Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 30
Re: Why are people so happy that the most expensive tickets aren't selling well?
Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 2, 2013 23:14

NoCode0680
BlackHat
The simple answer is that people don't like greed.

...when they're broke.

That's it in a nutshell, people are broke! The most recent world wide recession has emptied their pockets of disposable income. When given the choice of spending $600 dollars on a concert ticket or groceries, many people are deciding a months worth of food is a better value for the money.

The $85 dollar seat is too rich for some peoples blood but is a much more inviting sum of money to spend. When you factor in a possible pay per view show, the nose bleed seats for $85 dollars or getting 10 people together and spending $8.50 for the best seats in your own home really does become a serious option.

CBII

Re: High Priced Tickets not Selling
Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 2, 2013 23:20

Hound Dog
My friend in Boston told me that this has been all over the radio stations that so many seats for the show there are not selling. Making the Stones look bad

Since I'm not privy to exactly who the promoters are, it's hard for me to see why the band would look bad. The Rolling Stones were retained by some entity to perform X number of concerts for Y amount. It's not up to the band to determine ticket prices in order to make the promoters a profit.

If they are self promoting (renting the venues, advertising etc) this run of shows then that's a different story.

CBII

Date: May 2, 2013 23:21

FirstTimeSeattle81
JumpinJackOLantern
flacnvinyl
In complete honesty... not joking... AES needs to come out an apologize for the pricing. Just straightup say 'we got greedy' and then change the pricing model is a big meaningful way. Ultimately Jagger + Co are responsible for the prices as they signed off on them, BUT, they can save face by saying 'see, they fixed it'.

Tomorrow we will find out if the $85 are really 'throughout the arena' or just 'around the upper deck'. We will find out if they play an adventurous set or if its the same old stuff as the limited 2012 run. If there are big empty sections in the arena, it will be reported.

It stands to reason that the initial $85.00 tickets were a result of the Stones insisting on lower ticket prices during tour negotiations. The promoters probably had no intention of setting any ticket prices that low, but they compromised. So at least thank the Stones for that. The promoters blew it! It's their job to know the market. They smugly set the ticket prices with the 2012 shows in mind thinking it was a lock. They simply miscalculated. Of course we would all feel better if we were to get some kind of announcement that the inflated ticket prices were actually the result of an agreement between the Stones and the promoters to block the scalpers with the end result being additional low priced tickets going to the fans.

Really JumpinJackOLatern? The $85 ticket 'promo' was and is a fumbled PR stunt/bait and switch. The press has so far reported that press release almost verbatim 'Stones tickets are as high as $2,000, but look! you can go for only $85!' I'm certain that the negotiations with Dainty/Virgin collapsed when that promoter did their math and KNEW that the numbers wouldn't work in today's economy. MJ & Co. DO ask for a absolutly guaranteed sum, and that's it. Michael Cohl woo'ed them in '89 by doing so, and they've done it ever since. The only reason for the outrageous ticket prices this time is that MJ & Co. (and it is Mick, he still plays naive over what people have to pay to see them,) is the band have demanded an absolute of $XX millions for XX number of shows. They, not any promoter, have set the requirement for stepping on the stage. What DOES amaze me is that my beloved heroes knew what tickets would HAVE TO sell for to get this paycheck, and thought we could pay it! That said, I'm gonna be way up in section 216 here in LV on May 11, $250.00 +service charge and handling fees...

It's not a reach to envision the promoters offering the Stones the moon if they were confident they could still make a bundle. Which appears to be the case judging by the inflated ticket prices. It's hard for me to imagine the promoters putting that kind of pressure on themselves by offering the Stones so much that they would have to scramble to make a decent profit. Either they miscalculated or they (and the Stones) have something up their sleeves. For the Stones sake, I hope that turns out to be the case. The next 24 hours should be interesting.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 2, 2013 23:23

CBII
Hound Dog
My friend in Boston told me that this has been all over the radio stations that so many seats for the show there are not selling. Making the Stones look bad

Since I'm not privy to exactly who the promoters are, it's hard for me to see why the band would look bad. The Rolling Stones were retained by some entity to perform X number of concerts for Y amount. It's not up to the band to determine ticket prices in order to make the promoters a profit.

If they are self promoting (renting the venues, advertising etc) this run of shows then that's a different story.

Seriously?

It's a Rolling Stones show that's half sold out, not an AEG show.

"Look bad" and "lose money" are two duifferent things.

maybe it's AEG that's losing the money. It's the Stones that face the humiliation of banks of empty seats.

Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: May 2, 2013 23:39

JumpinJackOLantern
It's not a reach to envision the promoters offering the Stones the moon if they were confident they could still make a bundle. Which appears to be the case judging by the inflated ticket prices. It's hard for me to imagine the promoters putting that kind of pressure on themselves by offering the Stones so much that they would have to scramble to make a decent profit. Either they miscalculated or they (and the Stones) have something up their sleeves. For the Stones sake, I hope that turns out to be the case. The next 24 hours should be interesting.

The December shows sold out at an average price over $500, and brought in over 7.5 million per show in ticket sales (official Billboard boxscore figures). Promoters probably thought guaranteeing the Stones 4-5 million per show would give them an easy 2-3 million profit per show. They obviously misjudged the situation.

Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: May 2, 2013 23:54

LA, Fri 3 March- looks like only 1/3 of the sections are fully sold. Still can get good close floor seats, well at 650, The upper distant sections are priced at 450! Do not see anything less than that. This is on the AXS Staples regular site - easier to use that TM. Too many dates in the close locations, ie. LA, Anaheim, SFO San Jose, Oak.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: May 2, 2013 23:57

Saturday Mayweather will be fighting Guerrero, and only
days before the fight, it still plenty of seats left for the
first time.

Check it out :

I expect to see Guerrero to pressure Mayweather, by cutting the ring, making it smaller and to stay on top of him. It will be the champion’s counter-punching ablility and defensive skills that will be the key factor for Mayweather against Guerrero.

In regards to the ticket sales for the Mayweather-Guerrero fight, the MGM Grand Garden Area is still not sold out just four days before this big bout is the first time in Mayweather’s professional fight career that he did not sell out days before the match. I do anticipate a late sell out at the venue and high PPV ratings for this match-up, once all is said and done.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: May 2, 2013 23:59

Why would they announce all the additional shows if sales were so poor? I don't remember exactely when the first set of shows was announced and how promptly the other dates followed, but I suppose additional shows weren't announced until it was clear that the first date in a particular city was selling well. At least that would make the most sense.

Also how would anyone know how well the shows are truly selling? These are all conjectures based on very superficial information. I mean it's obvious that most of the upcoming shows are not instant sellouts by looking at the seating charts, but just because you can still get 4 or more seats side by side in many blocks doesn't tell you much about the precise number of unsold seats in a block.

In Germany the ticket seller allowed customers to zoom into the individual blocks and directly select the seats one wished to have. I still remember how the blocks on Stones tours would be sold by over 90%, but you could still get many seats side by side. Sometimes an entire row was still unsold, yet the block, as mentioned before, was almost completely sold out.

I wouldn't worry about half empty arenas at all. The ticket prices are unquestionably outrageous, but since this is presently still a mini tour with relatively few dates, I'm pretty confident most shows will be a sellout or come at least close.

Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:01

LA Fri, March 3, Only about 1/3 of the sections are fully sold. Still can get 600 floor near the front. What is crazy is the 250-450 price for upper rafters! Do not see those 85 ones here. Too many shows in similar locations, ie Anaheim, LA, SF, San Jose, and Oakland.

Posted by: MRJIMMMY ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:09

its a gamble , but i have scored great concert tickets the day of a show on ebay. people have tickets they need to get rid of and put them up on ebay with no reserve. but they have to be local or e-tickets.

Re: Why are people so happy that the most expensive tickets aren't selling well?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:10

uhbuhgullayew
The Stones made $85 tickets available. I bought some and so did many others on this board.

So why do people (including those that bought $85 tickets) mock them and delight in the fact that the expensive tickets are not selling?

Personally, I am very grateful that the $85 tickets were made available and very appreciative of several people on this board that helped so many people buy tickets for $85.

We're going to see The Stones! smiling smiley

I had a chance with one of the $85 tickets that someone on this board had, but had to pass.

For the total price I was expected to pay, the person with the ticket "rounded up to $100" because 1) the ticket agency's additional charges meant that tickets were actually $91.25, and 2) this ticket holder added on an extra $8.75 for himself because he said he spent several hours on the phone getting the tickets and also because he expected to be reimbursed for the interest on his credit card.

Even more amusing, he referred to the additional ticket agency fees as "the tickets with all the b*llsh*t charges"--yet his own charges were 30% higher than those charged by this major ticket agency and he "figured it was fair".

Not only are The Stones ripping off the fans, but fans are ripping off each other.

