Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 31
Re: Hyde Park show #1 July 6 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:19

Does anyone know if there is and where it is located the Stones merchiandaising

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:22

BowieStone
Tier 2 was definitely worth it if you wanted to walk around during the day.You walk in 15 minutes before the show kicks off, place yourself at the back of the tier and you have a great view.
So if you don't have it in you to wait for 7 hours: Tier2 will do just fine.

They really fixed this after the complaints.

My thoughts exactly. Tier 2 was a good uncrowded spot not too far from the stage

What Green Lady's diagram doesn't show is that following on from the catwalk there was another security strip, perpendicular to the stage, which housed the camera rostrums. I picked a spot right on the barrier close to the camera, which gave me a clear view across the security corridor to the stage. I could have gone a bit further forward, but being short I would have ended up with the usual view of people's backs. So I was happy with my spot, and had something to lean on as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 14:24 by nobodyimportant.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:22

MartinB
paulywaul
lmatth8461
paulywaul
My own opinion is that Tier 2 was a CRAP location for this event, NOT worth the money in the slightest, and we DID hear general mutterings from those of us in Tier 1 that got out periodically and went walkabout that there were LOTS of mighty pissed off people in that area. I'm not in the least bit surprised.

As an ardent member of the 'I'm not paying more than £100 to stand in a field' club, glad to hear that Paulywaul. Yes, I had to arrive really early, and it was a bit of a crush for a few hours, but I had an excellent view from my tier 3 vantage point.

From your comments I infer that tier 1 was pretty good, but for that price I would expect it to be. It just sounds way OTT to me for Hyde Park...it's not exactly the 100 club.

If this sounds like schadenfreude, its not. Your pays your money and you takes your choice,
For this and the O2 last year I paid a 'reasonable' price and was very happy with the result.

Lee

That's the bottom line, you DO pays your money and you DO makes your choice. I actually prefer to be (a) close to the stage, (b) in an area that isn't insanely packed, and (c) if I have to pay for the privilege once in a blue moon (like once every 44 years) ......... then I'll gladly do it. I ended up where I wanted to be, and I'll be in either precisely the same spot or even closer next Saturday 13th.

What I DO think was a total rip-off was the Barclaycard Unwind Bar thing for £100. Fortunately I have managed to get Tier 1 WITHOUT it for the 13th, so instead of a horrible £399 which is what yesterday cost, next week is a distinct "bargain" for "only £299" winking smiley ................. for f**ks sake !!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh ....... the things we do in pursuit of the Rolling Stones !! Mad mad mad mad and even madder !!

Could not agree more. I was in T1 and it was better than I hoped after all the confusion in previous days and weeks. I have the same ticket for next week and think it is well spent money.

Thanks for saying that. Yes I totally agree, it was the uncertainty of what precisely the layout was ACTUALLY going to be that was upsetting a lot of people I think, after that horrible fiasco going back to early April when the tickets initially went on sale.

Ultimately, most people I chatted to in my immediate area were of the opinion that after the barrage of abuse AEG got about there being no diamond and gold circles (as had been described on their website at the exact time tickets initially went on sale on 3rd April) - AEG significantly modified the layout. The opinion being expressed was that the layout we ultimately ended up with actually quite resembled one that was proposed on here (the IORR TELL ME board) by somebody, it was in that thread that ran for ages and ages - I can't remember the title of it right now.

Anyway, all in all, I think what AEG/Front Gate/Ticket Factory/Barclaycard have exhibited with regards to these Hyde Park shows is that they can't really so much as organise a piss-up in a brewery or a spine shattering f**k in a whorehouse ......... the whole lead-in to yesterday's gig was in a multitude of respects an unmitigated catastrophe.

On a final note, just as a matter of interest to anyone that has a payband which includes this stupid BARCLAYCARD UNWIND BAR access ............ after queuing up at the entrance gate since 10.00 a.m. and being something like 3rd or 4th through the entrance, guess WHAT ?

THE F***ING THING could not be read by the scanner, IT DIDN'T WORK !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 14:25 by paulywaul.

