Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314
Current Page: 14 of 14
Re: Track Talk: Moonlight Mile
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 12, 2013 14:04

I wonder if Mick really regrets his cheapness in not giving MT any songwriting credits. He drove him away by doing this i believe.
Its a bit like a man having an affair with a beautiful young woman(Taylor), being inspired by her, wanting to be with her, but in the end opting to stay with his wife (Richards) despite the fact that the relationship is dead, he sure doesn't love her anymore but he's scared of losing the big house and social standing they have together.
But i guess thats Mick for you. Cash is King.

Date: December 12, 2013 14:09

<not giving MT any songwriting credits>

Did he take the VB-credits back? winking smiley

Date: December 12, 2013 14:13

Alright Jeezus one measly credit i apologise..

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 12, 2013 14:48

vertigojoe
I wonder if Mick really regrets his cheapness in not giving MT any songwriting credits. He drove him away by doing this i believe.
Its a bit like a man having an affair with a beautiful young woman(Taylor), being inspired by her, wanting to be with her, but in the end opting to stay with his wife (Richards) despite the fact that the relationship is dead, he sure doesn't love her anymore but he's scared of losing the big house and social standing they have together.

No, Career is King.

That money income has become dominant sucess criterium for career, instead of only one of more criteria, is a blame that can be attributed to their audiences at large and to some extent to their record buyers that have shown comparatively little interest in the issues from the latter part of their existence as band. Because that fact has contributed to taking away much of their incentives to be creative and consider other aspects than money income.

The comparison Taylor - Richards is then what and whom Mick Jagger could trust in a long time career perspective?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-12 14:50 by Witness.

Date: December 12, 2013 14:53

Taylor didn't starv. I'm pretty sure money wasn't in issue at all, when he quit the band.

Musical development, however, I presume was more important for him.

Date: December 12, 2013 16:09

DandelionPowderman
Taylor didn't starv. I'm pretty sure money wasn't in issue at all, when he quit the band.

I reckon he had tough times which wouldn't have been so bad had he not been royally shafted by the Glimmers..

Date: December 12, 2013 16:14

vertigojoe
DandelionPowderman

I reckon he had tough times which wouldn't have been so bad had he not been royally shafted by the Glimmers..

That's your guess, though, as Taylor never has stated this.

Date: December 12, 2013 16:16

DandelionPowderman
vertigojoe
DandelionPowderman

That's your guess, though, as Taylor never has stated this.

Yes pure speculation i'll admit.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 12, 2013 16:20

It's not about starving, it's about making it into the inner circle of the Glimmer CEOs. The real CEO if of course Mick. Brian tried but that was way too early and he was too "real" with his faults, his wins and loses and everything that went around him. He had no chance, despite actually forming the band and their image, making the deals, creating the rep. He sold it in. But wouldnt have made a good CEO.

Mick is CEO. Keith isnt anywhere near and never was, but he's a neccesary part of the company brand, their legacy, the product of course, image (not the least) and cred. Taylor isnt. Musically he is of course and he really became (sometimes the most) important ingredient in the product, but never image wise. Brian was musically and image wise and an integral part of the very body of the band, the most imporatant really.

Taylor was one of the gifted sparkling people the CEO surrounds himself with. That was Taylors role. That's why Mick had to let him go once he left. I dont think for a moment Jagger wanted Taylor to leave - no way. Jagger just had to adjust to the situation and change the image (Ronnie) and the backingtrack sound (Ollie Brown) and image/performance/vocals (Billy Preston).

Mick has had many gifted persons around and Keith has used some of them too (Ry Cooder being the real goldmine). Theyve all been sucked dry and fans tend to buy the company's press releases uncritically: Brian was a cry baby and it wasnt a bad thing he died, Taylor was shy and played too many notes and left and never did anything good after that - proof of him being useless, Cooder was a cry baby, Preston had an ego, Wyman played Satisfaction backwards and slept with little girls. (dont report this, I'm being sarcastic).

Ian Stewart was a good decent down to earth real man, the real backbone. Honest Stew who never said a bad word about anyone execpt Brian the evil one.

Date: December 12, 2013 16:21

Doxa
His Majesty
Ruby Tuesday was part of a double A side really. A strong single release after the mixed reception to Have You Seen Your Mother/Who's Driving Your Plane?

Witness

That "Winter instead preferably should be left unreleased, makes me want to remind you of the question you spring over: Do you prefer "Hot Stuff" to "Winter as single material?

Hot Stuff is awful, I wish I could banish it from the world of music.

Neither song is good single material.

"Hot Stuff" was a number ONE hit in France back in 1976...

- Doxa

And well deserved if you ask me. cool smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 12, 2013 16:22

Witness
vertigojoe

No, Career is King.

That money income has become dominant sucess criterium for career, instead of only one of more criteria, is a blame that can be attributed to their audiences at large and to some extent to their record buyers that have shown comparatively little interest in the issues from the latter part of their existence as band. Because that fact has contributed to taking away much of their incentives to be creative and consider other aspects than money income.

The comparison Taylor - Richards is then what and whom Mick Jagger could trust in a long time career perspective?

That last post of mine was aimed at the greed motive that so often and habitually is surmised as only motive for Jagger and Richards, and especially the former.

It is not to be taken that I do not deplore their seemingly scarce propensity to give away some parts of songwriting credits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-12 16:23 by Witness.

