Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 11, 2012 09:38

What were you expecting? The Rolling Stones exploring new territories after a seven year leave from the recording studio? Come on, they better stick to the old reciepe. They can't go wrong there. One More Shot may be an outtake from a Winos album but it's still better than anything "new" thay have tried since twenty years back. It's a rehash of classic Stones (a la Richards) elements but it's good enough. Ne sutor supra crepidam!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 11, 2012 09:46

Stoneage
What were you expecting? The Rolling Stones exploring new territories after a seven year leave from the recording studio? Come on, they better stick to the old reciepe. They can't go wrong there. One More Shot may be an outtake from a Winos album but it's still better than anything "new" thay have tried since twenty years back. It's a rehash of classic Stones (a la Richards) elements but it's good enough. Ne sutor supra crepidam!

Well, what was I expecting? Honestly, not much. The Stones musical universe is already explored in all possible facettes, and there's nothing more to add. The only good thing about One More Shot seems to be that it's new, that it's a "fresh" recording. But I guess I'm not leaning too much out of the window to say that it will be forgotten pretty soon, just like, let's say Stealing My Heart from Forty Licks.

Posted by: NastyHabits ()
Date: November 11, 2012 10:10

Which is the best song: "One More Shot" or "One More Try"?

See, they both have a title that begins with the words "One More" and ends with a word that means "attempt", and they are both a low point of an album that has "Satisfaction" in it.

(I'd vote for "One More Shot".)

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 11, 2012 11:06

Stoneage

Imo 'One more shot' is one of the six songs recorded during Keef and Steve Jordan last sessions and probably should have been included on the new Winos album. I think it's a good song, but it would be much better sung by Keith and played by Winos: more powerful, with a better chorus and without the horrible 'na-na-na-na-na'.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 11, 2012 11:31

I find myself listening to OMS two or three times a day since it first leaked a few days ago whereas the novelty had already worn off with D&G at that stage. I think it's really good. Keith is present, Charlie is present, Mick is superb and there's a nice Ronnie solo. Actually I think Chuck's contribution is fine too. Will I be banned now?

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 11, 2012 12:03

rebelrebel
I find myself listening to OMS two or three times a day since it first leaked a few days ago whereas the novelty had already worn off with D&G at that stage. I think it's really good. Keith is present, Charlie is present, Mick is superb and there's a nice Ronnie solo. Actually I think Chuck's contribution is fine too. Will I be banned now?

with that opinion you indeed don't meet the expectations on this board.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 11, 2012 12:19

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod
i listened to the entire 3cd set last night...by the time i was done with the last 2 songs i was kinda thinking that maybe streets of love wasn't so bad after all....

You're right. Streets Of Love isn't so bad - it's 100% bad.

at least there's an attempt (a failed on, albeit) at making MUSIC. these new "songs" don't even go there....truly abysmal stuff.

With "D&G" that doesn't really matter since it is a straightforward rocker shouted through, plus has funny lyrics and rhythm track. But with "Shot" I agree with you. It starts irrating me, being such "Stones For Dummies" (that's the next category after 'by-the-numbers', and this not the first time they have visited there).

But yeah, "Streets of Love" probably weren't so bad after all... and "Don't Stop"" starts to sound like a classic... Those were the days..

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 12:21 by Doxa.

Date: November 11, 2012 12:31

KRiffhard
Stoneage

Imo 'One more shot' is one of the six songs recorded during Keef and Steve Jordan last sessions and probably should have been included on the new Winos album. I think it's a good song, but it would be much better sung by Keith and played by Winos: more powerful, with a better chorus and without the horrible 'na-na-na-na-na'.

I'm here with you. The song is boring as hell, but with Keith's vocal interpretation and Winos rougher and fatter touch, this might have been better. Funny though, I used to think that certains Winos songs would have sounded better if being done by The Stones, and Jagger singing (and finishing) them. Well, this song shows that that scenario is not a winning receipt always. Jagger says that he finished it a bit (lyrics), but I think the addition was really minimal. The whole song sounds so Richards/Winos. 'Poor man's Winos'grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 12:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 11, 2012 12:37

"Don't Stop" was also a regressive track. Still, I liked it. Classic Stones ingredients. "One More Shot" is really more of a typical Keith song than a Stones cliche. Something that would have fitted well on a Winos album.

