Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28
Re: "From The Vault"- Hampton 1981 on 3 November
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 8, 2014 12:46

Previewed Imagination last night and Happy Birthday Keith with the toasts. The audio blows away the video on this release and I'm fine with that!!

BTW what's up with Amazon using an oversized bubble mailer for a DVD? Slight crack in the case which shouldn't happen. I've gotten third party packages thru Amazon and the mailers are always carefully prepared and protected.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 8, 2014 12:49

I still want a Brussels Affair on CD, with some nice liner notes; it's the tangibility as opposed to the downloadability.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 8, 2014 15:00

Yesterday I compared some songs from this cd release to the download from ~ a couple of years ago.
I cannot hear a difference, they sound the same to me;
btw. files look the same too ( and on top of that they are brickwalled! ).

Date: November 8, 2014 15:02

tomcasagranda
I still want a Brussels Affair on CD, with some nice liner notes; it's the tangibility as opposed to the downloadability.

Available, but bleeding expensive, unfortunately...

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 8, 2014 19:07

Watched the 81 Hampton DVD last night. It is SO good. My 1st time seeing them was 81 I caught the 'big' show in Phili and Syracuse Carreier Dome, and this arena set up in Hartford - so this DVD takes me right back. They truly rock out on this - a real treasure and pleasure. A must have IMHO.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: November 8, 2014 19:19

just curious,is it complete with intros and outros?

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: November 8, 2014 19:49

despite some may say, and rightly so this is a very loose and raw show...(jagger's voice a bit rough, and i'm not sure what the heck ronnie is doing thru much of it, kicking mic stands, climbing, hanging by one arm, on the floor, smoking and fixing drinks...) BUT these guys were hell bent on rocking with a ton of energy. jagger is absolutely fascinating to watch by the last 2 songs, nearly 2 hrs in, jagger is no less energetic than when he started the show. his devotion to his stage craft is highly commendable. this show is a great example of a rock band pushing everything they have into a performance. i have enjoyed watching this more than i thought i would've.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 8, 2014 21:04

OMG! Wow! Wonderful sound and visuals, a band at the apex of one of their many peaks with that raw but slick guitar driven sound. Excellence all around but outstanding perfomances from Bill lending a dangerous edge to the rhythm section; Keith with that swaggering, sexy, sophisticated but at the same time primeval guitar sound and Mick giving a masterclass in true showanship.
On a more superficial side the glimmer twins looked absolutely stunning and plenty of pleasing shots for us girls. I enjoyed Keith slashed tank top and Mick's topless action enormously>grinning smiley<grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2014 21:16

Maindefender
Previewed Imagination last night and Happy Birthday Keith with the toasts. The audio blows away the video on this release and I'm fine with that!!

BTW what's up with Amazon using an oversized bubble mailer for a DVD? Slight crack in the case which shouldn't happen. I've gotten third party packages thru Amazon and the mailers are always carefully prepared and protected.

I received the vinyl yesterday...great packaging!

Date: November 8, 2014 21:17

DandelionPowderman
EJM
tornnfrayed
treaclefingers
SharksWillCry
I don't know about that. From what I've seen of the '78 tour, Keith was in full control of his faculties, as was Ron (in contrast to '81). I realize that it was "perceived as being full of problems" but the recent '78 Live in Texas has probably changed that perception. Hell, I've got the Hampton Blu-ray and LP on order because the samples sound so good. It may well change my perception of that '81 tour.

It will never be this good again, folks (or maybe it will). Two freaking archive releases within a month and the Stones are on tour.

We've had an amazing 5 year run, starting with the release of GYYYO superdeluxe box set. The amount of material, archive releases, the tour, inclusion of Taylor, it's been fantastic times as a fan.

Could only really additionally wish for a new album.

I kind of disagree. Really nothing from the Stones best period 69-72. Not one release of new material. Just a few things on the Ya Yas set. The Ladies and Gentlemen release was pretty shoddy quality, really not much better than many of the boots we have been watching for many years. And not one 72 complete show has been released. I often wonder what the Stones are thinking. I mean how greedy can you be ?

The Brussels Affair was new. Only two songs from the old bootleg.

Some people need to complain about stuff Dandy...you're not helping them by removing them their 'outlet'.

Date: November 8, 2014 21:54

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
EJM
tornnfrayed
treaclefingers
SharksWillCry
I don't know about that. From what I've seen of the '78 tour, Keith was in full control of his faculties, as was Ron (in contrast to '81). I realize that it was "perceived as being full of problems" but the recent '78 Live in Texas has probably changed that perception. Hell, I've got the Hampton Blu-ray and LP on order because the samples sound so good. It may well change my perception of that '81 tour.

It will never be this good again, folks (or maybe it will). Two freaking archive releases within a month and the Stones are on tour.

We've had an amazing 5 year run, starting with the release of GYYYO superdeluxe box set. The amount of material, archive releases, the tour, inclusion of Taylor, it's been fantastic times as a fan.

