Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536Next
Current Page: 35 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2014 15:55

kleermaker

Now you may say anything you want about Mick Taylor. grinning smiley

Let's save it for a Taylor thread... winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: May 16, 2014 09:39

Doxa

I guess this new term "Richardite" is just pseudonym a for "Woodite" or "Woodist". The logic of "Woodism" is that there is no other effective musical force than Richards (and Jagger in lesser degree) in The Rolling Stones, which could have something significant to offer to their music. Ronnie Wood is a perfect Rolling Stone for them, since he doesn't challenge The Big Boys any way, but is their humble servant. "Woodism" does not have directly a substance of its own, but expresses certain blind worship of The Glimmer Twins, and owns a very simple but "official" interpretation of band's music and history. Whereas "Taylorism" and "Brianjonesism" seriously challenge the picture of Richards and Jagger being alone responsible for the greatness of the music of The Rolling Stones. The typical feature of "Woodism" in practise is systematically belittle the contributions and significance of Brian Jones and Mick Taylor in the history of The Rolling Stones. Now and then.

- Doxa

I love it >grinning smiley<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-16 09:41 by MarkSchneider.

Date: May 16, 2014 09:46

In the last sentence, Doxa, you mistake Taylorites for Woodites.

What about us, who love them all - where do we "belong"?

Seriously, that was as funny back then, as it is now grinning smiley

You didn't mention the Chuck-ites, btw. He is the one challenging them now, after all.

On a musical note: You don't think playing with Ronnie is a challenge in any way? winking smiley

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: May 16, 2014 17:54

Love You Live:

Happy
You Gotta Move
You Cant Always Get What You Want
Mannish Boy
Cracking Up
Mannish Boy
Sympathy For The Devil

Date: May 16, 2014 17:55

Atlantic City 1989

Start Me Up
Undercover
Tumbling Dice
Miss You
Terrifying
Rock And a Hard Place
Mixed Emotions

Date: May 16, 2014 17:57

Hampton 1981

Shattered
Neighbors
Black Limo
Imagination
Beast Of Burden
Let It Bleed

Date: May 16, 2014 17:59

LA Friday 1975

If You Cant Rock Me
Gimme Shelter
You Cant Always Get...
Angie
Wild Horses
Rip This Joint
Street Fighting Man
Midnight Rambler
Jummpin Jack Flash

Date: May 16, 2014 18:04

4 Flix / Live Licks

Cant You Hear Me Knocking
Beast Of Burden
Worried About You
Dont Stop
No Expectations
Before They Make Me Run
Hand of Fate

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2014 20:05

DandelionPowderman

What about us, who love them all - where do we "belong"?

A conditional (so called) love with regards to one particular guitarist. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: May 16, 2014 22:05

DandelionPowderman
The analysis is not correct in any way, either smiling smiley

Please, do tell.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:50

TonyMo
DandelionPowderman

Please, do tell.

"Please do tell" means Substantiate your assertion. Debunk the analysis.

Show that there is substance to your powderbrain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 23:30 by Deluxtone.

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 17, 2014 00:19

Haven't looked at this for a few days. Did everyone forget the topic here? It's not Who was better: MT or RW. It's not Let's talk about how wonderful Mick Taylor was. It's not Let's bash Woody for being sloppy. Sometimes I wonder why I join certain forums and/or facebook groups. People want to turn whatever topic there is into an excuse to talk about something somewhat related but not really the subject they're supposed to be talking about. I'm glad to see someone a few posts back bothered to actually list what they feel are The Greatest Ron Wood Solos. What an oddball. He's out there standing alone and taking the topic for what it's supposed to be, and BTW, where in the title of the topic does it even remotely imply it's got anything to do with Mick Taylor. OK, I'm done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 01:05 by FanOfGRARBITW.

Date: May 17, 2014 03:27

Haven't looked at this for a few days. Did everyone forget the topic here? It's not Who was better: MT or RW. It's not Let's talk about how wonderful Mick Taylor was. It's not Let's bash Woody for being sloppy. Sometimes I wonder why I join certain forums and/or facebook groups. People want to turn whatever topic into an excuse to talk about something somewhat related but not really the subject they're supposed to be talking about. I'm glad to someone a few posts back bothered to actually list what they feel are The Greatest Ron Wood Solos. What an oddball. He out there standing alone and taking the topic for what it's supposed to be, and BTW, where in the title of the topic does it even remotely imply it's got anything to do with Mick Taylor. OK, I'm done.

Date: May 17, 2014 03:29

Why did that post twice?

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 17, 2014 03:34

FanOfGRARBITW
Why did that post twice?

It's not supposed to happen...you must have some magic.

Date: May 17, 2014 04:32

latebloomer
FanOfGRARBITW
Why did that post twice?

I do....Everything I touch turns to shit!

- Dan -

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 17, 2014 04:42

FanOfGRARBITW
latebloomer
FanOfGRARBITW
Why did that post twice?

Well, at least you still have your sense of humor.grinning smiley

Date: May 17, 2014 10:36

Deluxtone
TonyMo
DandelionPowderman

Please, do tell.

Show that there is substance on your powderbrain.

Your tone has lost its sustain. Is this really the best you can do in this thread?

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: May 17, 2014 11:33

DandelionPowderman
Your tone has lost its sustain. Is this really the best you can do in this thread?

So, rather than explain where the analysis is awry, you fling a euphemism my way.

