Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Poor ticket sales to jeopardize fall US tour leg??
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 26, 2013 00:16

BluzDude
The Stones will get paid for the upcoming shows.
They already have about $20,000,000 in their pocket in advance money for the upcoming shows.

The question is, would they take a reduction for future shows, or just call it quits?

Re: AEG ... either heads are going to roll, or maybe they are just looking for a big tax deduction this year.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out... its like a soap opera at this point.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 26, 2013 00:17

Max'sKansasCity
BluzDude
They already have about $20,000,000 in their pocket in advance money for the upcoming shows.

The question is, would they take a reduction for future shows, or just call it quits?

Re: AEG ... either heads are going to roll, or maybe they are just looking for a big tax deduction this year.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out... its like a soap opera at this point.

Did someone say soap opera...

That is some gasoline for the fire!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 00:36 by flacnvinyl.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 26, 2013 00:21

DaveG
Just read this quote by MJ from the '69 tour:

And Jagger defended the high ticket price of $7.50, saying: “We aren’t doing this tour for money, but because we want to play America and have a lot of fun. We’re really not into that sort of economic scene. I mean, either you’re gonna sing and all that crap or you’re gonna be a @#$%& economist. We’re sorry people can’t afford to come. We don’t know that this tour is more expensive. You’ll have to tell us.”

My, how times have changed!!!!

Well, let's take a look at 1969 vs. 2013 money. In U.S. dollars, adjusted for inflation, $1.00 in 1969 is equal to $6.25 in 2013. Therefore, paying $7.50 a ticket in 1969 would be like paying $46.88 in 2013, which is what it should be--but we, the fans, are required to pay for all the latter-day overhead of Rolling Stones, Inc., like the 46 trucks full of equipment and staging and the Union wages of those who drive them, and the private gourmet chefs assigned to each Rolling Stone--oh, not to forget Mick Jagger's anti-wrinkle eye cream that goes for $1900 per 8.5 ounces (251 milliliters). Fans pay for this type of concert rider, and these outrageous expenses were not there in 1969.

I suspect also that these extraordinarily high ticket prices have a lot to do with the fact that they are not selling albums any longer, or have no new viable albums to sell--unlike in 1969, when an artist could rely on album sales alone to generate income. As of 1969, both the Beatles and Stones had been off the road for years, and with the exception of bad management, they were doing just fine, with their country mansions.

Times indeed have changed.

Date: April 26, 2013 00:23

flacnvinyl
Max'sKansasCity
BluzDude

video: [www.hatfieldmedia.com]

"Days of our Rolling Stones" winking smiley

Date: April 26, 2013 00:27

stonehearted
DaveG
Just read this quote by MJ from the '69 tour:

And Jagger defended the high ticket price of $7.50, saying: “We aren’t doing this tour for money, but because we want to play America and have a lot of fun. We’re really not into that sort of economic scene. I mean, either you’re gonna sing and all that crap or you’re gonna be a @#$%& economist. We’re sorry people can’t afford to come. We don’t know that this tour is more expensive. You’ll have to tell us.”

My, how times have changed!!!!

Well, let's take a look at 1969 vs. 2013 money. In U.S. dollars, adjusted for inflation, $1.00 in 1969 is equal to $6.25 in 2013. Therefore, paying $7.50 a ticket in 1969 would be like paying $46.88 in 2013, which is what it should be--but we, the fans, are required to pay for all the latter-day overhead of Rolling Stones, Inc., like the 46 trucks full of equipment and staging and the Union wages of those who drive them, and the private gourmet chefs assigned to each Rolling Stone--oh, not to forget Mick Jagger's anti-wrinkle eye cream that goes for $1900 per 8.5 ounces (251 milliliters). Fans pay for this type of concert rider, and these outrageous expenses were not there in 1969.

I suspect also that these extraordinarily high ticket prices have a lot to do with the fact that they are not selling albums any longer, or have no new viable albums to sell--unlike in 1969, when an artist could rely on album sales alone to generate income. As of 1969, both the Beatles and Stones had been off the road for years, and with the exception of bad management, they were doing just fine, with their country mansions.

Times indeed have changed.

I was thinking early today, after I typed something about how Charlie and Ronnie do not get paid for albums anyway, so I bet this whole "new way the game is played" (money made on live shows not records) is probably fine by them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 00:27 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 26, 2013 00:34

stonehearted
The Rolling Stones can always get a promoter.

But I see your concern. Ticket sales are not poor because no one wants to go, they're poor because there are only a limited number of people who will pay $300 an hour for a rock band to pose and play 3 chords, no matter how legendary the group. I mean, it's not like they're playing Radio City Music Hall--these are standard crappy arenas that with any other event happening you can get into for a minute fraction of the price.

If shows wind up getting cancelled as a result, then The Stones have only themselves to blame. And if poor ticket sales result in aborted touring schedules and a premature end to their touring days, then it will only be because they shot themselves in the foot by taking the loyalty of their fans for granted.

Perhaps this 50 & Counting tour was a bad idea, and just may be the worst business decision Jagger ever made.

