Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 7, 2014 02:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 12:09 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 7, 2014 02:40

Redhotcarpet
RobertJohnson
LuxuryStones
Mathijs
I never liked I'm Free for example: that song drags, and I don't like Taylor's approach to it.
Mathijs

One has to be rather cold blooded not to feel or at least not to understand the musical warmth / melodic romance Taylor is adding here.

In fact ... One of MT's very ingenious contributions ... But also I like Keith's heavy rhythm-guitar on this track during the 69 tour (San Diego, Boston, if I remember right), that contrasts the brilliance of Taylor's lead in a specific way.

This is f-in fantastic! Never heard it before. VEry very cool version. Jagger could have done more on this one. MIssed oppurtunity on Jagger. What a f-in awesome guitar track.

It's from the Oakland shows. Those solos are expressing freedom imo. Here are both renditions:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 7, 2014 02:50

A song called I'm Free calls for freedom of expression.

They were free to sing and play out of tune on the studio version... and did so. hehe.

Date: May 7, 2014 05:09

His Majesty
As for Rolling Stones guitar solos, Brian showed how it should/could be done back in 1963...

Excitingly racous, positively distinctive... it is melodic, to the point, has a beginning and an end.

Elmore James doing a Beatles melody, the old and the new brought together in new and exciting way.

It some what has a partner in 1969... It's almost as if it's the same player as he developed a few years later.

So good, they spliced it on again. winking smiley

I now feel there is quite a musical lineage between Jones and Taylor in that Taylor is almost the kind of guitarist Jones could have been had Jones applied his thirst for adventure and his musicality to just the guitar.

smoking smiley

I don't feel that; the lineage from Jones to Taylor. And I can't even quite put it into words why I dont see the sequence. I think Brian basically would ARRIVE at a note; at the end or meaning of a phrase. Whereas with Taylor I get more of a sense of liquid; of fluidity. More impatience; with Brian I think I feel that he may go "ah; that felt good,let's have a snack before going on to next phrase.."
I know this doesn't make much sense; it's just the feeling I get from their respective music. It's even in the way they hold and manipulate the actual slide. maybe it's just that Brian was way more the showman. he'd go "here check it out. This is me, and this is what I say to you with the slide"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 7, 2014 07:39

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
True, they started slow in '69, but so what? This was the first time ever on the road in the "modern era" of concerts. New amps, new PA rigs, new audiences, new guitarist. So they took a little time to gell and people find this something to criticize? I wish we had the evolution in playing on the tours from 1975-on, but of course we don't. As for Keith peaking in '75, the only thing that peaked for him then was his heroin use.

It wasn't criticism, just pointing out that you can't judge an entire tour by its best show only.

I love this tour myself, and find it among the three best tours they ever did.

PS: I think Keith peaked in 77, heroin-wise winking smiley He had big problems in 73.

Perhaps you sometimes focus on the details of what I say rather than the larger point, or perhaps I don't communicate as well as I think. I should have said that the heroin use affected his playing more in '75 than in '73, because I think it's obvious it did. You are likely right that his "use" peaked in '77.

He played more, better and more adventurous in 75, imo, so it's hard for me to see that. Loved his sound as well.

OK. I saw it up close and personal when his adventurousness seemed remarkably like nodding out. But I am sure other shows were different.

Side note: No thread where I criticize Wood's playing is complete without Max'sKansasCity screaming bloody murder and calling me every name in the book. I kind of miss the bastard. smoking smiley

Tele, you are EVERY NAME IN THE BOOK!!!
rar rar rarRARARRARAR RAR!! grinning smiley lol.... smileys with beer

If there were 2 guys I know I would enjoy drinking a beer(or 10) with, it is the two good men quoted above. It would be great if more here were as awesome as these have proven to be.

Date: May 7, 2014 08:37

Good to see you back, Max! smileys with beer

I broke the forum rules to touch base, and there you are - great! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 10:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 7, 2014 10:17

He's back! smileys with beer

Date: May 7, 2014 10:18

His Majesty
A song called I'm Free calls for freedom of expression.

They were free to sing and play out of tune on the studio version... and did so. hehe.

They kept on doing that until the Stripped version grinning smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2014 11:53

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
True, they started slow in '69, but so what? This was the first time ever on the road in the "modern era" of concerts. New amps, new PA rigs, new audiences, new guitarist. So they took a little time to gell and people find this something to criticize? I wish we had the evolution in playing on the tours from 1975-on, but of course we don't. As for Keith peaking in '75, the only thing that peaked for him then was his heroin use.

It wasn't criticism, just pointing out that you can't judge an entire tour by its best show only.

I love this tour myself, and find it among the three best tours they ever did.

PS: I think Keith peaked in 77, heroin-wise winking smiley He had big problems in 73.

Perhaps you sometimes focus on the details of what I say rather than the larger point, or perhaps I don't communicate as well as I think. I should have said that the heroin use affected his playing more in '75 than in '73, because I think it's obvious it did. You are likely right that his "use" peaked in '77.

He played more, better and more adventurous in 75, imo, so it's hard for me to see that. Loved his sound as well.

