Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Poor ticket sales to jeopardize fall US tour leg??
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:28

Woz
After they blow the roof off the Staples center in LA with MT featured in an Exile mini-set remaining tickets for the remainder of the tour will sell promptly. In the end, every show will sell out.
yeah, because the 600's will go for $85 and seats will be distributed in many ways to paper the house. There will not be a fall tour, obviously.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:12

headly123
I paid $15 for front row seats from a scalper to see the Eagles one time. My friends thought was nuts . We were sitting around one night having some herbal refreshment and remembered that were playing so we just thought what the hell. Let's just go and get some seats and listen so some music and ended up front. Funny thing was when we were hanging out waiting for the opening act some guy starting talking to us. Just nice chit chat. Then he left and a few minutes later the lights went down and the opening act came on. WE were sitting there listening and I turned to my friends and said. Hey weren't we just talking to that guy ? Turns out it was Jimmy Buffett. Go figure. He gave us a nod and played a nice set. Anyway times have changed and the Stones haven't stopped screwing their fans for years now. This Forum is full of posts about people talking about ticket prices. Ten and fifteen years ago when they started their Vegas Stage act people bought into it because they thought this is it. The last tour. So they went along with it. Well now the economy sucks and the prices went up to see them and I don't know for sure that everyone is buying into one. They may fill the arenas but only with corporate and other people with various methods . Because I am not paying $185 to sit in the rafters. One that is BS and two I am afraid of heights.

My post from another string. It looks like this is a good fit for my response....

With due respect all the posts seem to be on the demand side of the equation. I work for a publically traded company and all of our business is generated through a public RFP bidding process.

Many of our contracts are in excess of $50 million annually. Once we win an award there is usually a substantial startup cost for implementation. In many cases 10% to 20% of the first year gross. This doesn’t include a performance bond equal to one year of our cost of goods. Meaning what we would pay our sub-contractors.

If you plug those factors in what is obviously a first class run tour. I don't think the ticket prices are that far off the mark. You also have to factor in seats that don’t sell.

Multiplying the ticket cost by the number of seats and then dividing it by the band member is just stupid.

As I see it, the cat bird seat is having the ability of being over 50. Smoking dope all your life and bitching about ticket cost and corporate bonuses. When in actuality you haven’t a clue of economics and how the real world works.

If someone is offended they should stay home. Voice their opinion by not buying a seat rather than going on some diatribe when the only thing being accomplished is showing ignorance.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:49

What on earth are you on about gadawg?
This is about supply and demand. The hubris in misreading consumer sentiment is epic in this instance.

It's also a case study in poor marketing and promotion.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 2, 2013 20:27

After 6 years away from stage and they can not sell some 350.000 tickets in USA in May / June, there will be no tour in US this fall.

Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: May 2, 2013 21:26

Would AEG be apt to take the proverbial bath, or would they more likely have the risk here taken, subject to being cross-collateralize somehow against the Stones? I'm sure AEG didn't get to being top dog by hooking into losing propositions.

Any signs of post Glastonbury/Hyde Park dates?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

GRC
I know that there have been many posts on ticket sales and it is no secret that there are plenty of the high priced tickets available. I was holding out hoping to catch a show at MSG in the fall, however now I am starting to think that the Fall Tour will not happen. If ticket sales remain sluggish and AEG takes a bath I doubt they will get another promoter to put on a Fall leg of the tour without decreasing their asking price and frankly I don't see that happening. Anyone have thoughts on the Fall now with these ticket sales? Do I just go to Philly?

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: May 2, 2013 21:29

Sorry but there was never any announcement or any indicative speculation about the fall tour in the US. BV speculated about it that things might happen. But I think for July 13th the Stones will call it quits. I also don't think of any European Dates.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 2, 2013 22:34

GADAWG
headly123
I paid $15 for front row seats from a scalper to see the Eagles one time. My friends thought was nuts . We were sitting around one night having some herbal refreshment and remembered that were playing so we just thought what the hell. Let's just go and get some seats and listen so some music and ended up front. Funny thing was when we were hanging out waiting for the opening act some guy starting talking to us. Just nice chit chat. Then he left and a few minutes later the lights went down and the opening act came on. WE were sitting there listening and I turned to my friends and said. Hey weren't we just talking to that guy ? Turns out it was Jimmy Buffett. Go figure. He gave us a nod and played a nice set. Anyway times have changed and the Stones haven't stopped screwing their fans for years now. This Forum is full of posts about people talking about ticket prices. Ten and fifteen years ago when they started their Vegas Stage act people bought into it because they thought this is it. The last tour. So they went along with it. Well now the economy sucks and the prices went up to see them and I don't know for sure that everyone is buying into one. They may fill the arenas but only with corporate and other people with various methods . Because I am not paying $185 to sit in the rafters. One that is BS and two I am afraid of heights.

