Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Fans invited into the Paris rehearsals - lifetime experience
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 10, 2012 17:33

mickscarey
JC invited me to watch 2.5 hours rehearsals in LA the day before before the Wiltern show. Other than Stones, security, and tech people, I was only one. Unreal

christ...i thought he was more inclusive...why didn't he save the rest of us waiting out there??

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: November 10, 2012 17:40

Point?

Date: November 10, 2012 17:43

So far the press doesn't seem to be that interested in this special event. I found these:

[www.leparisien.fr] (the main source for the other French articles, as far as I can understand)

[www.franceinter.fr]

[fjva.wordpress.com]

[fr.news.yahoo.com]

[actu.orange.fr]

[www.examiner.com]

I only looked for articles/news in French, English and German (no found). Nothing about it on rollingstones.com, their Facebook or their Twitter. So I don't think it was a PR stunt first and foremost. Though of course it will be shared among fans and these are the ones who are supposed to like them and buy tickets. But first of all I see this as a very nice gesture by the band. I thought "Wow, unvbelieveable", when I read it. Congratulations to the lucky few!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 10, 2012 18:42

Nice detective work, so two sources, bv's article and that "Le Parisien" article with the source possibly being william060190 who posted in this thread and who doesn't seem to be a Stones insider based on his previous posts. The article is unsigned and makes it sound like someone from "Le Parisien" was invited...it's a bit odd, one of the 32 possibly knows someone there and shared his good fortune and was coaxed into writing an article...doesn't really matter in the end.

Let's have a thought for the regulars who'd been there very often and who couldn't make that day, including a guy who's been following them for 40+ years and who was the first on location.

Posted by: william060190 ()
Date: November 10, 2012 20:18

Gotdablouse, je ne suis pas l'auteur de cet article du "Parisien", j'ai passé bien des après-midi d'octobre et de novembre à écouter ces répétitions et aussi à tendre l'oreille. smileys with beer Et bien des heures aussi devant le Virgin...
Mais en fait, tout cela n'est pas vraiment arrivé...winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-10 20:26 by william060190.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 10, 2012 20:33

BV - I just read your report. That must have been awesome!!!! I am so jealous. I am really glad you got to do that. That is every fan's dream!! WOW!!

Date: November 10, 2012 20:37

@william060190 - ok ;-) Et tu étais là hier aussi, avec une guitare ? N'hésite pas à me mettre un mail, il est visible...ah je vois que le tien aussi, ok c'est parti !

Sorry for branching off to French guys, william060190 says he wasn't the source for the Parisien article, not that it really matters but I guess those who think it was a PR stunt will still have their doubts...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-10 21:01 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: November 10, 2012 22:34

I'm very happy for all of you who were there, a real dream made true. Thanks for sharing your memories, I can imagine how you felt, and will always dream with something similar happening to me. Watching the stones in studio is maybe the best thing that can happen, only surpassed by my little daughter...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 10, 2012 22:38

Let's face it, we're all extremely envious, and we can all be extremely happy too, for the people who got in.

As for publicity, I imagine bv's attended a boatload of rehearsals in the past and no one got in then.
I think everything the Stones do will get a certain amount of publicity. I like to believe they did it as
a gesture to the fans, and it probably didn't hurt their playing either, to perform again before a real audience
before the four big shows.

These were essentially the same people or a similar group that made it into the two small club shows too,
and therefore were somewhat trusted to act in a relatively genteel manner.

Not having any more info than what was posted here, this is all my opinion.
Whatever the case, to me this is a cause for celebration, without expecting more.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 10, 2012 23:07

gotdablouse
I was there, loved every second of it

That's exactly what it's all about. You were one of the lucky few. Cherish that moment for the rest of your life and don't let anyone take that feeling away from you.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 10, 2012 23:12

They do have guests at the rehearsals occationally. Usually family, friends and VIP people. It helps to be famous. I have been at many rehearsals the past few tours in Toronto, Munich, Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris etc, but I have never been invited in. They do allow one or two fans from time to time, but not the entire group being outside, like it happened on Thursday in Paris. I am pretty sure this was a one-off and not routine. The Rolling Stones are a bit unpredictable, that's the charm, but that's also the challenge.

