Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 31
Re: Hyde Park show #1 July 6 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:03

beepee2
Keith almost spent most of the show on Ronnie's side, i think he knew his side was VIP/T1&2.

No he didn't (spend the show on Ronnie's side), WTF?? I even thought how comparatively rarely he went over there.

Jeez. Can we NOT do the "Tier 3 are better than those snobs in Tier 1" thing? The band didn't do that, we don't have to either. Why is it impossible to enjoy a show without insulting someone else?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:06

jazzbass
keefriff99
Keith completely botched the intro to Start Me Up...I mean, just MURDERED it.

What an atrocity.

You know, the fanboys keep saying how well they're playing, and when the tour first started last year, I agreed and was completely thrilled.

But lately, the excitement has worn off and I just don't hear it. At all.

Ronnie is doing pretty well, but Keith is still struggling. Not as badly as ABB, thank god, but it's still pretty dire at times. The basic timing is just off on a lot of songs, even the standards...it's really hard to listen to.

I just don't get this. Not sure how it can possibly happen? He did the same thing at a Philly show in '97 I attended playing Brown Sugar. I love Keith, but seriously, he could screw up any other note during the show, as long as he nails

the big intro. Can't wait to see how they fix this if there is a DVD.

Here's what I've noticed with KR: Nowadays, he plays along to the song instead of playing the song. In other words, he comes off okay at times with his tendency to add rhythmic accents with a chord here, a strum there, but he can't seem to hold a pattern down from the start to finish of a song. Which is why Chuck needs to hold the rhythm chords down so often. With these little accents, mini-riffs, and fills it's a little harder to figure what he meant to play in the first place. When called upon to play a readily identifiable series of notes and chords (like the intros to SMU, BS, GS, IORR etc ) he often comes up lacking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 17:07 by andrewt.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:06

Hi Silver Dagger
I was the DJ at the Scala when the Groovies played on Tuesday, plus I interviewed them for a feature you can find at onlyrockanroll.wordpress.com where you can also find a list of the records I played (hope you appreciated the inclusion of 2000 Light Years From Home!)

Date: July 7, 2013 17:15

gotdablouse
Great pics Paul and since we were neighbours they are even more special !

Amazing pics, both of you! (I must have been pretty much next to you, my
pics look similar but blurred. :p )

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:16

andy js
it's little things like the @#$%& up on the SMU intro that make me still love Keef

he did the same thing on Brown Sugar at Hocekenheim in 2003. Who gives a shit ?

They sounded better than the last time they played Hyde Park so all's well with the world

But the first gig back then was far more interesting and better than this one.

Posted by: ProjectDirector ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:16

Big up to all the posters on here for the updates....been following for a while ....now on....

Hope u enjoy our family air loom...

PD.

Never be Mis-led.

Posted by: stoney66 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:19

Ok,Hyde Park is done on the History Tour! Next must be Altamont! smiling smiley

Date: July 7, 2013 17:24

Thrylan
andrewt
kleermaker
andrewt

Of course, right now, it's just a list...I'll have to wait for the video to show up to see and hear what's what but the photos of Mick & Keith beaming at each other bode well.

Undoubtedly best show ever.

Legendary. I can hear Chuck's keys on SFTD now. Best Chuck yet.

The only thing more ridiculous than judging a show merely by looking at the set list, is judging how much of a fan someone is by by the amount of critical thinking, or lack thereof, there is in their comments.....

Best fan ever......legendary.

Upon listening to the clips I sense that Keith was befuddled.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:30

Aquamarine
beepee2
Keith almost spent most of the show on Ronnie's side, i think he knew his side was VIP/T1&2.

No he didn't (spend the show on Ronnie's side), WTF?? I even thought how comparatively rarely he went over there.

Jeez. Can we NOT do the "Tier 3 are better than those snobs in Tier 1" thing? The band didn't do that, we don't have to either. Why is it impossible to enjoy a show without insulting someone else?

If you see an insult in my post, i assume English is not your native language.

Date: July 7, 2013 17:38

beepee2
Aquamarine
beepee2

If you see an insult in my post, i assume English is not your native language.

If you don't get the explanation of the implication in MY post, I'll assume likewise about your native language.

