Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536Next
Current Page: 34 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: May 13, 2014 03:12

TonyMo
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Powerage

Two mediocre solos. I'm sure both guitarists involved would agree smiling smiley

But one of those "mediocre solos" is a pearl compared to the real mediocre one.

Mediocre?? What are you smoking?

This solo is genius exemplified. After stating the opening theme from the Sticky Fingers version with a subtle and clever variation, Mick Taylor invents a stunningly unexpected and mind blowing minor third trill at :49 that is off the graph (it will influence a generation of rock guitarists should they hear it, that cannot be denied)... and what follows that?? ...roughly thirty seconds of awe. Note the delicacy of the descension employing the uber difficult 'pull-off' technique (1:03 to 1:07). It makes me say to myself 'YES!...only the man who played the solo on Time Waits For No One could do that!...again.

This passage is followed by another Mick Taylor signature move; the deceptively simple sounding triplets (1:07 to 1:12) One wishes to hear more of this innovative passage but Mick Taylor is only getting started. The next fifteen seconds take the solo to another creative high (like discovering an unexpected pastoral glen on your way to the summit of the mountain) as Mick Taylor takes advantage of the seldom used guitaristic technique of playing fretted notes in conjunction with open strings in the 'solo' setting. You can literally smell the fertile wheatgrass and red cedar. What will Mick Taylor think of next?

Well, the next fifteen or so seconds is yet another clever nod to the album version that ends somewhere around the D note at 1:46. Unfortunately it's at this point that the band starts to occasionally drop time (doubtless they are now paying more attention to the majesty of what they're hearing rather than concentrate on keeping rhythm- which I blame Daryl Jones for...after all, he hasn't heard this kind of soloing since he played with Miles Davis). 1:48 to 1:50 is indicative of this as Mick Taylor plays a few very melodic bended phrases as the band noticeably slows down.

Mick Taylor is a master of constructing a solo and in the next fifteen or so seconds, rather than heading for the 'summit '(if I may speak euphemistically)
he leads the team slightly back DOWN the mountain! Realizing the band has faltered he uses the next twenty five seconds (1:50 to 2:28) to allow Daryl Jones the chance to regain his footing by playing just enough to assure the latter that he's not in over his head. Daryl Jones was probably thinking to himself, 'that sounds really ordinary..okay, I can hang with Mick Taylor, all I have to do is concentrate!'). But then, at around 2:30, Mick Taylor explodes off the fretboard with a flurry of unparalleled lyricism (those descending pull-offs are sublime!) and a sustained climax (2:38 to 3:00) featuring the C and Ab/A notes in tandem. The aforementioned bend for most of twenty-two glorious seconds! Two words...GUITAR HEAVEN! Look at Keith Richards jealously roll his eyes at 2:53-ish. Envy.

Mick Taylor shows us his jazz chops from 3:00 to 3:06 (the path from the A note to the C -3:04- has John Coltrane written all over it) and he starts the band up the mountain again (3:07 to 3:14) with his revolutionary use of a C to D bend on the B string whilst simultaneously fretting the D on the E string. Seven seconds that seem an eternity yet pass by in a wink...my God! Mick Taylor then unleashes a torrent of triplet infused blues burn (he is a master of the pentatonic scale after all), gives another couple examples of the jazz minor scale...all of which resolves into a brilliant beautifully executed F-triplet(D-C-A), F- triplet, F- triplet, F-triplet, F-triplet..etc. F-triplet, F-triplet (3:25-3:34) so, so forth. The loopy Ron Wood could never do anything so learned.

From 3:35 to 3:40 Mick Taylor looks around as if to say, 'boys, I'm taking us home! ...and from 3:40 to 4:02 he carries the whole band to the summit with those scorching bends infused with rhythmic articulations worthy of Earl Palmer. Again the band seems to falter rhythmically as they are probably not used to 'playing with time' like someone who is as brilliant with rhythm as Mick Taylor is.

I'm of the belief that The Stones need to fire Daryl Jones, move Ron Wood to bass and unplug Keth's guitar and let Mick Taylor handle all the guitar work. The sooner the better.

TonyMo,

That was simply stunning - and just as this thread was becoming rather torn and frayed - a shot of salvation.
Your description should be capable of bringing the most hardened Taylor detractor to his knees in joyful tears of penitent confession .... but ....

