Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12
Re: Lady Gaga
Posted by: NastyHabits ()
Date: December 16, 2012 06:58

slew
She did a good job. I liked her spot

She did. I thought "Oh no, there goes Jagger trying to keep up with what the REALLY COOL KIDS are listening to these days," but she does know how to sing.

Besides, Keith and Ronnie staring at her (fantastic) ass for almost the entire song was priceless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 07:02 by NastyHabits.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:01

I thought Florence's version was over the top, that was until I saw Lady Gaga's version.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:02

stonesrule
It seems like several of you, by your posts,appear to have problems with women or certainly don't respect them.

Lady G is musically very sound or she wouldn't have been invited to be on stage.
If she's good enough for Charlie Watts, she's good enough for me.

Amen. Seriously, remember when you were in junior high and everything was about being cool. And there were always those guys, kids to whom everything out of their realm of existence, sucked. I swear some people never grow out of that. If its good, its good. Enough with the knee-jerk 'sucks' 'she's-a-gimmick' comments. Remember, this is a band who brought a giant cock on stage. If any band understands larger-than-life its the Stones.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:06

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:07

I gotta agree with Stonesrule.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:08

Yes she's very talented. Only someone who hasn't done any investigation into her would say she wasn't.

She's hot (at her best, not when she's too freaky) and talented.

She plays piano, sings all kinds of ways well, and she writes her own material for real(even though I don't like some, I know she has talent).

Plus she does all that choreography stuff I don't like, but can appreciate that it takes hard work to do.

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:35

Lady Gaga was great. Best guest of this show. That's all I'm saying. Great.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:45

Gaga was great...sang her ass off...danced in front of Charlie and in between RW and KR, never tripped on those ridiculous stiletto platforms and wore an outfit that Jagger would have worn 40 years ago...only his would have had more rhinestones on it....anyone bellyaching over Gaga needs a drink.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:10

boston2006

The first song I see and hear from the concert. I am really fascinated with her performance and what she contributed to the song.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:13

OK - I've been touting the "let's be nice to GAGA" scene for the last couple of days.
While she didn't suck, I'm not loving the performance. Since this song is so special to me (and I think many other fans), it's a bit of an adjustment to hear GAGA doing it. I'm not sure how I feel about it right now. At the beginning, I thought she was going to nail it...and she did for the first 3 minutes but then the vocals felt like they were unravelling...however she regrouped towards the end. Nevertheless, I was a bit disappointed. smoking smiley

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:24

I don't know her at all nor do I care, but that was just awful, rubbish, pathetic...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:48

....she was just a visual thing ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:49

She gave her best, but Lisa was so much better on Thursday night

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:55

I think Mick was at a loss for what to do next...she stole it and rocked it. It was a lot of fun to watch

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:56

Horrible beyond belief

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:01

Pic by Kevin Mazur, posted on Rocks Off

Definitely the offspring of Cousin It and a mint humbug - but she can sing. I just don't really like Gimme Shelter live, even with Lisa.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:06

terraplane
Horrible beyond belief
Hmmm, no, I don't think so. That statement would describe yesterday's massacre, not Lady Gaga's performance which was pretty cool...

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:13

Green Lady
Pic by Kevin Mazur, posted on Rocks Off

Definitely the offspring of Cousin It and a mint humbug - but she can sing. I just don't really like Gimme Shelter live, even with Lisa.

It's from the Beetlejuice collection...

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:14

I liked it. She was fun.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:20

jazzbass
I liked it. She was fun.

Yeah. She's one of those people who I'm not a fan of their music, or even their genre, but I realize they have talent. And she came out, and as expected she was a little nutty (but when is Mick NOT nutty?) but seemed to be putting forth the effort. It wasn't a perfect performance, but it's only rock and roll. And she seemed to be having a ball in the audience throughout the rest of the concert.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:26

NoCode0680
jazzbass
I liked it. She was fun.

Yeah. She's one of those people who I'm not a fan of their music, or even their genre, but I realize they have talent. And she came out, and as expected she was a little nutty (but when is Mick NOT nutty?) but seemed to be putting forth the effort. It wasn't a perfect performance, but it's only rock and roll. And she seemed to be having a ball in the audience throughout the rest of the concert.
Well said.smoking smiley

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:31

Lady Gaga was great but nobody tops Lisa Fisher on this song...

