Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 28
Re: "From The Vault"- Hampton 1981 on 3 November
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2014 01:12

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
DECCA61
DandelionPowderman
I thought there were overdubs only on LSTNT and TIOMS...

BTW, it doesn't necessarily has to be the same mix as the Archive release.

"Sweet Summer Sun" had a very different mix than the digital Google Music release "Hyde Park Live"

hi yes i too noticed a rare so called non sync moment the last 20 sec of LSTNT in hampton 81 bluray

+ three lead guitars during the bridge smiling smiley

that's because they didn't want the bridge to collapse.

Brick and mortar vs a weaved bridge...

...and that sir, is how you get to Babylon.

Date: November 4, 2014 01:13

grinning smiley

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: November 4, 2014 01:42

mnewman505
Out of all the shows they could give us from VL we get March 12, 1995??? Give me a break!

no, tokyo 1990
nothing from 95 for the moment

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: November 4, 2014 04:05

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 4, 2014 11:57

flacnvinyl
liddas
hockenheim95

So please check again the second "ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh" part. On the Google Download he sings "ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh, lord i miss you" twice while on the original recording the "lord I miss you" line isn't there.

You are 100% right!

The guitar part seems the same, but Jagger's voice is definitely not. It seems from that age, so it has to be from another show. Just curious and I checked Leeds, no lord I miss you there.

By the way, nothing in the original that could justify the edit. It just makes me wonder. Could it be that Bob just miked up the files and made a mistake?

C

Clearmountain seems to have lost his skills. Thin guitars, bass too loud, way too compressed... this could be fantastic but instead I will actually pass.

I think the guitars on this release are just about the best ever guitar sound the Stones have ever achieved. Especially Richards sounds just totally brutal -listen to Miss You, Hang Fire, HTW, Imagination. It's full, fat, aggressive and loud.

Wyman has never ever sounded (and played!) better than on this release as well.

The only thinh I like less is Charlie's snare -it's just not how he has ever sounded. His snare misses his normal crackle and pop, it's all heavy midrange on this release. That was the same as on the Brussels release.

Mathijs

Date: November 4, 2014 12:08

liddas
hockenheim95

So please check again the second "ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh" part. On the Google Download he sings "ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh, lord i miss you" twice while on the original recording the "lord I miss you" line isn't there.

You are 100% right!

The guitar part seems the same, but Jagger's voice is definitely not. It seems from that age, so it has to be from another show. Just curious and I checked Leeds, no lord I miss you there.

By the way, nothing in the original that could justify the edit. It just makes me wonder. Could it be that Bob just miked up the files and made a mistake?

C

I checked about 10 sources, and it actually is amazing we never noticed it before, but Miss You is quite doctored with.

Compared to the original broadcast Jagger's voice is overdubbed in places. It's really overdubs, not taken from other shows. Then Jagger's rhtyhm guitar is overdubbed -on the original broadcast it is messy and sloppy, on the various radio broadcasts and this release it is tight as hell. Then on some radio broadcasts there's a third guitar added, which clearly is Keith Richards. He plays much the same rhythhm guitar as his original parts, except for some solo licks that he does on the original gigs. On some radio broadcasts the third guitar is clearly audible, on this new release there's just hints and echo's audible in places. Then the track is sped up for the radio broadcasts, but keeping the relative key. They clearly thought the pace was too slow for the broadcasts.

It seems to me that the tracks from this gig that where considered for inclusion on the 'Dire Straits' album (later Still Life) all have been doctored with -Let's Spend, Shattered, Time IOMS, Going TAGG, Miss You. With Let's Spend it actually is strange Clearmountain kept the guitar for this 2014 release, as the third guitar clearly is a first, failed attempt, not intended to be kept.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 4, 2014 12:40

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-04 12:44 by dcba.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: November 4, 2014 13:04

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-04 13:06 by bonddm.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: November 5, 2014 05:48

hockenheim95
vudicus

Just watched this part and it is clearly overdubbed. How odd. Seems that both the 1st and 2nd verse has the ahh ahh parts overdubbed.

So here is the First one who believes me smiling smiley. This overdub destroys the whole release for me. The "Baby why you wait so long" part sounds odd too.

It's horrendous.

To my ears this sounds like a recent overdub done for this release. And it looks like they use the same line twice in Miss You - with the second time being when he so blatantly doesn't sing what is on the audio. Sounds EXACTLY like the previous line, including the ad libbed "yeah" at the end which sounds very much like current-day Jagger.