Being very put off by this, I quickly passed, as I don't think it's proper to be asked to help pay the credit card and phone bills of a stranger.

So, if I never get to see The Stones live, I'll still die happy. I've decided I just want no part of it. Treading past the bounds of good taste is something that can sully a good time. I'll just sit home and watch DVDs of tours long past....

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:11

MRJIMMMY
its a gamble , but i have scored great concert tickets the day of a show on ebay. people have tickets they need to get rid of and put them up on ebay with no reserve. but they have to be local or e-tickets.

I've heard too many stories about fake tickets

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:14

Of my many friends and family members here in the L.A. area who have regularly attended Stones shows the past 30 years, no one is going...despite FOUR shows coming up in L.A. and Anaheim.

After speaking to several of these folks, price is clearly a huge factor, coupled with the fact that they've seen the band multiple times over the years and feel there isn't necessarily anything new being offered this time around. Some would enjoy seeing Mick Taylor, but it doesn't seem to be a big selling point to them in lieu of the high prices. Overall, there's just not a lot of buzz, but perhaps it could have been different with more affordable tickets from day one.

Just anecdotal stuff on my part, but it may provide some insight into how a lot of Stones fans are feeling right about now.

Date: May 3, 2013 00:16

Exactly. Too many shows too close together both miles and date. And there was not enough time allowed for tickets to sale.

And they really should have seen how the 1st show in a city would sell before announcing the 2nd show.

Seems like in the past I would by tickets three or four months before the actual concert.

I'd say tomorrows show has sold a little more than 1/2 at best.

Like someone posted earlier. You will not see the Stones at their best in a 1/2 full arena.

The band feeds of the crowd and thats a fact.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:17

tnhybrid

MOO.

???

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:19

The May 3 show is a bit weird. I was going on the second but will be out of town for the the 3rd so switched my tickets to the 15th at Anaheim. Just another anecdotal story to add to the mix.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:20

jumpontopofmebaby
Exactly. Too many shows too close together both miles and date. And there was not enough time allowed for tickets to sale.

And they really should have seen how the 1st show in a city would sell before announcing the 2nd show.

Seems like in the past I would by tickets three or four months before the actual concert.

I'd say tomorrows show has sold a little more than 1/2 at best.

Like someone posted earlier. You will not see the Stones at their best in a 1/2 full arena.

The band feeds of the crowd and thats a fact.

3 shows in Chicago. confused smiley

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:22

The Stones were well aware that the more money they were guaranteed the higher the ticket prices would be! Jagger is no dummy! They are to blame!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:30

You know this Japanese saying : "Success has a thousand fathers while failure has none"?

I wonder who'll take the blame if the tour flops? "Nobody" sounds like a good answer...

Date: May 3, 2013 00:35

I did not get the 3 dates in Chicago either. But the 2nd one is almost sold out. No clue about the 1st one, but pleanty of seats for the 3rd one still left.

However it is still several weeks away so time for tickets to be sold.

And I would imagine buy the time the Chicago shows come they will have found ways to get rid of tickets and fill the arena.

At least I hope so. Because I am going to the 3rd Chicago show.

And I want if full.

FULL OF STONES FANS!

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:45

The best way for the stones to sell tickets is to play their hearts out. Everyone will tell friends how great it was so others want to go.

I know tha† will not sell all of the tickets, but it will help. The plus to it all- the shows will be more intimate.

When I was at the Thanksgiving show in Denver in 2005, they had people offering to 'upgrade' people in better seats. My $400 was towards the back of the floor and I ended up about 9 rows away. I hope they do that with their good seats left. A win win for the fans who did buy seats; and for the $85 seats- the people who really knew how to buy them.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:53

Thanks for your pertinent posts CBII.

I was born and raised in LA...have never known it to be SO difficult for people living here...huge increase in population...200,000 plus living in makeshift way particularly in downtown area...homeless, disabled, some mentally ill, drug-trafficking etc.

Most relevant re the Staples gigs, their honchos seem to be unaware that the middle class is not what it was five years ago, including numerous young college students and graduates who can't find a job. Rents are higher, gas is more expensive, etc. etc.

I don't blame the Stones. AEG simply is not in touch with the music audience here the way they should be. They set unrealistic ticket prices and instead of holding the gig in Staples Center, which they own, it would have been far easier to sell 3 nights at the 18,000 seat Hollywood Bowl. MANY people do not want to go downtown with its new "big business" skyscrapers in a place which started out as a "pueblo." No matter how many new hotels, restaurants, etc. downtown LA is relatively charmless.