Date: December 12, 2013 16:25

No one wanted Taylor to leave, as they all have stated many times.

The rest of your post aren't facts, but you guessing and speculating.

It doesn't mean it isn't entertaining thumbs up

Date: December 14, 2013 23:44

Great track, great musicians, beautiful lyrics. thumbs up

When the wind blows and the rain feels cold
With a head full of snow
With a head full of snow
In the window there's a face you know
Don't the nights pass slow
Don't the nights pass slow

The sound of strangers sending nothing to my mind
Just another mad mad day on the road
I am just living to be lying by your side
But Im just about a moonlight mile on down the road

Made a rag pile of my shiny clothes
Gonna warm my bones
Gonna warm my bones
I got silence on my radio
Let the air waves flow
Let the air waves flow

Oh Im sleeping under strange strange skies
Just another mad mad day on the road
My dreams is fading down the railway line
Im just about a moonlight mile down the road

Im hiding sister and Im dreaming
Im riding down your moonlight mile
Im hiding baby and Im dreaming
Im riding down your moonlight mile
Im riding down you moonlight mile

Let it go now, come on up babe
Yeah, let it go now
Yeah, flow now baby
Yeah move on now yeah

Yeah, Im coming home
Cause, Im just about a moonlight mile on down the road
Down the road, down the road

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 15, 2013 02:41

Masterpiece. One of the greatest songs ever.

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: December 15, 2013 02:56

Moonlight Mile - one of the greatest Stonestracks ever.

redhotcarpet, that last post of yours is a bit over the top.

Date: December 15, 2013 09:13

Redhotcarpet
Doxa
His Majesty
Ruby Tuesday was part of a double A side really. A strong single release after the mixed reception to Have You Seen Your Mother/Who's Driving Your Plane?

Witness

That "Winter instead preferably should be left unreleased, makes me want to remind you of the question you spring over: Do you prefer "Hot Stuff" to "Winter as single material?

- Doxa

+1

Date: December 15, 2013 10:13

FortuneTeller800

They always are, ignore mine and read the others. grinning smiley

Date: December 15, 2013 10:13

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
Doxa
His Majesty

Witness

- Doxa

+1

Yes! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-15 10:14 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: December 15, 2013 10:18

About the lyrics:
It's about Mick being wired up on coke after a show on the road, trying to go to bed and needing some depressant and/or a woman (maybe even Marianne). Or?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-15 10:19 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 15, 2013 13:33

Winter & Moonlight Mile are two different songs. It is incredible how they cross paths in mind.

I have to admit the Stones are the greatest. I'm gambling that they will come back for a second U.S. tour leg. I need to see them again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-15 13:35 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: December 15, 2013 17:31

Redhotcarpet
FortuneTeller800

They always are, ignore mine and read the others. grinning smiley

haha...thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 17, 2013 00:58

It took me some evenings to find the right images/video and one evening to to compile............ enjoy..............."Japanese Thing"

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 17, 2013 01:48

Nice work! cool smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 29, 2024 03:40

There's a new show, just release on Netflix: 3 Body Problem. Episode 2 features a clip of Moonlight Mile!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 29, 2024 08:43

Wow! I read a couple of pages this old thread, and what can I say... This is one helluva track talk indeed!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 30, 2024 14:06

LeonidP
There's a new show, just release on Netflix: 3 Body Problem. Episode 2 features a clip of Moonlight Mile!

Yeah I watched it a few days ago...awesome. I think a couple of episodes later they played Karma Police. A not bad little science fiction series.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2024 14:28

Check out the story of Lin Qi who originally purchased
the rights of 3 Body Problem and Xu Yao who poisoned him .... Strange stuff

ROCKMAN

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 1, 2024 17:38

vertigojoe

He didn't necessarily have to break with Keith, only to give Taylor the credits he deserved. Also, Keith might have been a junkie by that time, he was just as much responsible for not giving Taylor credits.
The only problem is: where does the jam or the contribution start and the songwriting begin? Did Wyman deserve credits for the JJF riff? Did Brian Jones deserve credit for the sitar in Paint It Black?
I guess with the Stones, if the original idea came from either Jagger or Richards, then it was a Richards/Jagger composition, never mind if the rest contributed in a large way to the final song.
The Beatles more or less operated in the same way.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 1, 2024 19:48

matxil
vertigojoe

He didn't necessarily have to break with Keith, only to give Taylor the credits he deserved. Also, Keith might have been a junkie by that time, he was just as much responsible for not giving Taylor credits.
The only problem is: where does the jam or the contribution start and the songwriting begin? Did Wyman deserve credits for the JJF riff? Did Brian Jones deserve credit for the sitar in Paint It Black?
I guess with the Stones, if the original idea came from either Jagger or Richards, then it was a Richards/Jagger composition, never mind if the rest contributed in a large way to the final song.
The Beatles more or less operated in the same way.
In those days they didn’t have anywhere near the money they have today, maybe that was a factor in giving writer credit.Recently they gave Taylor writer credit for Criss Cross and Andrew Watt for the 3songs on Hackney Diamonds

Date: April 2, 2024 00:27

I put my hat off for Jagger's singing and acoustic guitar on MM.
For years I always thought is was Keith or Taylor.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314
Current Page: 14 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1287
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home