Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Who actually listens to the Stones anymore?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:00

duke richardson
T&A
lucilejagger
Who actually listens to the Stones anymore ?
Well, all of us, don't we ? That's a quite simple answer to a quite stupid question.

i don't listen to them. and the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

could you kindly justify your reasons for not only not listening to them but refusing to believe that anyone else does.

because if they're not good enough for me, they're not good enough for any of us.

i hope that was kind enough for you....

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:03

I haven't listened to The Stones in a few months and I still feel great.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:10

T&A
duke richardson
T&A
lucilejagger
Well, all of us, don't we ? That's a quite simple answer to a quite stupid question.

i don't listen to them. and the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

could you kindly justify your reasons for not only not listening to them but refusing to believe that anyone else does.

because if they're not good enough for me, they're not good enough for any of us.

thats a mighty heavy hand you bat with..

and yes that was kind of kind..

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:28

I hardly ever listen to the stones. I do enjoy listening to the covers by other artists, even amatures and the rare tracks like "reelin and rockin" that I found thru this message board.

But truth be told, 9 times out of 10 switch the radio station when the stones come on. Just too much of an overload of information. Way to much small details,. the Prince Rupert book comes to mind.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:31

But truth be told, 9 times out of 10 switch the radio station when the stones come on. Just too much of an overload of information. Way to much small details

....WHoooo what'ya do when a Garry Glitter tune spills from
the speaker .. Thou his production of Thane Russal's Security is cool

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lucilejagger ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:38

T&A
duke richardson
T&A
lucilejagger

Well sorry then, but they seem to be good enough for me... I listen to the Rolling Stones and I enjoy it, that's precisely why I'm here. And that's precisely WHY I wonder what you're doing there if you don't listen to the Rolling Stones...

Posted by: McQwerty ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:42

I do, every single day!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 12, 2013 23:04

I've heard them all so why listen to them a for second time............................ grinning smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 12, 2013 23:12

rob51
I mean heh? Is there actually still a large magority of people that still listens to this band regularly? You have to admit their haydays are long over and they haven't really put out anything for years thats worth listening to. Do you still play your old Stones stuff all the time or are you just more in love with what they used to be and what they used to mean to you? Not trying to be an @#$%& here but come on lets be honest. Being a huge Stones fan doesnt make a whole lot of sense in this day and age. What else have we got though, Justin Beiber?

Talk for yourself please. I am fine. My grandchildren might listen to already forgotten about Beaber but the Stones will be here long after we are all gone.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: February 12, 2013 23:17

I cannot recall a day in which I didn't listen to at least one Rolling Stones song. And it would have been a memorable sad day, too.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 12, 2013 23:18

GumbootCloggeroo
I haven't listened to The Stones in a few months and I still feel great.

A few months? Looks like you missed out on their 2012 shows. Pity.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 12, 2013 23:54

rob51
I mean heh? Is there actually still a large magority of people that still listens to this band regularly? You have to admit their haydays are long over and they haven't really put out anything for years thats worth listening to. Do you still play your old Stones stuff all the time or are you just more in love with what they used to be and what they used to mean to you? Not trying to be an @#$%& here but come on lets be honest. Being a huge Stones fan doesnt make a whole lot of sense in this day and age. What else have we got though, Justin Beiber?

So you let the times dictate who you listen to? What sense does that make? Of course today's music stars are bigger than The Stones as far as selling records but are they bigger than The Stones were in their heyday? Do you think the music stars of today will have a number one studio album and a record breaking tour 43 years after they begin like The Stones did?

Comparing The Stones with a modern musician is as silly as having a football throwing contest between Joe Montana and Tom Brady. It's not a level playing field.

Posted by: HearTheWindHowl ()
Date: February 13, 2013 00:07

I still listen to THE STONES, not every day, but time and again! I may not always listen to their regular albums but to special collections of tracks that I compiled in my iTunes. Although, I'm a big fan of their rockers, I also like their delicate side very much. One of these collections I called "Ballads & Slow Songs". Here's the running order:
01) I Am Waiting
02) Back Street Girl
03) Wild Horses
04) Moonlight Mile
05) Let It Loose
06) Shine A Light
07) Can You Hear The Music
08) Time Waits For No One
09) If You Really Want To Be My Friend
I love this collection very much. It also reminds me of how much beauty and detail one can find in Stones songs. I don't know what people will say in 50 or more years from now. But, there's one thing I know for sure. This band has an incredible body of work. Many of their songs are gems and truely wonderful. As Robert Johnson or Chuck Berry songs have inspired many musicians (including the Stones), I'm sure that Stones songs will inspire future listeners to the same extent. This music is just too good! These songs "won't go away"!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 13, 2013 00:45

Seriously!?? You ask die-hard Stones fans IF they still listen to their music? I have GRRRR in my car and play it all thetime, especially disc 3 with the new tracks. I also love to pick an old CD and take it in my car and listen....revisit the music and see if I see different things in it...like Steel Wheels....love Continental Drift...and Beggars Banquet, the original Stray Cat Blues! What's not to love!?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 13, 2013 00:52

You're right of course. Actually listening to the band is a bit overrated. There are so many other aspects about the band to dwell in. Posting on this forum for example...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 13, 2013 00:55

mickschix
Seriously!?? You ask die-hard Stones fans IF they still listen to their music? ...