No, taylor isn't a Santana-Messiah.
We know he isn't "rock'n'roll" but we Love him. (As do Ronnie. Keith, and Charlie.

Like you, I have my doubts about Darryl.
With regard to your suggestion of giving his job to a guitarist it has infact occurred to me that one 'ultiamte' solution is to keep Mick T, Ronnie and Keith on stage and they can take turns on bass while the other two do guitar duties.
Mick T on bass on eg TDice and fFile and other numbers on which he played studio bass. I believe Keith played bass on Silver Train. Ronnie on ER - and so on.

(This assumes that Bill is not willing and able ofcourse).

And we look forward to hearing a similarly accomplished musical critiques of a Ronnie solo .........

....... this must be a job for ........ Powderman

Date: May 13, 2014 08:35

They have to be judged within their own standards, like I wrote earlier. This is about aquired taste, not a contest. It's the Taylorites who want to make it a contest - in a Ronnie thread. Even now, when we have a Taylor-thread, you keep on comparing. It's this behaviour that is moronic, not mine. Has it crossed your minds that maybe 50 percent of the fans prefer Ronnie?

Take it to the other thread, please.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 13, 2014 08:43

Some of my favourite playing by our man Ron, he has just never really achieved that raw raunchy tone with the stones.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8V-ZKcODB8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 08:43 by erad.

Date: May 13, 2014 14:21

Embedding it for you, erad:

He has the same raunchy tone on LA Friday, though:

Date: May 13, 2014 14:28

Date: May 13, 2014 14:33

Finally, I found it on Youtube!

My favourite GS-solo. Check it out at 23:55:

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 13, 2014 16:16

DandelionPowderman
They have to be judged within their own standards, like I wrote earlier. This is about aquired taste, not a contest. It's the Taylorites who want to make it a contest - in a Ronnie thread. Even now, when we have a Taylor-thread, you keep on comparing. It's this behaviour that is moronic, not mine. Has it crossed your minds that maybe 50 percent of the fans prefer Ronnie?

Great argument, even decisive. grinning smiley

Date: May 13, 2014 16:28

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Great argument, even decisive. grinning smiley

The last word makes it not decisive smoking smiley

Posted by: SadDayBadDay ()
Date: May 13, 2014 16:32

DandelionPowderman

What percentage of non-fans prefer Ronnie? I think that is the bigger question.

Date: May 13, 2014 16:34

SadDayBadDay
DandelionPowderman

Exactly! That's why the Taylorites' posts are so damaging...

Imagine how many who potentially could be converted from non-fandom eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 16:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: SadDayBadDay ()
Date: May 13, 2014 16:37

DandelionPowderman
SadDayBadDay
DandelionPowderman

Exactly! That's why the Taylorites' posts are so damaging...

Imagine how many who potentially could be converted from non-fandom eye rolling smiley

Ok. I'll start imagining, but I need to take care of few errands in a bit, so I'll finish up later in the week.

Date: May 13, 2014 16:37

Do that..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 13, 2014 17:48

Well dont do that, don't do that ah don't do that, don't you don't you do that...

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: May 14, 2014 01:14

DandelionPowderman

It's not a contest.
It's not all Us and Them. It's not even about who fans (in any percentage) prefer, is it?
Good solos by either may crop up anywhere - is this to be outlawed or policed?

I was just knocked out by the person's analysis of the solo.
He really took the time and trouble to knowledgeably explain his enthusiasm.
It may not have been necessary - in fact it wasn't called for - to say that Keith should switch to bass - though in fact this would infact open up new avenues of Ron and Taylor knocking stuff off each other.
What was interesting however was how Keith and Ron virtually stopped playing nad left it to Taylor.
What I noticed too was that Taylor was wanting to direct his playing towards Mick - looking for him to engage with - as on Rambler.

The Taylor-Jagger musical connection is a and WAS very strong in a way that the Ronnie Mick connection hasn't been. It is interesting to observe. But here Mick seems to be avoiding close eye contact - perhaps he wishes the other two guitarists to be more proactive. Interesting live stuff in these latter days.

I'm wanting them to do Stop Breaking Down with Taylor. Ronnie on bass!