It's too bad. The sound on this blu-ray is fantastic. And while the picture craps out during the less-lit songs in the middle (especially during Beast Of Burden --the last half of which looks like a 2nd generation VHS) it looks fantastic given the source.

The camera work is refreshing, edited like you are interested in watching the band work. Longer shots, lots of band interaction, and some wonderfully lost ideas like the fantastic shot from behind during Beast of Burden (again) where Bill and Ernie Watts seem to be having a conversation between ripping off licks during a jam.
The combination shots of various players would never make it today. There's also a refreshing lack of stupid, swooshing crane shots from over the audience (does anyone actually LIKE these?).

While it would be intriguing to see more of this audience from a nostalgia point of view, it is also nice to be spared the gratuitous audience cuts to "amazed-looking cute girl", "dad with kids," and "cutting-wild-for-the-weekend MILF in her too-tight Stones' cropped t-shirt." Of course most of this audience doesn't fall into those categories. Except maybe the cute girl, but she's less amazed-looking and more high-on-her-boyfriend's-weed looking, with her long straight brunette hair and Stones' baseball jersey tour shirt. Or a white turtleneck.

The sound/mix brings to life the band's playing unlike any of the bootlegs from the broadcast ever could. (It was not a TRUE stereo broadcast as I remember).

Anyone who is STILL not a fan of the "Ronnie Wood era" (as if it is _still_ just a phase they are going through...) need only watch and listen to the absolute CLINIC Keith and the band put on during "When The Whip Comes Down."

If you don't call that great, I'm not sure how you can claim an appreciation for this band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 05:50 by JMARKO.

Date: November 5, 2014 10:41

JMARKO

It's horrendous.

To my ears this sounds like a recent overdub done for this release. And it looks like they use the same line twice in Miss You - with the second time being when he so blatantly doesn't sing what is on the audio. Sounds EXACTLY like the previous line, including the ad libbed "yeah" at the end which sounds very much like current-day Jagger.

It's not recent overdubs, the dubs on Miss You are present on the very first KBFH broadcasts from 1982. They did an editing/overdubbing session in New York in March/April 1982, and that's where these dubs come from. Btw, Time Is On My Side is even more attrocious to watch....

JMARKO

The sound/mix brings to life the band's playing unlike any of the bootlegs from the broadcast ever could. (It was not a TRUE stereo broadcast as I remember).

Anyone who is STILL not a fan of the "Ronnie Wood era" (as if it is _still_ just a phase they are going through...) need only watch and listen to the absolute CLINIC Keith and the band put on during "When The Whip Comes Down."

If you don't call that great, I'm not sure how you can claim an appreciation for this band.

Hampton simply remains my ever favourite concert by the Stones -it really showcases the best ever form of the Stones as a band. As a unit they just have never been better, and especially Richards and Wyman are in their absolute prime. Whip isn't the only clinic in my opinion -Imagination is a pure showcase of how to jam on 2 chords, with a mind boggling Wyman and a terrific Ernie Watts as bonus.

Mathijs

Date: November 5, 2014 11:32

It's beyond unfathomable that the Stones (Mick?) didn't have enough confidence in this performance - one of the best shows they ever did - to avoid those unnecessary overdubs.

I can understand re-doing Keith's back up vocals for TIOMS, but the other things? Nah... Looking forward to the release anyhow. I'm on my way to the record store now smiling smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 5, 2014 12:13

Reading you guys, I got a strange feeling that Stones purists are even worth than Zappa's fans. Those did not moan every time Zappa messed around with injection of 1981 solo into 1988 concert or vice versa or something like that. Just relax, get into the grove and listen to the mysic winking smiley.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 5, 2014 12:39

I bought the 3LP set yesterday.
My first impression is that the pressing seems to sound better than the Live in Texas. Maybe am I wrong ?
And sure, it's a good concert with lot of guitars, energy and extended jams !
And Bill is very very good ! I dream that he could be higher in the mix.

For me highlights are Whip, Beast of Burden and Miss you !

Start me up is kind of sloppy ... Is it the guitar incident version ?
edit : I just checked, the guitar incident took place during Satisfaction

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 12:41 by djgab.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: November 5, 2014 12:51

Its been said millions of times but I'll say it again. Wyman is a superb bassist, he has a natural feel for the music. And his tone...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 5, 2014 13:09

slowhand
bonddm
Is there a 5.1 mix on the DVD/blu ray?

