Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Poor ticket sales to jeopardize fall US tour leg??
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 3, 2013 15:20

<<Agree 100% Pauly>>

thumbs up +1

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 3, 2013 15:28

paulywaul
bv
Why on earth would ticket sales have anything to do with their touring? Fact is AEG is a promoter who was overbidding everyone else. We will see tomorrow in LA and on Sunday in Oakland if AEG over-estimated the market.

The Stones have been playing stadiums with sections not sold out in the past, no worries. They just perform. If it is 15,000 or 19,000 in the arena I don't care. They leave the sales to others. They are paid up-front, before they do play a single song or show. If they were in it for the money only, they would move into Vegas for a few years like Elton John and Celine Dion, with side trips to MSG for some East Coast income every now and then. But point is they love to be on stage. And they love to perform in front of YOU and ME! Not just to anyone... That is why they keep it going.

BV, for a man as bright as yourself, this ............ <<< Why on earth would ticket sales have anything to do with their touring? >>> .......... is an extraordinarily silly question in my opinion. I'm most surprised you ask it.

OF course ticket sales have "something to do with touring". Ticket sales, at any particular price, are nothing more or nothing less than "a measure" of peoples' interest in seeing the band. I completely agree with you that once the Stones made their financial demands for performing known (i.e. they specify their guaranteed fee), then it was up to various promoters to bid for the right to promote the band and lay on the tour. BUT - the Rolling Stones themselves, no matter how far removed from the day to day boring humdrum activities of promoting and selling, CANNOT be absolved of some degree of responsibility for the pricing structure that the successful promoter then subsequently came up with.

If they had specified that they wanted a guaranteed $100,000 each for Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie per show, then we more than likely wouldn't be seeing pit packages for $1,500 - would we ? But they didn't ask for a measly $100,000 for each key band member per show, did they ? They asked for a s**tload MORE !!

so whatever else you do, please don't try and sell the argument that there isn't a connection between ticket sales and touring, as if "money isn't an overriding concern to this band. If it wasn't an overriding concern, they wouldn't be charging absurd guaranteed fees, and forcing promoters to come up with equally absurd ticket prices in order to cover their arses !!

The only remotely sensibly priced gigs of this entire run of shows are probably Hyde Park 1 & 2, that's it. The American shows indicate that both parties have taken leave of their senses, the Rolling stones themselves, and similarly their idiotic promoter - AEG.

Of course they asked for more than $100K each for every show. The highest bidder won. Pretty simple really.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 3, 2013 15:35

Whoever was/is responsable for making the deal at AEG, has probably been fired by now. Already back in 2006-2007, with fairly "reasonable" prices (well...), they had trouble filling stadiums...

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 3, 2013 15:42

paulywaul
bv
Why on earth would ticket sales have anything to do with their touring? Fact is AEG is a promoter who was overbidding everyone else. We will see tomorrow in LA and on Sunday in Oakland if AEG over-estimated the market.

The Stones have been playing stadiums with sections not sold out in the past, no worries. They just perform. If it is 15,000 or 19,000 in the arena I don't care. They leave the sales to others. They are paid up-front, before they do play a single song or show. If they were in it for the money only, they would move into Vegas for a few years like Elton John and Celine Dion, with side trips to MSG for some East Coast income every now and then. But point is they love to be on stage. And they love to perform in front of YOU and ME! Not just to anyone... That is why they keep it going.

BV, for a man as bright as yourself, this ............ <<< Why on earth would ticket sales have anything to do with their touring? >>> .......... is an extraordinarily silly question in my opinion. I'm most surprised you ask it.

OF course ticket sales have "something to do with touring". Ticket sales, at any particular price, are nothing more or nothing less than "a measure" of peoples' interest in seeing the band. I completely agree with you that once the Stones made their financial demands for performing known (i.e. they specify their guaranteed fee), then it was up to various promoters to bid for the right to promote the band and lay on the tour. BUT - the Rolling Stones themselves, no matter how far removed from the day to day boring humdrum activities of promoting and selling, CANNOT be absolved of some degree of responsibility for the pricing structure that the successful promoter then subsequently came up with.

If they had specified that they wanted a guaranteed $100,000 each for Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie per show, then we more than likely wouldn't be seeing pit packages for $1,500 - would we ? But they didn't ask for a measly $100,000 for each key band member per show, did they ? They asked for a s**tload MORE !!

so whatever else you do, please don't try and sell the argument that there isn't a connection between ticket sales and touring, as if "money isn't an overriding concern to this band. If it wasn't an overriding concern, they wouldn't be charging absurd guaranteed fees, and forcing promoters to come up with equally absurd ticket prices in order to cover their arses !!

The only remotely sensibly priced gigs of this entire run of shows are probably Hyde Park 1 & 2, that's it. The American shows indicate that both parties have taken leave of their senses, the Rolling stones themselves, and similarly their idiotic promoter - AEG.
Excellent points Pauly..smileys with beer

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 3, 2013 15:55

uhbuhgullayew
paulywaul
bv

Of course they asked for more than $100K each for every show. The highest bidder won. Pretty simple really.

Er, I'm confused ....... what's your point exactly ?