Date: July 7, 2013 14:30

Thanks to Paulywaul and Gotdablouse for the stunning photos - we sure had a fab spot there and great to share it with Beast, Kahoosier, BarRoomQueen, RonnieBGood, Johnny Thunders, RubyT et al. Thoroughly enjoyed the show and, as others have said, you shrug off the imperfections and screw ups and enjoy the moment. Mick and Lisa taking to the catwalk for Gimme Shleter was a highpoint for me - a wonderful rendition.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:30

Well, that was fun. Let's do it again next week! (assuming my tickets arrive in time...)

Agree with much of what's been said re SMU, Mick+Keith bromance, how Tier 1 came good in the end etc

It was great to spend some time on the rail with fellow iorr-ers Beast, Paulywaul, ManOfWealthAndtaste (and WomanOfWealthAndTaste), SteffanStones, Gotdablouse, Kahoosier and Kevin-From-Wimbledon-Park. Thank you for making the hours go faster.

A tip if you are going next week. After the gig if you leave promptly through the Knightsbridge exit and turn right along Knightsbridge itself you will come across a couple of decent pubs open past 1100 - very welcome at the end of a hot day in the Park!

All this and the return of the Flamin' Groovies in the same week....it's all too beautiful!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:31

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with either Tier 1 or Tier 2. At the time they were purchased, the official stage layout showed both tiers wayyyyy over to the right side of the stage. About a week ago, they changed the layout so that Tiers 1 and 2 are basically on the left half of the field in front of the stage. So, Tier 1 gets what anyone would want - a view FOS for those who arrive early (basically, half a "golden circle").

Tier 2 was never going to give you FOS access, as it was always placed behind Tier 1. However, now that the tiers have been moved to the left half of the field, it gets you pretty close to the stage, and as others have pointed out, is better than Tier 3 if you want to enjoy the day doing other things, and then enter the venue early in the evening. They may still be overpriced, but they are better than most people thought that they would be - so I don't understand the gripes.

Posted by: muppetmark ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:36

paulywaul
MartinB
paulywaul
lmatth8461
paulywaul
My own opinion is that Tier 2 was a CRAP location for this event, NOT worth the money in the slightest, and we DID hear general mutterings from those of us in Tier 1 that got out periodically and went walkabout that there were LOTS of mighty pissed off people in that area. I'm not in the least bit surprised.

As an ardent member of the 'I'm not paying more than £100 to stand in a field' club, glad to hear that Paulywaul. Yes, I had to arrive really early, and it was a bit of a crush for a few hours, but I had an excellent view from my tier 3 vantage point.

From your comments I infer that tier 1 was pretty good, but for that price I would expect it to be. It just sounds way OTT to me for Hyde Park...it's not exactly the 100 club.

If this sounds like schadenfreude, its not. Your pays your money and you takes your choice,
For this and the O2 last year I paid a 'reasonable' price and was very happy with the result.

Lee

That's the bottom line, you DO pays your money and you DO makes your choice. I actually prefer to be (a) close to the stage, (b) in an area that isn't insanely packed, and (c) if I have to pay for the privilege once in a blue moon (like once every 44 years) ......... then I'll gladly do it. I ended up where I wanted to be, and I'll be in either precisely the same spot or even closer next Saturday 13th.

What I DO think was a total rip-off was the Barclaycard Unwind Bar thing for £100. Fortunately I have managed to get Tier 1 WITHOUT it for the 13th, so instead of a horrible £399 which is what yesterday cost, next week is a distinct "bargain" for "only £299" winking smiley ................. for f**ks sake !!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh ....... the things we do in pursuit of the Rolling Stones !! Mad mad mad mad and even madder !!

Could not agree more. I was in T1 and it was better than I hoped after all the confusion in previous days and weeks. I have the same ticket for next week and think it is well spent money.

Thanks for saying that. Yes I totally agree, it was the uncertainty of what precisely the layout was ACTUALLY going to be that was upsetting a lot of people I think, after that horrible fiasco going back to early April when the tickets initially went on sale.

Ultimately, most people I chatted to in my immediate area were of the opinion that after the barrage of abuse AEG got about there being no diamond and gold circles (as had been described on their website at the exact time tickets initially went on sale on 3rd April) - AEG significantly modified the layout. The opinion being expressed was that the layout we ultimately ended up with actually quite resembled one that was proposed on here (the IORR TELL ME board) by somebody, it was in that thread that ran for ages and ages - I can't remember the title of it right now.

