Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28
Re: "From The Vault"- Hampton 1981 on 3 November
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 7, 2014 13:32

i watched hampton last night and the quality is very good , but seems pretty much the same good quality as the pay per view.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 7, 2014 14:14

brownsugar86
Well chuffed with the dvd, what a show. Much prefer the fact it's filmed in real time and you wait around in between songs - not cutting away every 5 seconds from show to show like the LSTNT film.
The sounds a-mazing. The intro of them all back stage and going on is magic, as well as Keith's birthday intro. By the second half though I found Mick a bit tedious and cringe worthy with all his topless OTT posing, not cool. I prefer the modern day Mick, he's pure class theses days. But apart from that, it's gold for a Stones fan.

Hard to believe you find Mick tedious in one of thier best concerts ever imho.

Date: November 7, 2014 14:23

Bill as usual is on top form.

how great...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2014 16:32

odean73
brownsugar86
Well chuffed with the dvd, what a show. Much prefer the fact it's filmed in real time and you wait around in between songs - not cutting away every 5 seconds from show to show like the LSTNT film.
The sounds a-mazing. The intro of them all back stage and going on is magic, as well as Keith's birthday intro. By the second half though I found Mick a bit tedious and cringe worthy with all his topless OTT posing, not cool. I prefer the modern day Mick, he's pure class theses days. But apart from that, it's gold for a Stones fan.

I'd take Mick's topless posing from 1981 than Roger Daltrey's from 2015.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 7, 2014 16:37

treaclefingers
odean73
brownsugar86

Seriously. Really hope Roger keeps his shirt on for the upcoming tour.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 7, 2014 16:42

They could designed a "special" harcore fans box with two extra CDs of the Dec. 19 show (last show of the tour) which was equally superb.

Similarly for the L.A. 75 DVD they could designed a "special" harcore fans box with two extra CDs of the Aug. 8 show (last show of the tour) which was equally rotten! >grinning smiley<

Date: November 7, 2014 16:57

dcba
They could designed a "special" harcore fans box with two extra CDs of the Dec. 19 show (last show of the tour) which was equally superb.

Similarly for the L.A. 75 DVD they could designed a "special" harcore fans box with two extra CDs of the Aug. 8 show (last show of the tour) which was equally rotten! >grinning smiley<

I have a boot of the LA vid that I got years ago. Pretty good quality but I'm going to get the dvd when it comes out. They certainly were playing everything fast that show. Very hyper. Think possibly there were some nefarious activities going on backstage.winking smiley

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 7, 2014 17:44

TheGreek
i watched hampton last night and the quality is very good , but seems pretty much the same good quality as the pay per view.

I thought the quality was much improved on this official release; incredibly clear picture, amazing sound; a keeper!

Really looking forward to next Friday and getting the L.A. 1975!! The boot is good, but if it's in similar excellent quality like Hampton (the 'Star Star' clip is very good), then it's going to be a major Stones treat!!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 7, 2014 17:45

I bought it directly from RS.com

Surprisingly for once it was the cheapest option!

C

Date: November 7, 2014 17:59

liddas
I bought it directly from RS.com

Surprisingly for once it was the cheapest option!

C

Hampton? How much did you pay?

I purchased it in the record store here in Oslo for approximately $50.

I got LA via Amazon UK for €21, shipping included!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 7, 2014 18:19

21 + cents shipping included

C

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 7, 2014 20:01

I got the LA DVD from amazon in the states for $10 USD. They even alerted me in my e-mail so I'd know about the cheaper price. I got the Hampton Blu Ray for $14.88 USD. Both will have something I'm looking forward, good visuals on LA and great sound on Hampton.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: November 7, 2014 20:03

I love this from the vault surprises. See what comes out next.
My top wish list of all time:

100 club gig for Stu
El Mocambo

Anyone knows for sure if there were any cameras in those gigs?

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: November 7, 2014 20:48

treaclefingers
SharksWillCry
I don't know about that. From what I've seen of the '78 tour, Keith was in full control of his faculties, as was Ron (in contrast to '81). I realize that it was "perceived as being full of problems" but the recent '78 Live in Texas has probably changed that perception. Hell, I've got the Hampton Blu-ray and LP on order because the samples sound so good. It may well change my perception of that '81 tour.

It will never be this good again, folks (or maybe it will). Two freaking archive releases within a month and the Stones are on tour.

We've had an amazing 5 year run, starting with the release of GYYYO superdeluxe box set. The amount of material, archive releases, the tour, inclusion of Taylor, it's been fantastic times as a fan.

Could only really additionally wish for a new album.

I kind of disagree. Really nothing from the Stones best period 69-72. Not one release of new material. Just a few things on the Ya Yas set. The Ladies and Gentlemen release was pretty shoddy quality, really not much better than many of the boots we have been watching for many years. And not one 72 complete show has been released. I often wonder what the Stones are thinking. I mean how greedy can you be ?

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: November 7, 2014 21:12

Why greedy,? for sure they are putting out the best they have, imagewisw and soundwise.
They probably haven´t found anything better from 69/72 that we´ve alredy seen

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: November 7, 2014 22:20

varilla
Why greedy,? for sure they are putting out the best they have, imagewisw and soundwise.

I doubt that they don't have better material. I am sure they have lots of it. After all, all of those shows were recorded by the Stones. I think they just don't want to deal with the hassle of going through and cleaning up material that appeals to a small and diminishing group of fans, those of us who grew up with the Stones in the 60s and 70s. They would rather take shows that are already ciruclating and invest a minimal amount of time and money in them. I mean the Hampton show and the Brussles 73 show have been out for years. Why do they need to release those ? Why not give us something truly new ? As Bill Graham once said of Jagger: " He is a fantastic performer. But he is an egotistical creep of a person." I would agree

Date: November 8, 2014 00:09

24FPS
I got the LA DVD from amazon in the states for $10 USD. They even alerted me in my e-mail so I'd know about the cheaper price. I got the Hampton Blu Ray for $14.88 USD. Both will have something I'm looking forward, good visuals on LA and great sound on Hampton.

