Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536Next
Current Page: 32 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 9, 2014 17:40

Another great Ronnie/Keith joint venture ... One of my favorites:

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 9, 2014 17:50

Yep like this..Faces R. Wood = brilliant

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 9, 2014 17:54

I´m just wondering that nobody here mentioned Ronnie`s great playing at the FACES reunion tour some years ago. After years of -well- mediocre playing with the Stones I was really impressed how he lead the whole band, his band. Great playing, riffs, solos, fills ..

That was the time where I got the feeling that the Stones could do a comeback one day with a strong Ronnie.

I was very happy about the FACES reunion. Happy for Ronnie that he showed us that he still can do it.

Sorry, no links.

Tom

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 9, 2014 18:02

Date: May 9, 2014 18:04

THAT is a great Ronnie-solo, Ming! grinning smiley

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 9, 2014 20:21

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-09 20:26 by Powerage.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 9, 2014 22:30

Slide on this:

Date: May 10, 2014 01:04

RobertJohnson
Another great Ronnie/Keith joint venture ... One of my favorites:

haha,, derriere du limon.

Date: May 10, 2014 02:38

DandelionPowderman
THAT is a great Ronnie-solo, Ming! grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 10, 2014 02:49

The solos hes been playing at the end of rambler recently are pretty sweet, hes finally managed to get a fat tone thanks to the les paul. No doubt taylors presence has been pushing him as well.

Date: May 10, 2014 11:40

Getting sober helped, way before Taylor joined.

Date: May 10, 2014 15:03

DandelionPowderman

This and getting married to a younger girl put some spark back into him. Atleast that is how I see it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2014 22:16

DandelionPowderman

Perhaps the biggest factor.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 10, 2014 23:33

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

It's a matter of consistency versus creativity. If drinking is involved anything can happen. When I saw the Faces in Offenhehiemer, Germany circa 1972, concert was magical. Of course, he was drinking along Rod.

The issue of dealing with folks that drink or do drugs is directly related to the unexpected I'm not saying it is good or bad, it's simply an unpredictable factor.

Date: May 11, 2014 00:01

It's not as easy dealing with it when you have been drinking for 40 years, as when it was when you were young smiling smiley

Date: May 11, 2014 01:00

Chris Fountain
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

It's a matter of consistency versus creativity. If drinking is involved anything can happen. When I saw the Faces in Offenhehiemer, Germany circa 1972, concert was magical. Of course, he was drinking along Rod.

The issue of dealing with folks that drink or do drugs is directly related to the unexpected I'm not saying it is good or bad, it's simply an unpredictable factor.

Well, I'm saying bad, in Wood's case. For years. But I am pleased he sorted it out and his playing is much better and more consistent than it has been in a very long time. Good for him.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 11, 2014 17:23

Probably posted already somewhere in the 32 pages, but here goes.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 11, 2014 19:03

71Tele
Chris Fountain
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Well, I'm saying bad, in Wood's case. For years. But I am pleased he sorted it out and his playing is much better and more consistent than it has been in a very long time. Good for him.
Playing sober or soberer is a great obstacle to overcome. When you "point of reference" is changed so dramatically it's easy to become overly self aware on stage. When driving regulations in New York tightened up I began to play without drinking at all and the voices in my head got loud. I can see it in all 3 guitarists in different ways and I think Ron is a step ahead of Taylor and Keith. For Richards I would not bet against some more great playing in the future. Although his fingers are clumsy he will get sharper. I can see his disappointment when he doesn't follow through on a solo like IORR at Glaston, he's got the heart to play better much better, he just needs two good fingers after all!

Date: May 11, 2014 23:01

DoomandGloom
71Tele
Chris Fountain
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Playing sober or soberer is a great obstacle to overcome. When you "point of reference" is changed so dramatically it's easy to become overly self aware on stage. When driving regulations in New York tightened up I began to play without drinking at all and the voices in my head got loud. I can see it in all 3 guitarists in different ways and I think Ron is a step ahead of Taylor and Keith. For Richards I would not bet against some more great playing in the future. Although his fingers are clumsy he will get sharper. I can see his disappointment when he doesn't follow through on a solo like IORR at Glaston, he's got the heart to play better much better, he just needs two good fingers after all!

That's a nice little theory you've got there, and maybe alcohol can loosen you up a little when playing. That's a far cry from decades of alcohol abuse, and if you really think that long-term use of alcohol didn't negatively impact both Keith and Ronnie's playing, then I think you are indulging in fantasy.