Anyway, all in all, I think what AEG/Front Gate/Ticket Factory/Barclaycard have exhibited with regards to these Hyde Park shows is that they can't really so much as organise a piss-up in a brewery or a spine shattering f**k in a whorehouse ......... the whole lead-in to yesterday's gig was in a multitude of respects an unmitigated catastrophe.

On a final note, just as a matter of interest to anyone that has a payband which includes this stupid BARCLAYCARD UNWIND BAR access ............ after queuing up at the entrance gate since 10.00 a.m. and being something like 3rd or 4th through the entrance, guess WHAT ?

THE F***ING THING could not be read by the scanner, IT DIDN'T WORK !!
Ouch that sucks, in GA tier 3 i got my band to work when getting food and ice cream.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:39

rollingon
kowalski
klrkcr
Sympathy

@4:40 Did that really happened ?

Yes it did and that's great and I don't think that's just pretending.

But what I'm really puzzled about this Sympathy is that if Keith would just stand still and concentrate on the playing I'm sure he could play the solos much better even though this wasn't a bad performance on Keith's part at all. We have seen much worse Sympathy solos in recent years/decades from Keith.

And how the hell can he mess up the simple riff of Start Me Up and still play like this in another song in the same concert???

@4:40 - is there a lip reader in the house? What did Keith say?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:39

johnnythunders
Well, that was fun. Let's do it again next week! (assuming my tickets arrive in time...)

Agree with much of what's been said re SMU, Mick+Keith bromance, how Tier 1 came good in the end etc

It was great to spend some time on the rail with fellow iorr-ers Beast, Paulywaul, ManOfWealthAndtaste (and WomanOfWealthAndTaste), SteffanStones, Gotdablouse, Kahoosier and Kevin-From-Wimbledon-Park. Thank you for making the hours go faster.

A tip if you are going next week. After the gig if you leave promptly through the Knightsbridge exit and turn right along Knightsbridge itself you will come across a couple of decent pubs open past 1100 - very welcome at the end of a hot day in the Park!

All this and the return of the Flamin' Groovies in the same week....it's all too beautiful!

Hey JT - did you go to the Groovies gig? Thought they were magnificent. I got some great shots in the front row, stood in front of Chris Wilson.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:44

Green Lady
rollingon
kowalski
klrkcr
Sympathy

@4:40 Did that really happened ?

Yes it did and that's great and I don't think that's just pretending.

But what I'm really puzzled about this Sympathy is that if Keith would just stand still and concentrate on the playing I'm sure he could play the solos much better even though this wasn't a bad performance on Keith's part at all. We have seen much worse Sympathy solos in recent years/decades from Keith.

And how the hell can he mess up the simple riff of Start Me Up and still play like this in another song in the same concert???

@4:40 - is there a lip reader in the house? What did Keith say?

I love you! I will always love you. Do you want to write songs with me again?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:44

by the looks of the photos posted , it looks like to me that the glimmers are having a good time with those big smiles on there faces .playing a hometown gig in hyde park has gotta be a really super good feeling !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:48

drbryant
I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with either Tier 1 or Tier 2. At the time they were purchased, the official stage layout showed both tiers wayyyyy over to the right side of the stage. About a week ago, they changed the layout so that Tiers 1 and 2 are basically on the left half of the field in front of the stage. So, Tier 1 gets what anyone would want - a view FOS for those who arrive early (basically, half a "golden circle").

Tier 2 was never going to give you FOS access, as it was always placed behind Tier 1. However, now that the tiers have been moved to the left half of the field, it gets you pretty close to the stage, and as others have pointed out, is better than Tier 3 if you want to enjoy the day doing other things, and then enter the venue early in the evening. They may still be overpriced, but they are better than most people thought that they would be - so I don't understand the gripes.

I think in the end the layout issue worked out well, at least for the majority. But the gripes (and I've got a few of my own) include (in my case for example) having to call up the ticket vendor over four consecutive days to ENSURE that I actually received my tickets before I left town for a few days at the beginning of the week, the week starting Monday 1st that is.

