Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20
Re: OT: Bowie's back!
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 24, 2013 17:31

Eirik
RollingFreak
Eirik
Blueranger
Have this on vinyl. Oceans apart from the cd. The vinyl has much more dynamic range. It sounds warmer. It is cut from digital files, but it is simply a different listening experience on vinyl than cd.

I'm a vinyl freak, but I buy very few new releases or remasters on vinyl. They are normally the same masters as the cd, so I just don't see (hear) the point. Analog and digital sound are two different worlds. Normally the dynamic range are far superior on cd's, but most cd releases in the last few years sadly are dynamically compressed in favour of loudness. If your vinyl copy sounds better in this way either the vinyl master is different, or your vinyl rig is ten times more expensive than your cd player.
Agreed. Not that I don't believe your vinyl sounds better, but I never understood people's fascination with buying vinyl these days. From what I've heard, there's no real difference between it and CD sound, as opposed to decades ago when the original vinyl sounded different from the initial CDs that came out of it. I have friends that like to buy the vinyl, for either sound reasons or for having the big artwork because its "retro". But coming from someone who loves vinyl, I buy old stuff because its cheap and there is a sound difference. I don't understand buying new vinyl that I'm told sounds no different and costs $20 at least, which I think is ridiculous.

Exactly what I mean. Vinyl these days are mostly just a gimmick or a marketing kind of thing. If they're from the same digital master as the cd, I just don't get it. A good example that the cd has better sonic qualities than the vinyl, is the 2002 Rolling Stones remasters which I own on both vinyl, cd's and sacd's. The vinyl editions sound very good, but the cd/sacd's are far superior sounding in every way. Then again, these cd's are not brickwalled the same way as new releases today. CD's today sadly suffer from the lound mastering/remastering as they're ment to be heard on itunes or flat mp3's. The cd's initial advantage over the vinyl was the wider dynamic range, but this has had to give way for extreme loudness and silly overpowered bass. I own expensive both phono and cd gear, but I have to say new recordings today sound no better here than in my childrens portable music players. Sadly.

Some vinyls sound much better than the CD though. Even if they're made from the same digital source they're obviously not brickwalled like the CD. For example Alabama Shakes first album sounds very good on vinyl while the CD is too compressed and very harsh sounding.
Another example is Led Zeppelin Celebration Day. I found the CD really dreadful while the vinyl is amazing (even if it's made from the same 48kHz/24bit digital source).
However other vinyls are a waste of money. For example Ty Segall Band album sound as bad on vinyl as on CD... Usually with todays bands you never know what you're going to find on vinyl.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 25, 2013 20:06

I have seen this costume.

And this

and this

And loads of other great stuff at the V&A exhibition in London.

I spent a while looking at his hand-written lyrics.. Ashes to Ashes especially.

It's "..little green wheels that follow me..." by the way.. but he crossed out something before that.. it wasn't "wheels"... but I couldn't figure it out.

Date: March 25, 2013 20:26

The suit on the left is also there and was one of the ones that affected me most.

I loved that album (not all Bowie fans like it).

There are tons of other costumes/bits and pieces there.

His suit he wore for Live Aid.

His spaceboy costume for Starman on TOTP.

This:

This (Life on Mars video suit):

This (Ashes to Ashes video clown outfile:

Much more...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-25 20:40 by GravityBoy.

Date: March 26, 2013 20:58

I waited and waited for my birthday, not listening to the stuff on YouTube.

It was a birthday present, I knew it was coming.

I listened to "The Next Day" album 5 times today (yes sad).

I LOVE IT.

FFS this is brilliant.

And sad.

How long can he do this?

I'm melting.

As long as there's rain, as long as there's fire...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-26 21:00 by GravityBoy.

Date: March 26, 2013 21:05

IF YOU CAN SEE ME.....

That is absolutely the total David Bowie dogs boll*cks.

Jeeze... no one else can do this stuff.

Date: March 26, 2013 21:36

You mean you were waiting until today to actually listen to The Next Day album? confused smiley

Date: March 26, 2013 21:39

kowalski
You mean you were waiting until today to actually listen to The Next Day album? confused smiley

Well almost... my birthday was last friday but we travelled to London to see Charlie and the Bowie V&A and lots of other stuff (Rowan Atkinson, Westminster Abbey, Once at the Pheonix)...

So first time today.

