Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20
OT: Mysterious Bowie
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 3, 2013 14:08

From Davidbowie.com:
“Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe”

Good news coming.

Re: OT: Mysterious Bowie
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 3, 2013 14:30

I don't find his new music interesting. I wonder how many albums were sold or money taken in from this new music via downloads etc. Here is how bad the music biz is these days [www.rawstory.com]

The last way to make decent money is to tour and I don't see him doing this. A more sunny examaple is Leonard Cohen (age 79) who is making millions happy as he is out performing each year and putting on a very professional show. Due to awful management L Cohen lost the 8 million he had stashed away for his golden years. So he was forced to tour. Bowie has no such problems and being a semi-recluse these days. He will stay at home and issue music

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 3, 2013 14:33

You should give the latest cd another chance. It's one of those that gets better with every listen. PS: I saw Leonard Cohen & it was wonderful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-03 14:34 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 3, 2013 15:15

triceratops
I don't find his new music interesting. I wonder how many albums were sold or money taken in from this new music via downloads etc. Here is how bad the music biz is these days [www.rawstory.com]

The last way to make decent money is to tour and I don't see him doing this. A more sunny examaple is Leonard Cohen (age 79) who is making millions happy as he is out performing each year and putting on a very professional show. Due to awful management L Cohen lost the 8 million he had stashed away for his golden years. So he was forced to tour. Bowie has no such problems and being a semi-recluse these days. He will stay at home and issue music

Bowie's last album is considered to be among his best work, and I bet he doesn;t give a hoot about money. He is an artist, a creater who needs to create, no matter if you earn money with it (his net worth of 400 million also helps).

Mathijs

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 3, 2013 15:50

Mathijs

Bowie's last album is considered to be among his best work, and I bet he doesn;t give a hoot about money. He is an artist, a creater who needs to create, no matter if you earn money with it (his net worth of 400 million also helps).

Mathijs

He has no compulsion to create. He dropped out for 8 years after the heart attack while performing. Bowie fans, enjoy. But his new music does nothing for me. Here is a recent headline>>>

David Bowie’s Vanishing Act—and Looming Return
Jun 6, 2012 4:45 AM EDT
The superstar never officially retired, but stopped recording and performing nearly a decade ago after a massive heart attack. Chris Lee looks at the erstwhile Thin White Duke’s disappearance from public view—and his plans to reenter the limelight next fall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-03 15:51 by triceratops.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 3, 2013 15:52

I'm still praying to see him live some day.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2013 15:53

Mathijs
triceratops

Mathijs

I think if he were to tour again there would be arena type interest. It would be on a large scale as it was back in the early 80s.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 3, 2013 15:53

Sirius XM Sattelite radio added a Bowie channel this week. I immediately thought that a tour is coming.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2013 16:04

triceratops
. Here is how bad the music biz is these days [www.rawstory.com]

This story is a bit shocking triceratops...I think it deserves it's own thread. I think everyone knows that the music industry is in bad shape but I didn't know how bad things have actually gotten.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 3, 2013 17:48

treaclefingers
triceratops

This story is a bit shocking triceratops...I think it deserves it's own thread. I think everyone knows that the music industry is in bad shape but I didn't know how bad things have actually gotten.

Maybe the industry should stop selling "target market" so-called artists (who wants an entire album of K. Perry songs??) and support real acts. Anyway the interesting & exciting music is not anymore in music companies hands... It's out there on small labels and the internet.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 3, 2013 17:58

If there is one artist who didn't any thing wrong ....it's Bowie........he just did what he loved making music his way.......
Next to the Stones and Beatles he is number 3.......with 5 great records on a row

Re: OT: Bowie
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 3, 2013 18:27

Not much of a mystery actually. The message above was posted October 29, and followed a couple of days later by this:

“Halloween Jack is a real cool cat”

This is the news we’ve been teasing you with. We have moved the online premiere of David Bowie’s latest visual back a day from November 1st as it has a “strangely moving gothic inflected storyline perfect for Halloween”.

