Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Who actually listens to the Stones anymore?
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 10, 2013 23:35

I refuse to listen to the stones; seems like everyone here does it and that's just so boring.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 11, 2013 00:32

owlbynite
Stoneage
if you turn on a major commercial radio station here in Sweden you will be served the latest computerized R&B- or boybandshits. For hours and with no real instruments or voices involved. If you turn on a Public Service station you will be served political correct indie-pop or hip-hop (strangely enough hip-hop and rap are considered political correct although the lyrics are certainly not. It has to do with race) music. For hours and hours. Funnily enough, the only time you can hear the Stones, Beatles or 60/70/80s music is on the sports radio.

It's quite different over here. Sports stations, eh? What's the connection?

I think it has to do with demographics. Most of the radio sports journalists are men around 50 and so are many of the listeners. After all, sports radio is somewhat of an aged thing - the oppurtunites to watch matches or events on TV or on the net are so much wider nowadays.

Of course there are specialized rock stations; but even they don't play that much Stones. And they tend to be boring with too little variation.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 11, 2013 00:43

They still get TONS of radio air play on just about any rock station and not just the Classic rock stations. In fact, my wife made a comment the other day... she said, "it seems every time I'm in the car, I hear the Stones on the radio". So I started to pay attention, and she's right. If you listen to the radio for a half an hour, chances are pretty good, you'll hear a Stones tune. Obviously this depends on what genre you have on, but for general rock, the odds are in your favor.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 11, 2013 00:55

jazzbass
If you listen to the radio for a half an hour, chances are pretty good, you'll hear a Stones tune. Obviously this depends on what genre you have on, but for general rock, the odds are in your favor.

Ahhh...that's IT! I only listen to the local classical music station and I was starting to get a little peeved....

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 11, 2013 08:10

Stoneage
owlbynite
Stoneage
if you turn on a major commercial radio station here in Sweden you will be served the latest computerized R&B- or boybandshits. For hours and with no real instruments or voices involved. If you turn on a Public Service station you will be served political correct indie-pop or hip-hop (strangely enough hip-hop and rap are considered political correct although the lyrics are certainly not. It has to do with race) music. For hours and hours. Funnily enough, the only time you can hear the Stones, Beatles or 60/70/80s music is on the sports radio.

It's quite different over here. Sports stations, eh? What's the connection?

I think it has to do with demographics. Most of the radio sports journalists are men around 50 and so are many of the listeners. After all, sports radio is somewhat of an aged thing - the oppurtunites to watch matches or events on TV or on the net are so much wider nowadays.

Of course there are specialized rock stations; but even they don't play that much Stones. And they tend to be boring with too little variation.

Remember the crazy baseball star Jimmy Piersall? When he stopped playing he got a talk show on radio. Will never forget the nite we had him do his show live at a track I worked at. Was responsible for his care & feeding. He's every bit the lunatic he was portrayed to be in a TV movie anout him. Can't picture him or his station playing the Stones, tho....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 11, 2013 09:16

I don't know. I listened to 3 Beatles-albums in a row yesterday....and then Dylans Blonde on blonde....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: March 11, 2013 10:33

"I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield..."

Now I remember... about 15 years ago I was on a roadtrip in the USA. Somehow I just had to drive 2 hours extra just to drive through Bakersfield (on a sundayafternoon)... Don't remember exactly what was on the radio.

I still love their music, but I'm not that freaky anymore :-)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 11, 2013 21:29

ErwinH
"I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield..."

Now I remember... about 15 years ago I was on a roadtrip in the USA. Somehow I just had to drive 2 hours extra just to drive through Bakersfield (on a sundayafternoon)... Don't remember exactly what was on the radio.

I still love their music, but I'm not that freaky anymore :-)

Sorry to hear that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-11 21:29 by ryanpow.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 11, 2013 21:44

jazzbass
They still get TONS of radio air play on just about any rock station and not just the Classic rock stations. In fact, my wife made a comment the other day... she said, "it seems every time I'm in the car, I hear the Stones on the radio". So I started to pay attention, and she's right. If you listen to the radio for a half an hour, chances are pretty good, you'll hear a Stones tune. Obviously this depends on what genre you have on, but for general rock, the odds are in your favor.

Yeppers. They still get significant airplay on any station in my area that plays classic rock or a mix of old and new rock. It's just their newer stuff that doesn't get much airplay.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 11, 2013 21:47

Come On
I don't know. I listened to 3 Beatles-albums in a row yesterday....and then Dylans Blonde on blonde....

Sounds like a boring listening session. Should have spruced it up with a little Exile and Sticky smiling smiley.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home