NedKellyBandit
Yes.
1. LPCM Stereo
2. DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

THE main reason to get the Blu-ray version...you won't get that on the DVD.

Main and only reason given the video source ? Does the DVD have a DD 5.1 mix maybe ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 5, 2014 13:41

got mine in the mail yesterday . noticed all the extra backstage stuff is not listed, and i will have to watch it in the next few days to see and hear all of this stuff about the edits .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 13:42 by TheGreek.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 5, 2014 13:58

Mathijs
JMARKO

It's horrendous.

It's not recent overdubs, the dubs on Miss You are present on the very first KBFH broadcasts from 1982. They did an editing/overdubbing session in New York in March/April 1982, and that's where these dubs come from. Btw, Time Is On My Side is even more attrocious to watch....

JMARKO

Hampton simply remains my ever favourite concert by the Stones -it really showcases the best ever form of the Stones as a band. As a unit they just have never been better, and especially Richards and Wyman are in their absolute prime. Whip isn't the only clinic in my opinion -Imagination is a pure showcase of how to jam on 2 chords, with a mind boggling Wyman and a terrific Ernie Watts as bonus.

Mathijs

Agreed; the version of 'Imagination' is just stunning. On the official LSTNT movie (which I still love actually), 'Imagination' was absoloutely the highlight - Wyman, Ernie Watts and Keith all playing beautifully; just a joy to watch. The Hampton version equals it, a longer version, beautifully played; Bill is amazing in particular!

This release reminds just how important Bill was to the sound; he makes such a difference. It's a part of the sound they've lost, as good as Darryl is, his lines just don't swagger like Wyman's did.

Hampton DVD is a joy to watch; I'd seen the bootleg many-a-time, but this version is far superior, have already watched it twice this week. Alike the 1978 DVD, this reminds me why I love these guys so much!

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 5, 2014 14:56

Mine arrived yesterday. Looking forward to watching it at the weekend in spite of Miss You - gategrinning smiley

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 5, 2014 15:29

The 5.1 sound is stunning, at least to these 63 year old ears...smiling smiley If I'm not mistaken the LA '75 release won't have surround sound?

Date: November 5, 2014 16:33

Hi ya'll,

I was born in Norfolk, Va. about 20 mins from Hampton. Still live in Norfolk.
My memories of their time here are like yesterday. Really looking forward to getting this. The Stones were spotted all over town, make-shift banners everywhere from people trying to win tickets. I tried everything, but did not make it. I was only 14 but a very big Stones fan. Also know of a lot of people getting in with Kinks tickets, as they were playing a couple of weeks later. And they actually took tickets at the gate, instead of at the door. (if my memory permits it). Charlie was spotted in Williamsburg, Wyman at a mall in Norfolk. Mick pretty much stayed in a fancy area/hotel in Williamsburg, about 30 - 40 mins from Hampton. A very very exciting time.

So I remember a lot of people being upset about the fact that the broadcast was blacked out in this area. (There was a back and forth if they would do it.) VERY UPSET!! However they did allow it be played on the radio love. BUT!! At the very last min. they allowed (I believe radio station K-94's camera's) the first 3-4 songs to be shown live as it happened. Now this was not from the broadcast but from the radio stations camera's.(K-94 had a little weekly music video program on the local TV). Looking at the front of the stage, it was filmed from the left side, one camera, minimal zooming in. It looked a lot different from the broadcast.

Has anyone seen this? Made a copy? Anyone in the Tidewater area remember this?
Would be interested in hearing other stories about it.

And I finally got to see The Stones every American tour, 13 times now, starting in 1989.

Great site, great people here.

Thanks

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 5, 2014 18:47

Rollin92
Its been said millions of times but I'll say it again. Wyman is a superb bassist, he has a natural feel for the music. And his tone...

After all the back and forth about Wyman I think the simple answer is what you've hit upon. There are things that can't be taught. Bill did get better, rapidly, as the band progressed, but you can't teach feel. Darryl can do scale runs and do tricks, but it doesn't cut it emotionally. Bill is a natural.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 5, 2014 19:11

24FPS
Rollin92

After all the back and forth about Wyman I think the simple answer is what you've hit upon. There are things that can't be taught. Bill did get better, rapidly, as the band progressed, but you can't teach feel. Darryl can do scale runs and do tricks, but it doesn't cut it emotionally. Bill is a natural.
also Daryl is a hired gun and told what to play and how to play it , and his volume is lower in the sound mix as opposed to how Bill was mixed in the board . Daryl can play with the best of them , don't believe me check any sounboards from the voodoo lounge tour and you will notice a big difference in his playing style . Daryl did some very phenomonal runs and played some really tastee jazz style that was out of this world . bottom line the guy can play with anyone , but at the end of the day he is not Bill Wyman.

