Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 20
Re: OT: Bowie's back!
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 2, 2013 02:39

That review is way over the top, almost as over the top as RS's review of "Goddess in the Doorway" that got 5 stars if memory serves! Besides Heathen and Reality are not underrated at all! On the other hand I don't think I ever want to listen to Earthling again, or to that stuff he did with Reeves Gabriel, Time Machine was it, can't even be bothered to look it up ;-)

RollingFreak
Also, I'm pretty upset at what Visconti cited as "rocking". The songs are upbeat, and in terms of Where Are We Now they are rocking, but I feel like he definitely chose his words carefully there. When I think rocking Bowie, I think Cracked Actor or Rebel Rebel. This stuff is weird and upbeat, but not what I would consider "rocking." Just my opinion, and I'm not mad at Tony, but that definitely is something that got my hopes up and sort of annoyed me at first listen.

And what about the two "Stonesy" tracks that Earl Slick mentioned in an interview, I'd be hard pressed to say which ones they are!

Gave it another listen with headphones, I can't over that weird mixing and placement of Bowie's voice in the stereo image...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 2, 2013 05:32

gotdablouse
That review is way over the top, almost as over the top as RS's review of "Goddess in the Doorway" that got 5 stars if memory serves! Besides Heathen and Reality are not underrated at all! On the other hand I don't think I ever want to listen to Earthling again, or to that stuff he did with Reeves Gabriel, Time Machine was it, can't even be bothered to look it up ;-)

RollingFreak
Also, I'm pretty upset at what Visconti cited as "rocking". The songs are upbeat, and in terms of Where Are We Now they are rocking, but I feel like he definitely chose his words carefully there. When I think rocking Bowie, I think Cracked Actor or Rebel Rebel. This stuff is weird and upbeat, but not what I would consider "rocking." Just my opinion, and I'm not mad at Tony, but that definitely is something that got my hopes up and sort of annoyed me at first listen.

And what about the two "Stonesy" tracks that Earl Slick mentioned in an interview, I'd be hard pressed to say which ones they are!

Gave it another listen with headphones, I can't over that weird mixing and placement of Bowie's voice in the stereo image...

Maybe it's better to wait for CD or high quality download.

So far the only song I was able to listen in "CD quality" (thanks to Qobuz) is The Stars (Are Out Tonight).
While it sounds very promising for the rest of the album I found the sound a bit confusing and lacking of clarity with every little details brought upfront.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: March 2, 2013 11:28

I'm sad.....after the hype in january about what extraordinary we will get, I'm dissapointed. There is hardly any songwriting and again and "old" star ist trying to cover himself and recycle the past. Its a good album though but by far not as good as the media talks about.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: March 2, 2013 12:14

TotalBB
For those of you that don't have/want iTunes: video: [youtu.be]
Been taken down before I got to it but thanks for posting. I won't install itunes, I find it so intrusive, so I am settled to waiting until it's released. That's fine. I read an interestring artcle last night about how everything is pre-view, pre-sale, pre-release these days and how it would be good to learn patience again so that thought will keep me going.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: March 2, 2013 12:16

gotdablouse

RollingFreak

I've never been able to hear the KR influence on his playing that Earl says is so obvious either. Don't get me wrong, love his style, just don't hear the KR connection.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 3, 2013 00:08

Played Scary Monsters tonight.

What a great album.

Fripping brilliant.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 3, 2013 00:08

Braincapers
Anyone got the dualdisc Reality? I've ordered it because it wasn't much dearer then the standard version.

I'm playing the surround sound version at the moment. Got up loneliest guy.

Sound quality is excellent but that doesn't count for much if you don't like the music - fortunately so far so good.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 3, 2013 00:28

Braincapers
Braincapers
Anyone got the dualdisc Reality? I've ordered it because it wasn't much dearer then the standard version.

I'm playing the surround sound version at the moment. Got up loneliest guy.

Sound quality is excellent but that doesn't count for much if you don't like the music - fortunately so far so good.

She'll drive the big car is wonderful. Woman whose live is all too much thinking of crashing the car in the river with child on board.

Dark and brilliant.

Bring me the head of the disco king.

I read in The Times today someone said Bowie is music's Picasso.

Yep.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 3, 2013 09:16

Just watched "Cat People" again, Bowie's music sure works well there.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: March 3, 2013 09:39

I listened to the new album all night, at least 5 times in a row.
It was worth waiting 10 years.
Fantastic !!!
thumbs up

Posted by: HerMajestyBrenda ()
Date: March 3, 2013 09:46

Good rehash of late 70's Bowie. Still better than any Stones record in the last 30 years, obviously.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 3, 2013 10:05

Yeah great album. And lives up the hype. Listened to it several times, let it sit with me for a bit, then again. Very much like Heathen it is a dense listen, and takes a while for it to seep into the bones. And when it does it hits you how great it is. Lots of different styles and ideas on the album. Bowie's on top, and it is amazing it has been ten years since he last released something. He seamlessly takes the reins of his art and rides it hard.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: March 3, 2013 12:40

HerMajestyBrenda
Good rehash of late 70's Bowie. Still better than any Stones record in the last 30 years, obviously.[/quot

Bullshit!!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 3, 2013 17:35

Gave it the ol' spinaroo last night. Seems like a solid outing. Kinda reminds me of David Bowie in a way....