But what the heck. Great show! smiling smiley Btw the VIPs were in a different area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 17:41 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: Jaggeresque ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:48

desertblues68
Really enjoyed the concert the atmosphere was electric and a great performance is made not only by.the artist but also by.the response of the audience. I know there were a few mistakes and the setlist was crowd pleasing albeit with a dusting of rarities. I believe in freedom of expression, but what I don't get is how some fans who can obviously play the guitar professionally or otherwise dissect Keef's playing to infinitty and beyond. We all know that Keef is no longer at the height of his powers but he is performing better than during the ABB tour. He has contributed to that ramshackle rawness that is part of the Stones greatness He is one of the greatest guitarists ever. All the greatest artists in whatever field are technically imperfect but show raw emotion and vulnerability.

Absolutely agree with you. The geekiness in me loves to dissect guitar mistakes in this post-mortem of a fantastic gig to the extent that I had to pick up my Telecaster like some kind of accident investigator! But that's part of why I love this band, especially KR. Because, it's our mistakes that make us human and I love KR even more for the fact that he has never been afraid or ashamed of his foibles. He seems quite vulnerable at the moment and I love him even more for that. There was a telling moment last night when a fan threw a coat or something at Keith when he was on the catwalk. Keith picked it up and gave a look which said 'thanks but what am I gonna do with this', at which point Jagger like an elderly brother and protector grabbed the said garment and tossed it back into the audience.

Gorgeous gig and can't wait for next Sat.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:52

jazzbass
keefriff99
What an atrocity.
Don't fret it. shit happens

You know, the fanboys keep saying how well they're playing, and when the tour first started last year, I agreed and was completely thrilled.

Ronnie is doing pretty well, but Keith is still struggling. Not as badly as ABB, thank god, but it's still pretty dire at times. The basic timing is just off on a lot of songs, even the standards...it's really hard to listen to.

I just don't get this. Not sure how it can possibly happen? Don't fret it. shit happens. it did remind me of StSanders shred videos....but like I said.
He did the same thing at a Philly show in '97 I attended playing Brown Sugar. I love Keith, but seriously, he could screw up any other note during the show, as long as he nails

This is an easy fix. signature sound of Micawber and tweed Twin...you won't even notice it. I'd be more worried about the lenght of parts on other songs like Bitch for instance

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:55

Aquamarine
beepee2

Fully agreed on your last point (same "frame of mind" as when someone rejoiced they had dropped ER when we got that stellar setlist at LA/2, what can you do...). About Keith, correct I was just thinking to myself that if I go with T3 next Saturday I won't see as much of Keith (assuming I can make it as a close which is very unlikely!).

Sorry I missed you Aquamarine, it's not easy to spot the IORR people, I did recognize Grison from one of the pictures he'd posted in November though. We need an IORR badge!

@desertblues68 - yeah there definitely was some electricity in the air like at all Stones' show I've been to, it's part of the thrill. Mick did look pretty relaxed though (as much as a control freak can be relaxed!). Agreed on their "uniqueness"! They make it look easy but frankly who else can put up that kind of show? What a contrast with the opening bands who just seemed happy to recreate their studio recordings, like most bands really.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 18:32 by gotdablouse.

Date: July 7, 2013 17:58

^^ Two great posts.

Missed a page here (getting over-excited by tennis), the other one I was referring to was desertblues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 18:05 by Aquamarine.

Date: July 7, 2013 18:00

Keith's opening foible reminds me of the 2002 Toronto show where Keith charged out to open the show with SFM then promptly fell on his ass.

(The camera pans to Mick as he takes the dive but after you can see Daryll helping him get back up).

All in all a classic entrance..

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 7, 2013 18:14

Hello,

Yesterday was all about the social side of things, for me: I passed on the O2 shows late last year and really missed the Pilot Inn pre-show meets...for me, they are at least half of the fun!

The Monkey Puzzle and the St. Giles later on had a ton of IORRians (although other fan-sites are available, ahem...) in attendance at different times and I thoroughly enjoyed shaking a few hands and talking complete rubbish to these good folk. Whether or not they enjoyed it is a different matter altogether, hah-hah!

Although I am a tad fragile today (must have had a bad bottle of cider...) so please forgive me if I leave anyone out: great to see Adrian-L. (cheers for sorting the ticket), Angelique and her Mum, Irish Johnnie, Jo, MOWAT & BQ, Natalia, MonkeyTonkMan, Green Lady, NickB, Teleblaster, StrayCat UK, Rob, some bloke who was a bit mental but who claimed to have been at the original H.P. show, Odean73 and some other bloke called Gazza. I know there were other victims but names escape me...