Blown away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-26 21:41 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: MrStoned ()
Date: March 26, 2013 23:21

Really look forward to see Bowie On Tour. smileys with beer

// Mr. Stoned... stoner and bootlegger... visit Stoned Records

Date: September 30, 2013 10:17

Posted today on Bowie Facebook page :

To be released in November : 3-disc version of David Bowie’s brilliant The Next Day album.

Called The Next Day Extra, the set includes the original 14-track CD, a 10-track CD of bonus tracks and a DVD of the four promotional films made for the album: Where Are We Now?, The Stars (Are Out Tonight), The Next Day and Valentine’s Day.

The 10-track bonus CD includes four previously unreleased tracks, two new mixes and God Bless The Girl, the track that was only released on the Japanese issue of The Next Day. The remaining three tracks gather up the bonus tracks from the deluxe version of the album.

Here’s the tracklist for The Next Day Extra…

01 Atomica
02 Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for The DFA)
03 Plan
04 The Informer
05 Like A Rocket Man
06 Born In A UFO
07 I’d Rather Be High (Venetian Mix)
08 I’ll Take You There
09 God Bless The Girl
10 So She

The whole thing comes in a tasty new Barnbrook package with a lyric booklet and a book of stills from the promo films.

In addition to the physical release of The Next Day Extra, there will be a 7-track digital EP bundle featuring these tracks…

01 Atomica
02 Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for The DFA)
03 The Informer
04 Like A Rocket Man
05 Born In A UFO
06 I’d Rather Be High (Venetian Mix)
07 God Bless The Girl

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-30 10:18 by kowalski.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 30, 2013 10:32

Oy. Thanks for the info. I'll be first in line but I'm beginning to feel like a sucker for buying expensive Japanese imports for bonus tracks.

Date: September 30, 2013 10:56

Glam Descendant
Oy. Thanks for the info. I'll be first in line but I'm beginning to feel like a sucker for buying expensive Japanese imports for bonus tracks.

Get the 7-track digital EP. At least that's what I'll do. Already bought the regular CD edition and the high res version...

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 30, 2013 11:10

kowalski
Glam Descendant

Get the 7-track digital EP. At least that's what I'll do. Already bought the regular CD edition and the high res version...

But I want the DVD and the book!

They've got my type pegged.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 30, 2013 11:20

God I really want him to tour. Or just play one show... in America lol.

Date: October 1, 2013 16:46

How to read like Bowie : David Bowie's Top 100 books

[www.openbooktoronto.com]

OT: Bowie Named Best-Dressed Brit Of All Time
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 16, 2013 15:53

Re: OT: Bowie Named Best-Dressed Brit Of All Time
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 16, 2013 16:00

It's Roger Moore in my book...

2 1 2 0

Re: OT: Bowie Named Best-Dressed Brit Of All Time
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 16, 2013 16:01

Brits have always been known for their impeccable fashion sense ....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 16, 2013 18:08

Everytime I see this thread bumped I hope it is for a tour date grinning smiley .

Posted by: TE ()
Date: October 17, 2013 08:26

RollingFreak
Everytime I see this thread bumped I hope it is for a tour date grinning smiley .

+1

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 17, 2013 08:28

TE
RollingFreak

+1

TE
Oslo

+2

LPK
Stockholm

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: October 17, 2013 09:28

Yeah, I was just thinking that, too. Darn.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 17, 2013 15:27

kowalski
Glam Descendant

Yeah, DB likes to convey that he operates outside of the bullshit music industry but this album has been promoted with all the usual tricks though none of us can know how much control he has over it. At least it's possible to only download the new stuff and that's all I shall be doing too.

OT: Five new Bowie-tracks - exclusive!
Date: October 31, 2013 12:28

I haven't got the time to listen myself right now, but here are (supposedly) five new tracks - one week before the release:

[www.aftenposten.no]

Re: OT: Five new Bowie-tracks - exclusive!
Date: October 31, 2013 13:06

Date: October 31, 2013 13:12

I guess they weren't that exclusive, then? Never trust the newspapers! Oh, hang on - I'm working in one... grinning smiley

Date: October 31, 2013 13:19

DandelionPowderman
I guess they weren't that exclusive, then? Never trust the newspapers! Oh, hang on - I'm working in one... grinning smiley

Be quick to listen to them from the links above, they might be gone by the end of the day...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 31, 2013 14:07

.........Loved The Next Day....love it even more now...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 31, 2013 15:30

David the merciless! I'm going to have to get this. Some lucky friend is going to get the previous "Next Day" deluxe that I bought.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 31, 2013 21:09

Not spectacular.....but typical Bowie songs

Date: October 31, 2013 21:37

All gone...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1167
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home