Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 17 of 18
Re: Toronto-1 May 25 Stones show live updates
Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: May 28, 2013 00:07

Way cool, BV. If and when you get around to that put me at the top of the list for that one. I'll be here. Love this place. Thanks for the response and everything else you do here.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 00:07

DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
DoomandGloom
The large screen is a little ahead.

duh...it's smart tv
yeah it knows where they are going ahead of time.

fantastic ! then sure they could edit out mistakes live on the stage!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2013 00:49

straycatblues73
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
DoomandGloom
The large screen is a little ahead.

duh...it's smart tv
yeah it knows where they are going ahead of time.

fantastic ! then sure they could edit out mistakes live on the stage!

They already do that. They even have enough time to have Blondie fill in Keith's mistakes...he's in a remote location in South Africa, watching the whole thing on an even smarter tv that's about 5 minutes ahead of the show.

Posted by: Powerage5 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 01:27

Here's a few more of my Toronto pics:

More to come still smiling smiley

Date: May 28, 2013 01:31

Powerage5
Here's a few more of my Toronto pics:

More to come still smiling smiley

Purple is the color of royalty. Mick wears it so well.

Posted by: Somegirl66 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 01:45

Us vancouver island girls made it on the news (briefly!) below check out the 34 second mark..that's me holding the banner..my friend was cut off ):

[www.ctvnews.ca]

Toronto was so wonderful to us! what a friendly town and happy to report there were no serious Torontonians sitting around us..everyone danced and sang all night long!!
wooohooo!!!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 28, 2013 03:43

laertisflash
Here are excerpts from reviews of the Toronto concert on May 25, 2013:

Toronto Globe and Mail:

"The race is over, the victory lap is happening, and for the first time in many, many years, it felt like time was back on the Stones’s side ... But at the ACC, this time around, with no new meaningless album to promote and no points to make, the concert was a pressure’s-off celebration, with the rhythm section of drummer Charlie Watts and bassist Darryl Jones nimbly supplying the groove. Greying guitarist Keith Richards, sloppy but passable, was not the tough-guy pirate with the skull ring on his knobby fingers anymore ... The vibe is looser now, with the former bad boys no longer needing to play to an image (or even a stature, really)."

Toronto Star:

"Toronto welcomed home its favourite foreign musical sons as The Rolling Stones brought their 50 & Counting tour to the Air Canada Centre on Saturday night in front of some 13,000 fans ... 'It’s great to be back in Toronto,' said Jagger initially before screwing up the venue and then correcting himself. 'It’s great to be back at the Rogers, I mean, the Air Canada Centre.' Forgetful, maybe briefly, and wrinkly, definitely, but the Stones still have plenty of heart, soul and seemingly boundless energy as the foursome was joined by bassist Darryl Jones, keyboardist Chuck Leavell, backup singers Bernard Fowler and Lisa Fischer and saxophonists Bobby Keys and Tim Ries." (Rating 4 out of 4 stars)

Canadian Press:

"And pricey though it is, the Stones' show remains something to behold ... It's natural to assume that a band celebrating its 50th anniversary would be slowed severely by time. And yet, guitarist Keith Richards — who's 69 but looks older, with a face marked by grooves as deep and worn as a first vinyl pressing of "12 X 5" — and 65-year-old Ron Wood conjured spiralling, sinewy guitar riffs with as much power as ever, while 71-year-old drummer Charlie Watts still seemed unflappable almost to the point of mild boredom. While those Stones didn't roll so much as stay more or less stationary, Jagger — set to turn 70 in a matter of months — proved he's still an electric presence. Initially clad in a purple velvet jacket and matching silk shirt with black trousers so tight those in the front row could likely count the change in his pocket, Jagger made it clear that he's the engine powering this band as its odometer ticks up into the hundreds of thousands of kilometres."

Hehe, Canadian journalists are pretty "tongue in cheek" aren't they!