I settled for not trying to get anywhere remotely close to the stage and purely enjoy the show in my own little space: as Odean73 may well confirm, I did play some extraordinarily fine air guitar and we sang our knackers off. Other people can critique the show way better than I but all I'll say is that I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you were there then I hope that you did too!

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 20:20 by SimonN.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 7, 2013 18:21

FUN, is a good thing to have!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 16:59 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 7, 2013 18:25

Some nice pictures Simon.............especially the one with the fans............

Date: July 7, 2013 18:29

yes, a couple of amazing crowd pics there. smiling smiley

Date: July 7, 2013 18:31

Hi Max & Nicos,

You're right about the fun part, hah-hah!
I cannot remember ever being so far away from a stage: in the event it really didn't affect my enjoyment at all...funny how things work out sometimes.

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: July 7, 2013 18:33

Nice Photos SimonN. and a great picture of you 'n my good friend Rog

I can corroborate that he was indeed at Hyde Park in 69

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 7, 2013 18:35

SimonN

Simon.
Simon.[/quote]

What is Let it Be as referenced in this advert? Please tell me the film is getting a proper release?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 7, 2013 18:39

Keith playing in daylight???? What can you expect...

Date: July 7, 2013 18:41

Monkeytonkman
Nice Photos SimonN. and a great picture of you 'n my good friend Rog
I can corroborate that he was indeed at Hyde Park in 69

Hi Gaz,

Great to meet you (albeit briefly): yer pal Rog was top entertainment and it was truly something to see the three generations of beards, hah-hah! Good work!

Hi Jazzbass,

[www.letitbelondon.com]

That should fill in the blanks!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 7, 2013 18:42

jazzbass

What is Let it Be as referenced in this advert? Please tell me the film is getting a proper release?

Sadly not. It's a stage show by the looks of the advert.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 7, 2013 18:45

Thanks to gotdablouse for his Photo-Stream smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 20:45 by Irix.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: July 7, 2013 18:46

3 generations of beards!

Beautiful

\m/

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 7, 2013 18:48

Lmao.
Gazza & colourful gang doin the silly walks!

great pics Simon.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 7, 2013 19:29

desertblues68
Really enjoyed the concert the atmosphere was electric and a great performance is made not only by.the artist but also by.the response of the audience. I know there were a few mistakes and the setlist was crowd pleasing albeit with a dusting of rarities. I believe in freedom of expression, but what I don't get is how some fans who can obviously play the guitar professionally or otherwise dissect Keef's playing to infinitty and beyond. We all know that Keef is no longer at the height of his powers but he is performing better than during the ABB tour. He has contributed to that ramshackle rawness that is part of the Stones greatness He is one of the greatest guitarists ever. All the greatest artists in whatever field are technically imperfect but show raw emotion and vulnerability.

I think he is not necessarily one the greatest guitar players but he certainly is one of the greatest creative guitar artists. In 81/82 tours he was still tapping rhythm all the time with his foot and playing great solos and great rhythm with an awesome drive (maybe in coke but still) but I really don't expect him to do that anymore. In 81/82 tours he was the backbone of the guitar section, Ronnie was the unstable and unreliable one, in that respect the tables have turned completely.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 7, 2013 19:34

andrewt
jazzbass
keefriff99

What an atrocity.

I just don't get this. Not sure how it can possibly happen? He did the same thing at a Philly show in '97 I attended playing Brown Sugar. I love Keith, but seriously, he could screw up any other note during the show, as long as he nails

Here's what I've noticed with KR: Nowadays, he plays along to the song instead of playing the song. In other words, he comes off okay at times with his tendency to add rhythmic accents with a chord here, a strum there, but he can't seem to hold a pattern down from the start to finish of a song. Which is why Chuck needs to hold the rhythm chords down so often. With these little accents, mini-riffs, and fills it's a little harder to figure what he meant to play in the first place. When called upon to play a readily identifiable series of notes and chords (like the intros to SMU, BS, GS, IORR etc ) he often comes up lacking.

100% agree.

Hey, you are obviously reading my mind!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1344
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home