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:32

micwer
She gave her best, but Lisa was so much better on Thursday night

I know its blasphemous to say this, but I've never liked their latter-day live versions of GM. Lisa is a good background vocalist, but IMO, generic.
GM has lines like 'Rape, murder.....its just a shot away....'
It's a dark song and Clayton's wail was just that, a wail...it gave the song that added urgency.
Gaga, I think, was trying to capture that. Say what you want about her, but she respects the music. When she sang on Bennett's album of standards, all the other contemporary 'guests' - Aguilera, Celine Dion, Mariah, Carrie Underwood, Michael Buble etc...tried to do their contemporary style and they sucked. It was bland. But Gaga was faithful to the vocalizations of 40s big band singers - she didn't try to flash it up.....she was true to the style and it felt authentic , it was fantastic.
She may look and seem outrageous, but you take all that away - and she's a musician.
In that respect, a song like GM needs that kind of urgency, almost desperate. Because that's the mood of the song. It had lost that with Lisa's proper rendition. It's not about who the more proper singer is, but who brings some edginess to it. And in light of what happened in CT yesterday, this song needed to be real again.
I think Gaga brought the song back to its original feel and not just as a vocal exercise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 09:37 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:45

I am a fan of Muddy and the Wolf, Sunnyboy and Willie D, Son House and Robert Johnson, and on and on. It probably applies to many on this sight.

...but in the big picture, definitely not to most Stones fans.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 16, 2012 10:25

jamesfdouglas
rebelrebel
jamesfdouglas
pinkfloydthebarber

that she sells millions of records while true musical icons can't get a decent record deal to save their lives should be an eye opener to ya too

She writes her own stuff, even designs her own clothes. She's self-made and has paid her dues.

As for my comment about her numbers, that was to illustrate to one of the other old culturally-dead old dicks here, that she's not a 'flash in the pan' and has been going strong for four years after finally hitting fame.

I get it, you don't like her pop-dance-style. Good for you, it's clear though how rock and roll and AWESOME you are, so you win ol' dog.

And what exactly is a "true musical icon who can't get a record deal" anyways? Please enlighten me.

She employs a team of designers as the "Haus of Gaga" collective, not quite the same as designing the stuff herself.

She does write her own material, can sing and has musical ability. That said, does anybody other than Gaga herself really believe though that Born This Way is the "album of the decade" and was "taking music to another level"? She is already making similar claims for her forthcoming Artpop album. Meanwhile in both album and ticket sales she is already in decline.

I understand you're not saying you like her work so I'm not meaning to be confrontational about that. I'm just trying to get across why I find her quite offensive. I haven't even started on the videos that are a scene for scene copy of Madonna ones. She's not remotely ground breaking or original but has brainwashed millions of people too young to know better that she is.

She's successful, her songs are catchy, she put in her time.
Anyways, we're all entitled to our opinions. I hope for everyone's sake that she does a good job tonight. Cheers.

And I'd still do her.

She did the job well enough last night. I admit it. smiling smiley

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: December 16, 2012 10:26

Was it just me or did she really miss a cue and lose her place in the music?? It felt disorganized and unsure of where it was going. It was a dancing girl in a music box. It was entertaining. She made the stage and the song her own. It just wasn't the Stones' version. grinning smiley (I think she was wasted.) It was a big day for her, tho. She loves the Stones and danced her heart out after in the crowd. She seems fun and entertaining. It was a scary almost trainwreck. And how did she balance on those platforms?!

Date: December 16, 2012 11:06

jamesfdouglas
dcba
Personnally I don't hate her, I think she's a phoney, an empty balloon blown out of proportions by the mainstream media.

Imho she doesn't rank higher than Donna Summer... would Jagger ever consider inviting DS onstage in the 70's? Hell no!

Then why LGG now? "Media buzz" is the answer. She learnt a lot from Prince (be rare and make each of your public/TV appearances an "event") but sadly she doesn't have 1% of his talent.

Gaga's a Warholian caricature that overstayed her "15 minutes of fame"... (nice sentence btw... >grinning smiley<)

I think she's going to be around a lot longer than you think.
Now in all seriousness, I DO get why a lot of older (and by older I mean older than me - 39), people confuse her with , say, a Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, or any winner of a Reality TV show (Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood,etc).

People, this isn't the case with her. She put in her time gigging herself in New York, then becamse a songwritier for Streamline five years ago. She's written three ablums for herself and does something today that seems incredible - she SELLS music. She also designs her own ridiculous outfits, and is the concept artist behind her own shows.

She's NOT a Mickey Mouse Club Kid turned pop-star like her pop-peers. She also does a HELL of a lot of charity work, and donates millions to her causes. She's done more in 4 years as a phlianthropist, including money and HER OWN TIME, than all combined Stones in 50 years. Think about that.

I was asleep, I think, when all this happened - but jamesdouglas, I agree with every one of your posts here. And with every word you wrote.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 16, 2012 11:55

I was at the show and the atmosphere was electric when she was on stage (and I doubt that anyone was there to see Gaga - I know I wasn't), and her performance was very good. Also, I don't think I've ever seen any "guest" go back into the audience to watch most of the rest of the show. She was at the rail outside the tongue pit, just like any other fan, rocking out. She has my respect for doing that.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 16, 2012 12:08

Gaga was fun to see. It shook up Jagger, it seemed....seeing her wierd moves, and her walking away from him instead of being starstruck by him, when doing the duet

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 16, 2012 12:22

She sucked. All tastes aside she didn't add anything good.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home