Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 15 of 18
Re: Toronto-1 May 25 Stones show live updates
Posted by: baldboy ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:53

bang on Tony Z. I've followed this site for years, love it and this is the first time I've ever posted aside from a review I posted last night of the Toronto show, but man, the negativity from supposed fans. I've seen every Stones tour since 1978, been a fan of theirs since they started, saw the Oshawa for the blind show, Super Bowl...last night in Toronto was fantastic, they, as you say, DESTROYED IT. read my review on the board. sure, major Stones fans like me would love to see them play, I dunno, Winter, 100 Years Ago, She Smiled Sweetly, I Am Waiting, Time Waits For No One, Jigsaw Puzzle, Hand of Fate, Down In The Hole, Tops, One Hit (again, saw it in 89), sure, others from the Taylor era, on and on and on, hell, Memo From Turner, Gotta Get Away, Congratulations, Child Of The Moon, need I go on? . . . but I long ago realized/came to understand that there would be no live Rolling Stones anymore if they did that; a relatively miniscule amount of people would go see them; the average person doesn't know those tracks. - unless they set it up that there was a 'diehard' tour where you had to answer a skill-testing question - what album is 100 Years Ago from - to get in, that sort of thing, and then the 'warhorse' tour. this band appeals to 10s of millions who want the hits, the warhorses, it's just the way it is and the band has to straddle that line each time out. you want those other cuts, go listen to the albums or be satisfied when they sneak one or two in - I do a volunteer radio DJ gig in my town, Kitchener Ontario Canada and that's my show, album tracks by all the great classic rock bands. But c'mon, folks, geez. if you didn't like the Toronto show, if you didn't feel how the cross-generational crowd was into it, standing in all sections almost the entire time and I haven't seen that at a Stones show since, well, 1978 or the 1979 Oshawa show, how the band was into it, into playing with each other, if you didn't see Mick's broad smile at the end of Satisfaction, you don't know music or properly appreciate this band, frankly. they are a treasure. They nailed it in Toronto last night. You're entitled to your opinions of course but, really, get over yourselves. Go make your own mix CDs if you want 'deep' cuts. Sheesh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 03:07 by baldboy.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:07

Wow, maybe when the tickets went on sale for a given city they should have made that ticket the second or third show from that venue? I will be disappointed if the second show is more "special". Mick and Keith, if you're reading this suck it up on the first night and make it just as special as the first. Thanks.

Posted by: STONES85 ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:08

Last nights show was amazing! words cannot describe how good they were last night. They rocked the house off the ACC! It was great to meet you last night at the show. I was the crazy fan in the yellow stones shirt lol Toronto loves there stones and I cannot wait to see them June 6th. Ive got tickets in the 300's, any idea where I can get pit seats again?

Thomas

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:13

GRNRBITW
Tonyz
Christ... some of you are either insane or incredibly bitter and entitled.

why can't we be all three? i think you're being a little narrow-minded...we want it all!

The show should be broken up into three sets: the insane era set, the incredibly bitter era set, and the entitled era set. That should cover it off.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:20

Lol.

Date: May 27, 2013 03:25

ohotos
bleedingman
Curious about Taylor sitting down for the finale. Playing it cool or is there another reason? Not like it was "Sweet Virginia" or some such.

Even during MR, while I liked his playing, he looked really awkward and out of his place. Maybe he didn't feel well last night?

He seemed fine on Midnight Rambler to me, like he has been at other shows.. Schooling Keith on the song (literally, I mean walking up to him and reminding him of changes) he also brought an extra energy by being particularly happy to jamming on stage, he was smiling lots. It's true though, once they bring him out he should stay on for the home stretch of the show. Dropping Miss You would make that doable.

Date: May 27, 2013 03:27

Brstonesfan
If I was too negative my apologies. I have read reviews on the various boards which range from great to lousy.More importantly I called 3 friend who attended. One was in the pit,one in front seats right behind pit, and one upper deck RW side. One said a great show. One said disappointed and Keith very off, and one said standard show with some hits and misses. I think I was expecting another Staples like show and should have known better.