The good (or bad) news is that by show time most all tickets will have been sold and the vast majority of seats will be filled.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 26, 2013 00:42

Max'sKansasCity
flacnvinyl
Max'sKansasCity
BluzDude

Like cash through the ticket office, so are the days of our Stones....

Date: April 26, 2013 00:53

stonehearted
Max'sKansasCity
flacnvinyl
Max'sKansasCity
BluzDude

Like cash through the ticket office, so are the days of our Stones....

Will all the shows sell out?
Will they have to drop prices on more tickets to get a sell out?

How many and which songs will Lumpy Taylor play on?
Will the band be in good form? Will Lumpy be less lumpy?

Will there be a European leg of the tour? or will they go to South America first?

For answers to these and other buring questions about your
favorite band, tune into next time to "Days of our Rolling Stones" que exit music

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 00:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 26, 2013 00:59

Max you are killing me over here.

The other hidden question is whether there will be a flood of refunds to the $85 tickets if the chart above is true.. I can say I would really consider it...

Date: April 26, 2013 01:06

flacnvinyl

The other hidden question is whether there will be a flood of refunds to the $85 tickets if the chart above is true.. I can say I would really consider it...

Well if they sold a 1000 per show, and if the pink seats are in hell, that still leaves a bunch of $85.00 tix in other areas. I bet 10-20 in the pit, and the rest scattered. I am heart broken this is coming up and they are too far away from me to play...... anyway....

I bet we hear $85.00tix stories from people all over the place, with the balance being positve, thus keeping refunds to a minimum. I also bet even if the tickets were marked $85.00 in the attic/rafters, people would buy them.... I just hope people who are placed up there in hell know that they can pull a Milton/Nicholas Cage and Drive Angry and escape, although the accountant/usher may be close behind... just keep moving/driving

Drake, I bet you are either in the pit, or just off stage right... or both, one for each show you attend. Go Johnny GO!!! JOHNNY B GOODE!

btw-
"Drive Angry",
the best bad movie in a long long time, it is so horrilbe that it is awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 01:11 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 26, 2013 01:49

Max'sKansasCity
flacnvinyl

Well if they sold a 1000 per show, and if the pink seats are in hell, that still leaves a bunch of $85.00 tix in other areas. I bet 10-20 in the pit, and the rest scattered. I am heart broken this is coming up and they are too far away from me to play...... anyway....

I bet we hear $85.00tix stories from people all over the place, with the balance being positve, thus keeping refunds to a minimum. I also bet even if the tickets were marked $85.00 in the attic/rafters, people would buy them.... I just hope people who are placed up there in hell know that they can pull a Milton/Nicholas Cage and Drive Angry and escape, although the accountant/usher may be close behind... just keep moving/driving

Drake, I bet you are either in the pit, or just off stage right... or both, one for each show you attend. Go Johnny GO!!! JOHNNY B GOODE!

btw-
"Drive Angry",
That seating can't looked big enough for 1000 people.Their will probably be very few out of those areas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 02:26 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: April 26, 2013 01:57

sweetcharmedlife
Max'sKansasCity
flacnvinyl

btw-
"Drive Angry",
That seating cahrt looked big enough for 1000 people.Their will probably be very few out of those areas.

See that name and it is predictable; a short, curt, nasty, pessimistic comment.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 26, 2013 01:59

I think they should put out an album with them all dressed in Gold Lame suits on the cover and the title being, "50 Million Dollars Can't Be Wrong!".

Date: April 26, 2013 02:04

treaclefingers
I think they should put out an album with them all dressed in Gold Lame suits on the cover and the title being, "50 Million Dollars Can't Be Wrong!".

Are you thinking of Will Ferrell at the MTV awards last week winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 26, 2013 02:09

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

Are you thinking of Will Ferrell at the MTV awards last week winking smiley

That's Purdy...no, I was referring to an iconic Elvis greatest hits album.

Date: April 26, 2013 02:13

Oh, you mean this one...yeah that is... uhm...
well.... I cant bring myself to diss the King.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 26, 2013 02:28

Max'sKansasCity
sweetcharmedlife
Max'sKansasCity
flacnvinyl

btw-
"Drive Angry",
That seating cahrt looked big enough for 1000 people.Their will probably be very few out of those areas.

I'm sory Max. Can I borrow your rose colored glasses. So I can see the world in an unreasonable way too?

Date: April 26, 2013 02:30

sweetcharmedlife
Max'sKansasCity
sweetcharmedlife
Max'sKansasCity
flacnvinyl

btw-
"Drive Angry",

I'm sory Max. Can I borrow your rose colored glasses. So I can see the world in an unreasonable way too?

I wouldnt loan you the dirt I scrape off my shoes

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2013 02:39

This could get interesting. Empty seats? How will that be reported? Rolling Stone magazine would have jumped on that in the past, but are now so buddy buddy with Mick that they'd probably ignore it. I think they've totally miscalculated the depth of the economic misery in the States. People are being very tight with the purse.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 26, 2013 02:45

24FPS
This could get interesting. Empty seats? How will that be reported? Rolling Stone magazine would have jumped on that in the past, but are now so buddy buddy with Mick that they'd probably ignore it. I think they've totally miscalculated the depth of the economic misery in the States. People are being very tight with the purse.
The fact that ANYONE is buying those $600 is baffling to me. I can't believe anyone would spend that much on a concert, especially one you've seen before (I can't imagine anyone paying $600 is seeing the Stones for their first time).