My post from another string. It looks like this is a good fit for my response....

With due respect all the posts seem to be on the demand side of the equation. I work for a publically traded company and all of our business is generated through a public RFP bidding process.

Many of our contracts are in excess of $50 million annually. Once we win an award there is usually a substantial startup cost for implementation. In many cases 10% to 20% of the first year gross. This doesn’t include a performance bond equal to one year of our cost of goods. Meaning what we would pay our sub-contractors.

If you plug those factors in what is obviously a first class run tour. I don't think the ticket prices are that far off the mark. You also have to factor in seats that don’t sell.

Multiplying the ticket cost by the number of seats and then dividing it by the band member is just stupid.

As I see it, the cat bird seat is having the ability of being over 50. Smoking dope all your life and bitching about ticket cost and corporate bonuses. When in actuality you haven’t a clue of economics and how the real world works.

If someone is offended they should stay home. Voice their opinion by not buying a seat rather than going on some diatribe when the only thing being accomplished is showing ignorance.

Someone really enjoys the sound of their own voice. Please be careful not to break your arm patting yourself on the back.

"Voice their opinion by not buying a seat rather than going on some diatribe"

Yeah, we wouldn't want Rolling Stones fans to engage in a conversation about the single most pressing issue regarding the Stones at the moment on a Rolling Stones fan site. Perhaps we should speak about the price to earnings ratio of your "publically traded company" or the finer points of the RFP bidding process.

"I work for a publically traded company and all of our business is generated through a public RFP bidding process. any of our contracts are in excess of $50 million annually. Once we win an award there is usually a substantial startup cost for implementation. In many cases 10% to 20% of the first year gross. This doesn’t include a performance bond equal to one year of our cost of goods. Meaning what we would pay our sub-contractors"

Sweet Jesus, that is the single douchiest thing I have ever seen on a site about a rock band...I'd like to repsond to that by saying...Who cares? We get it, your a titan of industry, but what does that have to do with a band charging $650 for a ticket that other bands (Springsteen for example) charge $65 for? I think it is you who is avoiding the facts in an effort to prove to all the little people that you are a person of great importance. For the record I have taken notice of your status as a titan.

Fact of the matter is that this tour is grossly overpriced and you don't need to be Warren Buffet to figure it out.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 22:44 by James Kirk.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:52

Who is this chowder head ? You can take your RFP and stick it. I am not 50 and I don't smoke dope . Sounds to me like you are one of the corporate idiots who empower power people like the Stones to over charge . Everyone on here gets is costs money to put on a show. It's a friggen band . Not the second coming. The real world is spinning out of control because of jerks like you . When you win a contract you aren't losing money. If you do then your are a dumb ass. But if you are bidding on Government contract then it a license to print money . You just over charge them for everything. Then dope like you can buy seats for $650 a pop and hand them out under the table to all the other creeps who helped you win your contract.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:53

"I work for a publically traded company"

to be fair, there are thousands of janitors who work for IBM who could say that truthfully. It doesn't really enhance your point (whatever that was).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 01:54 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 3, 2013 02:07

GADAWG
headly123

Spot on GaDawg, well said. Now be prepared to face the onslaught of the critics to your factual post. Job well done.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 3, 2013 02:30

On a positive note, this should set a warning to major promoters to stop making silly offers. The public is no longer interested in their dick waving contest.

Date: May 3, 2013 02:36

James Kirk
GADAWG

"I work for a publically traded company and all of our business is generated through a public RFP bidding process. any of our contracts are in excess of $50 million annually. Once we win an award there is usually a substantial startup cost for implementation. In many cases 10% to 20% of the first year gross. This doesn’t include a performance bond equal to one year of our cost of goods. Meaning what we would pay our sub-contractors"

Sweet Jesus, that is the single douchiest thing I have ever seen on a site about a rock band

Now that's some mighty fine postin' there.
Big ups, James Kirk smileys with beer

Date: May 3, 2013 02:43

RSbestbandever
GADAWG
headly123

Spot on GaDawg, well said. Now be prepared to face the onslaught of the critics to your factual post. Job well done.

You mean "as I see it, the cat bird seat is having the ability of being over 50".
Sounds like scrapped lyrics from I Am The Walrus.
And then there's the irony about the diatribe against diatribes.
Criticism, nah.... Mockery perhaps, but it's almost too easy.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 3, 2013 03:02

Grison
Sorry but there was never any announcement or any indicative speculation about the fall tour in the US. BV speculated about it that things might happen. But I think for July 13th the Stones will call it quits. I also don't think of any European Dates.