Date: May 14, 2014 09:42

<What was interesting however was how Keith and Ron virtually stopped playing nad left it to Taylor.
What I noticed too was that Taylor was wanting to direct his playing towards Mick - looking for him to engage with - as on Rambler.>

They did the same when Ronnie played the solo on CYHMK, it's just how the arrangement is nowadays.

I expect TonyMo to be a former poster who is having a lot of fun with his posts in this thread. Especially the part where he says that kleermaker can read music and that he plays the violin fluently. He has a couple of other slips as well. You've been pranked smiling smiley

Date: May 14, 2014 10:40

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 14, 2014 12:12

TonyMo

This solo is genius exemplified. After stating the opening theme from the Sticky Fingers version with a subtle and clever variation, Mick Taylor invents a stunningly unexpected and mind blowing minor third trill at :49 that is off the graph...................

[....]

No offense, but to me, this kind of analysis takes all the pleasure out of the solo.

Date: May 14, 2014 12:16

matxil
TonyMo

This solo is genius exemplified. After stating the opening theme from the Sticky Fingers version with a subtle and clever variation, Mick Taylor invents a stunningly unexpected and mind blowing minor third trill at :49 that is off the graph...................

[....]

No offense, but to me, this kind of analysis takes all the pleasure out of the solo.

The analysis is not correct in any way, either smiling smiley

Date: May 15, 2014 11:56

Because of the weaving I'm posting this one in both the Keith and the Ronnie-thread smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 12:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 15, 2014 12:48

Doxa
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Powerage

Two mediocre solos. I'm sure both guitarists involved would agree smiling smiley

But one of those "mediocre solos" is a pearl compared to the real mediocre one.

Of course, you are right. One doesn't need to understand much of music to see the difference in there. The difference in pure musicality, musical imagination, feeling, touch, technics, the ability to carry a band, and improvisation... That has nothing to do with personal taste, of how it moves one... I like Ronnie, and his stuff there, but jeez.... some perspect in subjectivity, people.. I do understand that Dandie is world's biggest Ronnie Wood fan, and doesn't much appreciate Mick Taylor, but c'mon... grinning smiley

- Doxa

YES Doxa >grinning smiley<.

Date: May 15, 2014 14:32

<I do understand that Dandie is world's biggest Ronnie Wood fan, and doesn't much appreciate Mick Taylor, but c'mon...>

LOL! You should join our newspaper - or wait, join a more tabloid one! grinning smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 15, 2014 14:49

Doxa
Thanks, Stoneburst. I have never seen that footage, and "Seven Days" is one of my favourite songs! Nice to hear a 'proper' singer singing it for a chance (sorry Bob & Ronnie...)grinning smiley And what a band!

But Ronnie... Eric gives him room, winks that now is time to do your solo thing, but Ronnie... freezes totally.>grinning smiley<

But aside - or due to - that, the guys are having fun, and that is what matters.thumbs up

- Doxa

Ronnie routinely seems to do that, although it didn't hurt really on that occasion...odd, but off hand, I recall Bonnie Raitt with the Stones doing Shine a Light and Jagger calls for the guitars, and more recently McCartney prompting him on Get Back. Recall also Ronnie stating in an interview that he forgot how Miss You goes while on stage playing it with Prince. Sometimes I believe thats one part of the problem for Ronnie... and why it seems he is playing some other song than the rest of the Stones...

Date: May 15, 2014 15:07

Date: May 15, 2014 15:11

DandelionPowderman
<I do understand that Dandie is world's biggest Ronnie Wood fan, and doesn't much appreciate Mick Taylor, but c'mon...>

LOL! You should join our newspaper - or wait, join a more tabloid one! grinning smiley

Dandie is in the first place a Keith man. All those who serve Keith are his favourites, thus also Ronnie a lot. Taylor is of course his last 'favourite' (ex)Stone. It says all.

Date: May 15, 2014 15:14

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Dandie is in the first place a Keith man. All those who serve Keith are his favourites, thus also Ronnie a lot. Taylor is of course his last 'favourite' (ex)Stone. It says all.

All of them are my favourites, but my call is to keep things within proportions. The Stones have never been Mick Taylor's backing group - an impression one easily gets by reading your posts, kleerie smiling smiley

But you're right about Keith. No Keith, no Stones.