[www.davidbowie.com]

Date: November 3, 2013 18:58

kowalski
treaclefingers
triceratops

Maybe the industry should stop selling "target market" so-called artists (who wants an entire album of K. Perry songs??) and support real acts. Anyway the interesting & exciting music is not anymore in music companies hands... It's out there on small labels and the internet.

While I'm with you there in spirit Kowalski, I think the reality of doing that may make things even worse. Could you imagine what volumes they'd be selling if they weren't shilling Katy and Miley and One Direction?

Our 'market' isn't buying in the numbers needed to sustain the industry, and I think that's probably always been the case.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 3, 2013 19:43

Chris Fountain
Mathijs
triceratops

Mathijs

I think if he were to tour again there would be arena type interest. It would be on a large scale as it was back in the early 80s.

'Arena' ??

He could fill any stadium in the planet.

Date: November 3, 2013 19:57

Gazza
Chris Fountain
Mathijs
triceratops

Mathijs

'Arena' ??

No offense-

I'm only stating facts of his tours from 2000 on. He played small venues. Yes he has a loyal staunch fan base that would back a Int'l tour launch-

His latest astounding Album has once again rejunivated the Bowie enthusiasm. It's damn good music & has VU influence.

Therefore, A world tour is a good ideasmileys with beer

Date: November 3, 2013 20:05

treaclefingers
kowalski
treaclefingers
triceratops

While I'm with you there in spirit Kowalski, I think the reality of doing that may make things even worse. Could you imagine what volumes they'd be selling if they weren't shilling Katy and Miley and One Direction?

Our 'market' isn't buying in the numbers needed to sustain the industry, and I think that's probably always been the case.

Or maybe it's just her album that is bad... smiling smiley (I bet it's all about unlistenable overcompressed bubble pop music!)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 3, 2013 20:37

Chris Fountain
Gazza
Chris Fountain
Mathijs
triceratops

Mathijs

'Arena' ??

No offense-

I'm only stating facts of his tours from 2000 on. He played small venues. Yes he has a loyal staunch fan base that would back a Int'l tour launch-

His latest astounding Album has once again rejunivated the Bowie enthusiasm. It's damn good music & has VU influence.

No offence taken.

Last couple of tours were generally (by choice) a mix of arenas, theatres and festivals.

[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]

There was never any real shortage in public interest though and now there's been a ten year gap, demand would be huge.

While I think he'll play some shows, I dont think there's much chance of a lengthy tour. The Reality tour was unusually long by Bowie standards and even thats a different era now. It was the first lengthy tour he'd done in almost a decade.

I dont think the motivation is there, he's become quite settled in his domestic life, health may or may not be an issue and he most certainly doesnt appear to be driven by money.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 3, 2013 20:49

outstanding new record.....and yes it gets better with every listen...the new outtakes from last week that have since disappeared are brilliant...classic Bowie....

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 3, 2013 21:12

Chris Fountain
Gazza
Chris Fountain
Mathijs
triceratops

Mathijs

'Arena' ??

No offense-

Well, he played an 18,000 seat arena at the Reality Tour show I saw in Vancouver in '03 and it was sold out. Not a small venue.

Date: November 3, 2013 23:12

andrewm
Chris Fountain
Gazza
Chris Fountain
Mathijs
triceratops

Mathijs

'Arena' ??

No offense-

Well, he played an 18,000 seat arena at the Reality Tour show I saw in Vancouver in '03 and it was sold out. Not a small venue.

Let's keep the show on !!!! Play everywhere or anywhere R & R Forever!!

Date: November 4, 2013 00:47

treaclefingers
kowalski
treaclefingers
triceratops

I can only really talk about it from my perspective as a person in their 20s. I love albums, but there's no real reason to buy them anymore. Unless you already have a record collection that you are adding this to, its just not really necessary. You'll put them on your computer or iPod and never hear them again. I don't have a lot of money, and I'm not encouraging people to get their music for free because obviously there are a lot of musicians like me who don't have a lot of money and this is how they are trying to make it.