Date: May 28, 2013 03:49

gotdablouse
laertisflash
Here are excerpts from reviews of the Toronto concert on May 25, 2013:

Toronto Globe and Mail:

"The race is over, the victory lap is happening, and for the first time in many, many years, it felt like time was back on the Stones’s side ... But at the ACC, this time around, with no new meaningless album to promote and no points to make, the concert was a pressure’s-off celebration, with the rhythm section of drummer Charlie Watts and bassist Darryl Jones nimbly supplying the groove. Greying guitarist Keith Richards, sloppy but passable, was not the tough-guy pirate with the skull ring on his knobby fingers anymore ... The vibe is looser now, with the former bad boys no longer needing to play to an image (or even a stature, really)."

Toronto Star:

"Toronto welcomed home its favourite foreign musical sons as The Rolling Stones brought their 50 & Counting tour to the Air Canada Centre on Saturday night in front of some 13,000 fans ... 'It’s great to be back in Toronto,' said Jagger initially before screwing up the venue and then correcting himself. 'It’s great to be back at the Rogers, I mean, the Air Canada Centre.' Forgetful, maybe briefly, and wrinkly, definitely, but the Stones still have plenty of heart, soul and seemingly boundless energy as the foursome was joined by bassist Darryl Jones, keyboardist Chuck Leavell, backup singers Bernard Fowler and Lisa Fischer and saxophonists Bobby Keys and Tim Ries." (Rating 4 out of 4 stars)

Canadian Press:

"And pricey though it is, the Stones' show remains something to behold ... It's natural to assume that a band celebrating its 50th anniversary would be slowed severely by time. And yet, guitarist Keith Richards — who's 69 but looks older, with a face marked by grooves as deep and worn as a first vinyl pressing of "12 X 5" — and 65-year-old Ron Wood conjured spiralling, sinewy guitar riffs with as much power as ever, while 71-year-old drummer Charlie Watts still seemed unflappable almost to the point of mild boredom. While those Stones didn't roll so much as stay more or less stationary, Jagger — set to turn 70 in a matter of months — proved he's still an electric presence. Initially clad in a purple velvet jacket and matching silk shirt with black trousers so tight those in the front row could likely count the change in his pocket, Jagger made it clear that he's the engine powering this band as its odometer ticks up into the hundreds of thousands of kilometres."

Hehe, Canadian journalists are pretty "tongue in cheek" aren't they!

Also a bunch of maggots, according to the crack-addicted mayor:

[www.ctvnews.ca]

Posted by: Powerage5 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 04:19

More of my pics:

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 28, 2013 05:44

bv
admorgan
bv

- Did you know that the Rolling Stones do not change the set list much during a tour; that it has been their modus operandi for 50 years? That they have played the very same set list at every show in past tours?

Not true at all. It is a similar setlist for each tour, but normally changes by 2 or 3 songs from night to night.

That is for the past 10-15 years. And fact is they played "Angie" and "SFM" for the first time on the major stage on this tour in Toronto.

This is the 50 and counting tour. Check out set lists from 1969, 1972, 1973, 1976, 1981, 1982 and so on. They don't change much.

Should they take out ER? A very popular song? Or MR? Or BS? It is easy to ask for changes, you might even change to a new wife, but then you must look into what is happening with the current wife, the current songs, what to remove, it's a hard choice.

I remember they shipped "Sympathy" in Warsaw. A strange show but correct for that particular show. But if they took our Rambler and Satisfaction in Toronto many fans would be disappointed.

The solution is quite simple. Play 30 songs. Adding about six or more songs adds about 20 minutes or so. They have plenty of three minute or less songs to work in for everyone to enjoy.

It is just as simple as the decision to increase ticket prices by 500%. They found the courage and audacity to do that. That is a lot of money to ask people to part with and to provide no additional return.

Posted by: baldboy ()
Date: May 28, 2013 06:34

I know (I think) you guys are kidding around but mistakes are good; I don't want studio perfection when I go to a live show. I want a real, live show, mistakes, extended pieces, slightly different arrangements if it suits the band (remember If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud combo 1975-76 tour). Rock and roll is not a 'perfect' music and that's why it's, well, er, perfect. If I want the studio track, I'll listen to the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 06:56 by baldboy.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 28, 2013 07:56

Somegirl66
Us vancouver island girls made it on the news (briefly!) below check out the 34 second mark..that's me holding the banner..my friend was cut off ):

[www.ctvnews.ca]

Toronto was so wonderful to us! what a friendly town and happy to report there were no serious Torontonians sitting around us..everyone danced and sang all night long!!
wooohooo!!!