Hollywood Bowl is a place music lovers look forward to going to for ambiance and great concerts

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 02:17 by stonesrule.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:05

Well, they just released some more $85 tix for tomorrow night. Good luck to anyone trying for them!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:08

Jah Paul
Of my many friends and family members here in the L.A. area who have regularly attended Stones shows the past 30 years, no one is going...despite FOUR shows coming up in L.A. and Anaheim.

After speaking to several of these folks, price is clearly a huge factor, coupled with the fact that they've seen the band multiple times over the years and feel there isn't necessarily anything new being offered this time around. Some would enjoy seeing Mick Taylor, but it doesn't seem to be a big selling point to them in lieu of the high prices. Overall, there's just not a lot of buzz, but perhaps it could have been different with more affordable tickets from day one.

Just anecdotal stuff on my part, but it may provide some insight into how a lot of Stones fans are feeling right about now.

You can count me in on this part (although I will be attending several shows):

"price is clearly a huge factor, coupled with the fact that they've seen the band multiple times over the years and feel there isn't necessarily anything new being offered this time around. Some would enjoy seeing Mick Taylor, but it doesn't seem to be a big selling point to them in lieu of the high prices".

If it wasn't for the release of $85 tickets, I probably would have only gone to one show and that would have been at the $150 level.
For all the reasons mentioned above (in bold), it seemed the thrill was gone...for the most part anyways.
As it stands, I'm now attending four shows at the $85 level, but am somewhat disillusioned by the overall greediness of the Stones (and AEG),
the unrealistic expectations they have of the ticket buying public, and the lack of enthusiasm and special vibes that previous tours have generated.

The Echoplex show (which I didn't attend) was an exciting and promising beginning, but it seems it's going to be all downhill from there.
Kind of sad really....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 01:18 by Hairball.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:14

stonesrule
Thanks for your pertinent posts CBII.

I was born and raised in LA...have never known it to be SO difficult for people living here...huge increase in population...200,000 plus living in makeshift way particularly in downtown area...homeless, disabled, some mentally ill, drug-trafficking etc.

Most relevant re the Staples gigs, their honchos seem to be unaware that the middle class is not what it was five years ago, including numerous young college students and graduates who can't find a job. Rents are higher, gas is more expensive, etc. etc.

I don't blame the Stones. AEG simply is not in touch with the music audience here the way they should be. They set unrealistic ticket prices and instead of holding the gig in Staples Center, which they own, it would have been far easier to sell 3 nights at the 18,000 seat Hollywood Bowl. MANY people do not want to go downtown with its new "big business" skyscrapers in a place which started out as a "pueblo." No matter how many new hotels, restaurants, etc. downtown LA is relatively charmless.

Hollywood Bowl is a place music lovers look forward to going.

I think this is true. Staples is not a good venue. The sound is poor and the pitch is too drastic. That might be helpful for basketball but it's weird for a concert. The downtown area is indeed too corporate and a drag. The shows at the Bowl were the best LA area shows of the era other than the Wiltern. In fact, since I can't go to the opening schedule-wise, we are choosing to go to Anaheim because the sound is better, and that place is no thrill.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:15

They did indeed and they have not sold out yet, at least that was the case a few minutes ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 01:16 by ChrisM.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:24

The prices are,indeed,ludicrous. But the real problem is that most Rolling Stones fans are so @#$%& old they just don't give a shit about going to see them any more, or any other act for that matter. Plus they just don't have the energy it takes to go through all the bullshit. AND if they've already seen them several times you can multiply that factor by about a hundred.

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:36

And it IS bullshit. $15 beers, $14 popcorn, drunks yelling through the whole show... if I weren't a hardcore music fiend I'd quit myself (and I already have quit, pretty much, going to general-admission shows - I'm short and some big drunk aggro guy nearly always shoves in front of me right as the band goes on stage, no matter how early I get there to get a spot....)

Date: May 3, 2013 01:42

You eat popcorn at the concert!!! Shadooooobbiieeee

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:52

I am still hoping that the Rolling Stones will play some dates in the Southeast this year. Do I want to pay the high ticket prices, of course not. I don't however, feel the need to complain about it over and over as some do. I do have a choice whether or not to buy the ticket, and regardless of the show being sold out or not, if I'm able to go, I have no doubt that I will enjoy it. I apologize for not jumping on the complaining bandwagon and all the blah, blah, blah that follows.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 30

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2117
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home