Number 3 is the most accurate, although the crowd energy really added to the vibe.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:37

baldboy
bang on Tony Z. I've followed this site for years, love it and this is the first time I've ever posted aside from a review I posted last night of the Toronto show, but man, the negativity from supposed fans. I've seen every Stones tour since 1978, been a fan of theirs since they started, saw the Oshawa for the blind show, Super Bowl...last night in Toronto was fantastic, they, as you say, DESTROYED IT. read my review on the board. sure, major Stones fans like me would love to see them play, I dunno, Winter, 100 Years Ago, She Smiled Sweetly, I Am Waiting, Time Waits For No One, Jigsaw Puzzle, Hand of Fate, Down In The Hole, Tops, One Hit (again, saw it in 89), sure, others from the Taylor era, on and on and on, hell, Memo From Turner, Gotta Get Away, Congratulations, Child Of The Moon, need I go on? . . . but I long ago realized/came to understand that there would be no live Rolling Stones anymore if they did that; a relatively miniscule amount of people would go see them; the average person doesn't know those tracks. - unless they set it up that there was a 'diehard' tour where you had to answer a skill-testing question - what album is 100 Years Ago from - to get in, that sort of thing, and then the 'warhorse' tour. this band appeals to 10s of millions who want the hits, the warhorses, it's just the way it is and the band has to straddle that line each time out. you want those other cuts, go listen to the albums or be satisfied when they sneak one or two in - I do a volunteer radio DJ gig in my town, Kitchener Ontario Canada and that's my show, album tracks by all the great classic rock bands. But c'mon, folks, geez. if you didn't like the Toronto show, if you didn't feel how the cross-generational crowd was into it, standing in all sections almost the entire time and I haven't seen that at a Stones show since, well, 1978 or the 1979 Oshawa show, how the band was into it, into playing with each other, if you didn't see Mick's broad smile at the end of Satisfaction, you don't know music or properly appreciate this band, frankly. they are a treasure. They nailed it in Toronto last night. You're entitled to your opinions of course but, really, get over yourselves. Go make your own mix CDs if you want 'deep' cuts. Sheesh.

This is a block of letters..please post better...!

Date: May 27, 2013 03:41

sorry but I get sick and tired of people talking about Midnight Rambler as if it's Mick Taylor's song. I love Mick Taylor, an obviously fabulous period with him in the band, but who starts the song? whose riff? Keith. Who holds down the rhythm - a song is made up of melody, rhythm, solo. there's still a song someone is playing while someone else solos, folks. christ. perhaps best of many Stones' examples - Sympathy For The Devil on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out as first Keith and then Mick T. trade solos. Listen to the rhythm track each time, listen to how first Mick T. holds it down, while Keith solos - amazingly on Ya Ya's, best ever version of Sympathy in my book - and then how Keith holds it down while Mick T. does the mind-blowing solo to finish. I would say Keith holds it down better; that is what he does and is known for, rhythm - the song is the thing, dammit. Even Taylor says he learned that from Keith. both great players and Ronnie too. It's the song, the entire piece, one must look at.

Date: May 27, 2013 03:43

not sure what you mean, longtime follower of this site but first time poster, am I doing something wrong? please advise.

Date: May 27, 2013 03:44

kleermaker
Marcust99
Here's a couple of videos I shot at the Stones Toronto show last night:

Midnight Rambler:

[youtu.be]

Satisfaction:

[youtu.be]

Thank you kindly.

Keith soloing from 3:20 of the Satisfaction vid is classic Keith, one of those moments when the old magic appeared.

Posted by: lamothem ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:55

The Stones shows in Dec. 2012 had 'gorillas' as part of the opening. Does anyone know why the 'gorillas' were not part of the opening in Toronto?

Mike

Date: May 27, 2013 03:58

Munichhilton
baldboy

The postulating can become befuddling at times...

Date: May 27, 2013 03:59

lamothem
The Stones shows in Dec. 2012 had 'gorillas' as part of the opening. Does anyone know why the 'gorillas' were not part of the opening in Toronto?

It was gorrila-free.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 27, 2013 04:11

andrewt
lamothem

It was gorrila-free.

The gorilla has gone the way of the dinosaur.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 27, 2013 04:16

No Expectations
andrewt
lamothem

It was gorrila-free.

The gorilla has gone the way of the dinosaur.

