Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12
Re: Lady Gaga
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:17

treaclefingers
Well, she seems to have stirred up a lot of emotion on whether you liked her or not, so...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, as far as she was concerned, and I bet as far as Mick was concerned.

I'm glad they chose her...wasn't the best version ever but it was entertaining, even to watch.

Since when is a Rolling Stones show supposed to be about the visual spectacle? If that's all I wanted, i could go to the light show at the planetarium.

But your post leads me to more questions: Why would stirring up emotion even be one of her missions? Why would Mick want that? If it's soley to create a memorable performance, then yes, I remember it, but I would think they would want a positive memory, not a negative one.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:18

CindyC
Max'sKansasCity
Great perspective Cindy... thanks... and you made me chuckle a bit too.

btw- ignore the dweebs who are camping on this thread just waiting to pounce on anyone who does not shower gaga with glowing praise.... its kind of redonkulaous.

Hey Max, glad I could make you chuckle!

As for the pouncers, pounce away! I was hoping to have loved it, and who knows maybe if i shut my eyes I could have, but that's not the point of a live show now is it.

You summed it all perfectly. She was more of a distraction than someone who helped make the song sound like the great song it can be live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 00:26 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:20

Max'sKansasCity
CindyC
stupidguy2
It's a dark song and Clayton's wail was just that, a wail...it gave the song that added urgency.
Gaga, I think, was trying to capture that. Say what you want about her, but she respects the music.

She may look and seem outrageous, but you take all that away - and she's a musician.
In that respect, a song like GM needs that kind of urgency, almost desperate. Because that's the mood of the song. It had lost that with Lisa's proper rendition. It's not about who the more proper singer is, but who brings some edginess to it. And in light of what happened in CT yesterday, this song needed to be real again.
I think Gaga brought the song back to its original feel and not just as a vocal exercise.

I disagree with a lot of what you write here. While I have no problem with her in general, I do have a problem with her last night. You said she respects the music.... to come out only to sing Gimme Shelter, in that ridiculous @#$%& getup was completely disrespectual to that song.

Perhaps on the video, they don't focus on her the whole time, so you can concentrate on the other players, but in the arena, unfortunately, she was too distracting. I was pulled away from the intensity of the song because my mind was going in ten different directions:
Is she going to fall?
Is her tit going to fall out?
She has nice tits.
Her face is a sweatball?
I wonder if Mick is grossed out looking at her sweaty face?
Her hair looks like it's could catch on fire.
Did she just mess up the words again?

Those and other thoughts were going through my head during most of the song. At the end of it I realized, wow, I barely even heard this song, she ruined it for me. She ruined the song with her antics, thus DISRESPECTING THE MUSIC! I came away from it angry.

btw- ignore the dweebs who are camping on this thread just waiting to pounce on anyone who does not shower gaga with glowing praise.... its kind of redonkulaous.
Max, this is a discussion board.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:21

CindyC
stupidguy2
It's a dark song and Clayton's wail was just that, a wail...it gave the song that added urgency.
Gaga, I think, was trying to capture that. Say what you want about her, but she respects the music.

She may look and seem outrageous, but you take all that away - and she's a musician.
In that respect, a song like GM needs that kind of urgency, almost desperate. Because that's the mood of the song. It had lost that with Lisa's proper rendition. It's not about who the more proper singer is, but who brings some edginess to it. And in light of what happened in CT yesterday, this song needed to be real again.
I think Gaga brought the song back to its original feel and not just as a vocal exercise.

I disagree with a lot of what you write here. While I have no problem with her in general, I do have a problem with her last night. You said she respects the music.... to come out only to sing Gimme Shelter, in that ridiculous @#$%& getup was completely disrespectual to that song.

Perhaps on the video, they don't focus on her the whole time, so you can concentrate on the other players, but in the arena, unfortunately, she was too distracting. I was pulled away from the intensity of the song because my mind was going in ten different directions:
Is she going to fall?
She has nice tits.
Her face is a sweatball?

Those and other thoughts were going through my head during most of the song. At the end of it I realized, wow, I barely even heard this song, she ruined it for me. She ruined the song with her antics, thus DISRESPECTING THE MUSIC! I came away from it angry.

Hmmmm .... Let me ask you this: As you watched her on the stage, were your hands clenched in fists of rage?