Bjornulf

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 10, 2012 23:12

mickscarey
JC invited me to watch 2.5 hours rehearsals in LA the day before before the Wiltern show. Other than Stones, security, and tech people, I was only one. Unreal

Did you do a deal with him?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: November 10, 2012 23:41

bv
They do have guests at the rehearsals occationally. Usually family, friends and VIP people. It helps to be famous. I have been at many rehearsals the past few tours in Toronto, Munich, Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris etc, but I have never been invited in. They do allow one or two fans from time to time, but not the entire group being outside, like it happened on Thursday in Paris. I am pretty sure this was a one-off and not routine. The Rolling Stones are a bit unpredictable, that's the charm, but that's also the challenge.

thumbs up

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: November 11, 2012 00:09

bv
The Rolling Stones are a bit unpredictable, that's the charm, but that's also the challenge.

Absolutely

-------------------

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 11, 2012 00:19

angee
As for publicity, I imagine bv's attended a boatload of rehearsals in the past and no one got in then.

you do possess quite the imagination

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 11, 2012 00:23

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 11, 2012 00:37

cool , is this a way of making up for the ticket prices lol

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: November 11, 2012 00:39

bv

just curious , bv , do they know you and what you've set up here ? (iorr)

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 11, 2012 01:04

bv
This is so lovely to read.
XXOO - LOVE YOU GUYS...STONES FOREVER smoking smiley

Date: November 11, 2012 01:39

Well I won't speak for bv but as far as I saw he received no special treatment in Bondy, he was just one of us, as the other die hard who'd flown in from Japan just after Trabendo.

Hey Stones People, Radio FIP are currently having 10 hours of non stop programming, tune in : [www.fipradio.fr]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 02:14 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: November 11, 2012 18:57

Any dancing?

Biggest frustration any rock fan has is being corralled to your seat.
Can't dance from there, although I've tried. I guess all the concert
hall riots of '50s dance halls put a stop to that, not to mention all
that stargazing jazz. Sure envy the big band fans who did get to sock
hop to the hits of the day.

Date: November 11, 2012 20:35

Dancing ? Well we were all lined up alongside the 20 meter or so railing (were told not to lean as it wasn't designed for that) and I'm not sure if it was the sheer emotion of being there but I for one could not help but groove rather visibly to the music, especially on "Worried about You" when Mick started jumping around like a man possessed, and I remember thinking to myself that it was not a particularly "get up and dance" tune but it was what it was. Unlike at the Trabendo there was no massive crush from the side and the back so that probably helped with the "grooving" ;-)

I managed to pull some of my thoughts together and came up with this "report" that bv has kindly posted on the "Mini-Trabendo" page [www.iorr.org] - I tried to make it read "the way it happened" but of course it's missing the visuals, maybe I could go back there on an off-day at the studio and take some pictures...anyway here goes:

Bondy - Paris Rehearsals - 08/11/2012

(picture taken the next day but shows the "setup", including the "infamous" gate where we lined up)

It was about 6.45pm and the Stones had just finished rehearsing "Going to a Go Go" when we heard people walking towards the gate like when a car is about to make its way out or in and we're kindly asked to clear the way temporarily but when a now familiar voice (Ronnie's assistant) said "on va vous laisser rentrer" (we're going to let you in) we didn't immediately understand what was going on, at least I didn't...I thought we would be let in the yard or in the lobby...then they said "come in 5 by 5"...ok we'll be given a quick tour of the studio in small groups? I was in the second group that made it inside the lobby and there Mick's assistant greeted us and told us to take off our coats and bags and write our names down on a list, we were all looking at each other, grinning. Once all of us were in (32 it turned out) we were briefed: "as a special "thank you" you will be able to listen to the rehearsals for 30 minutes, no noise, the band is working, if security says something you need to do it, don't lean on the railing"...and off we went into a maze of corridors with staff placed at each intersection to guide us and finally up the stairs of the mezzanine overlooking the huge 450 square meters of Studio 5 and everyone was there waiting for us, we lined up and with the 20 meter or so balcony there was mostly one line, Keith asked how we were doing and everyone loosened up a bit after being swept off our feet. Keith's amps were roaring, they quickly launched into "Live with Me", it was unreal, Bjornulf of IORR was just to my left, very moved too...