I will miss the gorillas, I thought they added a very cool vibe to the Newark concert I saw. But, perhaps they don't travel well.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 27, 2013 04:22

Munichhilton
baldboy

It's the art of monolithic writing. cool smiley

Posted by: Powerage5 ()
Date: May 27, 2013 04:32

Here's just a couple of my pictures from the barrier. I'm still post-processing them for minor color adjustments, so I'll be posting more smiling smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 27, 2013 04:50

No Expectations
bv
The Staples-2 show was signing out of California with a big celebration to all the fans, including some extra Mick Taylor specials. Knowing many of those who went to that Staples-2 show also had seen them one time before in LV, LA or Anaheim.

Do not expect any specials on the first night in a city. But the 2nd show or even the 3rd or 4th show in an area might be special of course. So look out for Chi-3, Boston-2 and Philly-2. I am just guessing, based on experience...

Seems kinda unfair to the people who spend the same $600+ for the other shows. If they can make a handful of shows "special" they could easily make them all "special" and for the money they are charging they should!

If you are bored with BS, JJF, TD and IORR then may be you are bored with the Stones. These songs ARE the Stones. People want to hear them. People don't want the live version of Satanic Majesties. I do not travel across the globe to listen to songs nobody cares about. Mick calls it blank faces. When the crowd don't know the songs. I go to a lot of shows, and believe me, the Toronto show was outstanding, for those who went there. We don't really care about those who sit at home and complain about set lists. I care about those who ARE at the shows.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 27, 2013 04:51

baldboy
bang on Tony Z. I've followed this site for years, love it and this is the first time I've ever posted aside from a review I posted last night of the Toronto show, but man, the negativity from supposed fans. I've seen every Stones tour since 1978, been a fan of theirs since they started, saw the Oshawa for the blind show, Super Bowl...last night in Toronto was fantastic, they, as you say, DESTROYED IT. read my review on the board. sure, major Stones fans like me would love to see them play, I dunno, Winter, 100 Years Ago, She Smiled Sweetly, I Am Waiting, Time Waits For No One, Jigsaw Puzzle, Hand of Fate, Down In The Hole, Tops, One Hit (again, saw it in 89), sure, others from the Taylor era, on and on and on, hell, Memo From Turner, Gotta Get Away, Congratulations, Child Of The Moon, need I go on? . . . but I long ago realized/came to understand that there would be no live Rolling Stones anymore if they did that; a relatively miniscule amount of people would go see them; the average person doesn't know those tracks. - unless they set it up that there was a 'diehard' tour where you had to answer a skill-testing
question - what album is 100 Years Ago from - to get in, that sort of thing, and then the 'warhorse' tour. this band appeals to 10s of millions who want the hits, the warhorses, it's just the way it is and the band has to straddle that line each time out. you want those other cuts, go listen to the albums or be satisfied when they sneak one or two in - I do a volunteer radio DJ gig in my town, Kitchener Ontario Canada and that's my show, album tracks by all the great classic rock bands. But c'mon, folks, geez. if you didn't like the Toronto show, if you didn't feel how the cross-generational crowd was into it, standing in all sections almost the entire time and I haven't seen that at a Stones show since, well, 1978 or the 1979 Oshawa show, how the band was into it, into playing with each other, if you didn't see Mick's broad smile at the end of Satisfaction, you don't know music or properly appreciate this band, frankly. they are a treasure. They nailed it in Toronto last night. You're entitled to your opinions of course but, really, get over yourselves. Go make your own mix CDs if you want 'deep' cuts. Sheesh.

Bravo!!
Standing "O".

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 27, 2013 04:52

bv
No Expectations
bv
The Staples-2 show was signing out of California with a big celebration to all the fans, including some extra Mick Taylor specials. Knowing many of those who went to that Staples-2 show also had seen them one time before in LV, LA or Anaheim.

Do not expect any specials on the first night in a city. But the 2nd show or even the 3rd or 4th show in an area might be special of course. So look out for Chi-3, Boston-2 and Philly-2. I am just guessing, based on experience...

Seems kinda unfair to the people who spend the same $600+ for the other shows. If they can make a handful of shows "special" they could easily make them all "special" and for the money they are charging they should!

