Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20
Re: OT: Bowie's back!
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 9, 2013 18:15

It sure has a nice, powerful sound to it. The first tracks remind me of Scary Monsters and Tin Machine, but in a good way. He's making references, rearraging bits from the past, really squeezing something new out of them. On first impression it's his most alive sounding album in years (not counting the 10-year-gap since Reality). And I LOVE the artwork!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-09 19:05 by Greenblues.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 9, 2013 21:46

Greenblues
It sure has a nice, powerful sound to it. The first tracks remind me of Scary Monsters and Tin Machine, but in a good way. He's making references, rearraging bits from the past, really squeezing something new out of them. On first impression it's his most alive sounding album in years (not counting the 10-year-gap since Reality). And I LOVE the artwork!

Some songs sound like he's revisiting his discography. Takes some time to get used to it but very good album overall. Still not sure about the cover art though...

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 10, 2013 00:01

Listening to the album now. It's really working for me. Very nice rhythmically (is that a touch of dub step on I Can See You?)
I think it should apppeal to fans of late 70s Bowie.
Catchy choruses too.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 10, 2013 05:32

GravityBoy
Played Scary Monsters tonight.

What a great album.

Fripping brilliant.

What do you think of Japanese voice on It's No Game Part 1?
She is Michi Hirota.

Michi is pictured right.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 10, 2013 10:41

Off topic, but thats the only album by the band Sparks that I know. And its one of the best albums ever.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 10, 2013 11:13

Toru A
GravityBoy
Played Scary Monsters tonight.

What a great album.

Fripping brilliant.

What do you think of Japanese voice on It's No Game Part 1?
She is Michi Hirota.

Michi is pictured right.

I love it Toru! Really, it is captivating, and so menacing. And then how Bowie sings using full demented vibrato. Love it.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 10, 2013 11:19

Just heard it. Great album.
Some songs sound as they have been around forever.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 10, 2013 15:21

great album

Date: March 11, 2013 04:34

Another great album hammered by LOUD mastering...

Date: March 11, 2013 05:12

Does anyone have the physical CD? And can they say whether it sounds better than the download online? I'm planning to buy it, but I'm a bit upset with the download online because Bowie's vocals seem buried in the mix. I'm hoping the actual CD fixes this problem.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 11, 2013 15:47

kowalski
Another great album hammered by LOUD mastering...

I just turn down my mastering and it sounds fine...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 11, 2013 16:22

RollingFreak
Does anyone have the physical CD? And can they say whether it sounds better than the download online? I'm planning to buy it, but I'm a bit upset with the download online because Bowie's vocals seem buried in the mix. I'm hoping the actual CD fixes this problem.

Doesn't sound very different to me, maybe a bit "brighter". It's not bad overall, 3 (#3,4,9), let's say 4 (add #5), very good songs, the rest is forgettable and will be forgotten. One thing is certain this album has been way too hyped out for it's own good!

Date: March 11, 2013 18:04

gotdablouse
RollingFreak

Doesn't sound very different to me, maybe a bit "brighter". It's not bad overall, 3 (#3,4,9), let's say 4 (add #5), very good songs, the rest is forgettable and will be forgotten. One thing is certain this album has been way too hyped out for it's own good!
I tend to agree, but Bowie's stuff since Diamond Dogs has always been a growing experience for me. For example, both singles that were released took me at least 3 listens to really get into. Now I love them, but I know them more than the rest of the album so its an unfair advantage. Aside from the two singles, the only other songs that really stuck out to me were Valentine's Day and You Are So Lonely You Could Die. I agree it'll be a forgettable album, but a new Bowie album alone, whether it sucks or not, is most likely worth the hype. Just not some of the greatest stuff he's ever recorded, as I've read in BS Rolling Stone.

Posted by: hobshobs ()
Date: March 11, 2013 18:15

Class album. The guy still has it.

Date: March 11, 2013 18:46

RollingFreak
gotdablouse
RollingFreak

I tend to agree, but Bowie's stuff since Diamond Dogs has always been a growing experience for me. For example, both singles that were released took me at least 3 listens to really get into. Now I love them, but I know them more than the rest of the album so its an unfair advantage. Aside from the two singles, the only other songs that really stuck out to me were Valentine's Day and You Are So Lonely You Could Die. I agree it'll be a forgettable album, but a new Bowie album alone, whether it sucks or not, is most likely worth the hype. Just not some of the greatest stuff he's ever recorded, as I've read in BS Rolling Stone.