And it's a good thing that I did do that, because among other things I discovered were that (a) the tickets had not been despatched, when I had clearly been told the previous couple of days that they had been, and (b) prior to them actually being sent out, I only just in the nick of time managed to avoid having them sent to an address that I no longer live at - in fact have not lived at since Friday 12th April. And do you think I had informed them of my "change of address" ? Yes of course I had, as far back as early May.

Do you think it's normal to have to "chase up" tickets from a vendor like this ? You're entitled to your own opinion of course, but personally I think it is not in the slightest bit normal, and in fact it's a bloody disgrace. And I'm not even mentioning this entire sad business of people in continental Europe and elsewhere having been initially told their tickets had been mailed to them, and then subsequently being informed that they actually hadn't, and their order(s) had therefore been changed to collection on the day or the preceding day !!! I mean really, what the hell was that all about ? Hopeless.

AEG should go out of business. I believe there's a term for describing poorly performing companies or businesses ........... "NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE". A perfect descriptive term for AEG/BST in my opinion !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:49

bye bye johnny

Getty Images
great photo, how effortless it looks how ronnie is strumming that chord on his gibson firebird ,and how intense keith is looking at the fingerboard on his gibson 355 stunning photography !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:56

Great pictures. Thanks guys

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Jaggeresque ()
Date: July 7, 2013 15:00

rollingon
Happy24
keefriff99
schillid
Did Keith REALLY begin Start Me Up on the WRONG FRET??
That was brutal to listen to...not a good way to kick off a big show. Ugh.

He didn't start at the wrong fret. The first chord you hear is correct. The problem comes with the second one, where he places his two fingers on the B and D strings. From what I hear I think he placed them on the G and A (G in the open G tuning) strings instead. That is strange indeed and I think that it most likely happend because he was just nervous. I would not look for any more complex explanation.

What is strange is, that he didn't correct the placement of those two fingers after he hit the chord the first time, but played the whole bar like that, especially since he lifts and places those two fingers again then. But again, I think he was just nervous, that is all. I can imagine that the pressure of the moment - the long anticipated return to The Hyde Park was huge, much much bigger than before any other gig, maybe with the exception of the first gig the last year.

I just replicated his mistake on my open G telecaster, and yes what you described is precisely what he did, but the fact that he did it twice makes me think he couldn't hear his monitor, or as you say nerves in the heat of the moment.

Date: July 7, 2013 15:28

johnnythunders

Quite right JohnnyT, the pub is the Paxton's Head in Knightsbridge and they were still serving until 1145pm. A great place to have a pint after the gig and unwind....lets do it again next Saturday.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 7, 2013 15:39

So much moaning on here about boring set lists and no suprises well if you go to see them time and time again this is what youi are going to get. I got talking to a young couple on the way home on the train who are normally into drum and bass. Well they were so fired up , it was their first gig and they thought it was amazing so if thi is what they do to new fans we are going to have to accept it playing all the well known songs.

This couple said that they didn't think they would know many songs but found themselves singing along to all of them ans they must have heard them before not knowing it was thew stones.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 7, 2013 15:41

it's little things like the @#$%& up on the SMU intro that make me still love Keef

he did the same thing on Brown Sugar at Hocekenheim in 2003. Who gives a shit ?

They sounded better than the last time they played Hyde Park so all's well with the world

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 7, 2013 15:46

really really liked all pictures, but esp the last one

jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 15:46 by corriecas.

Posted by: DollyDagger ()
Date: July 7, 2013 15:59

Hi all, I'm in tier 2 next week and was wondering is it better to get there early to get a good spot or does it not make any difference Also,does the catwalk go alongside tier 2 and is there a bar and toilets in there? Thanks in advancesmiling smiley

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:01

SFTD was far better in Glastonburry. Keith as I feel it watching YT vidéos seems to be very slow and a little tired yesterday night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 16:02 by Powerage.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:03

Green Lady

My attempt to draw the layout of the Hyde Park arena - the three things marked X are three enormous sound/film structures that block the view for miles, and therefore have a screen behind them so you can watch what you can't see. The thing that caused the difficulties is a big railed-off security area that runs practically the whole width of the field. I assumed at first that everything the other side of it was Tier 1 or 2, but no - THERE IS MORE T3 ON THE OTHER SIDE. The trouble is that to get to it you have to make an enormous detour around the end of the security area.

