Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 6, 2014 17:47

True, they started slow in '69, but so what? This was the first time ever on the road in the "modern era" of concerts. New amps, new PA rigs, new audiences, new guitarist. So they took a little time to gell and people find this something to criticize? I wish we had the evolution in playing on the tours from 1975-on, but of course we don't. As for Keith peaking in '75, the only thing that peaked for him then was his heroin use.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 6, 2014 18:38

LuxuryStones
Mathijs
I never liked I'm Free for example: that song drags, and I don't like Taylor's approach to it.
Mathijs

One has to be rather cold blooded not to feel or at least not to understand the musical warmth / melodic romance Taylor is adding here.

In fact ... One of MT's very ingenious contributions ... But also I like Keith's heavy rhythm-guitar on this track during the 69 tour (San Diego, Boston, if I remember right), that contrasts the brilliance of Taylor's lead in a specific way.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 6, 2014 19:45

!!video: [www.youtube.com] Here's a real good Ronnie solo with fat strat tone of doom a little while back. Of course he has Chuck here wailing on the B-3, Steve Jordan and a killer band to inspire him to kick butt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-06 19:46 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 6, 2014 19:58

RobertJohnson

In fact ... One of MT's very ingenious contributions ... But also I like Keith's heavy rhythm-guitar on this track during the 69 tour (San Diego, Boston, if I remember right), that contrasts the brilliance of Taylor's lead in a specific way.

thumbs up

Agreed, they were about the best guitar duo in their chosen field at that time, imo.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 6, 2014 20:19

For me there are no great Ronnie Wood solos, there are some cool ones though.

Unfortunately he joined the stones at a time when music in general was getting a bit crappy.

This is one of the cool Ronnie solos, nothing amazing, it just sounds groovy, maaan. His style really suited 60's mod/freakbeat/proto psych.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 6, 2014 20:21

His Majesty
For me there are no great Ronnie Wood solos

Breaking news coming from a lost son!! grinning smiley Welcome back, HM

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 6, 2014 20:23

LuxuryStones
RobertJohnson

thumbs up

Agreed, they were about the best guitar duo in their chosen field at that time, imo.
thumbs up

Date: May 6, 2014 20:34

As for Rolling Stones guitar solos, Brian showed how it should/could be done back in 1963...

Excitingly racous, positively distinctive... it is melodic, to the point, has a beginning and an end.

Elmore James doing a Beatles melody, the old and the new brought together in new and exciting way.

It some what has a partner in 1969... It's almost as if it's the same player as he developed a few years later.

So good, they spliced it on again. winking smiley

I now feel there is quite a musical lineage between Jones and Taylor in that Taylor is almost the kind of guitarist Jones could have been had Jones applied his thirst for adventure and his musicality to just the guitar.

smoking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 6, 2014 20:51

His Majesty

I now feel there is quite a musical lineage between Jones and Taylor in that Taylor is almost the kind of guitarist Jones could have been had Jones applied his thirst for adventure and his musicality to just the guitar.

smoking smiley

Finally! hot smiley

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 6, 2014 21:09

LuxuryStones
His Majesty

grinning smileydrinking smiley

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 6, 2014 21:37

His Majesty
I now feel there is quite a musical lineage between Jones and Taylor in that Taylor is almost the kind of guitarist Jones could have been had Jones applied his thirst for adventure and his musicality to just the guitar

Welcome back, HM! This is OT, but what do you think of Taylor's version of No Expectations? I'm guessing you're not a fan, but I always found it interesting that of all the Stones songs he could have reworked as a tribute to the band, he picked that one, a song so closely associated with Jones (and specifically with Jones the slide guitarist as opposed to the avant-garde Jones that in some ways predominated towards the end of his life).

Date: May 6, 2014 21:44

Stoneburst
His Majesty
I now feel there is quite a musical lineage between Jones and Taylor in that Taylor is almost the kind of guitarist Jones could have been had Jones applied his thirst for adventure and his musicality to just the guitar

Welcome back, HM! This is OT, but what do you think of Taylor's version of No Expectations? I'm guessing you're not a fan, but I always found it interesting that of all the Stones songs he could have reworked as a tribute to the band, he picked that one, a song so closely associated with Jones (and specifically with Jones the slide guitarist as opposed to the avant-garde Jones that in some ways predominated towards the end of his life).

I like the Hyde Park 1969 version more than R&R Circus. winking smiley

I think his solo live show renderings have been pretty drab, but it's totally understandable why he'd gravitate towards that song.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 6, 2014 23:35

His Majesty
As for Rolling Stones guitar solos, Brian showed how it should/could be done back in 1963...