Hey Somegirl66, you are hot! There is a song in there somewhere.. lol I am thrilled that you enjoyed the show!

Imagine you could time travel back to the 1960s and tell the boys about the kinds of shows and productions that they would eventually be putting on. Las Vegas aside, when I first laid eyes on the Steel Wheels stage I was shocked at how massive it was and how overwhelming everything was from a "show" perspective.

But.... when you look at Gimme Shelter and see people right up to the stage that's only at chest level, that's the real real rock 'n' roll concert experience. I guess both eras have their plusses and minuses.

All in all, notwithstanding the bitching and whining, some of it justified, the Rolling Stones are going out on a roll, and we should all thank them profusely for that!

MileHigh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 08:21 by MileHigh.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 28, 2013 10:47

Listening to Angie right now (full concert available here : [www.iorr.org]) and it's pretty decent even though it was off to a "ragged" start courtesy of Keith on acoustic I suppose? His SFM intro sounds a lot better!

Posted by: Somegirl66 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 21:17

MileHigh
Somegirl66

[www.ctvnews.ca]

wooohooo!!!

Hey Somegirl66, you are hot! There is a song in there somewhere.. lol I am thrilled that you enjoyed the show!

Imagine you could time travel back to the 1960s and tell the boys about the kinds of shows and productions that they would eventually be putting on. Las Vegas aside, when I first laid eyes on the Steel Wheels stage I was shocked at how massive it was and how overwhelming everything was from a "show" perspective.

But.... when you look at Gimme Shelter and see people right up to the stage that's only at chest level, that's the real real rock 'n' roll concert experience. I guess both eras have their plusses and minuses.

All in all, notwithstanding the bitching and whining, some of it justified, the Rolling Stones are going out on a roll, and we should all thank them profusely for that!

MileHigh

Why thank you Milehigh. "Pile it up! Pile it high on the platter!" (0:

Posted by: Fiji Jim ()
Date: May 28, 2013 23:01

Back home again after a short and intense Toronto weekend.

This was my 9th Stones concert and the first since the A Bigger Bang final in London 2007. I thought London would be the last I saw of the boys and the sad thing was that I did not think the went out very well. I saw three shows on The A Bigger Bang tour and by the time they reached Stockholm and London in 2007 they were, in my opinion, less than impressive. The reason for this could (and has been) debated, my take on it is that especially Keith had severe drinking problems at the time (yes, I think Swedish journalist Marcus Larsson made a corect analysis).

Now, I'm absolutely mesmerized by what I thought was a very nice performance. I have never seen them so happy and relaxed on stage. Guitars were raw, upfront and very loud. Long gone was the overblown horn section etc that has dominated the sound on recent tours and yes both Keith and Ronnie were much more focused on playing and less posing and goofing around.

Highlights for me was Street Fighting Man, never heard it so raw, and yes it barely held together towards the end but i liked it. Midnight Rambler of course, Angie and Emotional Rescue for being first time in concert for me.

Yes, there were occasional flaws and bum notes. I thought Gimmie Shelter was a near disaster (not sure what went on there) and IORR was less inspired although I acctually think Carrie Underwood was ok. Keith is still really good at chopping out hard rhythms but his solo skills although much improved since the last tour has decreased considerably in the last ten years. But overall really good and in my top three!

Next up, Hyde Park (if the ticket ever are delivered)

Look forward to following Chicago tonight

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 29, 2013 01:26

Thinking back on it, the show kinda ebbed and flowed with Keith. There were moments when he was locked in and it was great. Without knowing a whole lot about music theory, it's something one feels. A familiarity: "ah, now that's the Stones!". It might be all or part of a song and that feeling alone made it worth going. There was also plenty of "it kinda sorta sounds right... I think" where you give the benefit of the doubt because the atmosphere is fun and hey, it is neat to be seeing the Stones again. And there were a few "what the f*ck was that?" moments when it sounded a mess.
(This is if you exclude some of more common grievances such as Chuck's plinking, Mick's over e-nun-see-ay-shun etc)

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 29, 2013 03:38

Somegirl66
Why thank you Milehigh. "Pile it up! Pile it high on the platter!" (0:

Hey I will play the bad boy and quote you some old disco!