Actually, when asked about more dates, Mick said they on "Planet Rock" the day the tour was announced that they would take the summer off after the UK shows and then look at other possibilities in the fall.

If they had been able to laugh all the way to the bank like they did after the 5 shows last year, and like they'll probably be able to do this time again thanks to AEG jumping in head first (probably dissing Dainty and Branson in the process...) and taking a bath, there's little doubt they would have turned their attention to Europe to fleece the fans there as well.

Obviously they'll still be able to play if they want to but charging €139 for the top tickets like everyone else, well let's make it €150. I doubt they'll be interested...first because they never needed the money in the first place and because they could only view it as an insult. Music or their legacy hasn't been part of the equation for a long time I'm afraid...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 03:57

stonehearted
there are only a limited number of people who will pay $300 an hour for a rock band to pose and play 3 chords, no matter how legendary the group.

Then they should have kept ticket prices the same but announced, "We'll only be playing songs composed by Thelonious Monk."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 04:25 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 3, 2013 05:56

Why on earth would ticket sales have anything to do with their touring? Fact is AEG is a promoter who was overbidding everyone else. We will see tomorrow in LA and on Sunday in Oakland if AEG over-estimated the market.

The Stones have been playing stadiums with sectons not sold out in the past, no worries. They just perform. If it is 15,000 or 19,000 in the arena I don't care. They leave the sales to others. They are paid up-front, before they do play a single song or show. If they were in it for the money only, they would move into Vegas for a few years like Elton John and Celine Dion, with side trips to MSG for some East Coast income every now and then. But point is they love to be on stage. And they love to perform in front of YOU and ME! Not just to anyone... That is why they keep it going.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 3, 2013 06:03

well said, bv

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 3, 2013 06:04

bv
Why on earth would ticket sales have anything to do with their touring? Fact is AEG is a promoter who was overbidding everyone else. We will see tomorrow in LA and on Sunday in Oakland if AEG over-estimated the market.

The Stones have been playing stadiums with sectons not sold out in the past, no worries. They just perform. If it is 15,000 or 19,000 in the arena I don't care. They leave the sales to others. They are paid up-front, before they do play a single song or show. If they were in it for the money only, they would move into Vegas for a few years like Elton John and Celine Dion, with side trips to MSG for some East Coast income every now and then. But point is they love to be on stage. And they love to perform in front of YOU and ME! Not just to anyone... That is why they keep it going.

Elton tours extensively outside of Vegas every year...worldwide...with his band, solo, and even with other artists (Leon Russell, for example)...plus he continues to make new music.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: May 3, 2013 06:23

These shows will sell out. People are holding out for a better price.
It may be the last time. The seats will fill and if not its our loss.
This will probably be the last time to see the "Greatest Rock N Roll Band"
They never said we were going to get more shows. They already did NYC.
Although one last show at MSG would be a great going away party.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: May 3, 2013 06:55

My 2 Cents:

1. The whole floor outside the pit should be general admission for $85. It would be a much more exciting concert. Much better for mixing, magic and marijuana!

2. The shows will not sell out. They will upgrade/pad the venue with the $85 ticket buyers and other giveaways. They should pad the house with 'Honky Tonk Women'!!

3. There will not be a fall USA tour.

4. If we get more Stones it will be DEC/JAN/FEB in Argentina, Brasil, Chile and Peru (A much younger and excited audience). Maybe Japan.

5. They are blowing their legacy which will hurt royalties for their grandchildren/heirs.

6. Smart fans know how to navigate all this Doom & Gloom!!

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: May 3, 2013 09:24

There will be a fall tour.

Posted by: CarlG ()
Date: May 3, 2013 09:59

From the start I believed that the $85 mystery tickets were going to act as seat fillers for unsold expensive seats. This would allow the arena to fill in without having to officially lower the price. Worse case they would fill in the top of the arena if by miracle thy sold out at $600 per. I hope I'm right smiling smiley. The other watch point will be how cheap the 600 tickets are outside the arena, predicting $200.

I think the biggest issue is not the price but the number of shows. They probably could get the high prices for one LA show not 4 in the same area (including Anaheim). 3 Chicago shows with 2 more up the road in toronto? Would have been better to charge $100-$200 in the arena and $1000 for the echoplex. smiling smiley

Posted by: CarlG ()
Date: May 3, 2013 10:03

I don't think there will be a fall tour unless it's a handful of stadium dates for the masses... something big so they end as the worlds biggest band not as a band that couldn't sell out arenas.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 3, 2013 10:45

For bv: Agreed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 10:48 by rollingon.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: May 3, 2013 13:31

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-15 12:46 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 13:41

