Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 28
Re: "From The Vault"- Hampton 1981 on 3 November
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 5, 2014 23:33

artinis1
Is the blu-ray widescreen?

No

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2014 23:41

Rolling Hansie
artinis1
Is the blu-ray widescreen?

No

If you stand closer to the screen, wearing those blinders for horses, you can hardly notice the difference though.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 6, 2014 00:50

I think Darryl's job is to keep everything together. He's rock solid support. Charlie plays differently too. And obviously the keyboards. There are fewer train wrecks and even if the guitars go awry, the wheels don't come off. Of course us old time fans of the group know that the Stones live sound that was ushered in with Mick Taylor joining and ran through the '82 tour in a bit different fashion (the KR/CW/BW push-pull rhythm section)was brilliant and a lot of what made the Stones epical, but it's not what it is anymore. The '12 and '13 shows were a little closer to that direction than the last couple of tours, but it's never going to be like it was. No supergroup plays like that anymore. Things are too professional.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 6, 2014 00:55

Has anyone played this DVD till the end titles?
Is the "Satisfaction" kamikaze being thanked for his participation? I mean he wrote the most legendary Stones moment of the 80's...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 6, 2014 02:15

TeddyB1018
I think Darryl's job is to keep everything together.

Very much so. Darryl, IMHO, is Chuck 2.0 with a slightly different responsibility. Together with Chuck, they both of them wrangle the Stones from both ends. Chuck in many ways is there as a track for the band (and also provide Mick a secure/consistent accompaniment for him to sing to) while Darryl is there to keep everything else in check for the rest of the band. Charlie and Keith really play within the space that both Chuck and Darryl provide for them. It's a dummy proof approach to ensure the show goes off without a hitch every night. It was never always this way but more so as the guys got older.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 6, 2014 03:24

Watching the blu-ray now. Makes me sad a little. This was really the last gasp of the Stones near the top of Mount Rock. Some of the differences that really jump out at me. Huge for me, this was the last tour (counting '82 in Europe as same tour) that Keith did the backup vocals. I miss that a lot. Minimal extra musicians. Still actually sounds raw. The energy level is so much higher. Finally, they had a bunch of good newish (3 years old or newer) material. Sure you get some warhorses but they don't dominate the set. They definitely aren't coasting on past glories. Just my opinion.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 6, 2014 04:35

I always looked at the '81 Tour as a triumph for the group, even more so than the Steel Wheels Tour. The '78 Tour, and people forget this, was perceived as being full of problems and the possible end of the group. Keith had a greenish hue and looked liked a junkie going cold turkey. (Because he was). By '81 he was recovered enough to really bear down on his guitar playing. He was more refreshed and on fire than he had been in at least ten years.

Also the '78 Tour was very limited date wise. 14 concerts? I'd have to look it up. The '81 Tour was a full blown circus compared to '78. They pulled a little deeper from their past with cuts like Time Is On My Side. The band would never be better. (Bill seems to have checked out by '89.) And of course it would lead to their successful Euro '82 Tour, a market they hadn't played in six years.

Date: November 6, 2014 05:28

Agree with you on this 24FPS.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: November 6, 2014 05:38

I don't know about that. From what I've seen of the '78 tour, Keith was in full control of his faculties, as was Ron (in contrast to '81). I realize that it was "perceived as being full of problems" but the recent '78 Live in Texas has probably changed that perception. Hell, I've got the Hampton Blu-ray and LP on order because the samples sound so good. It may well change my perception of that '81 tour.

It will never be this good again, folks (or maybe it will). Two freaking archive releases within a month and the Stones are on tour.

Date: November 6, 2014 16:56

SharksWillCry
I don't know about that. From what I've seen of the '78 tour, Keith was in full control of his faculties, as was Ron (in contrast to '81). I realize that it was "perceived as being full of problems" but the recent '78 Live in Texas has probably changed that perception. Hell, I've got the Hampton Blu-ray and LP on order because the samples sound so good. It may well change my perception of that '81 tour.

It will never be this good again, folks (or maybe it will). Two freaking archive releases within a month and the Stones are on tour.

We've had an amazing 5 year run, starting with the release of GYYYO superdeluxe box set. The amount of material, archive releases, the tour, inclusion of Taylor, it's been fantastic times as a fan.

Could only really additionally wish for a new album.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 6, 2014 17:39

You are so right, treacle.

Ya Ya's box, Expanded Exile, Ladies & Gentlemen Video, Expanded Some Girls, Some Girls Live in Texas audio/video, 6 "from the vault" Archive Series audio concerts, Checkerboard Lounge video/audio, Hyde Park audio & video, Hampton "81 audio/video, LA Live 1975 audio/video.

Damn, am I missing anything?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 6, 2014 17:44

Ross

Ya Ya's box, Expanded Exile, Ladies & Gentlemen Video, Expanded Some Girls, Some Girls Live in Texas audio/video, 6 "from the vault" Archive Series audio concerts, Checkerboard Lounge video/audio, Hyde Park audio & video, Hampton "81 audio/video, LA Live 1975 audio/video.