She’s a bad mama jama
Just as fine as she can be, hey
She’s a bad mama jama
Just as fine as she can be

Her body measurements are perfect in every dimension
She’s got a figure that’s sho’ ‘nuff gettin’ attention
She’s poetry in motion, a beautiful sight to see
I get so excited viewin’ her anatomy

- She's a Bad Mama Jama by Carl Carlton!

You never know your tukus might make it onto the 50 and Counting BluRay! lol

Nice to see that you made a banner and have Stones spirit!

MileHigh

It's Only Rock 'N' Roll? I think not. The Rolling Stones – Toronto 5/25/13. A Review
Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: May 29, 2013 07:19

Hopefully positive reviews are allowed...

Wow. Hoooooly shit.

I've dreamed of this night for years, never expecting it to actually happen. I've gone to the movies to watch a live broadcast of the Stones rock Rio, and see them play an intimate show at the Beacon Theater in Shine a Light. I thought that was going to be the closest I'd ever get. I would listen to these songs and just imagine what it must be like to see them live. I finally became content with the fact that you can't always get what you want.

But if you try sometimes…

I walk into the Air Canada Center on Saturday. My heart racing. I still can't believe what's about to unfold. This fantasy that I've dream about for years was about to become this thing that we call reality. I had been counting the minutes since I bought the tickets in April. I was unable to function properly for these past two months. I could barely listen to songs like Tumbling Dice or Gimme Shelter without passing out from excitement. I still didn't believe it was really going to happen. Was I being punked?

The Rolling Stones. Live. Tonight.

Are you @#$%& kidding me?

I find my seat and settle in. I had to split up the tickets between my group because I couldn't get any together. I sit down and see the stage. Perfect view, albeit from the side. The huge lips. The tongue pit. Pinch me. No wait, don’t. Let me live this illusion.

I'm clearly freaking out with excitement, and the girl sitting next to me knew it. Another 20something who was with her girlfriend and was also seeing them for the first time shared in my insane excitement and overwhelming sense of anxiety over waiting for what was about to unfold. We talked until the show started. I tell her that I've been waiting for this night for years. She smiles and says "Same here." In front of us was a teenage girl with her dad who was seeing them for the first time unable to sit still, literally shaking with excitement waiting for her idols to come on stage. It was a good section. We were gonna have some fun tonight.

Lights go down.

"Ladies and gentlemen… The Rolling Stones."

From here on out I'm convinced that I was dreaming. From the first note of Keith's guitar to the first strut of Jagger, I didn't think it was real. It was literally a fantasy coming to life. I was overwhelmed. I started to cry a little. It was mystical. For two hours and ten minutes, life was elevated to something more. It was one of those situations in life where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There were a few duds in the set (You Got Me Rockin' and Emotional Rescue) but it didn't matter. It was perfect. I couldn't have asked for more. I had set such insanely high expectations for this night, and the boys surpassed them by leaps and bounds.

To list the highlights is almost impossible. Here's just a few: The callback of Get Off My Cloud. Gimme Shelter and Paint It Black back to back. Street Fighting Man getting played. Mick Taylor playing on my all time favorite Stones song, Midnight Rambler (quite possibly the best ten minutes of my life). Keef pulling out the killer You Got the Silver. Singing Tumbling Dice's chorus that I've sung in my car roughly 200 times. Sympathy for the @#$%& Devil.

The group around me was excellent and shared in the experience. The girl in front of me was hugging her dad while watching all of her dreams come true. The girl next to me bowing after Honky Tonk Woman in honor of what she was watching. The handicapped dude close to me singing along to Start Me Up. The 40 year old guy a couple rows up going nuts for every song and trying to get everyone to sing along. It was an incredible experience. A real "up with people" thing if I've ever seen one – and I say this as a raging misanthrope.

