Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: Lady Gaga
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 20, 2012 16:08

Not a fan of Gag Gag, but I thought she was great. Her vocals were spot on, and visually she provided some comic relief. However, I'm not so sure that Gimme Shelter should have anything to do with comedy! I did get a kick out of her though.

Ross

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 20, 2012 16:15

Happy24
DandelionPowderman, I think not many of us have a problem with her actual singing on that particular number, I think that it was a nice surprise for everyone. But when I see it, I have a serious problem with paying attention to the music, I keep on thinking, what the hell is that? Is he in an unbearable pain, or what? You may say that it is my personal problem and maybe it is. But for me her stage presence (intentionaly) steals all my attention and that is not what I like.

I know, that one can say pretty much the same about all the effects that The Stones themselves have been using during their shows in the last 20 years.

It was not bad, I think, but I would enjoy the song more without her. But it is no big deal, really.

I mentioned Eddie Vedder above. Put those two performances side by side and you will see, that the general approach is as different as it can be. It is natural, that some people prefer one way and others the other.

I think Eddie Vedder doing the Merry Clayton part would come over a bit bassy.

I suppose he could try it in falsetto, although then Mick'd be able to do that himself.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: December 20, 2012 16:25

Ross
Not a fan of Gag Gag, but I thought she was great. Her vocals were spot on, and visually she provided some comic relief. However, I'm not so sure that Gimme Shelter should have anything to do with comedy! I did get a kick out of her though.

Ross

I tend to agree regarding the number. It just didn't seem like the right one for her. I had expected her to come out for Honky Tonk Women, where her vamping might have been more appropriate. Didn't have a problem with her as a guest though, just that particular number. My two cents.

Date: December 20, 2012 16:40

MrMonte
Ross

Ross

I tend to agree regarding the number. It just didn't seem like the right one for her. I had expected her to come out for Honky Tonk Women, where her vamping might have been more appropriate. Didn't have a problem with her as a guest though, just that particular number. My two cents.

I don't disagree with that sentiment...I thought she handled the vocal incredibly well though.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 20, 2012 16:56

superrevvy
Gazza
Midnight Toker
Lady Gaga a mere tool to sell more pay-per-view.She sucks IMO and has no business on stage with the Stones. Sorry, pop music today really sucks.

How many people do you seriously think spent $40 for a pay per view event to see one song performed by a band they would otherwise have had no interest in?

The answer is many, as even a cursory visit to any of her fan forums
makes clear. And it still counts if you get your parents to pay.

It also counts that she provided virtually all the pre-PPV buzz, which
undoubtedly helped many casuals and undecideds to push the "buy" button.

So, yes, she absolutely was a tool to sell more pay-per-views, but not a
mere tool. Because she performed so well, adding lotza juice to the
show right when it was desperately needed.

And in the end, she was the only performer that night who pushed her limits
and took some risks. Everybody else, including the Stones, even if they played
well, basically played it safe.

(Upon third viewing of the PPV now, the lack of intensity from anybody onstage,
besides Gaga, and most definitely including Jagger, is what stands out for me.
Except for the rare musically semi-inspired moment, it was all just too much
like a day at the office. When the show ends, after the encores, the excitement
level of the audience drops to zero, instantly. No afterglow, no buzzing.
Generally speaking, of course.)

This is how the wrestling media covered the story, lending support to the
commercial theory regarding the selection of guests:

Monday, December 10, 2012

WWE Adds Acts To Rolling Stones Concert PPV Saturday

WWE announced Monday they are adding performances by Bruce Springsteen, the
Black Keys, and Lady Gaga to Saturday's pay-per-view of The Rolling Stones' One
More Shot concert from the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 18:40

treaclefingers
Happy24
DandelionPowderman, I think not many of us have a problem with her actual singing on that particular number, I think that it was a nice surprise for everyone. But when I see it, I have a serious problem with paying attention to the music, I keep on thinking, what the hell is that? Is he in an unbearable pain, or what? You may say that it is my personal problem and maybe it is. But for me her stage presence (intentionaly) steals all my attention and that is not what I like.

I know, that one can say pretty much the same about all the effects that The Stones themselves have been using during their shows in the last 20 years.

It was not bad, I think, but I would enjoy the song more without her. But it is no big deal, really.

