Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536Next
Current Page: 31 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 7, 2014 23:35

71Tele
Definitely behind the rope. I wanted to touch the keyboards but people were watching. I did go up the stairs to the control room, but could not enter the Holy of Holies.

Kinda silly to not let people touch them as they get played anyway.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2014 23:41

His Majesty
71Tele
Definitely behind the rope. I wanted to touch the keyboards but people were watching. I did go up the stairs to the control room, but could not enter the Holy of Holies.

Kinda silly to not let people touch them as they get played anyway.

They did get a few people up to play pre-marked keys on several of the keyboards at the same time. Turned out to be the final chord of Day In The Life.

Date: May 7, 2014 23:48

71Tele

They did get a few people up to play pre-marked keys on several of the keyboards at the same time. Turned out to be the final chord of Day In The Life.

smoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 8, 2014 00:47

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

Hey Max! Great to know you're still here. And I hope you know I meant "bastard" affectionately!
Ya bastard, time to switch keyboards, time for your piano lesson...
practice practice practice... that piano aint gonna play itself, unless it does.

No, it doesn't, and I suck at piano. By the way, speaking of pianos, I was in Abbey Road studio #2 on Sunday and they had many of the keyboards that were played on Beatle sessions: The Hammond B3, the grand piano, the celeste, etc. I think Paul got the Mellotron. That one wasn't there. Glad you're here Max. This place isn't the same without you.

Thanks Tele that is good to hear cool smiley I wondered how you and that piano were getting along... maybe you just need a cutiepie guitar teacher lady to help you along. I enjoyed learning the keyboards just for the insight it gave me towards the guitar (and all of music) not I can play anything worth a damn, but it is all fun.

Cool story about Abbey Road studio, you world traveler, that is awesome. I still check in here from time to time, The Stones are my band and this is one of the sites I use to keep track on them, but...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 8, 2014 00:50

DandelionPowderman
Max'sKansasCity
DandelionPowderman
This one's for you, Max:

Izzy!!!

With a cool duet partner and solo guitarist that seemingly only a few of us appreciate... smiling smiley
ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

I am still looking forward to your band's tour across the states...

Date: May 8, 2014 00:54

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

Hey Max! Great to know you're still here. And I hope you know I meant "bastard" affectionately!
practice practice practice... that piano aint gonna play itself, unless it does.

No, it doesn't, and I suck at piano. By the way, speaking of pianos, I was in Abbey Road studio #2 on Sunday and they had many of the keyboards that were played on Beatle sessions: The Hammond B3, the grand piano, the celeste, etc. I think Paul got the Mellotron. That one wasn't there. Glad you're here Max. This place isn't the same without you.

Thanks Tele that is good to hear cool smiley I wondered how you and that piano were getting along... maybe you just need a cutiepie guitar teacher lady to help you along. I enjoyed learning the keyboards just for the insight it gave me towards the guitar (and all of music) not I can play anything worth a damn, but it is all fun.

Cool story about Abbey Road studio, you world traveler, that is awesome. I still check in here from time to time, The Stones are my band and this is one of the sites I use to keep track on them, but...

Max, I did get a Nord Electro 4 keyboard, which does pianos as well as Farfisa, Hammond B3 (with real draw bars), Vox Continental, and Mellotron sounds. I love it and use it for recording....sorry to go off topic here...

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 8, 2014 00:59

tomk
McCartney acquired the gray Mellotron that EMI bought in 1968.
The one used during 1967 was a rented one.

Oops. Didn't see that someone had posted that before.

Date: May 8, 2014 11:24

One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written, imo. Some of Ronnie's best lead guitar work as well. Enjoy!

Date: May 8, 2014 12:23

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

Max, I did get a Nord Electro 4 keyboard, which does pianos as well as Farfisa, Hammond B3 (with real draw bars), Vox Continental, and Mellotron sounds. I love it and use it for recording....sorry to go off topic here...

Got one of those too Tele. Love it. I have been using cheaper casio keysboards for years ; they also have very good organ stops; very real. Plus the string and brass sounds are phenomenal at such a price. It's any synth or sequencer functions where the casio is really weak.
I like the Nord Electro a whole lot; just got it recently.

Date: May 8, 2014 12:34

Palace Revolution 2000
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

Got one of those too Tele. Love it. I have been using cheaper casio keysboards for years ; they also have very good organ stops; very real. Plus the string and brass sounds are phenomenal at such a price. It's any synth or sequencer functions where the casio is really weak.
I like the Nord Electro a whole lot; just got it recently.

I was using a Casio Preva and an EMU Classic Keys for the analog keyboards. The Nord is expensive but there's nothing like it for analog sounds, which is all I use.

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 8, 2014 15:19

This thread is getting way off topic....

Date: May 8, 2014 15:19

More magic from Ronnie:

Date: May 8, 2014 15:23

DandelionPowderman
More magic from Ronnie:

Now THAT'S what this thread should be about...Nice DP!