Date: November 11, 2012 13:03

Stoneage
"Don't Stop" was also a regressive track. Still, I liked it. Classic Stones ingredients. "One More Shot" is really more of a typical Keith song than a Stones cliche. Something that would have fitted well on a Winos album.

"Don't Stop" if anything was a pure 'Stones For Dummies' number (my point above was ironical).But that doesn't mean I don't like the song; actually I do...

Which makes me think that probably "Mixed Emotions" is like a prototype of the song they have in their mind when they are thinking making a pop-tuned typical Stones-sounding rocker (a potential 'hit'). At its time of release it sounded nicely nostalgic, having so many old familiar features in a rather contemporary easy-listening form, a bit of melodic hook - or some other supposed catchy idea - in the chorus, etc. This receipt has been borrowed ever since. And it is no co-incidental that "Take it So Hard" derives from the same period - another song where the past meets present and shows the direction for future - but there Richards being more 'ambitious' in his handling of soundscape. More 'avantgarde'...

And wouldn't those two songs the ones comes to mind when listening to "One More Shot"? For me eyes the effort of making a rough Keith/Winos song a more 'pop' and 'ear-friendly' just don't go out right. Perhaps Jagger have should have been more determinate like with "Mixed Emotions" - "we need a minor chord there"grinning smiley - if he had a will, but most likely he didn't. They didn't do not enough to develop the song. Now it ends up sounding 'too light Winos song' or 'too stupid Stones song'.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 13:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 11, 2012 13:16

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 11, 2012 13:21

Doxa
Stoneage

"Don't Stop" if anything was a pure 'Stones For Dummies' number (my point above was ironical).But that doesn't mean I don't like the song; actually I do...

Which makes me think that probably "Mixed Emotions" is like a prototype of the song they have in their mind when they are thinking making a pop-tuned typical Stones-sounding rocker (a potential 'hit'). At its time of release it sounded nicely nostalgic, having so many old familiar features in a rather contemporary easy-listening form, a bit of melodic hook - or some other supposed catchy idea - in the chorus, etc. This receipt has been borrowed ever since. And it is no co-incidental that "Take it So Hard" derives from the same period - another song where the past meets present and shows the direction for future - but there Richards being more 'ambitious' in his handling of soundscape. More 'avantgarde'...

And wouldn't those two songs the ones comes to mind when listening to "One More Shot"? For me eyes the effort of making a rough Keith/Winos song a more 'pop' and 'ear-friendly' just don't go out right. Perhaps Jagger have should have been more determinate like with "Mixed Emotions" - "we need a minor chord there"grinning smiley - if he had a will, but most likely he didn't. They didn't do not enough to develop the song. Now it ends up sounding 'too light Winos song' or 'too stupid Stones song'.

- Doxa

I agree. Stones did a good job with Keith/Winos outtakes 'Mixed Emotions'-'Almost hear you sigh' and with 'Love is strong' (aka 'Wicked as it seems' part II winking smiley ) but OMS should have been more powerful and with a stronger chorus.

Posted by: johnnyguitar ()
Date: November 11, 2012 13:36

It's a good song, but I agree the horrible 'na-na-na-na-na's sound vapid and stupid. But the rest of the song is cool. I'm pleasantly surprised.
I think it would have sounded better if a bluesy guitar solo replaced the 'na-na-na-na-na'.
For example remember how the solo in "Plundered My Soul" lifted that song?
Sigh, if only they had him back permanently...

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 11, 2012 13:52

You know instead of putting the Stones under the microscope perhaps having the mirror point back at the "super analyzers" is a worthwhile exercise also.

Jeez, some near-seventy-year-olds get together for a few days in a recording studio and record a few songs. We all now have the luxury of not even having to buy the music. No need to even tape off of the radio!

Do we really have to analyze these songs to death and compare and contrast them with the totality of the Stones output over the years and their solo work? Maybe when they recorded this stuff they were just living in the moment and they didn't and don't give a rat's azz relative to what they recorded previously or what the nano-critics will have to say.