Date: December 17, 2012 00:24

I don't get how clothes can be disrespectful to a song. If what Lady Gaga was wearing was disrespectful, then what type of clothes would be considered respectful for that song?

Posted by: Braincapers ()

I thought she was an interesting choice and was prepared to give her a chance but in the end I didn't like it. She didn't sing it particularly well and apart from her boobs making an escape attempt I found her clumping about the stage distracting.

Posted by: riverrat ()

You, too, can have Lady Gaga's boots--only $115, 8" stiletto's

[www.shoebuy.com]

Date: December 17, 2012 00:25

tatters
Hmmmm .... Let me ask you this: As you watched her on the stage, were your hands clenched in fists of rage?

Yes, no angel born in hell, could break that Satan's spell!

But no, I wasn't sitting there fuming or anything, just bummed. I was sitting there in a great seat at a rolling stones concert after all! Things could be worse!

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:26

Gaga in Ray Brown Fashion
[gagafashionland.com]

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:26

Max'sKansasCity
CindyC
Max'sKansasCity

Hey Max, glad I could make you chuckle!

As for the pouncers, pounce away! I was hoping to have loved it, and who knows maybe if i shut my eyes I could have, but that's not the point of a live show now is it.

You summed it all perfectly. She was more of a distraction than someone who could make the song sound like the great song it can be live.
putting anyone on back-up live is a distraction, the song was done best in 69-75 with only mick singing. if you have to use a back-up, better someone like gaga instead of the other talentless hacks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 00:27 by Slick.

Date: December 17, 2012 00:27

The most popular song from last night to be uploaded to youtube is Gimme Shelter.

Date: December 17, 2012 00:27

GumbootCloggeroo
I don't get how clothes can be disrespectful to a song. If what Lady Gaga was wearing was disrespectful, then what type of clothes would be considered respectful for that song?

I guess something that didn't make her look like a slutty clown that's about to fall on her face.

Just slutty would have sufficed I think.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:29

Personally, this thing of having a female singer on Gimme Shelter live kinda spoils the song, that ott screaming always ends up being a distraction. I didn't like how Lisa sang on it the other night.

Of the fine ladies who sang on that song during these gigs, Florence was the best for me, but Lady Gaga brought some oddness to the occasion and shook things up, but it was always going to be a some what akward pairing. Always going to be an odd thing due to the relativley vast differences of the artists performing together.

Perhaps Gaga should have done the unexpected and come on in a pair of jeans and t-shirt and focused purely on singing amazingly, she certainly has the ability. I think she was really nervous, partly out of sheer amazement at who she was performing with and partly due to wanting to be herself, whilst still making it work.

A fine line that's not easy to walk. Sometimes these things create amazing moments, sometimes they don't. Such are the risks bands take when they invite guests up on stage as part of their concerts.

They took a chance and it didn't really work, no real harm done eh!?

smileys with beer

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 00:37 by His Majesty.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:36

His Majesty
Personally, this thing of having a female singer on Gimme Shelter live kinda spoils the song, that ott screaming always ends up being a distraction. I didn't like how Lisa sang on it the other night.

Of the fine ladies who sang on that song during these gigs, Florence was the best for me, but Lady Gaga brought some oddness to the occasion and shook things up, but it was always going to be a some what akward pairing. Always going to be an odd thing due to some what polar opposite artists singing together.

Perhaps Gaga should have done the unexpected and come on in a pair of jeans and t-shirt and focused purely on singing amazingly, she certainly has the ability.

I think she was really nervous, partly out of sheer amazement at who she was performing with and due to wanting to be herself, whilst still making it work.

A fine line that's not easy to walk.

smileys with beer

She's a superstar who has no reason to be nervous in the presence of anyone. Actually, she was the one who was doing them the favor, not the other way around. I like the idea of having her go out there looking like a tough little rock chick and focusing entirely on the song, though. That would have been cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 00:39 by tatters.

Date: December 17, 2012 00:37

GumbootCloggeroo
The most popular song from last night to be uploaded to youtube is Gimme Shelter.

Is that how a performance is judged nowadays? Popularity is not a huge factor in my decision making process.

Date: December 17, 2012 00:39

tatters
I like the idea about having her go out there as just a tough little rock chick and focusing on the song, though. That would have been cool.

Agree! That could have been great!