I mentioned Eddie Vedder above. Put those two performances side by side and you will see, that the general approach is as different as it can be. It is natural, that some people prefer one way and others the other.

I think Eddie Vedder doing the Merry Clayton part would come over a bit bassy.

I suppose he could try it in falsetto, although then Mick'd be able to do that himself.

I was not suggesting Eddie should sing the female part on GS, but I think you got it winking smiley But it surely is a funny idea

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 18:49

Please no Eddie Vedder..

Date: December 20, 2012 22:31

stupidguy2
Please no Eddie Vedder..

As a general rule of thumb I find his vocals irritating, but he did rock it on Comfortably Numb.

Date: December 20, 2012 22:34

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
Please no Eddie Vedder..

As a general rule of thumb I find his vocals irritating, but he did rock it on Comfortably Numb.

Ehh....I like early-mid Pearl Jam. But I think its jarring to hear him sing other people's songs and can you imagine his warble on GS?

Date: December 20, 2012 23:06

Midnight Toker
Lady Gaga a mere tool to sell more pay-per-view.She sucks IMO and has no business on stage with the Stones. Sorry, pop music today really sucks.

- oh yeah man, RIGHT ON. what a joke, hey? makes me ILL that she's on the same damn stage with the stones

for everyone saying 'more people will watch' because of her, etc., there's about 1,000 more losing respect for the stones because of it, i'd wager

and that's NOT GOOD

who cares about Lady G-string; but at least she now knows what it is like to play in front of a sold out crowd. unlike the empty seats she has been playing to recently; she was a fad that most of her teenybopper fans are over with now

highlight of the night was Midnight Rambler anyway, with Mick Taylor

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: December 20, 2012 23:12

Empty seats?! Over?! She has more than 24 Million twitter followers.

So that would mean there are at least that many people worldwide who care about what she is doing or saying.

I can dig that many (including myself) don't like pop music, but she is not just some random one-hit-wonder.

Did you say the same of Madonna in 80's?

Date: December 20, 2012 23:27

well, they both suck, so ....

and i never like madonna's music any but Gaga is obviously copying Madonna in many ways .

while almost everyone plagiarizes or steals in music, there are only so many variations of patterns out there. the key is to hear that tiny riff that you like and turn it into something completely different, which Madonna’s team did comparably well, Lady Gaga's, not so much; GAGA basically just captured one of Madonna's many incarnates and added big shoes

anyway, it takes a creative team of costume designers etc to manufacture both these women, so they only have each others handlers to blame for the redundancies

Date: December 21, 2012 00:04

pinkfloydthebarber
well, they both suck, so ....

and i never like madonna's music any but Gaga is obviously copying Madonna in many ways .

while almost everyone plagiarizes or steals in music, there are only so many variations of patterns out there. the key is to hear that tiny riff that you like and turn it into something completely different, which Madonna’s team did comparably well, Lady Gaga's, not so much; GAGA basically just captured one of Madonna's many incarnates and added big shoes

anyway, it takes a creative team of costume designers etc to manufacture both these women, so they only have each others handlers to blame for the redundancies

Ok, now I liked Madonna in her day, tapped my toes to more a few of her songs...but Gaga is a real musician. Her talent towers over Madge.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 21, 2012 00:14

Gag Gag, Lady G-String, god you guys are funny. Sure, she writes, or co-writes her material, which places her in a realm Madonna can't achieve. And she's respected as an artist by the Rolling Stones. But that shouldn't matter either. And she's accepting of everyone, no matter what they are. She's a bigger man than you two.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 21, 2012 00:28

apparently M is a les paul open-tuner

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 21, 2012 00:41

Urrgh. Those green inlays blow....

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 21, 2012 01:59

Ugh..just came from a killer exercise class - the instructor played Gaga the whole hour. I will say, you can do some serious reps to her tunes...

"stop calling, stop calling, I don't want to think anymore..."

Date: December 21, 2012 04:39

Natlanta
apparently M is a les paul open-tuner

lol....

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 21, 2012 05:22

Madonna has co-written songs as far as I know and she also has a huge case of penis envy judging from her Les Paul guitar photo.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 21, 2012 10:07

No wonder, she's envious...