I kind of disagree. Really nothing from the Stones best period 69-72. Not one release of new material. Just a few things on the Ya Yas set. The Ladies and Gentlemen release was pretty shoddy quality, really not much better than many of the boots we have been watching for many years. And not one 72 complete show has been released. I often wonder what the Stones are thinking. I mean how greedy can you be ?

Some people need to complain about stuff Dandy...you're not helping them by removing them their 'outlet'.

Just noticed that 1973 wasn't included in their prime period. My bad...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 8, 2014 23:36

treaclefingers
Maindefender

Glad to hear. Hopefully my three disc LA survives better.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: November 9, 2014 01:27

marko

I can only speak to the Blu-Ray, which is nearly complete.

You get the full outro with credits and fan footage, and you get all of the between-song dialog including the "Turkish taxi driver's jockstrap" line, and all of the references to the cities watching on TV (including the "@#$%& Los Angeles!" response -- though I need to check my other copies and see if there was an actual camera cut to the audience during the live broadcast as there is now in this version).

One bit that is missing is during the intro. - we get the "tattoed" nude woman introducing all of the radio stations you can hear the simulcast on, but they have edited out the backstage footage in the showerroom with various nude folks lightly carrying on and certain farm animals milling about quite confusedly. A silly addition to begin with, I'm guessing the hint toward beastiality was a bit much for the aged rockers to be able to cringe through now?

Also missing is the cut-in onstage to George Thorogood. Maybe all of the footage with his playing in the background has been excised due to need his permission?

The intro cuts in to the ping pong game right after the tattooed lady (Lydia?) and then backstage to the Stones' dressing room.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 9, 2014 02:57

Anyone here seeing this for the very first time? That's hard to imagine with the bootlegs and the complete concert on YouTube.

Date: November 9, 2014 05:44

Maindefender
treaclefingers
Maindefender

Glad to hear. Hopefully my three disc LA survives better.

I wonder if it's just a case of them putting better packaging in place for the vinyl.

I've received cd's before from Amazon with cracked cases. Sucks!

Date: November 9, 2014 05:45

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
EJM
tornnfrayed
treaclefingers
SharksWillCry

apparently by 1973 their live concerts were in free fall.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: November 9, 2014 08:49

JMARKO
marko

I can only speak to the Blu-Ray, which is nearly complete.

You get the full outro with credits and fan footage, and you get all of the between-song dialog including the "Turkish taxi driver's jockstrap" line, and all of the references to the cities watching on TV (including the "@#$%& Los Angeles!" response -- though I need to check my other copies and see if there was an actual camera cut to the audience during the live broadcast as there is now in this version).

One bit that is missing is during the intro. - we get the "tattoed" nude woman introducing all of the radio stations you can hear the simulcast on, but they have edited out the backstage footage in the showerroom with various nude folks lightly carrying on and certain farm animals milling about quite confusedly. A silly addition to begin with, I'm guessing the hint toward beastiality was a bit much for the aged rockers to be able to cringe through now?

Also missing is the cut-in onstage to George Thorogood. Maybe all of the footage with his playing in the background has been excised due to need his permission?

The intro cuts in to the ping pong game right after the tattooed lady (Lydia?) and then backstage to the Stones' dressing room.

This is GREAT because usually everything intros and outros are incomplete,i doubt the cd is this complete as dvd or blueray is,for me its personally important to get complete as possibe,,,you intro takes you there,,,back in the even is you weren´t there and intro gives you the memory of ending show,,how exhausted you were....so i will do audiorip from dvd when i get me hands on it.

Posted by: Rio ()
Date: November 9, 2014 10:51

Boy was I looking forward to this! Not only was this show my introduction to the Stones a couple of years ago it is still my favourite concert by any artist so I was glad about the news it being finally released with a couple of improvements but where there any?

The picture is only slightly better, a huge improvement wasn't to be expected but I wonder why "Beast of Burden" looks worse than on any bootleg. The most I was looking forward to was the DTS HD Master surround sound and it started really good with the guitar seperations and a clear superb sound. But I missed something. Were was Bill? I don't hear him THAT good anymore and his playing on this particular show always mesmerized me. Now I can only feel and remember from the old days watching the bootleg. Same with Micks guitar, his intro to "Waiting on a Friend" was a real highlight for me, Ernie Watts' beautiful sax is slightly turned down as well as is the audience, which I am not only missing on their key tracks like "You Can't Always Get What You Want", "Happy Birthday Keith" and "Brown Sugar" but on a couple of other tracks you always could feel and HEAR their joy and anticipation. The intro to "Brown Sugar" feels so naked, it is like watching the "Back in Black" promo videos by AC/DC, where there are playing the songs on a stage in front of no audience. Even my brother noticed it, who only watched the show a dozen times as opposed to my 50 maybe. The overdubs aren't horrible but why would I prefer a doctored version when the original was always great to begin with? It doesn't even match the video on "Miss You" and it seems sloppy. I also missed some Mac keyboard moments on that one during the Bill Wyman bass break (another key moment for Bill "swept" away). On the other hand there is suddenly a keyboard outro like on the Wembley boot, which don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed more than just hearing Charlie and Mick but it wasn't played that night. Maybe it was just mixed down on the original broadcast, I don't know but could it be that none other than Chuck Leavell did those overdubs in 1982 along with a couple of vocal sessions? Horrendous thought that this guy could be audible on what was to be my favourite ever show. I missed "School Days" at the end a lot, this always seemed to be a nice tribute and kind of a back to the roots approach. This is only a minor complaint but I sure was expecting "Star Spangled Banner".