Date: November 5, 2014 19:24

I doubt that Darryl was told what to play. Otherwise, I agree totally.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 5, 2014 19:51

I personally believe that one of the reasons Keith looooves Darryl so much is because Darryl stays completely out of the way when they play together. Unlike Bill who's playing got up against Keith's and rubbed up against it, pushing and pulling every note--Darryl is more conservative and leaves Keith alone.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 5, 2014 20:34

Mathijs

It seems to me that the tracks from this gig that where considered for inclusion on the 'Dire Straits' album (later Still Life) all have been doctored with -Let's Spend, Shattered, Time IOMS, Going TAGG, Miss You. With Let's Spend it actually is strange Clearmountain kept the guitar for this 2014 release, as the third guitar clearly is a first, failed attempt, not intended to be kept.

Mathijs

It's not recent overdubs, the dubs on Miss You are present on the very first KBFH broadcasts from 1982. They did an editing/overdubbing session in New York in March/April 1982, and that's where these dubs come from. .

This has been my suggestion as well when those examples started to pop up ("Miss You" is also news to me) that the over-dub sessions for STILL LIFE was there were used when these new releases were produced and mixed. However, I didn't know the overdubs were also in those early broadcastings in 1982. Since I am not familiar with latters, is the case that nothing has added since 1982 - it is the KBFH broadcasts just mixed differently and polished what we hear now? That's basically all what Clearmountain did?

By the way, does Don Was had any role? Not a word about him in the new release. Wasn't he heavily involved producing the download version?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 20:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 5, 2014 20:52

Justin
I personally believe that one of the reasons Keith looooves Darryl so much is because Darryl stays completely out of the way when they play together. Unlike Bill who's playing got up against Keith's and rubbed up against it, pushing and pulling every note--Darryl is more conservative and leaves Keith alone.

Yeah, and he pretty much leaves everyone else out of the way with his playing to. He doesn't connect with the music they play. Simple as that. That's because he's not a rock and roll bass player. His format is R&B, soul, fusion, jazz etcetera. He has played with the Stones for 20 years now and still doesn't connect with the music they play. Bill may be technically inferior but he connects with the band. He embodies the music.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 5, 2014 21:17

Stoneage
Justin

Yeah, and he pretty much leaves everyone else out of the way with his playing to. He doesn't connect with the music they play. Simple as that. That's because he's not a rock and roll bass player. His format is R&B, soul, fusion, jazz etcetera. He has played with the Stones for 20 years now and still doesn't connect with the music they play. Bill may be technically inferior but he connects with the band. He embodies the music.

I think Darryl purposely chooses to stay out of the way. Instead of filling in the hole that Wyman left, Darryl seems to be honoring Wyman by leaving the hole unfilled so to speak. Darryl came in to fill in the duty of a bass player but never once encroached in Wyman territory. He knew it would be a daunting task and also subject to much scrutiny. Additionally, it's possible he just has way too much respect for the band that he refuses to take any personal "ownership" of the music he plays like Wyman did. Who knows the real reason but it appears that Darryl and more importantly, the band is more than happy with what he IS doing. I'm sure they've enjoyed just how much freedom Darryl has given back to them--it's certainly changed the whole group's sound no doubt about that. In the end, if it works for them then it works for me even though I wish Darryl would more of his stamp on the music.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 5, 2014 21:45

Watching Loving Cup from the other night Keith and Darryl have a moment where they are really enjoying each other. I'm not a musician but I would say Darryl is sympathetic to the band with his style.

Posted by: artinis1 ()
Date: November 5, 2014 23:01

Is the blu-ray widescreen?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 5, 2014 23:27

Maindefender
Watching Loving Cup from the other night Keith and Darryl have a moment where they are really enjoying each other. I'm not a musician but I would say Darryl is sympathetic to the band with his style.

Instead of pushing and pulling them into shape like Bill did, and which they obviously needed. Face it, their sound is less interesting without Bill. Darryl can wail away all day and none of it stands out. I hear him play and think, "There, put a note there. For god sakes denote some emotion." Maybe that's the problem. Maybe the music doesn't mean anything to Darryl. They can all pal around on stage and collect their paychecks, but there's no investment.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home