72hotrocks
RollingStone magazine gives it 3.5 out of 5 so,by that metric,I am comfortable with my rating of 2.5
By all accounts you can't take rolling stone reviews seriously anymore van you?
Just think of their show male best records of all time list...

Date: September 21, 2015 09:55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 18:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...152153154155156157158159160161162...LastNext
Current Page: 157 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home