After the main set ends, we all had about a couple minutes to collect our breath and get ready for the encore. Exhausted from two hours of nonstop dancing, moving, and singing, we're all completely in disbelief of what we've just seen. Then the choir starts up for You Can't Always Get What You Want. The girl next to me starts to cry. "I can't even handle this. It's too much" she says. She was right.

Jumpin' Jack Flash and Satisfaction end it. A better one-two punch to end a show I've never seen. It's over. And I still don't believe it ever happened. Girl next to me grabs me for a hug. "I just closed my eyes for the last two minute and let it wash over me" she says. This wasn't just a concert, no. This is not the reaction to rock songs played in an arena. This was an experience. A cosmic event. A monumental moment in our lives. It was something we'd never thought we'd be able to partake in. It was a dream that had now been replaced with an incredible memory that'll never fade.

Perfect. Flawless. Immaculate. Impeccable. Supreme. Superb. Sublime. Unequaled.

...not too bad at all.

I walk out speechless and meet up with my brother and our friend. "Did that just happen?" I asked.

Well… It did.

Wow. Hoooooly shit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 07:19 by Tonyz.

Re: It's Only Rock 'N' Roll? I think not. The Rolling Stones – Toronto 5/25/13. A Review
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 29, 2013 09:04

"Hopefully positive reviews are allowed..."

I don't know, ask the "all the time and for everything" complainers of the board...

Thanks for the review.

Re: It's Only Rock 'N' Roll? I think not. The Rolling Stones – Toronto 5/25/13. A Review
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 29, 2013 09:22

Maybe bv needs to start a "crazy good reviews go here" thread as well!

Before all the usual suspects arrive here to tell you why you shouldn't have had such a blast, I'd like to say lovely well-written review - and it's nice to read "The whole is better than the sum of the parts ... there were a few duds in the set ... but it didn't matter". Actually it does matter - a bit - but not nearly enough to ruin the great experience of a Stones show.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 29, 2013 11:46

...Nice one, Tonyz.
I wasn't there; but it felt like I was...
Very recognizable, for a Stones fan.
They really 'get' to you when they perform, don't they.
Warhorses & all... winking smiley

I'm very happy for you that you experienced it ( & like this);
thanx a million for sharing.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 29, 2013 12:00

I'm clearly freaking out with excitement, and the girl sitting next to me knew it.

Did she look concerned?

It doesn't sound good.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:16

Tonyz - that's a great experience you have reported - that is what makes THE ROLLING STONES the greatest show on earth...!

"till the next time..."

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:18

TonyZ =>

So fun to read your post! The first time I saw the Stones, my mouth hung open in amazement of what I was seeing & hearing for the first couple of songs. Shock & Awe would be the understatement. The second time I saw them I was prepared... And my mouth hung open again... The third time I saw the Stones was my wife's first time seeing them. I told her that I had given up trying to be prepared for what happend when they hit the stage... Turns out I WAS ready that time... She wasn't! About half way through the first song she literally grabbed me by the shoulders and screamed "It's really THEM!"

Thanks again for your post. It was fun having my memories come back through your filter! Also nice to know that the Stones still got "IT".

Peace,
DY

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:20

This is bound to happen when you get Keith on the same stage as Bobby Keys...the dynamic duo...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:28

Munichhilton
This is bound to happen when you get Keith on the same stage as Bobby Keys...the dynamic duo...

You mean like this one...?
[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: May 29, 2013 17:29

good one Tony!

I'll be there next week!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:46

Great review Tony, there is not much more fun to do in this world than go to a Roliing Stones concert, and just soak it in, not over analyze the set list or how many songs a guests plays or even who is a guest..... just soak it in and have a blast. I think that is Mick Jaggers objective, and it looks like he achieved it with you.

Thanks Mr Jagger for all the shows and fun over the years, hope to see you again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 17:47 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 29, 2013 18:10

dcba
Munichhilton

You mean like this one...?
[en.wikipedia.org]

Similar, but not as plush...

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: May 29, 2013 18:33

I've seen 'relatively' few (7) shows, but I've felt that at every one of'em smiling smiley)
Thank you for your review Tonyz !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 18:34 by gmanp.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 17 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1774
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home