The point I was making is that is there a direct correlation between the amount the Stones demand as a guarantee (we keep hearing $4m or $5m per show) and the prices the promoter simply has to charge in order to ensure that they do not incur a massive loss. If the promoter is so f***ing stupid as to imagine that he's going to enjoy runaway ticket sales at $600 odd for a seat at the a** end of the arena and $1500 for the pit, then assuming the Rolling Stones themselves do not particularly wish to play to a half empty house - maybe they should also wise up a little and be somewhat more moderate in what they demand as a guarantee.

But maybe they don't give a shit, it's a case of "we want $4m per show", and if there's a promoter out there who wants to take it on, great. And if not .... we don't play.

And that's the other point I was making in response to BV's comment, that of course there's also a direct correlation between them touring and "money", money that is principally generated by ticket sales obviously. If they toured expressly for the love of it, as was implied, then they really wouldn't be going around inviting promoters to bid on promoting them for a series of gigs, providing they were guaranteed $4m a pop. They'd be demanding somewhat less, I'd have thought that would be pretty obvious.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 3, 2013 19:53

Patently obvious, Paulywaul. It's delusional to think otherwise.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 3, 2013 19:56

paulywaul
bv

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 3, 2013 20:10

UrbanSteel
bv

The Stones have been playing stadiums with sectons not sold out in the past, no worries. They just perform. If it is 15,000 or 19,000 in the arena I don't care. They leave the sales to others. They are paid up-front, before they do play a single song or show. If they were in it for the money only, they would move into Vegas for a few years like Elton John and Celine Dion, with side trips to MSG for some East Coast income every now and then. But point is they love to be on stage. And they love to perform in front of YOU and ME! Not just to anyone... That is why they keep it going.

If they love to play for us , they don't sell them self to the highest bidder , but requirements to the bidders a maximum ticket price of $ 350, and also demand a ban on resale to private service ticket sellers of the sister company's.

And if they really love to play for us , what happened in 2008 , 2009 , 2010 , 2011 , and 2012 ?

2007 31 performances
2012 8 performances

That's 39 performances in 6 years , yeah they really love to play for us , and not for the money .

Mick Jagger is not a fool , he knows exactly whats going on .

Cold hard truth at it's best

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 20:13

Paul McCartney charges a ton, but he doesn't get greedy. He makes multiple millions, AEG makes money, everyone is happy. He also does festivals for less money so that younger fans get a chance to see him.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 3, 2013 20:15

andrewt
UrbanSteel
bv

The Stones have been playing stadiums with sectons not sold out in the past, no worries. They just perform. If it is 15,000 or 19,000 in the arena I don't care. They leave the sales to others. They are paid up-front, before they do play a single song or show. If they were in it for the money only, they would move into Vegas for a few years like Elton John and Celine Dion, with side trips to MSG for some East Coast income every now and then. But point is they love to be on stage. And they love to perform in front of YOU and ME! Not just to anyone... That is why they keep it going.

If they love to play for us , they don't sell them self to the highest bidder , but requirements to the bidders a maximum ticket price of $ 350, and also demand a ban on resale to private service ticket sellers of the sister company's.

And if they really love to play for us , what happened in 2008 , 2009 , 2010 , 2011 , and 2012 ?

2007 31 performances
2012 8 performances

That's 39 performances in 6 years , yeah they really love to play for us , and not for the money .

Mick Jagger is not a fool , he knows exactly whats going on .

Cold hard truth at it's best

in most societies it's normal to retire at 65 or 70... surely they deserve some credit for performing tens of thousands of times over the 50 years?

i also believe they are in it for the money, but i do think that it's a little over the top for a fan to complain that the rolling stones haven't played enough concerts.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 3, 2013 20:15

If heads are going to roll at AEG, then the boss will have to fire himself.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 3, 2013 20:44

BluzDude Excellent point!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 3, 2013 21:03

If the tickets were a lot cheaper, the scalpers and the secondary market would take care of business and lots of the tickets would be sold back to customers at a high price. Which one is worst; greedy promoters or greedy scalpers and secondary market?
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 3, 2013 21:05

BluzDude
If heads are going to roll at AEG, then the boss will have to fire himself.
If they can't sell this one. How are they going to sale the next three in Socal?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 4, 2013 00:28

sonomastone

surely they deserve some credit for performing tens of thousands of times over the 50 years?

Tens of thousands of times? Probably closer to two thousand times, and half of those between 1962 and 1967.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2013 04:51

But wasn't the case with this AEG promoted (leg of the) tour that the ex-Virgin guy who promoted the first leg, couldn't get agreed on with band of the upcoming shows (this leg), that is, he didn't accept giving the band so much of money as they wanted, but AEG did? So if now AEG is failing to a degree (as it looks like) it could be the case that it would be rather hard for the band to get as great deal of the upcoming gigs as they did now? They need to go "cheaper" next time, if there will be a tour? Will their "face" stand that?

Simple mathematics, no?

But like BV pointed out, if there will be a full house or nada, the band will get their money in any case, so no problem (for us "followers")... or is there?eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 4, 2013 04:55

tatters
sonomastone

surely they deserve some credit for performing tens of thousands of times over the 50 years?

Tens of thousands of times? Probably closer to two thousand times, and half of those between 1962 and 1967.

you're right. there was a thread about it here: [www.iorr.org]

i think my point still holds though.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2325
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home