OK. I saw it up close and personal when his adventurousness seemed remarkably like nodding out. But I am sure other shows were different.

Side note: No thread where I criticize Wood's playing is complete without Max'sKansasCity screaming bloody murder and calling me every name in the book. I kind of miss the bastard. smoking smiley

Tele, you are EVERY NAME IN THE BOOK!!!
rar rar rarRARARRARAR RAR!! grinning smiley lol.... smileys with beer

If there were 2 guys I know I would enjoy drinking a beer(or 10) with, it is the two good men quoted above. It would be great if more here were as awesome as these have proven to be.

Hey Max! Great to know you're still here. And I hope you know I meant "bastard" affectionately!

Date: May 7, 2014 12:41

This one's for you, Max:

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 7, 2014 16:04

I admire Taylor's playing to no end and think he's the best pure musician the Stones had/have, but our man Woody is Rock N Roll through and through in a way Taylor simply isn't. He's also capable of soulful, creative soloing when he puts his head and heart into it.

The OCD arrangements of latter day tours need more of the je ne sais quoi that Taylor brings but I simply can't imagine the Stones without Woody, but then again, Some Girls was my discovering-the-Stones-as-a-kid album.

Date: May 7, 2014 19:55

71Tele

Hey Max! Great to know you're still here. And I hope you know I meant "bastard" affectionately!
Ya bastard, time to switch keyboards, time for your piano lesson...
practice practice practice... that piano aint gonna play itself, unless it does.

Date: May 7, 2014 19:55

DandelionPowderman
This one's for you, Max:

Izzy!!!

Date: May 7, 2014 21:08

Max'sKansasCity
DandelionPowderman
This one's for you, Max:

Izzy!!!

With a cool duet partner and solo guitarist that seemingly only a few of us appreciate... smiling smiley

Date: May 7, 2014 22:18

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

Ya bastard, time to switch keyboards, time for your piano lesson...
practice practice practice... that piano aint gonna play itself, unless it does.

No, it doesn't, and I suck at piano. By the way, speaking of pianos, I was in Abbey Road studio #2 on Sunday and they had many of the keyboards that were played on Beatle sessions: The Hammond B3, the grand piano, the celeste, etc. I think Paul got the Mellotron. That one wasn't there. Glad you're here Max. This place isn't the same without you.

Date: May 7, 2014 22:22

That must have been a great experience, Tele!

Date: May 7, 2014 22:27

Macca got the mellotron that was used on The Beatles aka white album. smiling smiley

Date: May 7, 2014 22:45

His Majesty
Macca got the mellotron that was used on The Beatles aka white album. smiling smiley

Smae one as used on Strawberry Field, right?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 7, 2014 22:46

Nice to see you back, His Majesty! You were missed.

- Doxa

Date: May 7, 2014 22:53

71Tele
His Majesty

Smae one as used on Strawberry Field, right?

No, that was a rented one and looked like the usual MKII mellotrons... like so.

The white album one macca got is the grey one (they are usually just an effects unit with doors slamming, horses, trains etc, but customised for Abbey Road to have lead instruments) you see him demoing in recent years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 23:18 by His Majesty.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 7, 2014 22:55

McCartney acquired the gray Mellotron that EMI bought in 1968.
The one used during 1967 was a rented one.

Date: May 7, 2014 22:59

Doxa
Nice to see you back, His Majesty! You were missed.

- Doxa

So were you lot! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 23:04 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 7, 2014 22:59

Ron Wood solos????I thought he just waved and smoked cigarettes on stage. Just kidding, just kidding!

Date: May 7, 2014 23:06

DandelionPowderman

I felt the presence of the Lord, DP. Praise Jesus.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 7, 2014 23:14

Mellotron:
The "Samba" sound

Starts at Ringos: "Dont forget the apples..."

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 7, 2014 23:15

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I felt the presence of the Lord, DP. Praise Jesus.

Were you all allowed to touch anything or was it all "beyond the velvet rope"?

I was actually granted the privilege of crossing the velvet rope at JS Bach's grave years ago. I knelt and, even though I knew better, touched his grave and hoped that "something" might transfer. Pretty sure that nothing came my direction but still hope that "somewhere out there" his spirit knew of the love and admiration that mine was sending his direction.

Touching or no-touching, I still wish I could have been with you on the tour of Abbey Rd #2!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 7, 2014 23:22

Redhotcarpet
Mellotron:
The "Samba" sound

Starts at Ringos: "Dont forget the apples..."

Here's a demo I did using MKII samples rhythms, fills and lead sounds. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 23:29 by His Majesty.

Date: May 7, 2014 23:31

Definitely behind the rope. I wanted to touch the keyboards but people were watching. I did go up the stairs to the control room, but could not enter the Holy of Holies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 23:34 by 71Tele.

Date: May 7, 2014 23:32

Did Brian's We Love You mellotron part using that sample disc as well.

cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 23:36 by His Majesty.

Date: May 7, 2014 23:34

His Majesty
Look again just to make sure you are meaning the right youtube clip?

yes, saw that and deleted my comment. Very cool.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home