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: March 3, 2013 23:03

so the spinaroo was a solid outing?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 3, 2013 23:31

mgguy
so the spinaroo was a solid outing?

the ol' one was. mhm.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 4, 2013 05:59

Anyplace, anytime I will see this performed live! It's been a LONG, LONG slog of a wait but it has happened, A NEW DAVID BOWIE HAS BEEN RELEASED!!!!

CBII

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 4, 2013 06:24

CBII
Anyplace, anytime I will see this performed live! It's been a LONG, LONG slog of a wait but it has happened, A NEW DAVID BOWIE HAS BEEN RELEASED!!!!
I agree at the bottom line, David Bowie is back and thats epic. Nearly 10 long years and one of the greatest people in music ever. Its hard for anyone to dispute that even if you aren't a fan. I do really really hope he performs live. Even if its just a few shows (I'd say one, as long as its New York), its one of my biggest regrets that I've never seen him live (why? I haven't the slightest. I think because I assumed I didn't like his new music and that was most of what he played so I figured the shows weren't worth it. I now see how wrong I am), I need to see him once before I die.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 4, 2013 06:37

I am lucky to have seen him many times, and yes, he is worth the effort to see live. I too will try to make any show he announces. ESPECIALLY IN NEW YORK!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 4, 2013 15:49

RollingFreak
CBII
I agree at the bottom line, David Bowie is back and thats epic. Nearly 10 long years and one of the greatest people in music ever. Its hard for anyone to dispute that even if you aren't a fan. I do really really hope he performs live. Even if its just a few shows (I'd say one, as long as its New York), its one of my biggest regrets that I've never seen him live (why? I haven't the slightest. I think because I assumed I didn't like his new music and that was most of what he played so I figured the shows weren't worth it. I now see how wrong I am), I need to see him once before I die.

I've seen him twice and both shows were outstanding. NYC, LA or parts of Europe if the lead time to get airfare is possible. I missed Mott The Hoople in 2008, and have been kicking myself ever since.

CBII

Date: March 4, 2013 16:53

CBII
RollingFreak
CBII

I've seen him twice and both shows were outstanding. NYC, LA or parts of Europe if the lead time to get airfare is possible. I missed Mott The Hoople in 2008, and have been kicking myself ever since.
I missed their reunion too. Would have loved to go, but I couldn't justify a trip to London for it. Awesome to see them get back together one more time to close out their career. I'd go travel to London for Bowie if I had to though lol.

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: March 4, 2013 22:25

"The Stars are out tonight" sounds like a leftover from Jagger's "She's The Boss" album. Maybe "Secrets".

Date: March 5, 2013 05:12

Anyone think (You Will) Set The World On Fire sounds EXACTLY like the intro of Jack White's single off his new album Sixteen Saltines? I mean, I know there's alot of similarities in music, but this is nearly identical.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 5, 2013 10:33

DAVID BOWIE CAFE will open in Ginza, Tokyo on March 9.smiling smiley

China Girl cocktail

The Man Who Fell to Earth cocktail

Cat People cocktail

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 5, 2013 19:40

GravityBoy

I've seen a picture of Bowie in the new album PR and I think he's alluding to this picture.

But why?

Perhaps.

He's not under japanese influence and his honor is no longer at stake?

Vincent Van Gogh and David Bowie, two great Icons.

Portrait of Père Tanguy, painted by Vincent van Gogh in 1887, is one of his three paintings of Julien Tanguy. The three works demonstrate a progression in Van Gogh's artistic style after his arrival in Paris. The first is somber, and formed from a simple composition. The second introduces Van Gogh's Japanese prints. The last and most advanced in style, skill and color integrates Japanese, Impressionist, and other influences on the Parisian artist community. This painting conveys a sense of serenity that Van Gogh seeks for himself. This last painting of Tanguy is in the Musée Rodin, Paris.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 5, 2013 19:46

Toru A
DAVID BOWIE CAFE will open in Ginza, Tokyo on March 9.smiling smiley

China Girl cocktail

The Man Who Fell to Earth cocktail

Cat People cocktail

That is beyond silly and embarrassing. What does those money-grabbers has to do with Bowie?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 5, 2013 19:48

Finally recieved the CD; still waiting for the vinyl
It's a solid record; for sure - and the best comeback among the "big artists" since Bob Dylan in 1997, at least

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 5, 2013 20:27

I just got it as well. This is GOOD!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 5, 2013 22:50

Erik_Snow
Finally recieved the CD; still waiting for the vinyl
It's a solid record; for sure - and the best comeback among the "big artists" since Bob Dylan in 1997, at least

Wasn't the earliest release day supposed to be the 8th of March?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 5, 2013 23:10

Now available at all of the usual illicit venues! Arrrgh, Matey!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home