Date: April 26, 2013 02:45

24FPS

It really could get interesting.
What if they start collasping prices?
That might piss off people who paid up, not that it should, I mean if some rich fkr has 6 billion Dollars to blow on tickets, does that change just because most people are broke these days? It could get interesting.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 26, 2013 02:49

Max'sKansasCity
24FPS

It really could get interesting.
What if they start collasping prices?
That might piss off people who paid up, not that it should, I mean if some rich fkr has 6 billion Dollars to blow on tickets, does that change just because most people are broke these days? It could get interesting.
AEG would probably have to make that call, but the Stones would get the blame.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 26, 2013 03:48

Food for thought...

I still haven't recovered from the fact that they are charging $1500 for pit tickets as part of a "dressed-up" VIP package. Sure, most people in the pit in 2012 had bought from scalpers or gotten the VIP packaged (with three course dinner) but what about the others who got lucky on TM or who had access to Shelley's "band tickets" as somewhat of an "acceptable" price?

Mick supposedly wanted "real fans" in front of him at Hyde Park (hence the T1/T2 fiasco) but what kind of fans is he going to get in the pit? Yeah there will be real fans being bled of their money and some people for whom money is no object who just want to be there.

So anyway, yes, if this tour is a dud in terms of audiences that's probably the end, no European mini-tour this fall or in the rest of the world. They could lower the prices, but why would they, it's not like they need the money in the first place, well maybe Ronnie does but he's not going to be a factor.

The 2012 shows were a bad "test run" in terms of determining what the market could bare I think, there was a lot of hype for 5 shows after a 5 year hiatus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 03:52 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: April 26, 2013 04:16

gotdablouse

The 2012 shows were a bad "test run" in terms of determining what the market could bare I think, there was a lot of hype for 5 shows after a 5 year hiatus.

I agree 100%. If they want to move these tickets just come out and say it's the last tour. I respect the fact they won't do that but it would move some seats.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 26, 2013 05:12

You'd think if ticket sales were really as bad as we think they are, someone in the press would have picked up on the story by now, but when you google "poor ticket sales for rolling stones tour" nothing comes up, except links for ticket brokers. grinning smiley

Date: April 26, 2013 05:21

fahthree
gotdablouse

I agree 100%. If they want to move these tickets just come out and say it's the last tour. I respect the fact they won't do that but it would move some seats.
I don't know if anyone would really care. It has to come to be expected now, with them literally being 70. I don't know why anyone wouldn't think this is the end. That would move tickets enough, but everyone that wants to see the Stones probably has by this. Even if they came out and said it was the last time, I don't know if that would justify $600. Its sad, because people actually WANT to see the Stones. So if they kept prices the same as last tour, they'd sell out in no time. By making the cheapest seats $150, there's no reason to see a band 30 years or more past their prime. Mick Taylor suckers the hardcores. Other than that, there's no real incentive, and once you see the price it sours any tastes you might have had.

Date: April 26, 2013 05:38

They should have ended their mega dollar days on a high note last December 15 and went directly to the studio and recorded a new album. They should have resumed touring in late 2013 on a new album but with significantly reduced ticket prices. Their overall legacy is beginning to take some hits.

Date: April 26, 2013 05:51

JumpinJackOLantern
They should have ended their mega dollar days on a high note last December 15 and went directly to the studio and recorded a new album. They should have resumed touring in late 2013 on a new album but with significantly reduced ticket prices. Their overall legacy is beginning to take some hits.
No one wants to hear a new album from them. Least of all casual fans. They have enough to satisfy everyone at this point, yet they choose to just stay with the hits.

Date: April 26, 2013 05:59

RollingFreak
JumpinJackOLantern
No one wants to hear a new album from them. Least of all casual fans. They have enough to satisfy everyone at this point, yet they choose to just stay with the hits.

History demands a new album! Their legacy demands one! I could give a rip about what some high roller casual fan wants! They should be doing everything to close out their careers in style!

Date: April 26, 2013 06:06

JumpinJackOLantern
RollingFreak
JumpinJackOLantern

History demands a new album! Their legacy demands one! I could give a rip about what some high roller casual fan wants! They should be doing everything to close out their careers in style!
They closed out their career in style with A Bigger Bang. That was a good album that I wholeheartedly stand by. I don't know why it gets a bad rap. I can only imagine you are joking with all the "they are afraid to not play warhorses" threads and "the legacy demands" a new album from them. Both you and I know thats not true. If anything, history tells us a new album can only further hurt their reputation, as to many they haven't had an album thats "added" to their career since Tattoo You, possibly even Some Girls. Its enjoyable to read your posts, but I don't take any of them seriously.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home