Excitingly racous, positively distinctive... it is melodic, to the point, has a beginning and an end.

Elmore James doing a Beatles melody, the old and the new brought together in new and exciting way.

It some what has a partner in 1969... It's almost as if it's the same player as he developed a few years later.

smoking smiley

A really intelligent and distinctive observation ...

Date: May 6, 2014 23:41

71Tele
True, they started slow in '69, but so what? This was the first time ever on the road in the "modern era" of concerts. New amps, new PA rigs, new audiences, new guitarist. So they took a little time to gell and people find this something to criticize? I wish we had the evolution in playing on the tours from 1975-on, but of course we don't. As for Keith peaking in '75, the only thing that peaked for him then was his heroin use.

It wasn't criticism, just pointing out that you can't judge an entire tour by its best show only.

I love this tour myself, and find it among the three best tours they ever did.

PS: I think Keith peaked in 77, heroin-wise winking smiley He had big problems in 73.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-06 23:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 7, 2014 00:22

LuxuryStones
His Majesty

But you've taken his statement out of context. winking smiley

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: May 7, 2014 00:24

RobertJohnson
LuxuryStones
Mathijs
I never liked I'm Free for example: that song drags, and I don't like Taylor's approach to it.
Mathijs

One has to be rather cold blooded not to feel or at least not to understand the musical warmth / melodic romance Taylor is adding here.

Whoever does not think this version of "I'm Free" is brilliant needs their ears checked

Date: May 7, 2014 00:25

71Tele

But we do - have the evolution in playing on other tours.
in 72 and 78 it is plain to see. In 75 also, but differently because it was the first RW tour, also Preston and Ollie had to find their place. Honestly - I never thought Ollie Brown brought much to the game. Matter of fact, I think he was almost a liability.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 7, 2014 00:42

Palace Revolution 2000
71Tele

in 72 and 78 it is plain to see. In 75 also, but differently because it was the first RW tour, also Preston and Ollie had to find their place. Honestly - I never thought Ollie Brown brought much to the game. Matter of fact, I think he was almost a liability.

Preston toured already with them in 1973

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: May 7, 2014 00:45

Below, Ron Wood is playing what's known as a twelve bar blues ('twelve bar blues', for those who don't know, is musical parlance for a blues song with twelve bars). You'll notice Ron Wood has an arm around the scantily clad and obviously flirty Lisa Fischer who is nearly sitting on his lap while her hand is on his leg. Even though Ron Wood is a faux 'blues' player who mostly lacks focus and musicality, one notices his loopy approach to this song pleases Lisa Fisher to what degree I'm not sure. Either she finds Ron Wood's jittery pentatonic (meaning five musical notes) technique amusing (like an adult who finds a toddler's imitation of a cow amusing) or she's incapable of realizing that Ron Wood is an un-schooled poseur (unlike his predecessors).

The only concession to be made is that Wood's performance is borderline acceptable here given (one assumes) that the condition of his 'member' during the 'performance' doubtless contributes to his jitteriness.

'I took Sleepy John Estes for everything I could get' Ry Cooder

Date: May 7, 2014 00:52

TonyMo
Below, Ron Wood is playing what's known as a twelve bar blues ('twelve bar blues', for those who don't know, is musical parlance for a blues song with twelve bars). You'll notice Ron Wood has an arm around the scantily clad and obviously flirty Lisa Fischer who is nearly sitting on his lap while her hand is on his leg. Even though Ron Wood is a faux 'blues' player who mostly lacks focus and musicality, one notices his loopy approach to this song pleases Lisa Fisher to what degree I'm not sure. Either she finds Ron Wood's jittery pentatonic (meaning five musical notes) technique amusing (like an adult who finds a toddler's imitation of a cow amusing) or she's incapable of realizing that Ron Wood is an un-schooled poseur (unlike his predecessors).

The only concession to be made is that Wood's performance is borderline acceptable here given (one assumes) that the condition of his 'member' during the 'performance' doubtless contributes to his jitteriness.

Well, in Ronnie's defense I am fairly certain that the condition of my "member" would contribute to my jitteriness as well if I had that particular lady wrapped around me while I was trying to play guitar.

Date: May 7, 2014 00:55

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

It wasn't criticism, just pointing out that you can't judge an entire tour by its best show only.

PS: I think Keith peaked in 77, heroin-wise winking smiley He had big problems in 73.