I meant the 3 LP/DVD edition.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 8, 2014 00:29

tornnfrayed
I mean the Hampton show and the Brussles 73 show have been out for years. Why do they need to release those ? Why not give us something truly new ?

This is a very selfish, narrow-minded way of looking at the situation.

Is it such a bad thing to finally have some of the Stones best performances--that were only available to fans through underground/bootleg methods---be shared OFFICIALLY with the world? News flash: not everyone downloads bootlegs...Brussels or Hampton isn't going to pop up in a search in Amazon. With these new releases, they finally can now.

The only thing they should be accused for isn't greed but laziness (and borderline ignorance) for keeping these concerts away so long. Now casual and new fans have 2 more options they could go to to see the Stones in all their greatness. Led Zeppelin and The Who all have great live stuff out there and the Stones were always limited with vintage concerts. They're catching up now and that can only be a good thing for the band and their legacy.

Releasing other performances that have never been seen before would be great, obviously but they'd be idiotic to not release the stuff they DO have that they know have been hugely popular amongst the core fans first.

Date: November 8, 2014 01:30

tornnfrayed
varilla

I doubt that they don't have better material. I am sure they have lots of it. After all, all of those shows were recorded by the Stones. I think they just don't want to deal with the hassle of going through and cleaning up material that appeals to a small and diminishing group of fans, those of us who grew up with the Stones in the 60s and 70s. They would rather take shows that are already ciruclating and invest a minimal amount of time and money in them. I mean the Hampton show and the Brussles 73 show have been out for years. Why do they need to release those ? Why not give us something truly new ? As Bill Graham once said of Jagger: " He is a fantastic performer. But he is an egotistical creep of a person." I would agree

You spend several lines making an argument, they're lazy, and then sum up with something completely unrelated, Mick's egotistical.

I'm not against your having a different point of view, I'm against the fact you're incoherent. PLUS, how would you know whether he's an egotistical creep, again even though that has absolutely nothing to do with your argument?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 8, 2014 02:04

A positive review : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: November 8, 2014 03:02

tornnfrayed
treaclefingers
SharksWillCry
I don't know about that. From what I've seen of the '78 tour, Keith was in full control of his faculties, as was Ron (in contrast to '81). I realize that it was "perceived as being full of problems" but the recent '78 Live in Texas has probably changed that perception. Hell, I've got the Hampton Blu-ray and LP on order because the samples sound so good. It may well change my perception of that '81 tour.

It will never be this good again, folks (or maybe it will). Two freaking archive releases within a month and the Stones are on tour.

We've had an amazing 5 year run, starting with the release of GYYYO superdeluxe box set. The amount of material, archive releases, the tour, inclusion of Taylor, it's been fantastic times as a fan.

I kind of disagree. Really nothing from the Stones best period 69-72. Not one release of new material. Just a few things on the Ya Yas set. The Ladies and Gentlemen release was pretty shoddy quality, really not much better than many of the boots we have been watching for many years. And not one 72 complete show has been released. I often wonder what the Stones are thinking. I mean how greedy can you be ?

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: November 8, 2014 03:10

So I'm a newbie to the stones, although I grew up with them in the background, I only became an enthusiast in 2012 - very late to the party. I loved ladies and gentleman ( seeing The Glimmers glimmering together with Mick T effortlessly flowing behind them eg Dead Flowers) and 1981 Hampton with Keith possibly in his prime. For me, these releases are a revelation and I'm really glad to have them. I hope younger people who have attended this years tour with parents and grandparents will be tempted to see them in their glory days in these vault releases.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 8, 2014 03:20

treaclefingers
odean73
brownsugar86

Roger would still kick Mick's skinny ass

Date: November 8, 2014 04:15

black n blue
treaclefingers
odean73
brownsugar86

Roger would still kick Mick's skinny ass

Yes Roger could...if he could lift his leg as high as Mick's ass.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 8, 2014 06:03

It's too bad there isn't someone objective who can go into the Stones Archives and catalogue what exactly is in there. There might be some real treasures that the group itself, meaning Mick, doesn't understand the value to. I still don't understand why they've never released their promo films. It would be a nice little stocking stuffer.

Date: November 8, 2014 09:04

24FPS
It's too bad there isn't someone objective who can go into the Stones Archives and catalogue what exactly is in there. There might be some real treasures that the group itself, meaning Mick, doesn't understand the value to. I still don't understand why they've never released their promo films. It would be a nice little stocking stuffer.

Yes, I've always thought that as well...their complete promo library on a couple of DVD's. Yeah, we can get most of it on youtube but all the same...

Date: November 8, 2014 09:29

EJM
tornnfrayed
treaclefingers
SharksWillCry

The Brussels Affair was new. Only two songs from the old bootleg.

Date: November 8, 2014 09:31

24FPS

Some of them were released on the SG Deluxe release.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 8, 2014 10:43

Just got it today, and I haven't had a chance to properly view it or listen yet (and I haven't seen much of it before), but first impression is that I'm pretty surprised at how coked up they are, even by Rolling Stones standards.

Date: November 8, 2014 11:17

Sipuncula
Just got it today, and I haven't had a chance to properly view it or listen yet (and I haven't seen much of it before), but first impression is that I'm pretty surprised at how coked up they are, even by Rolling Stones standards.

Wait until you see (& hear)eye rolling smiley LA 1975!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home