Date: December 17, 2012 00:42

Even superstars get nervous. thumbs up

I pick up an odd tension from the clips of... ok we are doing this, this feels weird, is this working?

Potential for sparks to fly when jagger and gaga sing in each others faces, seems they could get crazy there, but even the band seems to be holding back musically watching the oddness unfold in front of them.

The song and the music did take second place to the spectacle, but it was strangely entertaining.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:05

GumbootCloggeroo
CindyC
to come out only to sing Gimme Shelter, in that ridiculous @#$%& getup was completely disrespectual to that song.
How should one dress in order to pay respects to that song? Should she have worn formal wear? It's a concert not a funeral! Who the f-uck cares! Close your eyes and enjoy the music.

I have to agree with gumboot. A song that is synonymous with Hells Angels beatings and a stabbing is disrespected by a pop singer dressed her way and performing her style of dancing? Even Mick used to dress quite outlandishly at one time. I think you make a weak argument for your dislike of her. BTW I am no fan of hers myself.

Date: December 17, 2012 01:16

CindyC
GumbootCloggeroo

Is that how a performance is judged nowadays? Popularity is not a huge factor in my decision making process.
I'm not judging her performance based on that. I haven't even seen it yet so I have no idea how it went. I was merely making an observation on youtube and shared it here smiling smiley

Date: December 17, 2012 01:22

The Sicilian
I have to agree with gumboot. A song that is synonymous with Hells Angels beatings and a stabbing is disrespected by a pop singer dressed her way and performing her style of dancing? Even Mick used to dress quite outlandishly at one time. I think you make a weak argument for your dislike of her. BTW I am no fan of hers myself.

First, I never said I dislike her. I don't own her music, but I know some of her songs and they're fun catchy things that I don't particulary mind.

What I'm saying is that she looked like a joke for a serious song. If she had dressed like that for an entire show, it wouldn't bother me so much because there would different types of songs that had to be accomodated, fun, upbeat ones too. But since it was just for that particular song, it was a bad choice and it distracted from the mood the song should be giving out.

Date: December 17, 2012 01:23

GumbootCloggeroo
CindyC
GumbootCloggeroo

I'm not judging her performance based on that. I haven't even seen it yet so I have no idea how it went. I was merely making an observation on youtube and shared it here smiling smiley

Oh, gotcha. In any event, this is just one assshole's opinion, which I'm certainly entitled to. I respect anyone on here having a different one - even if it's wrong! smiling bouncing smiley

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:49

Flashes in the pan don't have more than one huge, worldwide hit record over time. Which she has. I'd bet any of you Lady GaGa haters that she'll still be around, big on the scene in 5 years. She certainly stood toe to toe with Jagger last night and held her own. And god forbid someone should try to get attention with their 'look' in rock and roll?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:05

CindyC
The Sicilian

First, I never said I dislike her. I don't own her music, but I know some of her songs and they're fun catchy things that I don't particulary mind.

What I'm saying is that she looked like a joke for a serious song. If she had dressed like that for an entire show, it wouldn't bother me so much because there would different types of songs that had to be accomodated, fun, upbeat ones too. But since it was just for that particular song, it was a bad choice and it distracted from the mood the song should be giving out.

Ok we hear you, now wiggle your little butt back to Boston! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:12

CindyC
stupidguy2

Is she going to fall?
She has nice tits.
Her face is a sweatball?

LOL, I was thinking the same too. would she fall? Would her tit fall out? She has nice tits!!! Too distracting like a train wreck. Just couldn't look away.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2012 03:34

Since when is a Rolling Stones show supposed to be about the visual spectacle? [/quote]

You're kidding, right?

Date: December 17, 2012 03:35

Would ya "Rockman" ??

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 03:46

OMG.

I do not like Lady Gaga ONE little bit. She wont last.

BUT, she WAS great in Gimme Shelter!

Full stop. Dont care what she wore. She sang her parts well, and performed as I am sure the Stones wanted her to IN THIS SONG!

All IMHO - which is what we ALL are entitled to, respectfully.

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2012 03:47

... no ...no ... I'd rather a librarian with horn-rimmed glasses and her hair tied back

ROCKMAN

Date: December 17, 2012 03:56

Rockman
... no ...no ... I'd rather a librarian with horn-rimmed glasses and her hair tied back

Dwirty!

Date: December 17, 2012 04:38

Rockman

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home