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Date: May 8, 2014 16:03

71Tele

Problem with mellotron sounds is they are taken direct from master tapes so no actual mellotron involvement or influence on the sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-08 16:11 by His Majesty.

Date: May 8, 2014 16:09

DandelionPowderman
More magic from Ronnie:

Yeah, that's a good one, it's as if it's the original band as it might have been in 70's. thumbs up

No stories needed, just cools sounds and vibes. cool smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 8, 2014 16:24

FanOfGRARBITW

Welcome to the internets.

Date: May 8, 2014 16:28

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
More magic from Ronnie:

Yeah, that's a good one, it's as if it's the original band as it might have been in 70's. thumbs up

The story was already written - it just needed underlining smiling smiley

Date: May 8, 2014 18:36

FanOfGRARBITW

Oh no, the Thread Police!

Date: May 8, 2014 18:36

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
More magic from Ronnie:

The story was already written - it just needed underlining smiling smiley

I actually do love this one.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 8, 2014 19:09

Yes Dandelion! Now that is the stuff.
Ronnie is all over the El Mocambo gigs, and so is Keith. And yes, so is Mick, he's fantastic, best in years. And Bill of course. And the rest.

But Ronnie should be saluted for his work at the El Mocambo in 1977. He was brilliant those nights. And truly a blues player by the way. In a way he's the natural follower to Brian on this one. A more angst-driven or even teasing Rooster in the larger Open E, not the cocky horny down on all four bastard Brian gave voice to in Open G. I love the original and I love this one.

Date: May 8, 2014 19:12

The band is cooking. Bill is brilliant. Charlie is on top. Keith on fire. Ronnie? He's doing what I love about his playing, perfect moving, sliding fills. ER and Some Girls has a lot of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-08 19:16 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: May 8, 2014 19:12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-08 19:16 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: May 8, 2014 19:21

71Tele
FanOfGRARBITW

smiling bouncing smiley LOL - Careful now - The thread police have arrest warrants for a few people here. They're probably coming for me too! Oh No! Someone's banging on my door and shouting, "Can't you hear me Knocking?"
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 9, 2014 00:23

DandelionPowderman
More magic from Ronnie:

yes, the guitars are beautiful here. This version of the "Rooster" is my favorite track off LYL album. But who really impresses me on this version is Billy Preston. It simple what he plays; great church organ, but so god. he hits one chord that is ecstasy; at 2:42 right after "please drive him home.."

Date: May 9, 2014 00:26

Agreed + the extremely fast run he does for a couple of seconds in there. Great stuff! I think Ronnie's guitar is smooth as silk, as well as played with a wonderful feel - a perfect fit to Keith's sharp tone, imo.

Date: May 9, 2014 00:39

DandelionPowderman
Agreed + the extremely fast run he does for a couple of seconds in there. Great stuff! I think Ronnie's guitar is smooth as silk, as well as played with a wonderful feel - a perfect fit to Keith's sharp tone, imo.

The whole vibe and feel of Side 3 of LYL is completely different to the rest of that album. So much so that I wondered why they didn't just release the entire show, rather than versions from Paris '76 (or whatever), which I find flaccid and tired. Different band on Side 3.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 9, 2014 03:43

FanOfGRARBITW
71Tele
FanOfGRARBITW

smiling bouncing smiley LOL - Careful now - The thread police have arrest warrants for a few people here. They're probably coming for me too! Oh No! Someone's banging on my door and shouting, "Can't you hear me Knocking?"
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
actually it's come full circle and we are focusing on what we appreciate about Wood. While a direct comparison between him and Taylor brings out the worst, focusing of what we like about Ronnie is enlightening to even the most skeptical Taylorite. Ron is for the most part an innovator, when presented with good tunes by Keith and Mick he has excelled as an interpreter. As a copycat to the classic Taylor stuff he falls short, cover guy is not his greatest skill but as a musician who comes up with his own parts for fresh songs he's a great artist. When all's said and done that's what a Rolling Stone and a guitar hero should be.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 9, 2014 04:36

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
More magic from Ronnie:

yes, the guitars are beautiful here. This version of the "Rooster" is my favorite track off LYL album. But who really impresses me on this version is Billy Preston. It simple what he plays; great church organ, but so god. he hits one chord that is ecstasy; at 2:42 right after "please drive him home.."

A much younger Billy Preston aced the organ on Sam Cooke's 1963 version as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-09 04:37 by andrewt.

Date: May 9, 2014 10:08

andrewt
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
More magic from Ronnie:

A much younger Billy Preston aced the organ on Sam Cooke's 1963 version as well.

Sam Cooke does not add that xtra bar that the Stones have in there.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 9, 2014 17:11

I like the way Ronnie and Keith do this, great Blues feeling, better than the versions on LA Friday and LYL, which are already very good:

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536Next
Current Page: 31 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1809
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home