I on the other hand submit that any and all of Mick Taylor's solo's will feature a trill, ascending AND descending pull-offs, liberal use of the M2nd to m3rd triplet and a trip around either the major penatonic or m7sus4 scale (that's music parlance for minor pentatonic) ... is likely to include a whole tone bend to the 3rd whilst SIMULTANEOUSLY fretting the 5th, and will, nearly every time, begin and end on the downbeat ...and furthermore, that none of the aforementioned can be disputed or diparaged as 'incorrect analysis'

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 20:36 by TonyMo.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 17, 2014 11:47

latebloomer
FanOfGRARBITW
latebloomer
FanOfGRARBITW
Why did that post twice?

Without that it would be rough here...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: May 17, 2014 13:00

Doxa
latebloomer
FanOfGRARBITW
latebloomer
FanOfGRARBITW
Why did that post twice?

Without that it would be rough here...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Well said Doxa! thumbs up

- Dan -

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 17, 2014 14:30

TonyMo
DandelionPowderman

So, rather than explain where the analysis is awry, you fling a euphemism my way.

I on the other hand submit that any and all of Mick Taylor's solo's will feature a trill, ascending AND descending pull-offs, liberal use of the M2nd to m3rd triplet and a trip around either the major penatonic or m7sus4 scale (that's music parlance for minor pentatonic) and is likely to include a whole tone bend to the 3rd whilst SIMULTANEOUSLY fretting the 5th... and furthermore, that none of the aforementioned can be disputed or diparaged as 'incorrect analysis'

Thank you.

Yes I think you have to explain your denial Dandie. Only stating that an analysis isn't correct just doesn't satisfy any interested reader.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 17, 2014 17:56

TonyMo
DandelionPowderman

I on the other hand submit that any and all of Mick Taylor's solo's will feature a trill, ascending AND descending pull-offs, liberal use of the M2nd to m3rd triplet and a trip around either the major penatonic or m7sus4 scale (that's music parlance for minor pentatonic) and is likely to include a whole tone bend to the 3rd whilst SIMULTANEOUSLY fretting the 5th... and furthermore, that none of the aforementioned can be disputed or diparaged as 'incorrect analysis'

Thank you.

BANG !

Date: May 17, 2014 18:36

Open string pull-offs aren't difficult at all, Tony. Mick Taylor doesn't have profound knowledge about any of the techniques, scales or runs you are describing. Nor is he in any way alone in partly mastering those.

What Mick Taylor indeed knows is parts of scales, a little fragment of pull-off techniques and he has some knowledge about every music style he superficially touches and blends it in his solos. That is also his main strength. That makes him a searching guitarist, and his stuff becomes more interesting.

He knows the blues, some jazz and some other stuff. He is no scholar, professor or schooled musician. He is a self-taught, albeit great, guitar player with great feeling, and with a nice sense for picking parts of different styles in the songs he solos in.

I hope BV removes this post and the other posts from people who obviously can't read, write or comprehend simple posting rules here TO THE APPROPRIATE THREAD.

Did I hear a little Beatle-bug crack over there, btw?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 17, 2014 20:12

I agree with Doxa's Keith analysis, but no harm intended Dandelion. I think Doxa has a point and I believe it's about the idea of Keith as a solitary genius. I believed that for a long time and gradually had to accept, yes, he may be that, I consider him one, but there were others who contributed - a lot - and Keith was heavily inspired and also copied others - like Cooder.

And to my ears, he found his unique style in 1972 (listen to his ingenious rhythm playing on YCAGWYW)

and developed even more in the mid and late 70s. Like HTW on LYL. That's where the song no longer has Cooder in it, it becomes Keith.

Why not analyze Ronnies style, his solos. I find it very hard to copy solos like his great Brown Sugar solo from Les Abattoirs 1976. Same goes for Shattered Hampton 1981. They shouldnt be hard to play, but they are. Something about timing maybe.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 17, 2014 20:14

Anybody know how to play Ronnies BS solo note for note? I never get it right.

Date: May 17, 2014 23:37

DandelionPowderman
Deluxtone
TonyMo
DandelionPowderman

Please, do tell.

Show that there is substance on your powderbrain.

"The analysis is not correct in any way either"

Is that the best you could do?

Edit - I see that TonyMo has already taken you to task.

Your with sustained, glowing, rounded and melodious tone,

MT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 23:58 by Deluxtone.

Date: May 17, 2014 23:52

FanOfGRARBITW
Haven't looked at this for a few days. Did everyone forget the topic here? It's not Who was better: MT or RW. It's not Let's talk about how wonderful Mick Taylor was. It's not Let's bash Woody for being sloppy. Sometimes I wonder why I join certain forums and/or facebook groups. People want to turn whatever topic into an excuse to talk about something somewhat related but not really the subject they're supposed to be talking about. I'm glad to someone a few posts back bothered to actually list what they feel are The Greatest Ron Wood Solos. What an oddball. He out there standing alone and taking the topic for what it's supposed to be, and BTW, where in the title of the topic does it even remotely imply it's got anything to do with Mick Taylor. OK, I'm done.

You missed the opening post before it was edited not to include Taylor comparisons.
i.e. this post unnecessarily (sp?) started life with a swipe at Taylor.
Nevertheless it has had a fairly spicey and not completely predictable life ...

Date: May 17, 2014 23:54

Deluxtone
FanOfGRARBITW

You missed the opening post before it was edited not to include Taylor comparisons.
i.e. this post unnecessarily (sp?) started life with a swipe at Taylor.
Nevertheless it has had a fairly spicey and not completely predictable life ...

Thank you for clearing things up.

- Dan -

Date: May 19, 2014 15:17

After all the unnecessary distractions I think it's time for some good Woody-solos!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536Next
Current Page: 35 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home