Date: May 15, 2014 15:21

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

All of them are my favourites, but my call is to keep things within proportions. The Stones have never been Mick Taylor's backing group - an impression one easily gets by reading your posts, kleerie smiling smiley

But you're right about Keith. No Keith, no Stones.

Nonsense, see so many other great bands. But fact is that Taylor is the last in your Stones book. And that has nothing to do with my preference (Taylor not being my favourite Stone btw) or your strange impression.

Date: May 15, 2014 15:29

Strange impression? Who said "Mick Taylor and his Rolling Stones"?

Your obsession with Mick Taylor is unhealthy, try Ron Wood winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 15:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2014 15:34

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

>grinning smiley<

Well, this reminds me a tongue-in-cheek profile of "Woodite" I did a year ago here, pretty much having certain certain strong writers here in my mind... I trust the sense of humour of Dandie, Mathijs and other respected contributors here to copypaste it here:

I guess this new term "Richardite" is just pseudonym a for "Woodite" or "Woodist". The logic of "Woodism" is that there is no other effective musical force than Richards (and Jagger in lesser degree) in The Rolling Stones, which could have something significant to offer to their music. Ronnie Wood is a perfect Rolling Stone for them, since he doesn't challenge The Big Boys any way, but is their humble servant. "Woodism" does not have directly a substance of its own, but expresses certain blind worship of The Glimmer Twins, and owns a very simple but "official" interpretation of band's music and history. Whereas "Taylorism" and "Brianjonesism" seriously challenge the picture of Richards and Jagger being alone responsible for the greatness of the music of The Rolling Stones. The typical feature of "Woodism" in practise is systematically belittle the contributions and significance of Brian Jones and Mick Taylor in the history of The Rolling Stones. Now and then.

A pure tabloid stuff, no?>grinning smiley<smiling smiley

But I have an idea to illustrate "Taylorite" in such terms as well (Dandie gave a good hint for that), so laugh while you can Kleerie...winking smiley But there are other interesting profiles to construct as well, such as "Anti-Vegasism"tongue sticking out smiley... We Stones fans are a funny bunch of people...smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 15:38 by Doxa.

Date: May 15, 2014 15:41

DandelionPowderman
Strange impression? Who said "Mick Taylor and his Rolling Stones"?

Your obsession with Mick Taylor is unhealthy, try Ron Wood winking smiley

You took the bite quite easily. grinning smiley

As for trying Ron Wood, it would be the same as asking to trade Mozart in for Salieri.

Date: May 15, 2014 15:45

Doxa
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

>grinning smiley<

Well, this reminds me a tongue-in-cheek profile of "Woodite" I did a year ago here, pretty much having certain certain strong writers here in my mind... I trust the sense of humour of Dandie, Mathijs and other respected contributors here to copypaste it here:

I guess this new term "Richardite" is just pseudonym a for "Woodite" or "Woodist". The logic of "Woodism" is that there is no other effective musical force than Richards (and Jagger in lesser degree) in The Rolling Stones, which could have something significant to offer to their music. Ronnie Wood is a perfect Rolling Stone for them, since he doesn't challenge The Big Boys any way, but is their humble servant. "Woodism" does not have directly a substance of its own, but expresses certain blind worship of The Glimmer Twins, and owns a very simple but "official" interpretation of band's music and history. Whereas "Taylorism" and "Brianjonesism" seriously challenge the picture of Richards and Jagger being alone responsible for the greatness of the music of The Rolling Stones. The typical feature of "Woodism" in practise is systematically belittle the contributions and significance of Brian Jones and Mick Taylor in the history of The Rolling Stones. Now and then.

A pure tabloid stuff, no?>grinning smiley<smiling smiley

But I have an idea to illustrate "Taylorite" in such terms as well (Dandie gave a good hint for that), so laugh while you can Kleerie...winking smiley But there are other interesting profiles to construct as well, such as "Anti-Vegasism"tongue sticking out smiley... We Stones fans are a funny bunch of people...smileys with beer

- Doxa

Your definition is not only very clever but also damned true. It's deadly too. Now you may say anything you want about Mick Taylor. grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536Next
Current Page: 34 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home