Either you like it or you don't or your toe taps or it doesn't. Can't it just be as simple as that?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 11, 2012 14:00

After letting so many fans vent their spleen, I'd like to say great song! This and Gloom and Doom are great returns. Nice groove, some great interesting guitars, and some great backing vocals! Nice funky rocker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 15:45 by whitem8.

Posted by: johnnyguitar ()
Date: November 11, 2012 14:06

MileHigh
You know instead of putting the Stones under the microscope perhaps having the mirror point back at the "super analyzers" is a worthwhile exercise also.

Jeez, some near-seventy-year-olds get together for a few days in a recording studio and record a few songs. We all now have the luxury of not even having to buy the music. No need to even tape off of the radio!

Do we really have to analyze these songs to death and compare and contrast them with the totality of the Stones output over the years and their solo work? Maybe when they recorded this stuff they were just living in the moment and they didn't and don't give a rat's azz relative to what they recorded previously or what the nano-critics will have to say.

Either you like it or you don't or your toe taps or it doesn't. Can't it just be as simple as that?

Just wondering Milehigh what is your definition of a critic, as opposed to a "nano-critic"? Looking forward to your answer... Are you saying a critic just basically mentions the "toe taps or it doesn't"? Or are you saying that both critics and "nano-critics" are equally awful? How do you discern between the two critic categories?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 11, 2012 14:12

MileHigh

You got it wrong, people don't "put the song under the microscope" and then decide whether they like it or not. One either like the song, or one doesn't - and after that one tries to find the words about why it sucks.....

A couple of pages back, a poster complained about why people only said that it was a "lousy song" without "explaining why"
Can't you double-whiners ever agree about how the whining is supposed to be done ???

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 15:38 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 11, 2012 14:13

Who knows? Such an obvious Keith riff that makes me wonder if Keith should have taken it all the way;
thinking of "Take it so Hard", "How I Wish" where his vocal style shines, and IMO Jagger would have ruined it
versus
a cut like "Soul Survivor" that absolutely needed Jagger to take it from a direction less stroll to a rock'n roll statement.

I have to listen to it more.

Date: November 11, 2012 14:33

TheBlockbuster

Hmmm.... I need readjust my original verdict that this cut will not work live. No, I think they are able to make something out of it. I like the guitars doing the riff, it is catchy - I wonder why they didn't use it more in the song, like starting the whole thing with it? Now it is a bit buried to the song - which I think the basic problem with the song structurally; it has lots of little things that do not make a coherent whole (like the 'nananana' part, and that Arabic sounding 'Iloveloveloveyou' oddity). The Stones generally are masters in creating the 'drama' of the song, how it 'flows', but I think this time that is not happening.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 14:48 by Doxa.

Date: November 11, 2012 14:43

Erik_Snow
MileHigh

You got it wrong, people don't "put the song under the microscope" and then decide whether they like it or not. One either like the song, or one doesn't - and after that one tries to find the words about why it sucks.....

Very well put, Erik.

But I think it is also rather natural that these two songs are put "under the microscope" more than usual, because (a) they actually are their first two new songs for seven years(thereby having a bigger interest than generally, since that won't happen too often), and (b) each of them is released in a rather profilic way, as singles; they are not just 'album fillers' (2 out of 15 or so every two yaers or something.)

By their releasing policy, The Stones do actually put their songs under more bigger scrutiny.

- Doxa

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 11, 2012 16:14

The sound's good, and yes, my toe taps. The different bits that all reminded me of something else at first are starting to blend into one song, and I really like both that spacious opening riff of Keith's and the ending with the guitar solo. It's growing on me, and I think it should be enjoyable live, but I don't think I'm ever going to be reconciled to that lub-a-lub-a-lub-a bit.