Charlie is My Darling. cool smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 6, 2014 17:50

Cristiano Radtke
Ross

Charlie is My Darling.

and GRRR.....! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 6, 2014 17:53

GRRR? That doesn't count.

Date: November 6, 2014 17:55

RipThisBone
and GRRR.....! >grinning smiley<

Right, I've missed that! And there's also the 1964/1969 and 1971/2006 vinyl box-sets, the 1971/2006 Singles box-set and the Rolling Stones Clear Vinyl series from ABKCO, too. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-06 17:56 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: November 6, 2014 18:17

The vinyl sounds fantastic thumbs up

Date: November 6, 2014 18:21

Cristiano Radtke
Ross

The Ed Sullivan DVD, the TAMI DVD, Crossfire Hurricane.

Date: November 6, 2014 18:24

24FPS
Cristiano Radtke
Ross

I think the only thing I haven't bought is the Ed Sullivan DVD...maybe this Christmas.

Almost unfathomable the amount of content we've gotten in the last 5 years.

Date: November 6, 2014 18:31

treaclefingers

Talking about Christmas, has anybody seen this?

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: November 6, 2014 18:38

crholmstrom
Watching the blu-ray now. Makes me sad a little. This was really the last gasp of the Stones near the top of Mount Rock. Some of the differences that really jump out at me. Huge for me, this was the last tour (counting '82 in Europe as same tour) that Keith did the backup vocals. I miss that a lot. Minimal extra musicians. Still actually sounds raw. The energy level is so much higher. Finally, they had a bunch of good newish (3 years old or newer) material. Sure you get some warhorses but they don't dominate the set. They definitely aren't coasting on past glories. Just my opinion.

Received mine yesterday, and I've watched it twice now, and its great.

It's amazing that I have come on here to find that you put my feelings exactly in to words! smileys with beer

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: November 6, 2014 18:53

Well chuffed with the dvd, what a show. Much prefer the fact it's filmed in real time and you wait around in between songs - not cutting away every 5 seconds from show to show like the LSTNT film.
The sounds a-mazing. The intro of them all back stage and going on is magic, as well as Keith's birthday intro. By the second half though I found Mick a bit tedious and cringe worthy with all his topless OTT posing, not cool. I prefer the modern day Mick, he's pure class theses days. But apart from that, it's gold for a Stones fan.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 6, 2014 19:04

24FPS
Cristiano Radtke
Ross

Ah, yes! I proudly own all of this. What a treasure trove! As Treacle said, the only thing missing is a new album...but somehow I think that would pale in comparison to these gems! keep 'em coming, boys!

Ross

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 6, 2014 19:39

68to72
crholmstrom

Received mine yesterday, and I've watched it twice now, and its great.

It's amazing that I have come on here to find that you put my feelings exactly in to words! smileys with beer

Thanks! I'm sure not the most popular opinion around here but I've never been one to sugar coat. I'm just glad I got to see them once in 1978 & twice in 1981. All before I could drink <legally winking smiley> smoking smiley

Date: November 6, 2014 21:24

Noticed they haven't done any promo for these two releases yet. With the audio vault releases we got them talking a bit about the concerts. I guess it's practically the same concerts but it would be nice to hear them comment on the video for '75 and the sound of the band in '81. Maybe they're tired of being compared to their better selves.

Date: November 6, 2014 22:54

I think their Stones energy is concentrated on the current tour.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 6, 2014 23:21

History will look fondly on this 50th anniversary period. What's it been, 2 years since the London shows?

Date: November 6, 2014 23:57

Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers

Talking about Christmas, has anybody seen this?

[www.amazon.com]

Oh man, that is so tacky!

I NEED IT!!! How come you can't order it?

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: November 7, 2014 06:35

Love that phrase "absolute clinic".

One to start using ;-)

Date: November 7, 2014 09:56

24FPS
I always looked at the '81 Tour as a triumph for the group, even more so than the Steel Wheels Tour. The '78 Tour, and people forget this, was perceived as being full of problems and the possible end of the group. Keith had a greenish hue and looked liked a junkie going cold turkey. (Because he was). By '81 he was recovered enough to really bear down on his guitar playing. He was more refreshed and on fire than he had been in at least ten years.

Also the '78 Tour was very limited date wise. 14 concerts? I'd have to look it up. The '81 Tour was a full blown circus compared to '78. They pulled a little deeper from their past with cuts like Time Is On My Side. The band would never be better. (Bill seems to have checked out by '89.) And of course it would lead to their successful Euro '82 Tour, a market they hadn't played in six years.

I don't disagree, but it should be mentioned that Keith played absolutely brilliant on the 1978-tour. I wasn't there, but just about every show I've heard features top notch Keith-playing (save the 1979-gig)..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 7, 2014 13:22

24FPS

He was on fire in 1978 too but he wasn't really going cold turkey. He did smack during the tour and continued to do that until a year before the 1981 tour. Methadone may have helped him in 1981 as well. Important facts. cool smiley

But yes, he is a very different man in 1981.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home