Picture by Christopher Simon Sykes

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2012 10:26

Madge's dolphin arms are pretty freaky....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2012 10:44

The name of another half-novelty-act half-real-artist, also closely associated
with the WWE, has not come up yet (I don't think). Now it has.

And of course thats exactly what the Stones are now. Half novelty act, half real artists.

Also:

"2013 will mark WWE's 50th Anniversary, with a DVD set and other events planned
to commemorate the milestone. So this is what I anticipate we will see.
1, Lots of collector edition toys,video games,special sets etc.
2. Probably more than just WWE 14 video game released in calendar year.
3. Expanded use of WWE app and other social media.
4. Expanded push for video views on Youtube WWE subscribe channel.
5. Expanded partners into Brazil,China,and the Middle East.
6. With the WWE Network pending and the anniversary year it would also be a
perfect time to announce an actual WWE wrestling hall of fame."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-21 10:49 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: December 21, 2012 12:04

She seemed to have fun at the concert...

Date: December 21, 2012 12:26

Riffbuk

a clever fun part of her WWE contract. thanks for posting.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: December 21, 2012 13:00

Riffbuk

she makes terry richardson laugh a lot.

Date: December 21, 2012 16:48

stupidguy2
treaclefingers
stupidguy2
Please no Eddie Vedder..

Ehh....I like early-mid Pearl Jam. But I think its jarring to hear him sing other people's songs and can you imagine his warble on GS?

I have all the early Pearl Jam stuff...I don't think I could bring myself to listen to now. Jeremy? I'm Alive? too dreary!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 21, 2012 17:00

I agree I find Vedder's vocals irritation. He seems to have one tone, and it is that trying to push a fart out style that just irritates me.

As for Gaga. I am not a fan. Not because I am old, or stale, or intolerant. I just don't like her style of music. Cookie cutter glitter pop. Yes, she has talent. A good voice, plays keyboard. I just don't like her style.

She was fine on Gimme Shelter, but I would not say her vocals were great. She was ok. I liked the ending bit where she pushed them to stray from the rehearsals and she kept singing. Mick for a minute had a look of bemusement, then went along with it. That was nice. She dressed like Ziggy Stardust. Seen it before, and i think Bowie was more beautiful in the day. Her long wig was unnecessary. But yeah. everyone I was with kept saying "she's Ziggy Stardust!"

Date: December 21, 2012 17:03

whitem8
I agree I find Vedder's vocals irritation. He seems to have one tone, and it is that trying to push a fart out style that just irritates me.

As for Gaga. I am not a fan. Not because I am old, or stale, or intolerant. I just don't like her style of music. Cookie cutter glitter pop. Yes, she has talent. A good voice, plays keyboard. I just don't like her style.

She was fine on Gimme Shelter, but I would not say her vocals were great. She was ok. I liked the ending bit where she pushed them to stray from the rehearsals and she kept singing. Mick for a minute had a look of bemusement, then went along with it. That was nice. She dressed like Ziggy Stardust. Seen it before, and i think Bowie was more beautiful in the day. Her long wig was unnecessary. But yeah. everyone I was with kept saying "she's Ziggy Stardust!"

I don't disagree with any of what you've pointed out...although I don't mind her music when I'm in to a 'pop' listen, and my kids really like it so I get exposed to it whether I want or not.

I did like her on the song and like that she jammed it up a bit at the end. A little outside everyone's comfort zone.

Date: December 21, 2012 18:34

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
treaclefingers
stupidguy2
Please no Eddie Vedder..

I have all the early Pearl Jam stuff...I don't think I could bring myself to listen to now. Jeremy? I'm Alive? too dreary!

Oh My God, I know what you mean!
I tried to explain this to my friend. As much as I loved a lot of that stuff at the time - all the way up to Go - and I can't muster enough enthusiasm to listen to it anymore because it was such a down, dreary, depressing, gray, rainy period in music and PJ reflected a lot of that. Its a place I don't wish to revisit. I just think of somber, suicidal kids wearing hoodies and shorts.....
It's become dated in a sense.

Date: December 21, 2012 18:37

whitem8

Can't disagree either. I like most of her hits, but prefer her stripped down on youtube. Gaga, a piano and that voice.
And ditto about Vedder. His voice has one expression.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home