Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354Next
Current Page: 53 of 54
Re: Show number 1: London O2 Arena Nov. 25 show updates
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: December 1, 2012 13:23

Seem to be a bootleg dvd of this show now thats not made of youtube clips:

[www.rockindvd.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-01 13:23 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 1, 2012 17:09

Someone here is posting the complete show on YouTube: only Part 1 (up to Out Of Control) so far, but keep an eye on this guy...

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: December 1, 2012 18:08

Just back to my home after London on sunday then one week working in Paris then Orléans.
Thanks for the clips and the pictures. Great great show.

Am i the only one to have seen Jerry Hall and Anita Pallenberg?
After MR, Mick T. came near the pit and kissed them.
There was Marlon as well (holding a baby) with his wife and many others...

Gazza, in case you don't have it, here the way to see the Ukrainian TV where we appear around 1'15

[www.youtube.com]

Re: London O2 Arena Nov. 25 show updates
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 1, 2012 19:06

Mathijs
Lorenz
Mathijs
Lorenz
The fact that Mathijs is excited for those shows is almost more exciting than the shows themselves...

Well finally they give the fans what they want!

Mathijs

Fair enough. Will you mingle with the rest of us for a beer on Thursday?

I sure will. Where? In that pub at the entrence?

Mathijs
waiting for your review, Mathijs! Weren't you there.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 1, 2012 19:48

Mathijs was there on the 29th I suspect you'd find his review in that topic over there.

TheBlockbuster
Seem to be a bootleg dvd of this show now thats not made of youtube clips:

[www.rockindvd.com]

Are you sure, the sample reminds me of toomuchforme's videos ?

@Green Lady - thanks, it's nice to have the uninterrupted video, feel sorry for the guy for focusing on filming during the show though...

@marclaff - pictures or it never happened ! ;-) I think someone had mentioned Jerry Hall venturing into the pit at one point. I did see Dandelion/Angela sit in front of Keith with some small kids during his set between the pit and the stage. Where these family members sitting at the front of A3?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-01 20:50 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: December 1, 2012 19:58

if this is the case gotdablouse I do no like the idea of making money with shared vids angry smiley

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: December 1, 2012 20:02

Well check for yourself [www.rockindvd.com] but I agree no one should be selling that stuff. UrbanSteel did the right thing (well he could have added credits I guess) when he made a DVD out of the YT clips and put it on HC.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 1, 2012 20:13

yes same vid for wanna be your man

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:19

toomuchforme
if this is the case gotdablouse I do no like the idea of making money with shared vids angry smiley

Absolutely right .

Re: London O2 Arena Nov. 25 show updates
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:45

Pie1
Misinformed tweeting : 'My friend just rang me from the stones concert. Eric clapman, Florence AND stones all doing gimme shelter... Omggggg'

This is weird. How did your uninformed friend know on the 25th that Clapton and Florence would be guesting on the 29th!?!

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 2, 2012 21:53

Don't know if it was the Stones who has choosed the pictures for the large screen,
and if it can be seen as their kind of tribute, but better late than never thumbs up

Credits : The original YT video uploader

HMN

Posted by: claudine ()
Date: December 3, 2012 12:02

Green Lady
Someone here is posting the complete show on YouTube: only Part 1 (up to Out Of Control) so far, but keep an eye on this guy...

Part 2

Date: December 3, 2012 18:34

a few more from mine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-03 18:37 by toomuchforme.

Date: December 3, 2012 19:47

Cool, I can see my watch and forehead in one of them ;-)

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: December 4, 2012 18:23

I still have some bits from the pit to put here, however I can't manage to upload my mp4 files (Samsung) to embedd them here.confused smiley Any advice would be welcome...

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: December 4, 2012 20:03

I seem to remember Mick saying, early into the gig, somthing like "we are now gonna do the full Their Satanic Majesties Request album from start to finish"... ha, does he think that we are not too keen on that one? (I luv 2000 Man)...

"till the next time..."

Star

Date: December 4, 2012 22:43

Yes he did, he kinda mumbled it though, I'm not sure too many people got it, gomper would have been nice...even better "In Another Land" with Bill on lead vox !

eismann
I still have some bits from the pit to put here, however I can't manage to upload my mp4 files (Samsung) to embedd them here.confused smiley Any advice would be welcome...

You can put them on YouTube they'll handle whatever you throw at them.

Date: December 5, 2012 17:56

Now here's an interesting review by John Niven of the Daily Record:

I came to bury Caesar not to praise him..but I left with my arms around his shoulders having a dance

“NO Elvis, Beatles or The Rolling Stones,” The Clash sang back in 1977. Yet 35 years on, seemingly hewn in granite, here they are.

I was one of the “lucky” 20,000 (and we’ll come back to those inverted commas around lucky) who saw The Rolling Stones’ first night at London’s 02 arena last Sunday.

Even luckier, we had some of the best seats in the house – down the front, stage left. (A cool Kevin Spacey to my right, Heston Blumenthal to my left, if you’re interested.)

While Mick Jagger wasn’t within spitting distance, I could certainly have thrown something at him – an act that, before the gig, I wouldn’t have totally ruled out.

Because, like any sane person who loves rock music, I’m able to simultaneously hold two opposing views in my head when it comes to the Stones. Their music, especially at its late 60s-early 70s peak, is timeless and peerless. The fact that every few years they get on to the outrageously priced ticket treadmill to perform it for big profit is less inspiring.

More than a 100 quid for a seat way up in the Gods? A fact cheekily acknowledged by Jagger when he said: “How you doing up in the cheap seats?” Before adding, with perfect timing, “Yeah, not so cheap, are they?”