Perhaps you sometimes focus on the details of what I say rather than the larger point, or perhaps I don't communicate as well as I think. I should have said that the heroin use affected his playing more in '75 than in '73, because I think it's obvious it did. You are likely right that his "use" peaked in '77.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 7, 2014 00:55

....there's been a few but Ekaterina I guess

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 7, 2014 00:57

RobertJohnson
His Majesty

smoking smiley

A really intelligent and distinctive observation ...

I was thinking the e x a c t same thing just the other day and downloaded some versions of that song just to compare (Wonder 1986, Jackson Five, Stones). HM, welcome back. Not kidding, I replayed that solo and thought about how this is what Brian very well could have developed into.

Date: May 7, 2014 01:01

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Perhaps you sometimes focus on the details of what I say rather than the larger point, or perhaps I don't communicate as well as I think. I should have said that the heroin use affected his playing more in '75 than in '73, because I think it's obvious it did. You are likely right that his "use" peaked in '77.

He was in real bad shape all thru 1978 but yes, I assume that the attempts to kick it later in 1978 gave him a taste of what may come. 1978 is the last year of the nonstop smacked up lifestyle that had gone on for ten years. He was a new Keith in 1981.

Date: May 7, 2014 01:03

Palace Revolution 2000
71Tele

Ollie? No no no. He is by far the most underrated backup they had. He updated their sound in 1975-1977. He was very important.

Date: May 7, 2014 01:15

Redhotcarpet

I was thinking the e x a c t same thing just the other day and downloaded some versions of that song just to compare (Wonder 1986, Jackson Five, Stones). HM, welcome back. Not kidding, I replayed that solo and thought about how this is what Brian very well could have developed into.

Taylors parts on that song are quite early Jones like, the chordal picking ala Jones parts on Time Is on My Side, Pain In My Heart and then the solo which has similarities to Jones I Wanna Be Your Man solo.

Intentional or otherwise, for this listener it feels like a nod and a wink from one third man to another. That the track ties in, alledgedly, so closely with Brian dying just adds to it all.

Or maybe it just shows how naturally similar their approaches could be, similarities which extend in to the essentials of their chordal rhythm guitars and Berry rhythms...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 01:21 by His Majesty.

Date: May 7, 2014 01:16

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

He played more, better and more adventurous in 75, imo, so it's hard for me to see that. Loved his sound as well.

Date: May 7, 2014 01:35

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

He played more, better and more adventurous in 75, imo, so it's hard for me to see that. Loved his sound as well.

OK. I saw it up close and personal when his adventurousness seemed remarkably like nodding out. But I am sure other shows were different.

Side note: No thread where I criticize Wood's playing is complete without Max'sKansasCity screaming bloody murder and calling me every name in the book. I kind of miss the bastard. smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 7, 2014 02:06

His Majesty
Taylors parts on that song are quite early Jones like, the chordal picking ala Jones parts on Time Is on My Side, Pain In My Heart and then the solo which has similarities to Jones I Wanna Be Your Man solo.

Intentional or otherwise, for this listener it feels like a nod and a wink from one third man to another. That the track ties in, alledgedly, so closely with Brian dying just adds to it all.

Or maybe it just shows how naturally similar their approaches could be, similarities which extend in to the essentials of their chordal rhythm guitars and Berry rhythms...

Your mentioning this has made me realise what an obvious influence Jones was on Taylor's early slide playing with the Stones. I'd never really thought about it before. Take Love In Vain as a case study - Taylor's slide solos at Hyde Park in '69 are very much the sort of thing Jones, had he been alive and still into the guitar, might have played. We get to Ya-Ya's and that distinct Chicago influence on the slide work, the sort of thing you could hear Mike Bloomfield playing on Highway 61 a few years earlier, is still in evidence - the use of full triads, the opening notes of the final solo etc - albeit with more of Taylor's own lyricism. Over the next two years he stops playing slide on it altogether in favour of his earlier Bluesbreakers approach; by '72, he's back to playing slide on half of the song, but he's doing it in standard tuning and it's pretty much all his own thing.

I suggested earlier in this thread that Wood's first problem in joining the Stones was taking over abruptly from a highly idiosyncratic guitar player and thus having to try and emulate his style in '75 and '76 - a problem Taylor, taking over from Jones, didn't have. Perhaps I spoke too soon.

Date: May 7, 2014 02:15

RobertJohnson
LuxuryStones
Mathijs
Mathijs

This is f-in fantastic! Never heard it before. VEry very cool version. Jagger could have done more on this one. MIssed oppurtunity on Jagger. What a f-in awesome guitar track.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1674
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home