(From the Stones Twitter Feed - 11/10/2012)

.. I scanned the whole place, trying to memorize it forever, there were four large sofas, the rugs that were seen on the promo shots posted on twitter, a very old tape recorder on a table, newspapers, nothing was hidden...the crew was looking at us, some seemed quite moved too, others were staying focused, on the studio floor and on the mezzanine. Clearly they were taking a bit of a risk letting 32 people in that they didn't know even if some faces were very familiar by now, if something went wrong during this impromptu event a few weeks before some crucial concerts it would certainly be no end of trouble for them. The Stones were working as if we weren't around, Mick, Ronnie and Keith huddled together before the start of "One More Shot" to hum Ronnie’s guitar part in the intro, they restarted some transitions several times like for the second chorus on OMS and Keith signaled to us good humoredly when Mick forgot one part...or during “That’s How Strong My Love Is” when they told Charlie several times how they wanted him to slow down before they restarted the song...I almost felt we were almost prying on them in these intimate band moments but if it worked for them, fine with me!

We’d been told to be quiet but at the end of “Live with Me” it was impossible not to clap and since no one objected we did it again after each song. After about 20 minutes, I knew time was running out so I turned around towards Ronnie’s assistant who joked that it was over and we told him that it was the first time they did something like this and the next times I turned around he just smiled. “Worried About You” was fabulous with Mick on keyboard next to Chuck to start with and a subtle rhythm guitar by Keith (oh and unlike the sonic maelstrom of the Trabendo the sound was perfect, you could hear every single note that Keith played) and then Mick started jumping around for the last part, really getting into it with the band, not acting it out for the audience. I had to force myself to look at Charlie, it was crazy...

In the end we stayed 52 minutes on the mezzanine and it concluded with Mick thanking us for our support, for standing outside for hours, saying he didn’t understand why we did that, people saying thank you, thank you for the Trabendo, and he replied “this was a mini-Trabendo”, we said “see you in London”, a Japanese fan who flew in for the rehearsals said “see you Japan” and he chuckled...a last peek before going down the stairs, the maze of corridors, I bumped into a cable canal, back into the lobby, we hugged, it was over, we headed out, shook hands with the crew, thanked them.

What a present !

Just after we came out, hugs and big smiles (sorry for the blurring)

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-12 01:10 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: November 11, 2012 21:00

Awesome. Congratulations guys on being there and thank you so much for sharing the story, it was almost like being there. I got really nervous reading this, had to imagine myself in the situation. Really great smiling smiley

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 11, 2012 21:03

merci pour ces nouvelles exceptionnelles
thanks for these very special news
the boys are still in music and passion and that's something
hope I could be there

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 11, 2012 21:07

Great report on that memorable evening gotdablouse.Thanks for the pics as well .
I guessed it was studio 5 when I saw the studio website just about the time of the Trabendo gig.
52 minutes with The Rolling Stones at work is something you will all remember vividly. smileys with beer

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: November 11, 2012 21:34

Happy they did that, but I have to be honest: I´m a little bit jealous, in a certain positive way indeed. thumbs up

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: November 11, 2012 22:19

that is pretty awesome. congrats to those that got in!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 11, 2012 22:31

muenke
Happy they did that, but I have to be honest: I´m a little bit jealous, in a certain positive way indeed. thumbs up

Of course you are - Green Lady is green with envy, too. But it's lovely that this has happened to anybody, and if anyone deserves this it's the people who stood out in the cold and the wet for hours, night after night, just to hear the music. We've enjoyed all their setlist reports (something to dissect! something to whine about! what more could a good iorrean want?) and now we get to share a little bit of their delight. This kind of thing is one of the reasons I stay with this board.

Date: November 11, 2012 23:00

Wonderful story, thanks and congratulations

-------------------

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 12, 2012 00:50

Thank you for sharing!
Fantastic story!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2098
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home