The stereo channel seems to be much truer to the Jointrip version, I did only check a couple of songs.

I read a lot on iorr but post seldom since I am not an expert and my english is far away from perfect but I needed to get this out. Part of me thinks that Bill's volume was turned down on purpose. But even Keith is a bit drowned out, of course you can always adjust your front speakers but even turning my subwoofer at the maximum I was missing the magic of Bill. There are still some reasons to get this release, I don't have to switch discs now and my appreciation for Woody raised a lot. The booklet is nice and there are pics of both shows! I'd still give this 5 stars all the way and I am glad that now everyone can enjoy this great period of time for the band where there truly ruled and rocked the world, for some for the last time.

EDIT: I've adjusted a few settings and it comes off much better, great gig!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 21:07 by Rio.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 9, 2014 13:19

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
EJM
tornnfrayed
treaclefingers
SharksWillCry

apparently by 1973 their live concerts were in free fall.

Yep for sure. Taylor was terrible...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 10, 2014 18:32

Rio, my exact sentiments . over all i was not a happy camper. to much doctoring which i hate (i know how the glimmers work), to many edits .heck they even choped duke ellington's intro before under my thumb. over all not much an improvment in the quality of the product .

Date: November 12, 2014 10:00

Finally I watched the DVD last night. It is absolutely marvellous. Great sound, and the film is beautifully restored.

There are a few overdubs in there, and the stuff on Miss You sound suspiciously like recent overdubs by Mick...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 12, 2014 17:01

Another (positive) review : [blindedbysound.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 12, 2014 18:36

DandelionPowderman
Finally I watched the DVD last night. It is absolutely marvellous. Great sound, and the film is beautifully restored.

There are a few overdubs in there, and the stuff on Miss You sound suspiciously like recent overdubs by Mick...

Better later than never... I have now watched the bugger three times, and enjoyed big time. Some reflections later...

- Doxa

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 09:51

Just got this.at last...forgot how much I enjoyed these versions of Just my Imagination and Going to a GoGo......just loverly!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 12:21

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Better later than never... I have now watched the bugger three times, and enjoyed big time. Some reflections later...

- Doxa

Me too Doxa, I'm on my fourth viewing actually; I cannot remember the last time I watched a new live DVD so much after purchase. I just think it's an absoloutely marvellous release. And the thought of having 1975 in my hands tomorrow - wow!

I'm off work at moment for a few days and the Hampton release has kick-started a massive Stones watching marathon - last few days had Hyde Park 1969 (really gotten to love that show over the years), Ladies and Gents 1972, Jean Luc Godard's One Plus One (another treasure), and the Rock'n'Roll Circus!

Exile, Let it Bleed, and Teague Raw's excellent remaster of Ya Ya's have been the soundtrack

Date: November 13, 2014 13:13

IrelandCalling4
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Me too Doxa, I'm on my fourth viewing actually; I cannot remember the last time I watched a new live DVD so much after purchase. I just think it's an absoloutely marvellous release. And the thought of having 1975 in my hands tomorrow - wow!

I'm off work at moment for a few days and the Hampton release has kick-started a massive Stones watching marathon - last few days had Hyde Park 1969 (really gotten to love that show over the years), Ladies and Gents 1972, Jean Luc Godard's One Plus One (another treasure), and the Rock'n'Roll Circus!

Exile, Let it Bleed, and Teague Raw's excellent remaster of Ya Ya's have been the soundtrack

thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 13:37

24FPS
Anyone here seeing this for the very first time? That's hard to imagine with the bootlegs and the complete concert on YouTube.

...ahem....me. I have seen the going to a gogo, imagination, and satisfaction where Keith bops the intruder, and that's it. So this is mighty fine for me!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 13:38 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 13, 2014 14:52

DandelionPowderman

Really? That is weird.
Ill still get it.

So much better sound/pic than the usual?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 13, 2014 17:26

So... Miss You on this official release sounds different from these (I put both because the official one sounds thin). Where are there vocal overdubs? I'm guessing it's not on this one.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 13, 2014 17:55

DandelionPowderman

They're not. The dubs are already present on the very first KBFH broadcasts in 1982. It's just that we never noticed it in 30 years!

Mathijs

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2075
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home