With the internet, there's just no need for a psychical product anymore. I hate saying that but its very true. I love album art and liner notes and physical CDs, but you don't need them anymore. They take up space and they are now there just to have. You'll never actually use them now that we have so many other methods to hear this music. And you can get ANYTHING for free these days. So its just that everything is flawed in that its too available that for someone of my age, its dumb to buy an album when I can get it in two seconds online for free.

I will say I try to be different from the pack in that anything I do like, I then go to see live and I really try to stick to that. At least they are getting my money that way, which I know isn't a good defensive but a concert and live music is the one thing you still can't really get for free. You can see it online, but thats different. I can't have a virtual free concert. Everything else: I go to a record store nowadays and think "why am I even bothering? Unless I can't find this online, there's sadly no reason to be here." There's too much to actually really discover something out of the blue in a store and even then I don't have the money to really take a chance.

Thats just how I see it. I don't think its right, but I'd be lying if I said that isn't my reality, and thats coming from someone that used to really like buying music. Again, not using that as a defensive, but I'm just saying that even I don't see the point anymore unfortunately. I don't know how they can fix the system. Unless they band music from the internet, thats just the way its gotta be. Even with movies they can at least make money because you can't quite replicate a theater. In terms of music, artists are essentially making this stuff for free, and then hoping that reaches enough people for them to make money live. Its a really really sad situation and just when I think it can't get worse, it seems to. Its been on a horrible decline the last 10 years. No one cares about physical music anymore or paying for things, and with the internet being so vast I find it hard to blame them.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 4, 2013 01:02

The extrovert side of Bowie must be salivating at the current technological (and financial) options available to him with regard to live performance.

Date: November 4, 2013 03:22

RollingFreak
treaclefingers
kowalski
treaclefingers
triceratops

I can only really talk about it from my perspective as a person in their 20s. I love albums, but there's no real reason to buy them anymore. Unless you already have a record collection that you are adding this to, its just not really necessary. You'll put them on your computer or iPod and never hear them again. I don't have a lot of money, and I'm not encouraging people to get their music for free because obviously there are a lot of musicians like me who don't have a lot of money and this is how they are trying to make it.

With the internet, there's just no need for a psychical product anymore. I hate saying that but its very true. I love album art and liner notes and physical CDs, but you don't need them anymore. They take up space and they are now there just to have. You'll never actually use them now that we have so many other methods to hear this music. And you can get ANYTHING for free these days. So its just that everything is flawed in that its too available that for someone of my age, its dumb to buy an album when I can get it in two seconds online for free.

I will say I try to be different from the pack in that anything I do like, I then go to see live and I really try to stick to that. At least they are getting my money that way, which I know isn't a good defensive but a concert and live music is the one thing you still can't really get for free. You can see it online, but thats different. I can't have a virtual free concert. Everything else: I go to a record store nowadays and think "why am I even bothering? Unless I can't find this online, there's sadly no reason to be here." There's too much to actually really discover something out of the blue in a store and even then I don't have the money to really take a chance.

Thats just how I see it. I don't think its right, but I'd be lying if I said that isn't my reality, and thats coming from someone that used to really like buying music. Again, not using that as a defensive, but I'm just saying that even I don't see the point anymore unfortunately. I don't know how they can fix the system. Unless they band music from the internet, thats just the way its gotta be. Even with movies they can at least make money because you can't quite replicate a theater. In terms of music, artists are essentially making this stuff for free, and then hoping that reaches enough people for them to make money live. Its a really really sad situation and just when I think it can't get worse, it seems to. Its been on a horrible decline the last 10 years. No one cares about physical music anymore or paying for things, and with the internet being so vast I find it hard to blame them.

Well.. while I understand your point of view, I don't think I can agree as I'm still buying music on albums - be it CD's, vinyl or downloads. Maybe it's because the bands I listen to nowadays seem to care about this format.

But also to me a good album has a particular mood or ambiance, a distinguishable sound, a beginning and an ending, etc. And that's why I think the album format is the only way to know if a band is really good.

About the price : it's right, new albums are quite expensive, but not all. Some new CD's cost about 12€ (QOTSA last album for example). And you can find a lot of one year old CD's for much cheaper...