I consider myself a die-hard fan and I don't listen to them that often ... maybe every couple months or so I'll put them in the rotation. However a big reason for that is I went about 10 years straight where all i played was the Stones (or their solo albums) so I kind of burnt myself out on them. Now I like to listen to newer bands (I'm obsessed w/ a band called The Blakes), or even older bands that I never appreciated back then, I've been currently re-listening to all the Pearl Jam albums.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:01

Aside from a couple songs randomly turning up on my iPod shuffle in the car---I don't really put them on purposely everyday. But after a few weeks/months of no Stones, I'll put them on to cleanse the palate...like a system reboot. It always works.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:04

.....If ya wanna pull out of a nose dive ... It's gotta be the Stones ...
........... The rest'll just take ya deeper

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:08

I have been getting into live licks disk 2 on my ipod,I create my own stones playlists.I listen to the stones everyday.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:15

T&A
Rollin' Stoner
T&A
Rollin' Stoner
who actually listens to Beethoven anymore?

who doesn't? just because he was deaf is no reason not to listen to him. rock on, ludwig!
Haydn rocks too

classical music rocks more than classic rock music does. i know this is confusing to some out there....

Not to me....

Actually I think most of us have been answering the wrong question. Of course we here still listen to the Stones (apart from T&A, but then T&A would have to be different....) But who else listens to the Stones these days?

Well, film and TV soundtrack compilers obviously do it, judging by the number of times Stones tracks get used (and some of them are fairly obscure, too). It pleases me that Stones music is usually used on its own merits and not just as generic "oldies" soundtrack. Every artist that covers them does it, and there are a lot of those. Judging by the volume of YouTube hits, an awful lot of Internet users do it. Somebody bought all those copies of Grrrr and the Exile reissue...

The sad thing is that because of the band's marketing strategy, it's getting more and more difficult for anyone but the very rich or the very dedicated to have the experience of listening to them live while that is still possible - and that is a pity.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:32

Hey, if they're good enough for Justin Timberlake, they're good enough for me!

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:35

I still listen.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:37

Green Lady
T&A
Rollin' Stoner
T&A
Rollin' Stoner
who actually listens to Beethoven anymore?

who doesn't? just because he was deaf is no reason not to listen to him. rock on, ludwig!
Haydn rocks too

classical music rocks more than classic rock music does. i know this is confusing to some out there....

Not to me....

Actually I think most of us have been answering the wrong question. Of course we here still listen to the Stones (apart from T&A, but then T&A would have to be different....) But who else listens to the Stones these days?

Well, film and TV soundtrack compilers obviously do it, judging by the number of times Stones tracks get used (and some of them are fairly obscure, too). It pleases me that Stones music is usually used on its own merits and not just as generic "oldies" soundtrack. Every artist that covers them does it, and there are a lot of those. Judging by the volume of YouTube hits, an awful lot of Internet users do it. Somebody bought all those copies of Grrrr and the Exile reissue...

The sad thing is that because of the band's marketing strategy, it's getting more and more difficult for anyone but the very rich or the very dedicated to have the experience of listening to them live while that is still possible - and that is a pity.

I love the perfume ad....what is it, Chanel Bleu, is that right?

Great use of Stones music

Posted by: Nats ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:38

rob51

If I would live by your logic I wouldn't be listening to any music at all.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: February 13, 2013 06:05

i definitely do, but it's dependent on my mood and what i'm feeling. i mean, i have the new Muse album but I don't care to hear it every day, maybe once in a while like anything else. the stones are older, but the ripple they created in their music is felt for quite some time and they've left a great body of work and i hope to hear more soon with any luck!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 13, 2013 06:55

It has to be said that when it comes to drinking music, nothing goes down better with a few rounds of beer than a pile of favorite Stones albums. Perhaps the OP has gone on the wagon of late? That last-ever beer must have been so sad....

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 13, 2013 07:41

rob51

The mainstream demographic for buying and listening to music may not care much about the Stones or many other artists their age. That's how it goes. If Justin Bieber and Lady Ga Ga are still making music decades from now, the younger people at that time won't be excited but their own fanbase will like them. I was blown away by the Stones at age 4, and for a time they were the right age to excite the demographic that drives record sales, etc. Now they've moved beyond that age but they obviously still have a huge loyal following. How else could their gigs sell out so fast at high prices. Now I'm 53 and yes - I still listen to the Stones nearly every day. Their music is like a drug. I need a regular fix to feel "Happy." And who cares if being a fan "makes sense?" I like it. I enjoy listening to it. Good music is still good no matter if the "popular with the mainstream" tag applies or not.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: February 13, 2013 10:24

A long time ago I used to listen to the Rolling Stones every day. Nowadays I listen to some other bands also. :-)

Since I was a little boy I play the drums.
Last year I started to take piano-lessons... and now I listen to the Stones'songs a bit different and the songs sound almost like new to me.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:27

mesmiling smiley))

right now first of all i listen to the 2 new tracks of GRRR and to the songs of the bonus disc of SG. but also to "out of our heads"....i would say, foremost i listen to the stones, but of course i listen also to other bands.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:36

I listen to the Stones always when I see them live in a concert. This is my happy hours of music.
Otherwise you find me on the skiruns around the world....smiling bouncing smiley or working for both

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home