They want the fans pay more than we can pay... I agree. It´s sad to say but they will have a big shame.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 3, 2013 14:16

bv

they love to perform in front of YOU and ME! Not just to anyone... That is why they keep it going.
OF course they do,money means nothing to them is all about the love for the fans...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 14:19 by ROPENI.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 3, 2013 14:25

bv

The Stones have been playing stadiums with sections not sold out in the past, no worries. They just perform. If it is 15,000 or 19,000 in the arena I don't care. They leave the sales to others. They are paid up-front, before they do play a single song or show. If they were in it for the money only, they would move into Vegas for a few years like Elton John and Celine Dion, with side trips to MSG for some East Coast income every now and then. But point is they love to be on stage. And they love to perform in front of YOU and ME! Not just to anyone... That is why they keep it going.

BV, for a man as bright as yourself, this ............ <<< Why on earth would ticket sales have anything to do with their touring? >>> .......... is an extraordinarily silly question in my opinion. I'm most surprised you ask it.

OF course ticket sales have "something to do with touring". Ticket sales, at any particular price, are nothing more or nothing less than "a measure" of peoples' interest in seeing the band. I completely agree with you that once the Stones made their financial demands for performing known (i.e. they specify their guaranteed fee), then it was up to various promoters to bid for the right to promote the band and lay on the tour. BUT - the Rolling Stones themselves, no matter how far removed from the day to day boring humdrum activities of promoting and selling, CANNOT be absolved of some degree of responsibility for the pricing structure that the successful promoter then subsequently came up with.

If they had specified that they wanted a guaranteed $100,000 each for Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie per show, then we more than likely wouldn't be seeing pit packages for $1,500 - would we ? But they didn't ask for a measly $100,000 for each key band member per show, did they ? They asked for a s**tload MORE !!

so whatever else you do, please don't try and sell the argument that there isn't a connection between ticket sales and touring, as if "money isn't an overriding concern to this band. If it wasn't an overriding concern, they wouldn't be charging absurd guaranteed fees, and forcing promoters to come up with equally absurd ticket prices in order to cover their arses !!

The only remotely sensibly priced gigs of this entire run of shows are probably Hyde Park 1 & 2, that's it. The American shows indicate that both parties have taken leave of their senses, the Rolling stones themselves, and similarly their idiotic promoter - AEG.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 3, 2013 15:13

paulywaul
bv

The Stones have been playing stadiums with sections not sold out in the past, no worries. They just perform. If it is 15,000 or 19,000 in the arena I don't care. They leave the sales to others. They are paid up-front, before they do play a single song or show. If they were in it for the money only, they would move into Vegas for a few years like Elton John and Celine Dion, with side trips to MSG for some East Coast income every now and then. But point is they love to be on stage. And they love to perform in front of YOU and ME! Not just to anyone... That is why they keep it going.

BV, for a man as bright as yourself, this ............ <<< Why on earth would ticket sales have anything to do with their touring? >>> .......... is an extraordinarily silly question in my opinion. I'm most surprised you ask it.

OF course ticket sales have "something to do with touring". Ticket sales, at any particular price, are nothing more or nothing less than "a measure" of peoples' interest in seeing the band. I completely agree with you that once the Stones made their financial demands for performing known (i.e. they specify their guaranteed fee), then it was up to various promoters to bid for the right to promote the band and lay on the tour. BUT - the Rolling Stones themselves, no matter how far removed from the day to day boring humdrum activities of promoting and selling, CANNOT be absolved of some degree of responsibility for the pricing structure that the successful promoter then subsequently came up with.

If they had specified that they wanted a guaranteed $100,000 each for Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie per show, then we more than likely wouldn't be seeing pit packages for $1,500 - would we ? But they didn't ask for a measly $100,000 for each key band member per show, did they ? They asked for a s**tload MORE !!

so whatever else you do, please don't try and sell the argument that there isn't a connection between ticket sales and touring, as if "money isn't an overriding concern to this band. If it wasn't an overriding concern, they wouldn't be charging absurd guaranteed fees, and forcing promoters to come up with equally absurd ticket prices in order to cover their arses !!

The only remotely sensibly priced gigs of this entire run of shows are probably Hyde Park 1 & 2, that's it. The American shows indicate that both parties have taken leave of their senses, the Rolling stones themselves, and similarly their idiotic promoter - AEG.

Agree 100% Pauly.

It should have been renamed the "Whoring out the legacy tour"

sc uk

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 15:16

So I'm an accountant for a living. We've all read that they are getting $ 4 M to $ 5 M a night. Let's just assume the average arena holds 16,000. Average ticket price if everyone worked for free and there were no expenses at all would have to be $ 250. That's just the gross to cover just the Stones.

Any doubt as to why the tour prices are so high?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home