I'm still trying to hear how it's supposed to resemble Randy Whore, which is one of my favourite outtakes. Unless it's one of those musician things, where they can recognise a riff played upside down and backwards at the wrong speed, and I can't.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 11, 2012 16:25

Doxa
But I think it is also rather natural that these two songs are put "under the microscope" more than usual, because (a) they actually are their first two new songs for seven years(thereby having a bigger interest than generally, since that won't happen too often), and (b) each of them is released in a rather profilic way, as singles; they are not just 'album fillers' (2 out of 15 or so every two yaers or something.)

And another thing....it's quite possible that these 2 songs will be the last Rolling Stones songs ever. Not that one can say for sure, but...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 11, 2012 17:05

Erik_Snow
Doxa

And another thing....it's quite possible that these 2 songs will be the last Rolling Stones songs ever. Not that one can say for sure, but...

i can try if you'd like...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2012 17:06

Doxa

Perhaps Jagger have should have been more determinate like with "Mixed Emotions" - "we need a minor chord there"grinning smiley -

- Doxa

Why...you're actually quite funny!

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: November 11, 2012 17:27

You just said somnething good about this song? Finally! Comne on dude, excellent lyrical concept. Mick sounds great on the 7th chord "one more ShOT." That's probably why it's better for Mick to sing, especially on the chorus. I sill haven't heard it once on the radio here in Central Massachustts. Same with Doom and Gloom. Zero airplay.

Doxa
TheBlockbuster

Hmmm.... I need readjust my original verdict that this cut will not work live. No, I think they are able to make something out of it. I like the guitars doing the riff, it is catchy - I wonder why they didn't use it more in the song, like starting the whole thing with it? Now it is a bit buried to the song - which I think the basic problem with the song structurally; it has lots of little things that do not make a coherent whole (like the 'nananana' part, and that Arabic sounding 'Iloveloveloveyou' oddity). The Stones generally are masters in creating the 'drama' of the song, how it 'flows', but I think this time that is not happening.

- Doxa

Date: November 11, 2012 17:48

Slimharpo
You just said somnething good about this song? Finally! Comne on dude, excellent lyrical concept. Mick sounds great on the 7th chord "one more ShOT." That's probably why it's better for Mick to sing, especially on the chorus.

Actually I have said something good about it earlier in this thread... I think my 'second day' review in page 7 is rather positive, and I have also praised Jagger's vocals.. but yeah, it is not going to be favorite numbers...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 17:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 11, 2012 18:02

Doxa
Slimharpo
You just said somnething good about this song? Finally! Comne on dude, excellent lyrical concept. Mick sounds great on the 7th chord "one more ShOT." That's probably why it's better for Mick to sing, especially on the chorus.

Actually I have said something good about it earlier in this thread... I think my 'second day' review in page 7 is rather positive, and I have also praised Jagger's vocals.. but yeah, it is not going to be favorite numbers...

- Doxa

I agree- the song is almost a watered down of Mixed Emotions. On first hearing it seemed I like was missing "Button your lips baby....) The chords are nearly identical, without the second minor chord (You're'not the only one...).

And it seems the add-on of na-nan-na seem to replace the meaning of the song itself.

Mixed Emotions is one of my all time favorites and seems to trifle the nerves so to speak.

I propose skip the song entirely on this tour and simply play Mixed Emotions itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 18:11 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 11, 2012 18:02

Doxa
Slimharpo

- Doxa

i will never waver in my hatred. fickleness is not a noble attribute.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: November 11, 2012 18:10

Yes! Two positive comments. To me the lyrics are much better than the other songs it is compared to. So much of a richer lyrical context than Mixed Emotions which is much more direct. This one is more sarcastic. The junkie claiming "give me one more shot." The chorus is very different and much more vocally and musically interesting. I do detect a melody on the versus. Where as on Doom and Gloom you can insert the Rough Justice chorus because the versus are sung so simiarly, Mick seems to be singing a song from the opening. Of course it's up to individual tastes if one likes the melody, but it does seems to be there. That's different from the basic shouting you get in some Stone's rockers like Mixed Emotions, Rough Justice and Doom and Gloom. That's not to say I don't like that shouting, but it is a contrast with One More Shot.

Date: November 11, 2012 18:23

Eileen, you shouldn't take it so hard. I've got mixed emotions from being a street fighting man that shook me all night long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 18:24 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1204
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home