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 12, 2014 02:03

Of course the Stones at an average age of 70 can not match the youthful wildness of the late sixties and early seventies, even 81-82, the question is How good are they now without comparing them to their past? I was just listening to Hyde Park Live this morning and thinking about a few points. It's hard to listen to it without visualizing things like how grey and wrinkled Keith looks etc. Visualizations can prejudice our opinions about what we hear. Granted, Keith is not what he used to be but I think it's overkill to say things like he's a shell of his former self, etc. He's still pretty damn good, but in a more subtle way. My point is this - and I know I'm off the Woody topic here - Grab a good set of headphones and imagine you have no idea how old the Stones are or what they look like now, and just listen to the music. It's damn good, I think. And that guitarist in the right channel is pretty cool even if most of his licks are simple. And to get back on topic, that guitar in the left channel is pretty good and overall the music sounds real good. And I would say this band - who I have no idea of their age or looks are better than an awful lot of what passes for rock and roll these day. The Stones are pretty damn good.

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 12, 2014 02:37

FanOfGRARBITW
Of course the Stones at an average age of 70 can not match the youthful wildness of the late sixties and early seventies, even 81-82, the question is How good are they now without comparing them to their past? I was just listening to Hyde Park Live this morning and thinking about a few points. It's hard to listen to it without visualizing things like how grey and wrinkled Keith looks etc. Visualizations can prejudice our opinions about what we hear. Granted, Keith is not what he used to be but I think it's overkill to say things like he's a shell of his former self, etc. He's still pretty damn good, but in a more subtle way. My point is this - and I know I'm off the Woody topic here - Grab a good set of headphones and imagine you have no idea how old the Stones are or what they look like now, and just listen to the music. It's damn good, I think. And that guitarist in the right channel is pretty cool even if most of his licks are simple. And to get back on topic, that guitar in the left channel is pretty good and overall the music sounds real good. And I would say this band - who I have no idea of their age or looks are better than an awful lot of what passes for rock and roll these day. The Stones are pretty damn good.

Just like you, this is completely off-topic. You do make a really good point and the example I'm gonna post goes totally against what you say (sorry!), but I think this approach to this song could only have been pulled off by the 70-year old Keith:

I don't care what anyone else thinks, but to me, this is how blues should be played and sung, and it's something only Keith could do at this age. His voice and careful approach to playing just suits it perfectly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-12 02:40 by Bastion.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: May 12, 2014 03:40

All of the Ron Wood guitar solos are great.

Simply because Ron Wood has great taste.

His playing conveys that to my ears.

And as far as I'm concerned - is all that matters.

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 12, 2014 05:06

Bastion
FanOfGRARBITW

Just like you, this is completely off-topic. You do make a really good point and the example I'm gonna post goes totally against what you say (sorry!), but I think this approach to this song could only have been pulled off by the 70-year old Keith:

I don't care what anyone else thinks, but to me, this is how blues should be played and sung, and it's something only Keith could do at this age. His voice and careful approach to playing just suits it perfectly.

In a strange way both points of view have validity. On an old blues tune, Keith's age and life experience contributes greatly to the song. But still, Keith can also play the rockers with passion, even though his playing is more restrained and subtle these days. He still puts across the needed FEEL of the songs. To mention Hyde Park Live again, Keith plays very well IMO, but I wish he was mixed up louder
so people could hear that he's still a damn good rock and roll player.

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 12, 2014 08:05

Oh I love his playing these days it's fantastic, Street Fighting Man and those fills he plays on Bitch are more than enough evidence of that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-12 08:41 by Bastion.

Date: May 12, 2014 10:04

One of my favourite shows, and definitely one of my favourite Wild Horses-solos!

Posted by: brianjonestone ()
Date: May 12, 2014 11:14

The Greatest solo...?

The next one!!!

Looking foward to see them soon in Berlin, Rome and Stockholm!

Love

B

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 12, 2014 12:43

FanOfGRARBITW
Of course the Stones at an average age of 70 can not match the youthful wildness of the late sixties and early seventies, even 81-82, the question is How good are they now without comparing them to their past?

Yes but, and sorry here I go again, Ronnie was never as good as Taylor, sober or not. Taylor is just a so much better guitarist, he was a straight shooter from the start. Ronnie was hired for other and different reasons, one being his image, another his easygoing friendship with Jagger and Richards, his willingness to serve both masters with songs and good jokes and an already well known stage persona, a stage glimmer twin for Mick AND Keith. This happened only because Taylor suddenly left. Wood was part of a whole new stage band and sound. Ollie was significant, Preston had two solo numbers (Keith only one). 1975 and 1976 - as much as I love those tours - have nothing in common with the many colored shining brilliant 1969-1974.

Date: May 12, 2014 14:21

<Ronnie was never as good as Taylor>

So what? That's not what this thread is about. It's about this (some really tasty stuff from 6:45 and on):

Date: May 12, 2014 15:06

Powerage

Two mediocre solos. I'm sure both guitarists involved would agree smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 12, 2014 15:14

Redhotcarpet
Ronnie was never as good as Taylor, sober or not. Taylor is just a so much better guitarist, he was a straight shooter from the start.

Oranges and apples. Taylor is a better lead guitarist, Wood a better rhythm guitarist. I prefer rhythm/riff approach of Wood over Taylor's lead guitar.

Example: I prefer a 1978 Love in Vain over any Taylor Love in Vain.

Mathijs

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536Next
Current Page: 32 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home