If you are bored with BS, JJF, TD and IORR then may be you are bored with the Stones. These songs ARE the Stones. People want to hear them. People don't want the live version of Satanic Majesties. I do not travel across the globe to listen to songs nobody cares about. Mick calls it blank faces. When the crowd don't know the songs. I go to a lot of shows, and believe me, the Toronto show was outstanding, for those who went there. We don't really care about those who sit at home and complain about set lists. I care about those who ARE at the shows.

Bravo!!

(another) Standing "O".
(met you in Vegas standing in merch line... thanks for all you do)

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 27, 2013 05:12

bv
No Expectations
bv

BV you are way off base on this one. I never said I was bored with anything. And your assumption that I "sit at home" is way off base. I went to both the Oakland and San Jose shows and had a fantastic time. I have attended multiple shows on every tour since 1975. Live Satanic Majesty versions? I cannot fathom where your comments are coming from. Perhaps you should get your facts straight before making unfounded assumptions about people.
You said people who attend first shows should not expect "special" shows that people who attend 2nd/3rd shows might get. I feel there is no reason all shows should not be just as special. Obviously most of us do not have the resources you do to "travel across the globe" but that does not make our opinion any less valid.
Nothing to do with any particular show, boredom, setlist or anything else. Just an opinion that I think most fans would agree with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 05:29 by No Expectations.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: May 27, 2013 05:23

No Expectations
bv
No Expectations
bv

BV you are way off base on this one. I never said I was bored with anything. And your assumption that I "sit at home" is way off base. I went to both the Oakland and San Jose shows and had a fantastic time. I have attended multiple shows on every tour since 1975. Live Satanic Majesty versions? I cannot fathom where your comments are comming from. Perhaps you should get your facts straight before making unfounded assumptions about people.
You said people who attend first shows should not expect "special" shows that people who attend 2nd/3rd shows might get. I feel there is no reason all shows should not be just as special.
Nothing to do with any particular show, boredom, setlist or anything else. Just an opinion that I think most fans would agree with.

Well if the second shows are more special then the first shows should be cheaper. I can't and wouldn't go to every show. The way I chose is location and the date. Both Brooklyn and Toronto were on a Saturday so they were perfect for me, I wouldn't be able to make it to the second "special" Toronto show that takes place in the middle of the week.

Date: May 27, 2013 05:35

baldboy

Always nice to hear from those that were actually present.

Date: May 27, 2013 06:16

JumpinJackOLantern
baldboy

Always nice to hear from those that were actually present.

Great analysis. I was at both the Dec. 13 show in Newark and the show last night in Toronto and I was thrilled to see Mick and Keith smiling so much - they knew it was a great gig. Dec. 13 was amazing as well, but last night they just played with such intensity. Mick really gave each song all he had. I'm also always thrilled to see people across all generations at their shows. I feared these prices might keep some teenagers and college students away but they were there in droves last night - and you bet every one of them left happy. No complaints from them about the setlist.

Posted by: SquealingTea ()
Date: May 27, 2013 07:58

Powerage5
Here's just a couple of my pictures from the barrier. I'm still post-processing them for minor color adjustments, so I'll be posting more smiling smiley

Wow - wonderful shots!! Can't wait to see more.
What kind of camera did you use?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 27, 2013 08:30

delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 08:31 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 27, 2013 08:32

SquealingTea
Powerage5

Wow - wonderful shots!! Can't wait to see more.
What kind of camera did you use?
Canon S95, with full manual settings. Here's a couple more:

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 27, 2013 08:35

They're all good, but that last one of Keith is lovely.

Date: May 27, 2013 08:43

Green Lady
They're all good, but that last one of Keith is lovely.
Thanks, glad you like it smiling smiley

I'm not gonna post every picture on here, but I'll be posting more of them on my photography page on Facebook, I'll attach a link to my Stones album at the end of this post. I'll be sure to post more here and there on here too of course though. I took some 200 pictures, so it's gonna take me a few days to sort through the best of them.

I'm a published freelance photographer, so being in the pit for the Stones and being able to take some pictures was absolutely a dream come true for me grinning smiley

Facebook

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 08:45 by Powerage5.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 15 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home