Date: November 4, 2013 07:32

kowalski
Well.. while I understand your point of view, I don't think I can agree as I'm still buying music on albums - be it CD's, vinyl or downloads. Maybe it's because the bands I listen to nowadays seem to care about this format.

But also to me a good album has a particular mood or ambiance, a distinguishable sound, a beginning and an ending, etc. And that's why I think the album format is the only way to know if a band is really good.

About the price : it's right, new albums are quite expensive, but not all. Some new CD's cost about 12€ (QOTSA last album for example). And you can find a lot of one year old CD's for much cheaper...

I understand all of those points. My question would be:

For the first point, did you already have a CD collection? Because what I meant is if someone doesn't these days, I understand them not feeling the need to start one. For someone that already has had a collection for a decade or two, I understand them buying a new CD every month or so because they already have an extensive library to add it to. Its not just wasted space because that person already must have a spot for their CDs.

I completely agree with the second point. "Album" is what I look for from bands these days and I do think in a way its making a comeback. But I can get the same feeling you are describing from just having the album on my computer. I know its not the same, and I do love having that physical thing, but if I buy the physical CD I'll also probably never play that again as how many times do I sit down and listen to an actual CD. I don't think artists making "albums" these days is necessarily the same as owning the CD anymore.

As for the final point, I also understand the price reduction in something a year old. The thing is, at that point, if I don't have the CD already, do I really need it? I'm not trying to argue that CDs aren't great, because they are and I loved and still do love them, just as I loved vinyls. Thing is in this modern time with the internet, and especially in the last few years, I have had a hard time arguing with people that they are still relevant unless you have already been collecting CDs for years at this point.

Date: November 4, 2013 16:36

RollingFreak
kowalski

I understand all of those points. My question would be:

For the first point, did you already have a CD collection? Because what I meant is if someone doesn't these days, I understand them not feeling the need to start one. For someone that already has had a collection for a decade or two, I understand them buying a new CD every month or so because they already have an extensive library to add it to. Its not just wasted space because that person already must have a spot for their CDs.

I completely agree with the second point. "Album" is what I look for from bands these days and I do think in a way its making a comeback. But I can get the same feeling you are describing from just having the album on my computer. I know its not the same, and I do love having that physical thing, but if I buy the physical CD I'll also probably never play that again as how many times do I sit down and listen to an actual CD. I don't think artists making "albums" these days is necessarily the same as owning the CD anymore.

As for the final point, I also understand the price reduction in something a year old. The thing is, at that point, if I don't have the CD already, do I really need it? I'm not trying to argue that CDs aren't great, because they are and I loved and still do love them, just as I loved vinyls. Thing is in this modern time with the internet, and especially in the last few years, I have had a hard time arguing with people that they are still relevant unless you have already been collecting CDs for years at this point.

Well I'm in the position of collecting for probably 35 years now, so for me I totally see your point in someone that's already been collecting for so long.

Beyond the 'space' we've allotted for it, it is a habit that's already been formed. We do it because that's what we've always done. Having said that I collect vinyl because it looks and sounds better. New vinyl is FAR more expensive though, than a download so I only buy new vinyl that I'm in it for the 'collecting', so mostly Stones.

I go to record fairs though and it's great being able to buy high quality music in vinyl form for fantastic prices, ie $1 or 2 for an almost new album, or 4 or 5 album jazz boxsets for 3-5...all in pristine condition. That to me, those great finds, that adds to the fun.

As for CD's, even though I've been collecting them for almost 30 years, I really don't care about the physical product in that case. Having just the download instead is fine. BUT I find that it's usually less expensive, or almost the same price to order the CD and have it delivered from Amazon, than to download it.

From that perspective, my argument is 'why download' when I get the cd and can rip it and then have an automatic 'back up copy' with album art. OK, if there is really ONLY one song I want, maybe then I'll just download that, but usually I like to try the whole album.

So while I don't really care about CD's, I'll keep buying them until they reduce the price of downloading, or CD's go away entirely. I can wait the 3 days or so that it takes for delivery.

After all of that though, I totally understand the argument for being able to have ALL your music on your phone, backed up to the cloud. It's neat and tidy, although we'll probably argue about sound quality.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home