So I had mixed feelings about what “lucky” might mean. But, this time around, with Keith and Mick both bumping 70, well, this really might be the last time. And it was an indoor arena gig – an “intimate” 20,000 as opposed to the outdoor stadiums of 80,000 the band usually play, where the sound is subject to wind, weather and great distances.

I needn’t have worried. After a slightly rickety opener of I Wanna Be Your Man, the sound was magnificent – loud, clear and direct.

And there were Jagger and Richards in the flesh, their huge heads as enduring and monolithic as the statues on Easter Island.

You quickly noticed something else. From the two small vintage guitar amps behind Richards to the tiny drum kit Charlie Watts plays, the Stones were belting it out with not a lot more equipment than the Counterfeit Stones would use to play a pub down the road.

Compare this to the wall of noise a stadium band like Muse produces with backing tapes and additional keyboard effects or the 24-track-studio of guitar trickery housed under the stage when U2 play and what the Stones were doing became even more human and impressive.

To go back to the Clash, singer Joe Strummer once said something about the excitement of the sound made between just four people, about how, without loops and computers, you had to manufacture everything you heard in that moment.

Sure, there were some backing singers, keyboards and sax occasionally but pretty much everything you heard was being created by Richards, Watts, Ronnie Wood and bass player Darryl Jones.

Rock theory holds that the Stones as a creative unit ended around Tattoo You in 1981 and that, after this, they simply became an exercise in money-making.

There’s plenty to contradict that. Not only the new song Doom And Gloom but also the stand-outs studded through the 80s, 90s and beyond – Undercover Of The Night, Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions, all of which would shame catalogues of bands 20 years younger.

But, even if we allow that gigs like this are largely exercises in nostalgia, that the best you can hope for is the odd flash of what the group were in their heady imperial phase, well, there were plenty.

Not even the most cynical spectator could have withstood Mary J Blige guesting on Gimme Shelter. She soared, inspiring Jagger, the two of them singing for their lives as Richards threw in stinging lead breaks and shaping those chords in the way only he seems able.

The man next to me – a stranger – pulled his sleeve up and showed me his forearm, puckered into goosebumps like the skin of a plucked chicken.

Mick Taylor came on stage for Midnight Rambler. The “baby-faced guitarist”, as he was always called after replacing Brian Jones, has clearly spent time in Greggs since leaving the band. (Then you remember, this is what most men look like in their late 60s. But the pact the other Stones struck with the devil might not have involved playing the blues so much as being given insanely fast metabolisms.)

But the music? The guitar interplay between Taylor and Richards? If you closed your eyes, it could have been 1969 again, with all of the menace and dread of the song intact – the end of the decade of optimism and love meeting the bleakness of the 70s at knifepoint, at Altamont. Sadly, Bill Wyman got dragged on too, looking like a 2000-year-old Womble with the flu. But you can’t have everything.

And the run of songs, from Midnight Rambler to Miss You, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Sympathy For The Devil, You Can’t Always Get What You Want and Jumpin’ Jack Flash. You can’t believe one band wrote them all.

I came not to praise Caesar but to bury him. I left with my arm around Caesar, dancing and singing and not a little ashamed of my cynical pre-concert self.

Tickets are going on sale for a few more shows. They will surely be very expensive. But, in the words of the great Ferris Bueller, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: December 5, 2012 18:15

Cool review.
That pretty much summarizes the discussions before and after the show here at IORR.
Damn expensive, but oh so great.

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: December 5, 2012 22:12

Thanks for the tip. Here now some more bits from the pit, hope it works. Initially I did not want to film at all to get the full feeling of the show. Then I did some short clips (because of security) as it was such a show!

video: [youtu.be]

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Date: December 5, 2012 22:44

Thanks, something wrong with your link, all your videos are here : [www.youtube.com]

If you want to link to them directly just copy and paste the URL of the clip, it will be parsed by the forum software automatically :

I was a bit more to the left but it takes me back to the pit on the 25th, thanks!

Posted by: chop ()
Date: December 5, 2012 22:48

O2 is such a weird looking complex. Like somebody pulled a tarp over a porcupine

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 6, 2012 02:34

Green Lady
And the run of songs, from Midnight Rambler to Miss You, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Sympathy For The Devil, You Can’t Always Get What You Want and Jumpin’ Jack Flash. You can’t believe one band wrote them all.

That's my favorite aspect of this band...and totally true.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: December 6, 2012 03:39

Justin
Green Lady

thumbs up

Date: December 6, 2012 09:38

Zagalo
Justin
Green Lady

thumbs up

Not my words - John Niven's. But thumbs up also!

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: December 6, 2012 22:30

Dumb question.
How and when the upper lip disappear?
Is it an inflatable and it could disappear between 2 songs when the stage is dark.
I'm sure the screen was bigger for Paint it black.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: December 7, 2012 14:12

marclaff
Dumb question.
How and when the upper lip disappear?
Is it an inflatable and it could disappear between 2 songs when the stage is dark.
I'm sure the screen was bigger for Paint it black.

I was wondering the same. They looked to be made of metall. Suddenly they were gone. As I was inside the Pit I was focused on each Stones and not on the lips.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 7, 2012 14:56

On the 25th the teeth went off after the 1st song as far as I remember

The lips after the 3rd but not really sure...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: December 7, 2012 14:59

Link to the videos thread:

[www.iorr.org]

The teeth have already disappeared before the fan video is shown: the lips deflate and disappear towards the end of Paint It Black (around the time that the stage "turns a deeper blue" )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-07 15:05 by Green Lady.

official DOOM & GLOOM live video
Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: April 22, 2013 16:41

nice to see that some of us (me smiling smiley) made it into the official DOOM & GLOOM live video:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 16:42 by Stoneswolf.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354Next
Current Page: 53 of 54

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home