I found myself a nice spot on the rail of the security area - good view of screens and part of stage - but throughout the show security were dealing with people who arrived at the rails and couldn't work out
(a) whether their T3 tickets allowed them into the bit on the far side
(b) how to get there
(c) having got there, how to get back.

I probably have the exact layout of T1/T2 wrong, but I'm describing this because the bit of T3 on the Keith-side stage side of the security area was very thinly populated - plenty of room to dance and move about - so it's worth knowing that yes, you are allowed in there without a wristband. Useful information for next week.

I actually walked into that area thinking it WAS Tier 2! This was about 4 pm and it was not very crowded. I even sat down and chatted to some people before I noticed that nobody around me had wristbands.

Coming through the Tier 1/2 entrance I just assumed it was direct access into those areas - but it led directly into the Tier 3 area Green Lady has described, with the access lanes to Tiers 1 & 2 over to the extreme right of the entrance.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:10

Guys, Tank you very very much for those GREAT pics and vids, you Rock!! Seems like a very Good Show, Rambler was Great and I Really like the Way Keith fucxx up the First chord of the Gig ... Legendary! Next week I will be there, looking forward for CYHMK! Or LIV? Its the Second Gig, so they will change something!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:12

Great pics paulywaul and gotdablouse, MUCH APPRECIATED!! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:15

bye bye johnny

Getty Images
And again bye bye johnny, you deserve an MVP award for all of your great updates, from all over, I am not sure how you do it, but I sure do appreciate your efforts on pix and tweet and setlists etc etc

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:28

Powerage
SFTD was far better in Glastonburry. Keith as I feel it watching YT vidéos seems to be very slow and a little tired yesterday night.

Maybe the Stones should always reserve a period of 3-4 days for the basis on one concert and depending on how could day Keith has then they could make the final decision about the actual concert date just 10 hours before the concert. winking smiley

That would be quite expensive arrangement though...

Keith has become a little bit like Elvis in the 70s though Elvis was like 30 years younger then than Keith is now!!! But both of them seems to have clearly better and worse shows. Jagger keeps his level astonishingly great all the time though some minor mistakes he does too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 16:34 by rollingon.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:36

Keith almost spent most of the show on Ronnie's side, i think he knew his side was VIP/T1&2.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:37

Really enjoyed the concert the atmosphere was electric and a great performance is made not only by.the artist but also by.the response of the audience. I know there were a few mistakes and the setlist was crowd pleasing albeit with a dusting of rarities. I believe in freedom of expression, but what I don't get is how some fans who can obviously play the guitar professionally or otherwise dissect Keef's playing to infinitty and beyond. We all know that Keef is no longer at the height of his powers but he is performing better than during the ABB tour. He has contributed to that ramshackle rawness that is part of the Stones greatness He is one of the greatest guitarists ever. All the greatest artists in whatever field are technically imperfect but show raw emotion and vulnerability.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:45

Lets hope the Elvis analogy would be it... don't want him to become a 2nd Bob Dylan... (BTW - Keith Moon would be the best analogy for Keith Richards I think: heavy use of Drugs and Alcohol taking its toll with the result being a slow, sometimes out of tune, legend. Off course Keith Moon was barely a kid when he could hardly stay in line at those 2 final shows in 1976/7, whilh KR is... OLD!).

video: [www.youtube.com]
rollingon
Powerage

Maybe the Stones should always reserve a period of 3-4 days for the basis on one concert and depending on how could day Keith has then they could make the final decision about the actual concert date just 10 hours before the concert. winking smiley

That would be quite expensive arrangement though...

Keith has become a little bit like Elvis in the 70s though Elvis was like 30 years younger then than Keith is now!!! But both of them seems to have clearly better and worse shows. Jagger keeps his level astonishingly great all the time though some minor mistakes he does too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 16:47 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 7, 2013 16:53

Silver Dagger
johnnythunders

Hey JT - did you go to the Groovies gig? Thought they were magnificent. I got some great shots in the front row, stood in front of Chris Wilson.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1579
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home