Yeah I was on the fence about "Valentine's Day" too, ok ,make that 5 memorable tracks then, not bad!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: March 11, 2013 22:50

Finally heard it - twice - after ignoring the itunes streaming and waiting for the CD. Really like it. I couldn't possibly say where it'll end up in my ranking of Bowie albums which can change from week to week anyway but I'm sure it's a keeper.

Date: March 12, 2013 01:08

The Next Day in "Studio Masters" (high res 24 bits / 96.0 kHz) : [www.qobuz.com]

Date: March 13, 2013 11:49

Have you listened to that version? Less compression hopefully?

Date: March 13, 2013 18:50

Having just listened to it straight through once again I felt the need to say a little more and bump this thread up to the top again. I'm rationing myself - two hearings on Monday and once per day since then which means I've only heard it four times but it's really starting to kick in now. Tony Visconti has done a wonderful production job to my ears and if Bowie's voice is a little back in the mix it does suit the songs. There's some excellent guitar work there - I've always loved Earl Slick - but what strikes me more each time is just how well crafted the songwriting is. It's still too early to make any rash statements but I am beginning to believe that this will be looked back on as a classic. For me, the hype is justified.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: March 13, 2013 19:18

It's a grower. And it sounds really good on cd. Much better than any mp3 version I heard before. On some cd's the difference is not that big between mp3 and the actual cd but here it is huge. It comes to life on cd. Now I'm wondering what LP sounds like smiling smiley

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: March 13, 2013 20:14

I caught a little blurb this morning on MSN that quoted Iman as saying she couldn't make the tour (???) as she had to stay home with their daughter, anyone else see that?

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 13, 2013 20:47

Yes, I did see that Iman quote. It made the Huffington Post.

Sounds quite promising! Tour in the Summer perhaps?

Date: March 13, 2013 20:52

Date: March 13, 2013 20:55

Honestly, whether he tours or not, you have to admire Bowie. I so so want him to tour because I've never seen him, but there are very few people who literally hold the world in their hands. At any moment, he could say "we're gonna tour" or "absolutely @#$%& not", and everyone just has to accept it. Hardly anyone has that kind of power. AND gets away with it.

Again, whether he tours or not, Bowie is awesome!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 13, 2013 21:31

RollingFreak
Honestly, whether he tours or not, you have to admire Bowie. I so so want him to tour because I've never seen him, but there are very few people who literally hold the world in their hands. At any moment, he could say "we're gonna tour" or "absolutely @#$%& not", and everyone just has to accept it. Hardly anyone has that kind of power. AND gets away with it.

Again, whether he tours or not, Bowie is awesome!

To be honest, Bowie doesn't need to go on the treadmill of album/tour/album. Consider Young Americans, Lodger, Scary Monsters. He didn't tour behind these albums, making the odd television appearance, and that was it.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 13, 2013 21:52

MUSIC
David Bowie's wife lets slip his new tour plans?
Published Wednesday, Mar 13 2013, 11:36 GMT | By Lewis Corner |12 comments

Tweet71

David Bowie's wife Iman has seemingly let slip that the star is preparing to embark on a world tour.

During a new interview, the singer's spouse revealed that she will be unable to travel with him on tour as she has to look after their 12-year-old daughter Alexandria.

Read more: [www.digitalspy.co.uk]
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Date: March 13, 2013 23:17

I dunno, I have really mixed feelings about him performing live again. In all honesty, (even though the shows sold well), it was pretty easy getting decent seats for the Reality tour especially via Bowienet, of which I was a member. I know for a fact that plenty of Bnetters got front or second row in the presale; I was always in the first ten rows and all for £50 a time. Fast forward to ticketing 2013 style and I really don't want to see DB caught up in that VIP/hospitality package/Viagogo circus. I'd rather just remember the way things were.

Date: March 14, 2013 00:09

gotdablouse
Have you listened to that version? Less compression hopefully?

I haven't got a chance to listen to the high res version but according to comments on Qobuz website, it's the same dynamically compressed version.
I must say I'm already very disappointed by the CD, soundwise. This is again clearly an album made for iPod users.

Date: March 14, 2013 00:26

If there is any justice in this world Bowie will win this race:

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 14, 2013 01:54

He deserves it of course but it would probably take a miracle goodnight. I didn't help : I splurged on a Japanese version for bonus track.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home